[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why was gamefreak so harsh towards Johto mon? Like an entire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: noctowl2.gif (12 KB, 472x328) Image search: [Google]
noctowl2.gif
12 KB, 472x328
why was gamefreak so harsh towards Johto mon? Like an entire generation of waste potential

pic related, for example, could have easily been psychic/flying or maybe even ghost/flying. but instead they give it the shitty typing. Not to mention most Johto mon have subpar stats or are in some cases plain awful (ledian, ariados)
>>
Ha my friend and I were just talking about this last night
>>
>>26458668
Johto is Kanto sloppy seconds
>>
types were never meant to be good
mons were never meant to have coverage
everything after gen II was an amazing mistake
>>
>>26458668
As a Bugfag Johto gave me lots of great bugs, even the shitmon kinds.

Hoenn, however, was a slap to the face.

>Surskit is Bug/Water... Huh that's pretty co- DUDE BUG/FLYING TYPE LMAO
>Nincada is Bug/Ground? Oh sweet I hope it bec- DUDE BUG/FLYING TYPE LMAO
>Shedinja is Bug/Gbost, that's a really unique typi- DUDE 1 HP LMAO
>Flygon wasn't Bug/Dragon because DUDE GROUND/DRAGON LMAO
>Oh you want to train either a Dustox or Beautifly for some unholy reason? DUDE RANDOMIZED EVOLUTION LMAO

FUCK HOENN!
>>
>>26458748
This.

But at the same time, Noctowl's Normal typing and Psychic coverage was for helping it counter Ghost.
>>
I always thought it was Psychic/Flying because it always used Confusion in the anime, same with Psyduck

Then I realized there's no real reason for it to be Psychic anyways
>>
>>26458668
>carefully scanning the comments for someone who refers to it as a bird
GOSH I SURE DO LOVE MEMES
>>
>>26458668
Not every mon is meant for high competitive play. You don't see Linoone running around reeking havok on the Steel-infested UU and OU mons.

That said, even though Johto was sort of crap in terms of giving newly-introduced smogonmons, it gave a few gems like Azumarill, Togepi line, Skarmory, Blissey, legendary beasts (notably, all three have OU analyses now), and Tyranitar.
>>
>>26458668
Pokemon are designed and represent the idea they are meant to represent. Arbitrarily making 'wise old owl that is just an owl' some random type because you want it to be a wacky weird type Pokemon is fucking retarded.
>onix should be dragon type too, hurr durr
>Ariados should be rock dark because I want t to not get killed by peck
You're a big silly billy and your parents should be ashamed
>>
>>26458668
Johto was reverse power creep. It was comfy like that.
>>
>>26458798
>Bug/Steel Forretress
>Bug/Steel Scizor
>Bug/Flying Ledian
>Bug/Flying Yanma
>Bug/Poison Ariados
>Bug/Fighting Heracross
>Bug/Rock Shuckle

compared to

>Bug Volbeat
>Bug Illumise
>Bug/Flying Beatifly
>Bug/Flying Ninjask
>Bug/Flying Masquerain
>Bug/Poison Dustox
>Bug/Ghost Shedinja
>Bug/Rock Armaldo

If you aren't bitchy about types, they're all pretty good. You can just catch a Cascoon/Silcoon, so there's nothing really random about it. And there are more bugs than in Johto.
>>
>>26458961
>reverse power creep
>added Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, 3 Dogs
>more than doubled the amount of legendaries
>also added Steel typing, the most overpowered of them all
>>
>>26458668
Ariados would be good if it were bug/dark And had focus energy. Sniper sucker punch must have some sort of niche.
>>
>>26458944
Psychic has enough justification that nobody would question it if it had that typing from the start.
OP suggesting Ghost is just retarded.
>>
>>26458881
Azumarill wasn't worth shit until Gen III, though.
>>
>>26459063
>cut special stat in half, making nearly every mon worse across the board
>legends introduced were comperable in power if not weaker
>only 1 more legend than genwun
>most new mons introduced were weak
>only mememons like Shuckle were minmaxed
>>
>>26458668
They made a psychic/flying mon, Xatu. Noctowl is just supposed to be night time Pidgeot. Get over it.
>>
File: 600px-238Smoochum.png (169 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
600px-238Smoochum.png
169 KB, 600x600
>>26458747
This. Johto is the bottom bitch with no good mons (pic related), shit region etc...
>>
>>26458668
Flyng dark like murkrow
>>
Consider Kanto the main game and Johto a really good DLC and it makes sense. As standalone it really doesn't work.
>>
>>26458668
Johto mons were good. Powercreeping the shit out of every gen after it is the problem.
>>
File: j94piJw.png (88 KB, 302x466) Image search: [Google]
j94piJw.png
88 KB, 302x466
>>26459398
>>
>>26458668
>ghost/flying

i think your parents were too harsh towards you
>>
>>26458668
Noctowl is one of my favorite bird mons, with Fearow.
As a kid I was crazy about Hoothoot (only appears at night, cool design, cool evolution design). But I was never able to use it, its stats are way too bad.
>>
I always see people bitching about power creep but what is the average BST of each gen? Not counting legends.
>>
They weren't harsh, they just weren't thinking too much about how most of them would be gameplay-wise.
A lot of them were rewards for exploration, like Wobuffet and Tyrogue.
They had a different purpose.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.