[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone like sociopathic rivals like Blue and Silver?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: asshole rival.png (34 KB, 1566x489) Image search: [Google]
asshole rival.png
34 KB, 1566x489
Why does everyone like sociopathic rivals like Blue and Silver?
>>
>>26455388
because they motivate you
>>
>>26455388
Something about making you hate them more or something.
Blue/Green was OK, since he actually was indeed ahead of you most of the game, but Silver... he was simply an edgelord who insisted you were weaker than him despite getting his ass handed to him at every turn.
>>
Because they're either nostalgiafags or don't actually know what they want.

Gen _ had the best rivals.

>>26455398
No they don't.
>>
>>26455388
they confuse douchebaggery with competence because of the the super friendly completely outclassed 'rivals' we've had recently
>>
>>26455388

Because them being dicks makes you actively want to beat their ass. Giving a more satisfying feeling when you beat them. Unless you actively get off on Serena's wining.

Nice dubs
>>
>>26455388
Because they don't show up every five seconds rehashing the same thing over and over again.

>Besties forever!
>I'm superior but I'm a total tool about why I'm better.
>Pokedex!
>DANCING!
>>
>>26455388
I don't. Barry is best rival.
>>
>>26455388
Silver was a sociopathic faggot and only tryhard middle schooler types want him back, but Blue wasn't really one. He was a dick and constantly made fun of you, but in a young children fighting sort of way.
>>
>>26455411
Whining*
>>
>>26455407
i was pretty motivated to kick that pokemon thief's edgy fucking face.
>>
>>26455398
Yeah maybe if you are like 6 and legitimately allow dialogue in a video game to ruffle your feathers enough to "motivate" you.
>>
>>26455419
Barry at least had a character arc and didn't give you everything. He was adorable and a good change of pace that he was fast about everything. It made him memorable and endearing, and he actually felt like a kid you'd befriend when you were younger.
>>
>>26455430
when red and blue came out i was like 6 and who does like those rivals that arent rivals? (X/Y) Personally i think N is the best rival
>>
Blue wasn't even that mean. He taunts you before battle and that's it. After that he speaks to you like a friend.
>>
I like Blue because he's hot
>>
>>26455388
They are sub faggots who love being bullied by a real alpha.
>>
blue is only kinda rude to you so you'll beat him into the ground
he loves it
>>
>>26456062
>Tfw you antagonize constantly to goad someone into creaming you
Makes me wanna cream myself, if you know what I'm sayin'.
>>
blue is cool and him being the champion was actually an insane twist at the time (as was giovanni being the 8th gym leader) but I know /vp/ is too young to remember that
>>
File: U7lPNvm.jpg (125 KB, 530x693) Image search: [Google]
U7lPNvm.jpg
125 KB, 530x693
>>26456075
oh yeah
>>
>>26455388
Because they're dumbass nostalgia drones still stuck in their childhood.

Barry was best rival.
>>
>>26455388
I like Blue because he was actually able to walk the walk. Silver is basically Wimp Lo. "I LOST FIRST, MAKING YOU THE WEAKLING!" Fuck Silver.

But fuck the Four Faggots from Fake France. They're epitomize the reason why people like sociopath rivals. Because those losers riding your dick and telling you how great you are all the time gets really goddamn old, really goddamn fast.
>>
Because it feels nice to beat them after they're done shit talking.

Barry is still best rival though.
>>
>>26456116
Yeah, the Four Faggot Musketeers are the worst. Other than them, May/Brendan are also hot garbage minus the hot

>hey there Player, wanna fight?
>Oh no, you beat me, here's a cool thing my dad said to give me
>cya!

ORAS redeemed them a bit by giving them a Mega starter and a few extra scenes in the epilogue, but they are still quite shitty

Barry is a friendly rival done right
>>
>>26456098
>That wash of embarrassment as they stomp out the team you bragged about and shit talked them over
Absolutely degenerate
>>
>>26456163
>make it all the way to the top, the most powerful trainer in the country
>after 5 minutes your neighbor waltzes in and destroys you
>don't even receive a congratulations
>get scolded for being a piece of shit
That faggot got so rekt
>>
>>26455419
>>26455440
>>26456105
What was Barry's character arc? Not even memeing, I really don't remember what his thing was.
>>
>>26456189
>Remembered as the worst, shortest reigning champion
>Red humiliates you every day, brags to your sister
I'm getting turned on.
>>
I agree with the people saying that it motivates you to want to beat them when they act like cocky assholes and provide a bit of bantz. I honestly don't give a shit about beating any of the other characters and I don't understand why people like Barry so much for that matter either. I find it hard to view the rivals past Gen II as anything more than just some random recurring NPCs in terms of the satisfaction I get from beating them. I mean, I guess the exp is nice?
>>
>>26456209
he likes to go fast, his dad is the tower tycoon and barry wants to prove he's his own badass.
>>
File: 999.jpg (73 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
999.jpg
73 KB, 500x500
>>26456215
>hardly anyone even acknowledges your achievements
>only remembered for being related to Professor Oak
Blue Oak on suicide watch
>>
The only rival who was any good was Wally.
>>
>>26456236
I like to think he treks up the mountain to rematch with red every once in a while, and gets absolutely btfo worse each time
Then Red fucks his mouth for good measure.
>>
>>26456246
>Rival
>Only one legitimate battle with him during the story
>You spend most of your time feeling sorry for him
>>
because every single person in the game speaks to you in a hand-holding sort of way. whenever you talk to an npc, they give you everything on a silver platter.
but not these two. they make you earn it. if you want interaction, you have to kick their ass first. literally nothing good can come from beating someone who's already nice to you.
you feel satisfied beating a dickhead like silver. you feel like you've toppled the bully when you defeat blue, yet he STILL finds a way to seem like he has the high ground after a fight.
"pfft you just got lucky" or some shit like that. that's way more interesting than that "i'm so glad we're on this journey together!" bullshit.
>>
File: CVeJnq5U4AAx4Sh.jpg (109 KB, 640x556) Image search: [Google]
CVeJnq5U4AAx4Sh.jpg
109 KB, 640x556
>>26456248
What a pathetic guy.
He sure seems to think about Red a lot in GS/HGSS, even calling up the player just to talk about him..
>>
>>26456297
He probably enjoys the humiliation. Why else would he constantly fight Red?
>>
>>26455388
Literally no one likes them, it's another ebin meme retard
>>
>>26455407
>No they don't.
Only if you're a submissive pussy
>>
>>26456312
>>26456248
I would like to draw something lewd now.
>>
>>26456357
Please do, anon. This is my fetish fuel.
>>
File: 7200021_p0_master1200.jpg (113 KB, 500x654) Image search: [Google]
7200021_p0_master1200.jpg
113 KB, 500x654
>>26456370
If this thread is dead by the time I'm done i'll post it in the /i/ lewd delivery thread.
>>
>>26456246
Wally is completely useless and I take sadistic pleasure in crushing his dreams. I don't know what it is that makes me hate him that much, but holy shit does it feel good to obliterate him
>>
>>26456391
Oh thank you, based lewd drawfag.
>>
I'd hardly call Blue sociopathic, I replayed Pokemon Red recently and he just comes off as a bit of a dick bit he's also kind of your friend, and it's satisfying to beat him. And him being the champion is still one of the better twists in Pokemon.

Like this anon said >>26456228 when there's no antagonistic relationship between you and the "rivals" you sorta wonder what the hell the point of them is
>>
>>26455411
>Serena's
>playing as the male
>>
>>26455403
At least Silver was improved in HGSS. As far as I remember, he stayed edgy all through G/S/C, but in the remakes he starts to question his motives after the first few encounters. Eventually he clearly has a change of heart and starts to consider his pokemon as friends rather than tools, and almost-nearly-kind-of thanks you for teaching him so.
Its all quite "shonen-baka-tsundere" but it works. He also finally evolves his Golbat when he learns to care for his pokemon in his final encounter.
>>
>>26456459
>he's also kind of your friend

I don't recall at any point Blue being mentioned as your friend in Gen I. He just came off as an ill mannered twat who thinks he is the best at everything despite evidence to the contrary, like Red beating him every time they battle. He is just a spoilt kid who happens to be the only other kid about your age in your home town. His attitude and over confidence is brought into check by Oak telling him how disappointed he is by him getting beaten by Red and how proud he is of Red when Red becomes the champion. Stuff that happens after that point, covered mainly in Gen II by Gold and Silver, is when he becomes less of a dick and a friend to Red rather than just a rival.
>>
>>26456713
He was your friend when you were kids until he became a piece of shit
>>
>>26455388
The weren't sociopaths, they were just assholes. Big difference, friendo
>>
>>26456391
>posting lewd in the secret invasion board
What?
>>
Becsuse it's hot.
>>
>>26457871
>secret invasion board
W-what?
>>
It's something about someone you WANT to bash their face in. The problem is that there was no real justification for that anyway other than hot air. No rival was ever a real threat. The only thing that any of them ever did that was truly "bad" was that Silver stole his starter. A starter Elm probably would've let him have if he asked. I can't exactly fault either of them too much.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.