[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished this...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 11
File: 1437792349865.jpg (185 KB, 476x487) Image search: [Google]
1437792349865.jpg
185 KB, 476x487
And am I wrong to say that it was really, really underwhelming to me? The whole time it just felt like I was pointlessly trodding around, and the battles were never really that exciting. The visuals were kind of nice here and there, but from all the praise, I was expecting something on par with BW or BW2.

Why is this so overrated?
>>
>>26455090
Walking pokemon
>>
>>26455100
Wow, a sprite following my sprite! Fucking groundbreaking.

I really did not care for that feature at all. I didn't hate it, didn't love it. Shit, I barely ever fucking noticed it.
>>
>>26455090
>pointlessly trodding around, and the battles were never really that exciting. The visuals were kind of nice here and there

Yeah, that was my experience with the Pokewalker also.
>>
>>26455090

It sounds like pokemon might not be your thing desu
>>
>>26455090
It felt more like an adventure than just "beat the bad guys who have Pokemon that you can catch on the first route." That's one of the reasons why it's my favorite (the other is my favorite Pokemon line is the Chikorita line).
>>
>>26455158
Don't get me wrong, I like every Pokemon game to a certain extent. Yes, I enjoyed HGSS, but it just felt underwhelming to me in a lot of cases. Pokemon is my favorite game franchise.

>>26455161
I agree, kind of. It just felt a bit too open ended. It was boring.
>>
>>26455090
It's not a bad game, it just relies mostly on nostalgia. As far as the remakes are concerned this is the better one.
>>
>>26455170
>open ended
Do you prefer being spoonfed nonsense from characters like N and AZ?
>>
File: 1456782050438.jpg (42 KB, 285x285) Image search: [Google]
1456782050438.jpg
42 KB, 285x285
>>26455186
I prefer when there's a good, consistent, and well crafted middle ground so I am motivated to explore and to partake in an active narrative.

Keep your memes to yourself.
>>
>>26455196
What memes are you talking about?
>>
>>26455202
>spoonfed nonsense
It's a children's game's plot, get over yourself.
>>
Because

>muh following Pokemon
>muh two regions
>muh touchscreen breaking minigames
>muh nostalgia even though if I want a trip down memory lane playing the original would probably be a better idea

FRLG is a better remake and Platinum is a better Gen IV game. I personally am not a fan of the more involved stories in BW1 and BW2 and one of the reasons I like the original GSC is it's pretty light on the story, but HGSS adds too much dumb fluff to it like Lyra/Ethan bothering you every few areas and the Kimono Girls "you are the chosen one destined to call back Ho-Oh/Lugia" shit.
>>
Just get BW2 OP, you'll notice the contrast
>>
>>26455090
>I was expecting something on par with BW or BW2.
So you were expecting shit and got shit? Then I don't really see the point of this thread.
>>
>>26455196
>needs a story to be motivated to play something
The current generation, everyone.
>>
>>26455223
So what? Pokémon has shown since gen 1 (Cinnabar Mansion) that it can tell story the right way, by adding lore that you can uncover on your own without a force-fed narrative.

>>26455225
>touchscreen breaking minigames
You are either a gorilla or a very brutish person if you inflict any kind of damage on the touchscreen by playing Pokéathlon.
>>
>>26455255
>since gen 1 (Cinnabar Mansion) that it can tell story the right way
Having random notes filled with exposition is the worst fucking way to tell a story.
>>
>>26455255
This. Gen 1 had some good lore, but you actually had to look for it. And for some people that's just unacceptable.
>>26455225
>using muh while trying to make points
>>
>>26455255
I haven't, I've got pretty small and tender hands, but I know multiple people who have. Really though it's bored hyperbole.
>>
>>26455292
>I know multiple people who have.
>knowing brutish mongoloids
>>
>>26455090
>Just finished this
no you didn't, you little lying slut

>>26455090
>Why is this so overrated?

>following pokemon
>two regions
>people creaming their pants over red
to say a few things, I like it as much as any ther pokemon game (except ORAS, fuck ORAS) but yeah its overrated

on another issue lugia is better I hate lyra hat
>>
>>26455236
OP says he enjoyed BW and BW2

>>26455241
Oh, wow. Truly a valuable post.

>>26455251
Did you not see my point at all, dipshit? >>26455196
Personal preference is a bitch.

>>26455285
>>26455255
>Implying reading notes in a book IN THE GAME complete to the brim with exposition is a good way to storytell
>>
>>26455331
I think Lyra has the best protagonist design but her hat should be red with a blue ribbon
>>
File: 1463166461764.png (259 KB, 974x716) Image search: [Google]
1463166461764.png
259 KB, 974x716
>>26455331
>I hate lyra hat
>>
>>26455170
If that felt underwhelming I can't imagine what you thought of XY.
>>26455158
This.
>>
>>26455348
Someone's mad.
>reading notes in a book IN THE GAME complete to the brim with exposition
What? I don't remember anybody telling me anything about Legendary Pokémon or Team Rocket's evil plans besides a few NPCs. Where's all the exposition I apparently missed past Viridian City?
>>
ITT Johtoshitters who can't take valid criticisms
>>
I mostly like the music in HGSS, I can happily play through it just enjoying that, not caring much about anything else.
>>
>>26455468
Name one real problem with Johto that isn't the level curve (which honestly provides a decent challenge) and the rarity of newly discovered species of Pokémon.
>>
File: 1463197680815.png (8 KB, 474x530) Image search: [Google]
1463197680815.png
8 KB, 474x530
>>26455468
>implying overly vague comments comparing it to a game that came AFTER is valid
C'mon now faggot. Of course the sequels will be better, but most criticisms are very fucking ambiguous too.
>>
>>26455090
>Why is this so overrated?

Because it's Johto and has fucktons of content. By gen 6, which is technologically and mechanically superior, of course it'd feel stale.

The secret to enjoying every pokemon game is to play them when they are relevant because every gen makes huge strides of quality that make the previous basically unplayable.
>>
>>26455530
>The secret to enjoying every pokemon game is to play them when they are relevant because every gen makes huge strides of quality that make the previous basically unplayable.
I can literally go back to every other Gen and have more fun with those games than with Gen VI. Even Gen I is more fun, and that's just fucking embarrassing on Game Freak's part.
>>
>>26455331
ORAS is great.
>>
>>26455090

Its overrated because GSC are overrated. GSC added a lot of factors and mechanics, but it never really did much with them, and it took for most of them, until Gen 4 to bring out its full potential.

But that's just me.
>>
>>26455556

>Great

ehhhhh.
>>
>>26455090
I didn't even finish it and I'm a johtoshit. If you've never played GSC or have a faint recollection of it, you might enjoy the remake. It's crazy when people pick the remake games over Platinum.

HGSS is a fine, refined homage, but if you really want to play GSC then buy a Gameboy Color.
>>
>>26455564
Gen 2's art direction, general vibe and music feels a lot better for me. But I agree that the remakes tapped a lot of it's potential.
>>
>>26455590
Platinum is a way more enjoyable experience than any of the remakes or Gen IV/V IMO. You're right though, when I played HGSS i only just barely remembered GSC and I still believe that's why I liked it in the first place
>>
>>26455241
this. gen 5 is worse than gen 6.
>>
>>26455548
Okay, liar.
>>
>>26455348
>Implying reading notes in a book IN THE GAME complete to the brim with exposition is a good way to storytell
Literally the only thing you need to know in Pokemon Red/Blue is

>Get all 8 gym badges to challenge Elite 4 nd be the best trainer
>Also sometimes Team Rocket fucks shit up, fuck them up

Unlike the later games, side info doesn't need long cutscenes with annoying characters. Also, not showing certain things or withholding information is just as important as giving it. The Cinnabar Mansion is one of the best dungeons in the game for that, with the diaries revealing just enough information, but being completely optional.

>>26455590
>>26455619
Honestly HGSS have some little touches that just bother me and keep it from being perfect. The character redesigns I'm not a fan of, and the general art style/feel of the region feels off. I think it's the color pallet, the colors in HGSS are too soft and blue, especially the grass color.

The change in art direction, removal of certain features, and the larger focus on "lel your the chosen one let's have more story" keep it from all but replacing the originals for me. Shame no ones made a rom hack of HGSS that cuts the story bits so it's closer to the originals.

Also why the fuck didn't they fix the level curve in HGSS? Or keep the Crystal enhancements to Pokemon routes (Where morning/day/night was utilized more then in GS, and late game Pokemon were added to the early game)? Or cut custom bedrooms?
>>
>>26455659
Not even him but yeah, I played the Gen VI games once and have no desire to return to them. I barely even remember them. I can still play Gen 1, and 2 just fine, and I've been wanting to replay Gen 3 and 4 recently. Gen VI has a plain disappointment in every way though.
>>
>>26455674
I don't mind most of the character redesigns, Ethan is the only one to bother me, but I agree with the rest of your complaints.
>>
>>26455644
Nice bait
>>
>>26455684
>in every way

Stop being a hyperbolic liar.
>>
File: Game_Freak_Kris.jpg (62 KB, 639x600) Image search: [Google]
Game_Freak_Kris.jpg
62 KB, 639x600
>>26455674
Wholeheartedly agree on the character designs and palette. You don't really get the night time or adventurous vibes like back then or intimidating sprites like gengar's. They also botched some tracks. When I thought the gameboy player would save me it also botched some classic tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XjouKSkSeM
>>
>>26455659
>he doesn't think about this the same way as me
>he's a BIG FAT LIAR
>>
>>26455706
>actually believing gen 1 is more fun

I'm sorry I'm not insane enough like you are to believe such a thing.
>>
>>26455704
Name one thing Gen VI did better than Gen V that isn't the superfluous "leap to 3D" that was done with the Stadium games, Colosseum, Gale of Darkness, and Battle Revolution.
>>
>>26455090
Actually you missed a lot by not playing it in it's prime.

half the fun was shouting at events and conventions into the air, pokewalker raised, hoping to swap data. The gimmick went a long way.
>>
>>26455725
>breeding is actually viable
>shitty story isn't forced on you as much
>if you're a shit-ass casual who can't into Pokemon you don't hit a brick wall thanks to EXP scaling making overlevelling a pain in the ass
>>
>>26455724
Gen 1 is much more replayable then Gen 6. It's much easier to do fun runs of it, and faster too.
>>
>>26455741
>Gen VI
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Please tell me you're joking
>>
>>26455724
>getting Pokémon with good DVs reliably
>being able to damn near max out every stat on any given Pokémon through the stat exp system
>building teams with cloned TMs
>entertaining bugs, glitches and oversights
>some Pokémon like Hypno actually being usable
>using them in Stadium after making preparations
Pretty fun to me. It's simple and doesn't waste your time with friends or a save the world plot.
>>
>>26455759
Both have shitty stories, but XY stops you to spew it at you a little bit less than BW1.
>>
>>26455741
Nigga what?
>if you're a shit-ass casual who can't into Pokemon you don't hit a brick wall thanks to EXP scaling making overlevelling a pain in the ass
If you're a shit-ass casual who can't into Pokémon you probably shouldn't be playing anything outside of mobile app garbage.
>>
>>26455767
>actually doing those things

It was fun because I was _6.
>>
>>26455759
you're right. gen 6 doesn't even have a story.
>>
>>26455772
Say what you will about BW1's story (I personally didn't care for it), it at the very least had a fucking narrative. X and Y just have something about a machine that gave life turned into an Ultimate Weapon somehow built by a big guy who proceeded to kill a bunch of people and Pokémon and yet somehow he's supposed to be a sympathetic character because his Pokémon left him. Oh and Xerneas/Yveltal is there too, we almost forgot to write in the box legend.
>>
>>26455725
>Event legendaries guaranteed 3 ivs
>Killing weather meta, killing hazard meta
>Friend safari, navdex and hordes all goodies that come with it like FINALLY ez access to most pokemon's dreamworld abilities.
>Being able to catch every pokemon in one gen
>Character customization
>Roller skates being basically strict upgrade to running shoes, yet still having running shoes and bike
>Destiny Knot
>type re-balancing; dragons finally can't just spam draco meteor at everything and win anyway
>Stat buffs to shit mons, a series first
>Mega Evolutions; mkaing some shit mons actually viable like Pinsir and Beedrill opening up potential for all other shitmons everyone likes
>Grinding easier than ever, eggs to ev training to just simply leveling
>XY made routes a breeze so you aren't forced to use anything beyond a surfer unless you want goodies, and in the case of Victory Road strength, flash, waterfall and surf.

Gen 6 was a blessing compared to 5 like gen 5 was to 4 and so on. You'd have to suffer dementia to seriously think something as retarded "Gen 5 is better than 6 in everywhere". Like how shit man, are you seriously this ignorant? You don't have to like gen 6 but what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>26455772
Gen 2 had the best "story" in proportion to gameplay. the main plot wraps up before the player character game ends.
>>
>>26455820
Gen 4 post mence ban was the best metagame in the history of pokemon.
>>
>>26455820
You can just cheat pokemon in

Like real dude x/y sucked in every single regard, theres no arguement to be had here
>>
>>26455105
Anon do you not think walking pokemon are great? What's wrong with you? That's the best part of the game and any sane person would want this feature in all the games.
>>
>>26455820
>Killing weather meta
Actual fix.
>killing hazard meta
You what? How?
>Rollerskates
No.
>type re-balancing
>implying game freak can into balance
>steel nerfed defensively just so ONE FUCKING POKEMON wouldn't be unstoppable
>even then it's a bitch to fight
>Stat buffs to shit mons
Wow 10 points in one stat. Amazing.
>Mega Evolutions
Broke the meta harder than weather wars did. Also mostly there to sell more merch and mostly pander to fan favorites.
>mkaing some shit mons actually viable
They could have just given them more moderate buffs by adjusting their BST but they had to make most of them stupidly powerful with really good abilities. Also you can only have one at a time which means only one shitmon gets to be good at a time.
Gen IV had the best meta anyway. Gen VI does have the easiest Pokémon generation with injecting however, so I'll give it that.
>>
>>26455090
It's great because it's so polished with QoL features, the pokegear, the neat pokewalker peripheral, a solid postgame, fun mini games, and has the intended massiveness of Johto+Kanto without Kanto being a dead boring region

>expected something on par with BW

BW was actually trash.
>huge encounter rates everywhere, unplayable without repels
>first line of routes (everything before the "loop") takes forever because forced story shit and encounter rates
>in these first routes there is NO variety in pocketmans
>many designs in this gen are pretty questionable, and the learnset of most Pokemon for the majority of the game is basically a ton of STAB and like a weak normal move, and then you get to try and throw Dig/Rock Tomb on as much as you can and that's it
>the rivals are awful characters I gave no shits about
>story is more 'u r chosen one save world' crap used in every game since Hoenn
>progression of the region is ENTIRELY linear with cutscenes and nonengaging dialogue/plot forced on you at every turn

I haven't played BW2 yet actually but I hear it's a lot better at least. But seriously how could you even say HGSS is worse than the shitpile that is BW?
>>
>>26455772
The very first dungeon they literally handhold you through it. The four faggots who I can't even remember the names of follow you everywhere and interrupt you throughout the game. Countless pointless characters are thrown into the story for no reason, and gift pokemon are shoved into your face every 5 seconds.

Black and White's story was no where near as embarrassing (or nostalgia pandering) as X and Ys. I'd prefer no story at all in my Pokemon but holy fuck XY's story completely ruined the game's campaign for me.
>>
>>26455841
>lol you can just cheat so none of what you said matters, even the stuff that has nothing to do with pokemon collection or training matters

okay
>>
Are you retard seriously arguing that bw1 story was badly paced? Thays just outright wrong, thats not even a subjective thing. M8ght as well say g/s had a well paced story while your at it
>>
>>26455879
Yeah, why would you need to train them when you coukd just cheat them in? And even then basic old ev training is still better

Seriously, x/y blow m8
>>
>>26455879
Not him, but, only 3 things matter? Pretty weak if you ask me.
>>
>>26455853
>i agree with you but i'm going to argue this was not good???
>Defog
>yes they are and they're not even required
>implying dragon didn't need to be nerfed. I mean yes game freak suck shit at balancing but dragons are overfucking due
>its still something. Shit like Golem need every Quality of life they can get. Same thing with megas. They just prioritized giving it to all to a bunch of good pokemon.
>>
>>26455090
I see you triggered the Johtoddler IDF, OP
>>
>>26455894
>name one thing better then gen 5
>most of that doesn't count because i cheat
>what does count isn't good enough

okay so what's the new goal post chief?
>>
>>26455906
Saying defog killed hazards is like saying Fairies killed Garchomp
>>
>>26455906
>Defog
Yep, this completely killed entry hazards. Totally.
>yes they are and they're not even required
Rollerskates are shit, mane. They are also required to get certain items. Also permanently bound to the circle pad instead of being selected like the bicycle.
>implying dragon didn't need to be nerfed. I mean yes game freak suck shit at balancing but dragons are overfucking due
So you got rekt by Draco Meteor spam. Dragons were fine offensively, they just needed a defensive nerf.
>its still something. Shit like Golem need every Quality of life they can get.
How about some Special Defense instead?
>Same thing with megas. They just prioritized giving it to all to a bunch of good pokemon.
Which is why Megas are shit, even though I like a few of them.
>>
>>26455929

Sure as fuck hurt it's viability.
>>
>>26455922
Hey not my fault if someone wastes their time breeding a team only to lose to injected shinies. I'm not moving any goalposts.
>>
>>26455949
>dragons were fine offensively
>1 resist and hits everything else neutrally
>literally every other type has some combination that produces a double resistance except dragon

No, it needed to be nerfed.
>>
>>26455961
You already did when you said 3 reasons weren't good enough, when you asked for one though.

>it wasn't me

Great, the context was to provide one reason why an aspect of gen 6 is better. I did. Even the ones you "invalidate" by being a cheater doesn't wholesale trump my point.
>>
>>26455956
It's the second most used pokemon in Showdown
>>
>>26455971
How about actually making changes to the existing type chart besides nerfing Steel because of Aegislash? The immunity Fairy gets doesn't even make any sense. Flying is immune to Ground because they can fly, Steel immune to Poison because the poison can't get through their metal (except Twinneedle which is literally never used), Dark just not giving two fucks about opposing Psychic powers. Meanwhile Fairy types get to take zero damage from a rain of fucking meteors or death lasers like Dragon Pulse because oh fairy tales blah blah blah just accept it, lol.
>>
>>26455991
hazards, anon. Defog weakened hazards.

Garchomp is always going to viable as long as ice isn't, since it's main flaw is total shit and everything that runs ice beam can't get stab, and what does get stab is physical and can only pick off a weakened one. But even then fairies mean its type now has two immunies and the second we get a solid flying fairy Garchomp's viable is gonna start tanking to always running coverage to hit it.
>>
>>26455971
at most it should be resisted. like other people are saying it's fucking retarded to arbitrarily have a dragon ramming its claw into you do nothing. there's no internal logic and that makes fairy feel dumb and ad hoc
>>
>>26455984
Those few aspects don't make it better as a whole. Previous gens actually feel satisfying after a playthrough. Gen VI does not.
>>
>>26456033
I believe it does, and this is where we will never agree upon because I don't have the perspective of a cheater to make everything easier for me in earlier gens to mask all its problems.
>>
>>26456044
>because I don't have the perspective of a cheater to make everything easier for me in earlier gens to mask all its problems
What?
>>
>>26455090
every pokemon game is like you described. shit, most games are like that. play drill dozer or something good
>>
>>26456057
A majority of points I brought up >>26455820
were "invalidated" by people arguing that you can just cheat to get all of these things, so logically, they probably cheat in all the other games as well, which likely makes playing all the games much easier. Who cares about a destiny Knot passing 5 ivs when you can just cheat? etc, etc.
>>
>>26456029
>>26456002
Typing doesn't always make sense. Poison beats Fairy but loses to Psychic? Bug resisting ground but weak rock? Ice only resisting ice? Flying beats fighting AND grass, but is resisted only by rocks and steel.

There really isn't any internal logic behind a lot of the resists and strengths, and it's kind of stupid to give the type that has the best Pokemon with the best moves, best BST and overall versatility no nerfs because "it doesn't make sense logically" something should be immune to a dragon.
>>
>>26456074
I don't care about how easy it is to breed a competitive team, in fact it was never difficult, just more tedious. If the rest of the game isn't rich in content, and I mean gameplay, exploration, and postgame outside of a single battle facility, not the amount of Pokémon like XY and ORAS, it just sucks.
>>
>>26456099
And I do care, so again this is where the argument ends because we're not playing for the same reasons, though I definitely don't know what you're talking about in relation to ORAS since it had plenty of exploration, post game and gameplay.
>>
>>26456096
>Poison beats Fairy but loses to Psychic?
Maybe Psychic powers cause Poison types to hurt themselves? Makes a little sense.
>Bug resisting ground but weak rock?
Ground=/=Rock
Lots of bugs live in the ground.
>Ice only resisting ice?
This is just bad fucking design. Ice has needed a defensive buff since long before Dragon needed any nerfs.
>Flying beats fighting AND grass
Can't punch what's in the air too good, and wind really fucks up plants and goes along with most flying types.
Fairy just makes no sense being immune and not just resisting Dragon instead.
>>
>>26456118
>plenty of exploration
Because Ruby and Sapphire had that. The "exploration" added in ORAS with shit like the Legendary hunt is mostly just going from place to place for one thing only. The Delta Episode is also insulting as a post game story, as it is also just going from place to place with a few notable battles at the very end.
>>
>>26456129
Fairy tales tell stories about defeating dragons, and most mythological fairies are far more powerful than dragon counterparts. They're spirits and sprites to Dragon's flesh and bone. I'm pretty sure dragons are immune to magic, but for the sake of pokemon you could probably only fight a mythological creature with another mythological creature.

I mean I'm reaching a bit here but so did you with psychics. There is definite some logic behind it.
>>
>>26456159
There's zero logic in the immunity however. And aren't dragons usually defeated by the steel of knights? Steel being super effective against Dragon would be a fucking awesome thematic change to the type chart.
>>
>>26455140

Lol
>>
>>26456178
Fairies are spirits, and would be immune to beasts such as dragons. Basically it's normal and ghost again, but dragon aren't immune to fairies because they're not obvious like normal would be to ghost.
>>
>>26455496
>rematch system is shit
>too many green apricorns
>heart scales rare as fuck
>berry pots fucking suck
>constantly walking pokemon is annoying
>tutor moves require massive amounts of battle points
>encounter rate ridiculously high when cycling
>grinding for cash and exp is fucking tedious
>>
>>26455548
I just replayed Diamond and Black these past three months and had an amazing time, more so than I did with AS. You're wrong.
>>
>>26456289
Also I forgot to mention the shitty music remixes ruining most of my favourite songs.
>>
>>26455241
>>26455644
Go to sleep summerfags, it's well beyond your bedtime.
>>
>>26455871
>BW
>Shit
You need to go back >>>/trash/
>>
File: Im done.png (405 KB, 760x501) Image search: [Google]
Im done.png
405 KB, 760x501
>This entire thread

You got people defending something shitty and people attacking it for all of the wrong reasons. Just another reason why this board is so cancerous.
>>
>>26455090
I agree honestly. I enjoyed Platinum, BW, and XY a lot more than SS. The SS playthrough was extremely boring in my opinion, even if the postgame is great.
>>
>>26456425

Then why are you here? You are basically whining like a Hardcore Vegan with a job in a meat packing company.
>>
>>26455090
I started the series with Gold and quit after Sapphire when I was a kid. Then XY got announced and decided I should binge all the games I missed out on.

I went W2->W->Platinum->FireRed->SS. On FireRed I quit after the 8th badge. On SS I quit after the 3rd badge.

Then XY came out and I enjoyed it for reasons different from the other pokemon games I played. I found ORAS to be boring though and quit halfway, only finishing it for the Delta Episode half a year like (which was also disappointing).

I think it's just the remakes in general that suck. They're less ambiguous and are just really safe cash-ins. Personally think each gen improved from the last except Gen 6, which took a few steps back but a lot forward as well.
>>
/vp/ opinions are really different
Some love BW, some hate it.
Some love the remake games, some hate them.
You're not wrong for not liking a game, since your opinion can't really be wrong. That said, no opinion is "right" either. I loved both HGSS and ORAS honestly, but wasn't a fan of FRLG for some reason, mostly because I had a blast finally getting the chance to play Gen 1 in all its buggy mess and loving it.
>>
>>26455196
The problem is that when GF had felt pressured by fans to do this, what we have gotten from it is increasing levels of cringe and trying to hard. Then you also get really shitty pokemon designs and game mechanics made for cringe worthy storylines. The writers have the worst taste in the development team and handing them more influence is a mistake.

It would be like if /VP/ were put in charge of making pokemon games, the ashimefags would be the writers and before we know it, ashninja is a pokemon and speaking pokemon and other bullshit seaps in.
>>
>>26455223
There are plenty games that appeal to children that have far better writing
>>
File: 1438252762409.png (215 KB, 437x446) Image search: [Google]
1438252762409.png
215 KB, 437x446
>>26456491

>W2->W->Platinum->FireRed->SS

What drugs did you snort that made you decide on this random fucking order?
>>
>>26456565
I'm sure you would know. Hey, isn't school in a few hours?
>>
what kind of level curve you want senpai
>>
>>26456583
Na finals were last week.
>>
>>26456600
Didn't know they had finals in third grade.
>>
File: 145773856353.png (22 KB, 275x200) Image search: [Google]
145773856353.png
22 KB, 275x200
>>26456579
BW2 was the latest out at the time so it was a test to see if it could get me back into the series and it did. BW2 got me interested in BW's story so I played BW exclusively for that. Platinum because I was interested in Cynthia and was excited to explore the distortion world. FireRed because I never experienced Kanto. SS was all that was left.

Keep in mind those were the reasons I started the game, not the entire reasons why I enjoyed them.
>>
>>26456605
Yeah. That's what happens when you go to school in Detroit.

Anyways, plenty of children oriented games have better writing and characterization. As another anon pointed out, Gen 1 & 2 proppelled the franchise into great success with children and did so with subtle contextual story. It should also be noted that some of children's favorite games these days have little to no story; COD, minecraft, angry birds, and so on
>>
>>26456026
hell on earth

>can't use EQ
>>
>>26456129
psychic "magic" powers can cure harmful toxic "poison"
>>
File: 1456190341333.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1456190341333.png
296 KB, 649x649
BW1 beats elite 4, then faces N instead of champion
>what a plot twist
>something different
>the champion has bug type - you dont even care by then

>Elite 4 can be taken down buy lucario by himself.
>>
>>26455589
Not him, but I thought it was a solid entry that got overhyped to shit. People thought things like the Battle Frontier and the gym leader rematches would be in there but forgot that GameFreak sometimes like to cut corners when it comes to remakes.
TL;DR It's a good game that had potential, but because of the hype train GameFreak felt like they didn't need to put in features people really wanted in order to make a profit.
>>
>>26456980
What are you even trying to say? And you fight N and Ghetsis
>>
>>26455090
ITT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuGP5FSSq5I
>>
>>26455225
The Kimono girls don't say you're the chosen one, they think you're a person worthy of meeting the legendary because your strength of character throughout the game.

>>26455530
Literally wrong. Gen 4 and 5 are far more fun than 6.

>>26455590
HGSS are the only remakes that are better than the previous visit to the region in every way.

>>26455741
>breeding
Join Avenue>Pokemon sports whatever its called. But using the EV items is better, yeah.

>shitty story isn't
Gen 6 has the worst stories
>>
>>26456289
>berry pots suck
>having your berries next to you at all times suck

>heart scales rare
>you get 3 a week at the Pokeathelon
>also get them from Luvdisc

I like the remixes. And the originals are also there.

I will give you BP. That shit was ridiculous until Gen V.
>>
>>26455796
>being 6 when gen 1 came out

this is an 18+ board kid
>>
>>26455140
You were doing it wrong, what you were supposed to do was get on a big open field or oval and just throw it around
>>
>>26455105
But it's the best feature in the game.
>>
>>26457821
If a cosmetic feature really is the best feature of a remake, then that means all the people saying that this is the best remake without a doubt haven't taken off their nostalgia glasses.
>>
>>26455820
>Killing weather meta
I miss weather, it was better than faeries and megas.
>killing hazard meta
I wish.
>Roller skates being basically strict upgrade to running shoes, yet still having running shoes and bike
Roller skates are the worst shit ever. Slower than a bike and harder to control, fuck however designed that shit.
>type re-balancing; dragons finally can't just spam draco meteor at everything and win anyway
Yeah, fuck dragon instead of helping grass, bug and ice, it's not like I want my shitmons to be viable anyways.
You must really suck if you were having trouble with draco-meteor.
>>type re-balancing; dragons finally can't just spam draco meteor at everything and win anyway
Oh yes, 10+ Atk to nidoking was really useful.
>Mega Evolutions; mkaing some shit mons actually viable like Pinsir and Beedrill opening up potential for all other shitmons everyone likes
Megas are the biggest cancer in the entire series, not because of the concept but because of how it was implemented. Absol didn't need a mega when it could have evolved normally and sure as fuck Lucario didn't need a fucking buff. The fact that you bring this up as a positive makes me wonder if you actually have played this game "competitively."
>XY made routes a breeze so you aren't forced to use anything beyond a surfer unless you want goodies
And instead it gave us the blandest side areas ever, they had an abandoned hotel and they just made it one floor deep and filled with nothing but trash cans. What a waste.
And gen 5 didn't need HMs either, it was one of the selling points.

>Gen 6 was a blessing compared to 5 like gen 5 was to 4 and so on.
This just confirms my theory that only nostalgiafags and casuals think gen 6 wasn't a disappointment.
>>
>>26456301
That's what I was saying? How am i wrong? Can you read?
>>
>>26457751
That makes him 26 you fucking moron.
>>
>>26456980
>what a plot twist
More than one we ever had before
>something different
Yeah, it is.
>the champion has bug type - you dont even care by then
Alder is a fucking burnout who can't battle worth shit.
>Elite 4 can be taken down buy lucario by himself.
Where'd you get one?
>>
>>26455161
>It felt more like an adventure
I had the exact opposite feeling. It felt like I was just walking to the store and back.
It was just so dull and not very adventurous.
>>
>>26459845
Fuck man, I feel the opposite way with the Gen V/VI games. The stronger focus on story and railroading makes it feel artifical. I liked the openess and less-story in Gen I/II since it did feel more like an adventure I was going on with my own Pokemon, as opposed to walking through a story everyone goes through.

I mean just compare the teams people have by the end of XY to what they'd have at the end of Gold/Silver, X/Y Teams are just

>Kalos Starter
>Kanto Starter
>Lucario
>Lapras
>Any pokemon (Though likely to be Snorlax or a Kalos fossil)
>See above
>>
>>26457051
>they think you're a person worthy of meeting the legendary because your strength of character throughout the game.
So a chosen one plot then.

>Gen 4 and 5 are far more fun than 6.
Eh, 5 is. 4 is a long shot with all of the issues it has.

>HGSS are the only remakes that are better than the previous visit to the region in every way.
Maybe if you like gimmicks if you don't then you might as well just play Crystal because they're more or less the same. HGSS is the only remake that was a rehash of the original game with no defining changes.
>>
>>26459900
You do realise that most people don't use the handouts right?
>>
>>26459900
>what they'd have at the end of Gold/Silver
>Starter
>Ampharos
>Eeveelution, almost certainly Espeon or Umbreon
>Shiny Gyarados
>2 HM slaves, upon giving up and realizing there was nothing else worth training
>>
>>26460023
>He fell for the Ampharos meme
>>
>>26459945
Is this the "in HGSS they're gimmicks but in other remakes they're features" anon? Because outside the lack of day/night aesthetics present in Crystal, its literally better in every way. And it added a frontier, Pokeathelon, new locations, and replaced random trainers with actual Team Rocket Executives to give the evil team more character. Added a Safari Zone, and brought back all the places in Kanto Crystal took out.

Even if you find HGSS overrated, you don't have to go too far in the other direction and not give it the props it deserves.

And no, its not a chosen one plot. You do good deeds and the Kimono Girls see you and decide you're a nice guy. In ORAS Rayquaza chooses you for no reason and you end up being the one worthy of seeing Groudon for no reason.
>>
>>26460023
The only ones I had on my team at the end of any Johto run is Ampharos and a starter. I literally never use Eveelutions
>>
>>26459961
QUICK POST YOUR HALL OF FAMES
>>
>>26460051
>Because outside the lack of day/night aesthetics present in Crystal, its literally better in every way. And it added a frontier, Pokeathelon, new locations, and replaced random trainers with actual Team Rocket Executives to give the evil team more character. Added a Safari Zone, and brought back all the places in Kanto Crystal took out.
But it took out a lot of things Crystal added. The Suicune plot is watered down, it axes the Crystal changes to wild Pokemon locations which were much better then Vanilla Gen 2.

>And no, its not a chosen one plot. You do good deeds and the Kimono Girls see you and decide you're a nice guy.
And then you're forced to go fight whatever legendary they want you to for reasons. It's obligatory and you can't skip it. Fuck that shit. There was no point in any of the Gen 2 games where you were required to fight the legendaries.
>>
>>26460103
>Marowak
>Blaziken-M
>Ferrothorn
>Florges
>Starter (Chesnaught)
>Lapras
>>
>>26460123
I don't remember how the Suicune plot changes because I haven't played Crystal in years. Odd how they kept the GS locations though. Since they took most everything else. Still doesn't seem like a lot though.

I think that was them trying to meld modern Pokemon story with classic Pokemon story. It never bothered me but I can see how it may bother someone else.
>>
>>26455820
The thing for me at least is that most of Gen 6's changes felt really meta to me. Sure, I appreciate Gen 6's contribution to the overall multiplayer experience, but I think it felt short when it came to contributing to the core experience (the main game, the content etc.)

Gen 5 didn't introduce a whole lot of groundbreaking mechanics yes. But Gen 5 choose to refine what was already there because it was the second Gen on the DS.

Gen 5 added so much detail and improved a lot of the core experience, being changes as big as a better story and the first non Japanese region or something small like adding additional music whenever you run on a route or adding the "Last Pokemon theme" whenever a Gym Leader had 1 Pokemon left.

These changes to the core experience made Gen 5 really feel like something fresh and new despite not adding many mechanics. And this is why Gen 6 while I liked it felt like it really dropped the ball in cases. Sure, Gen 6 added and refined a lot of things, but it didn't add much to the core experience. Heck, it even stripped away some of the detail Gen 5 has (like music changes and arguably the quality of storytelling).
>>
>>26460315
And even took away exp scaling which was an immense help to maintaining the level curve. What the hell were they thinking?
>>
>>26459900
>Gen V/VI
That should just say Gen VI mate, Gen V didn't have that issue very much. Great distribution of all new Pokemon.
>>
>>26460315
The "Last Pokemon Theme" was something I absolutely fell in love with. It's a fucking shame the annoying ass "Red Zone" theme kept interrupting it. Actually it would be fucking amazing if Beatmania Red Zone started playing everytime I came within an inch of dying.
>>
File: joke.jpg (12 KB, 385x335) Image search: [Google]
joke.jpg
12 KB, 385x335
>>26459797
The only moron here is you.
>>
>>26462530
>I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED
>TROLLED YOU!
>>
>>26460630
>complaining about the fixed exp mechanics.

Oh fuck off. I'm glad Gen 6 nixed it.

Because now I can actually build a team of Pokemon I enjoy, not have to be forced to use a specific team of mons in order to beat the Elite 4.

Yes, Gen 5 was impressive and challenging, but I don't want it to be a chore.

And I'm replaying SS and wondering how the hell is my team already at the Pokemon League yet 20 levels behind the E4? So I'm now forced to spend many tedious hours grinding and grinding and grinding and MORE grinding...
>>
>>26457087
You get to raise four berries at one time and that's it. Also, Luvdisc is a swarming Pokemon in HGSS.

And I forgot to say that the mother just doesn't stop blowing your cash on the damage-reducing berries. It was ok in the originals where she'd only buy things once you hit milestones and that would be it forever, but she never stops doing it in HGSS.
Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.