[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>BW was already handholding and being stopped for story BS:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (227 KB, 861x1300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227 KB, 861x1300
>BW was already handholding and being stopped for story BS: The Games
>BW2 was better about handholding, but the story was still in your face
>In XY, you literally were incapable of reaching a new town without being stopped by your cancerous friends or some random shitter
>ORAS was a remake, so wasn't nearly as bad, but still had more interferences than I'd like
>Sun/Moon

Are you ready for a 2 hour slog and introduction of all your amazing friends until you get to pick your starter?
>>
File: 1463684105385.jpg (46 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1463684105385.jpg
46 KB, 500x373
>Having to deal with shit friends I couldn't careless about again
Please no just leave me alone
>>
I actually didn't mind everyone in my face in BW/2, I actually kind of cared about what the characters had to say. With XY you just want to kill yourself every time [they] show up.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 530x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 530x800
>>26487971
>going to fight the 5th gym
>try to enter
>Friend A stops me and says he's going through some problems
>Friend B hasn't been talking to him lately, he's wondering what's wrong
>you have to solve his friendship problems for him by going back and forth between the friends, getting their input
>in the end, you're rewarded with their praise and them talking about how cool you are
>>
>go into the second town
>get stopped every two feet
>your entire home town is in the pokemon center congratulated on you making it that far
>they give you a lucario for your job well done
>>
>>26487987
>having to solve friendship problems of people I dont care about
>solve problem only because plot wont let me go forward otherwise
>NPCs won't let me mind my own goddamn business in peace
>>
File: you.jpg (13 KB, 500x415) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
13 KB, 500x415
>start game
>go to leave town
>some faggot tells me that grass is dangerous
>won't let me leave
>continue this little game of chess for 2 hours
>i try to leave while my friend drags me back in and talks about grass
>mfw
>>
>>26488006
>lucario will never be your designated love interest in SM

because in XY it sure felt like it.
>>
>>26488144
Lucario will probably be the champion in SM
>>
File: LHR4ANm.jpg (14 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
LHR4ANm.jpg
14 KB, 480x270
>SM still wont have a option to skip tutorial
>SM still wont let me ignore companions
>SM still wont let me decide when I want to battle or not
>>
>>26488158
>You play as a shiny Lucario that talks telepathically in SM
>>
>>26488190
>>SM still wont let me decide when I want to battle or not
>wanting to have the choice
casual. if you have to run back to the Pokemon center before a surprise battle you might want to try Micromon
>>
>>26488232
Its not about Pokemon not being ready to battle you simple moron
>>
>>26488243
I'm sorry I can't read your mind. Would you please enlighten me as to what your ambiguous comment means
>>
>>26488249
Haven't you honestly ever been on your way to do something in-game and got sucked into a battle with your needy companions? All I want is to be able to choose "maybe later" and do my thing without having to be stopped every other city to fight a battle I didnt ask for
>>
>>26487954
>>BW2 was better about handholding, but the story was still in your face
Fuck no, it was miles worse than BW
>>
>start game
>do you know how to use Pokenav/Pokegear/Cellphone?
>"Yes"
>I'll just tell you anyways
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 447x686) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 447x686
>>26487954
>that moment at the start of BW when your """friends""" that you got to know only 3 minutes ago literally handhold you into the first route
Easily the most cringeworthy moment in the entire franchise.

I don't understand why they continue to ruin the rivals harder and harder every gen after all the fucking backlash gen 3's crappy rivals got over the years. It's like they're purposefully trying to make the entire fanbase mad.
>>
>>26488343
Nice reading comprehension retard
>>
>>26489411
But they've been your characters' friends for years. And you actually get to know them, unlike the XY rivals. I don't see the problem at all, I actually liked that moment a lot.
>>
I don't mind my hands being held. They get cold when you've been alone for so long...
>>
>>26489489
Humans evolved testicles as hand warmers.
>>
>>26489500
But what if you are of the side breed that didn't evolve those?
>>
>>26488343
This. BW2 is the only Pokemon game where literally every HM is handed to you by an NPC who approaches you without your choice.
>>
>>26489440
I'm talking more about the actual player's attachment to the characters, not some imaginary childhood of the protag that happened only off-screen.

That's why all of the GFs attempts of writing a story have fell so flat on the face so far, they just never give the player enough time to actually start giving a fuck about any of the characters. They tell you that you somehow do and you're supposed to deal with it. There is no build up what so ever.

It doesn't help that the way Pokemon games present themselves heavily encourages button mashing.
>>
>>26489510
Cold hands
>>
>>26489544
Not only does Pokemon encourage button mashing, it's also a player-driven experience. Choice of Pokemon, how you level them, what moves they learn, and how you progress in the game are all fundamental player choices. Railroading a player into a specific story path goes against this "choose your own adventure" theme.
>>
File: 1459566630537.jpg (65 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
1459566630537.jpg
65 KB, 390x470
>>26488296
>big bad guys show up terrorizing some kids
>you and your rival are coincidentally there
>rival: "you got my back, right?"
>you: "maybe later" as you proceed to go look for that female regional bug you're having a hard time finding
>>
Never played XY. Was watching a few episodes of a lets play, and the guy was in the second city? first city? and literally every other fucking NPC was handing shit out. Then he goes out and battles some trainers and all their pokes were like 8 levels under his.

No thanks.
>>
>>26489741
>literally every other fucking NPC was handing shit out
Welcome to literally every game after BW except maybe for ORAS, but that one was a remake anyways.
>>
>>26489440
>But they've been your characters' friends for years.
Your character's friends for years ≠ Your friend for years.

They need some development along side you before you can just start calling them bros
>>
>>26488190
>>26487987
>>26487971
>>26487954

Be honest, OP is that you? Because if so, then you will have a fine career as a magazine ad model, or a commercial spokesman. Hell, you might be the next Billy Mays
>>
>>26489765
lol no. you'd usually get a shitty TM, and a great ball or something. maybe if you looked hard enough, you'd find a hidden Hyper Potion or something.

>Isn't it nice outside? Did you know Grass is weak to fire? Speaking of fire, here's TM35 - Flamethrower! Yay! You can use it an infinite number of times too!
>>
File: 1460519514383.png (177 KB, 367x321) Image search: [Google]
1460519514383.png
177 KB, 367x321
>>26487954
>BW2
>The one where you have to do that stupid movie minigame EVERY FUCKING TIME
>>
>>26487978
>I actually kind of cared about what the characters had to say
It kinda defeats the purpose though since it doesn't change the outcome at all.

>Hey, we need you to risk your life and be the hero that we need. Will you do it?
>No.
>Aw, come on now I know you can do it, we believe in you.
>No.
>Aw, come on now I know you can do it, we believe in you.
>Yes.
>Attaboy, we know it'll be dangerous but we believe in you.
>>
>>26489724
>Actual plot of the game
>Random pointless battle that does nothing besides but get in your way
Yeah same thing my guy
>>
>>26490522
>Do you want a pokemon?
>No
>I'm shocked! I'll ask again.
>Do you want a pokemon?
>No
>I'm shocked! I'll ask again.
... I would have keked if the game soft reset if you said no.
>>
Story in Pokemon games is pretty shit. It usually just gets in the way.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.