[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 24
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
What went wrong?
>>
>>26442397
there's too many of them and they suck battle-wise
>>
>>26442397

Nothing. Pokémon was always easy.
>>
>>26442397
Shauna looks cute, the best rival.
Serena is ok.
Tierno looks like a badass tbqh.
Then there is that skinny bitch.
>>
>>26442397
you never fuck Shauna
>>
too many of them and they're all boring as hell
>>
File: picard-facepalm.gif (659 KB, 300x282) Image search: [Google]
picard-facepalm.gif
659 KB, 300x282
>>26442397
>Cringe dialogue
>Weak battles
>Not having the right persona or reason for me to fight them except for "You're my bestie, fight me!"

4 rivals was a fucking mistake
>>
>>26442430
"rival"
>>
Tierno didn't have an Own Tempo Smeargle that only knew Lunar Dance.
>>
>>26442430
>Tierno looks like a badass tbqh.
>Then there is that skinny bitch.

Hi America.
>>
There's no minigame where Trevor sucks your cock.
>>
>>26442438
They are not rivals
>>
They were fine in the anime. So I guess the games fucked it up by having them be uninteresting, no development, shitty dialogue, even worse fights. Probably just rushed as fuck.
>>
>>26442397
You can't fuck Shauna and Serena.
>>
>Shauna is stagnant and never develops despite plenty of room for it
>Serena/Calem are okay enough in terms of depth but their actual personality is pretty pathetic
>Trevor has interesting roots for a backstory that are never touched upon in the main story or elaborated
>Tierno just dances

Also I theorize early drafts for XY's story had a huge superhero themeing, with you and the four stooges become a superhero team at the climax, hence the color coding of Serena Red, Calem Blue, Trevor Green, Tierno Yellow, and Shauna Pink; but was ditched due to the decision to include character customization and it ruining the color coding should you choose anything but blue or red. There are traces of this remaining like Dexio and Sina's vigilantie identities, Emma's super suit, and Lysandre's evil supervillian Doc Oc get-up at the end. There's also Blaziken Mask in the XY anime.
>>
File: 1440261373854.jpg (44 KB, 640x648) Image search: [Google]
1440261373854.jpg
44 KB, 640x648
>>26442397
>rival must be friends now
>>
>>26442519
And soon it will be your gf/bf.
>>
File: STOP.jpg (29 KB, 336x340) Image search: [Google]
STOP.jpg
29 KB, 336x340
>First fight against any of your "rivals" is with Shauna using the disadvantaged starter against you
>All starters know a STAB move right out the gate
>Calem/Serena, the "real" "rival," never fights you using the 1st stage advantaged starter, so it never gets entered in your Dex
>Your first fight with Calem/Serena is a multi-battle where they're on YOUR side, and you're fighting the two characters that canonically don't give a fuck about battling
>Calem/Serena proceeds to interrupt double battles against Team Flare, turning them into Multis that are heavily skewed in your favor. Doubles are already tilted in your favor to begin with when the opponents just have one Pokemon each
>Coconut Head keeps "challenging" you to a Dex-Battle you literally cannot lose, and does absolutely nothing post-game except mention a short list of Megas
>When Shauna's following you in the starter forest, she mentions wanting a Pikachu but she cannot find one. If you catch one, you can't trade it to her and she doesn't react to it at all
>Shauna is some clingy loli
>Tierno's team set-up
>"scare quotes"
I honestly cannot think of a single thing I like about anyone other than Tierno. He seems like a nice dude, and gave you a pretty rock thinking it was a Mega Stone.
That's the only thing that any of the four of them did right, is Tierno gave you a pretty rock.
>>
>>26442466
Doesn't matter fahm
They're still shit in these games

Except Shauna. I love her
>>
>>26442397
>all of them have three Pokemon except for Selena, and she only has more than three Pokemon at the end of the game
>none of them have any real development except for maybe Shauna and it's not even that much anyway
>you always beat Trevor in the pokedex comparison bullshit regardless of what you do
>What the fuck is even the point of Tierno?
>Selena is a little bitch when she loses and also ditches you and your friends
Yeah, some friend. There should've been more interesting shit you did with them. They should've been more difficult to defeat. Selena should've actually hung out with you guys instead of going "haha, see ya" every single time.

Also, and this is pure wish fulfillment, there should've been a sidequest like with Yancy in B2W2 where you could pair-up with Shauna/Selena/Calem/what-the-fuck-ever.
>>
>>26442569
You can lose the first dex battle, don't know the second, but the third you can't lose.
>>
>>26442397
Shauna felt forced to some.
Serena just sucks.
Tierno is literally in the wrong Gen.
Trevor's alright.

In conclusion: Serena should've joined Flair, and Tierno should just fuck off.
>>
>>26442569
Holy fuck, this.
You've some how made me hate them MORE now

Summed it up great. Well said anon
>>
>>26442569
You don't like clingy lolis?
>>
fucking genwunners and gentwoers
>>
>>26442580

>Selena
>not Serena

Can you not read?
>>
X/Y is a fucking trainwreck in every way imaginable except Pokemon designs, which are all 10/10.

And yet the Pokemon designs of X/Y are the most heavily criticized and the only major thing anyone who hates X/Y brings up.
>>
>>26442613
Sorry, I have my mind on Fire Emblem and was being retarded.
>>
Gen 6 is a joke. It's not in the slightest bit challenging. Pokemon never was, but at least you had to put effort in from gen 1 - 3. Gen 4 and 5 are also pretty damn simple.

Even pokemon yellow was harder than this bullshit.
>>
>>26442397
4 shallow characters =\= 1 deep character
>>
>>26442397
Shauna was cute as fuck and I would have loved to see some character growth from her over the course of the game. Maybe a friendly rivalry with Serena. Would have been cool if she emerged as the "true" rival.

Serena was pretty bad and an uninteresting character altogether. She somehow becomes really unattractive without the hat and really plain looking. Would have been a cool twist if you lost to her at the Lucario tower and she kept the mega bracelet for the rest of the game. Really disappointing rival.

Tierno was alright whenever he got screen time, kind of obnoxious, but at least he had a personality. Should have been more challenging.

Trevor really just shouldn't exist. He is there to play off of Tierno with his serious personality, but we never see any Tierno anyway. Would rather see they drop this nigga altogether and just focus on the above three.
>>
>>26442624
I thought the back streets in Lumiose were pretty cool and I liked seeing Poké-Versailles, but yeah, X and Y were pretty bad

too many Pokémon, not enough areas, and they kind of squished all the gym leaders together at the end

Teemphlair was also the most ridiculous concept of any of the evil teams and had shitty outfits
>>
>>26442636
>had to put in effort in Gen 2 and 3
You sure about that? I distinctly remember breaking the game with an overleveled Feraligatr and Swampert, respectively.

Gen 1 at least required a bit more effort because of how broken everything was. Gen 4 could be kinda cheesed with Infernape, but Cynthia's Garchomp was an issue. I don't think Gen 5 could be cheesed due to the way you got experience.
>>
>>26442397
A lot.

The only good thing about them is that, to the best of my memory, they don't gangbang you after every fucking gym like their equivalents in BW. Bianca fucking off was the best part of the game because it meant i only had two of them to worry about.

Unfortunately this isn't necessarily an improvement because they might just be so forgettable that I simply don't remember them doing so.
>>
>>26442624
How is it a trainwreck? Kalos region was pretty neat. Story was bad, but it was pokebad, which you've got to expect.
And honestly Yellow is easy as fuck, Blue would have me on the ropes only to use a double team. The AI is fucking retarded.
>>
Point out the one in OP's pic that has a personality. You can't.
>>
>>26442651
I cheesed Gen 5 with an Axew that I traded from another game as an egg. It doesn't really count though, since she was Adamant with Substitute, Dragon Claw, and Dragon Dance as egg moves.
>>
>>26442674
Shauna + Tierno
>>
File: Good Feels Otter.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Good Feels Otter.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>26442665
I desperately want a Pokemon game with a compelling story. It would be my dream come true.
>>
>>26442650
>too many Pokemon
>Not enough New Pokemon
ftfy
>>
>>26442693
Play other franchises. Stories don't belong in pokemon
>>
>>26442650
>Teemphlair was also the most ridiculous concept of any of the evil teams
I dunno man, the team of people who followed a guy set on destroying the universe because of hurt feelings was pretty retarded. At least Flare thinks they're getting something out of it.

>>26442636
>at least you had to put effort in from gen 1.
Only because opponents were routinely 10-30 levels above the player to compensate for the fact that the CPU could not for its life generate a good movepool.

The best part is that it still doesn't work because it's Gen 1 and any non-retard knows at least three ways to make it bend over and take it. TMs skew the game so badly in favor of the player that it isn't funny because trainers use level-up moves that are near-universally shit.
>>
File: 1460228041371.gif (3 MB, 400x255) Image search: [Google]
1460228041371.gif
3 MB, 400x255
>>26442693
>Platinum and Gen 5 will be the only good Pokemon games with a top quality story
>>
>>26442705
I don't mind the lack of new Pokémon since almost all of them were great. The real issue was a lack of enough areas to hold the almost 400 Pokémon in the Kalos dex, with many common Pokémon having like 10% encounter rates.
>>
How do you pronounce Calem? always pronounced it as callum because kale-m sounds gay.
>>
>>26442724
>Thinking any pokemon game has a "top quality story"
Are you literally 12 years old?
>>
>play X in moon rune mode to practice language after college
>get tired of them jumping at you every fucking turn
>rush through dialogue without translating because it's so retarded
>50% of the dialogue is this
I guess I wasted my time
>>
Hey man, they weren't the coolest but they were my friends. Couldn't pokemon for shit though.
>>
>>26442738
Callem
>>
>>26442397
Honestly the two boys are the worst because they're goals are too poorly implemented with their battles with you.

I mean Tierno wants a dance team and you always beat Trevor when comparing pokedexes.

Too few battles with Calem/Serena, and Shauna is okay outside of the fact that she's picked the weaker starter to you.

It would've been better if it worked like this:
>Serena
Standard battles, actually uses a complete team by endgame
>Shauna
Double battles
>Tierno
Either add a rhythm type minigame to compete with him like contests, or rotation battles
>Trevor
Have a set number of pokemon he caught each time he meets you so there's a sense of competition, battles you with inversion battles to 'test your mind'
>>
File: bv8p96t7p.gif (993 KB, 450x272) Image search: [Google]
bv8p96t7p.gif
993 KB, 450x272
>>26442741
>Implying I'm 12 just because of an opinion about an obvious truth
Are you?
>>
>>26442866
Thanks for confirming my suspicions kiddo. Try reading a book sometime ok? Maybe youll actually discover what a story that isnt shit is like.
>>
>>26442397

They never fucking leave you alone and barely have personalities.

Basically, people who should have been generic one-off characters were shoved in your face and made to be your best friend for literally no reason.
>>
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 897x643) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 897x643
Serena made ME feel like the rival. Was not a fan of bullying some cute girl 24/7.

Shauna made me feel like a creep. Not cool game freak.

Trevor was made for bullying.

Tierno is only good in the anime.

LIGHTNING ROUND:

The rival in ORAS having a raichu made me throw up.
>>
I'm gonna be real, Cheren and Bianca had absolutely horrible dialog too. I didn't play BW2 but assuming his "I'm gonna rage!" line from the trailer is in the games, I think it's a safe bet Hugh has cringey dialog too. I suppose at least Cheren and Bianca went through some character arcs but they were predictable and about as basic as you can get. I just don't think it's such a huge difference between that and the 4 in XY getting nothing.
>>
>>26442921
>youll
>actually discover what a story that isnt shit is like

And I'm the kid? Jesus your autism is through the roof. I wasn't comparing the games I mentioned to The Last of Us, or fucking Uncharted. They're just better than any other game in the series

Fuck off
>>
>>26442996
You need to be 18 to post here, kid. Go to bed.
>>
>>26442660
this

Gen V rivals were shit
>Cheren's cringy dialogue
>Hugh's cringy dialogue
>Bianca not fucking off
>>
>>26443031
I mean, besides Shauna being shit at Pokemon and not hwving her father chase after her, is there really any massive difference between Shauna and Bianca's character?
>>
>>26443066
Shauna doesn't seem to quit and become a lab assistant like Bianca, and claims she'll travel to another region.

But Bianca was far more annoying.
>>
>>26442397
Dull dull dull
No personality, no development, no reason to give a shit.
>>
File: uwot.jpg (67 KB, 458x479) Image search: [Google]
uwot.jpg
67 KB, 458x479
>>26443024
Nice counter argument to my points, anon
>>
>>26443077
I meant as far as personality. I guess the biggest difference is Bianca has the airhead carelessness thing, and Shauna wants your dick instead, and I'm gonna be real and say the former is probably more annoyingly gimmicky.
>>
>>26443089
Dont you have school tomorrow? You need your rest.
>>
>>26442976
>Serena made ME feel like the rival. Was not a fan of bullying some cute girl 24/7.
I mean to be fair there was actually a narrative reason for this.
>>
>>26443098
>Proven to be underage and autistic
>W-well I guess I better retort by calling him underage!

Kek
>>
File: 1430836944640.jpg (341 KB, 1414x2000) Image search: [Google]
1430836944640.jpg
341 KB, 1414x2000
>>26442430
>Serena is ok.
>just OK
you're either gay, blind, or both
>>
>>26443140
Kids like you should stick to reddit. You dont really fit in here.
>>
>>26442741
relatively speaking, the story was OK
>>
>>26442430

>Tierno looks like a badass

Except he's not, he's a dancing fruitcake
>>
>>26442397
You have to hear a hat, but your FOUR rivals don't.
>>
>>26443201
>still calling the other anon a kid
kek
>>
File: update 5 pic 10_zps72m2tusy.png (81 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
update 5 pic 10_zps72m2tusy.png
81 KB, 400x240
>>26442397
>What went wrong?
Not making these two the rivals and dropping the other four completely.

It would fix two problems at the same time.
>>
>>26443207
You take that back you fuck
>>
If you're gonna do multiple rivals, you need to give them all individual subplots.
>give the Pokedex guy some sidequests where you hunt down a legendary together or something. Hell, even making him pop up throughout the game offering trades and evolution items for Pokedex completion would have been cool.
>give the dance guy some mini-games. If not, then give him some kind of story sequence where you have to help him prepare for a performance or something. Post-game turn him into a "I need some inspiration, so bring me a Pokemon with _____" NPC
>Shauna just needed a stronger resolution to her arc
>Rival was fine, although could have been harder

That's all it would have taken to make them feel justified.
>>
I wish to lick Shauna's brown asshole.
>>
>>26442693
Play Gen 5
>>
>>26443234
Nice shitpost. Where do I upvote?
>>
File: 1457481786740.jpg (67 KB, 604x354) Image search: [Google]
1457481786740.jpg
67 KB, 604x354
>>26442580
>Selena is a little bitch when she loses and also ditches you and your friends

Can you explain this in detail? I barely started up playing X as the girl but id like to see the perspective form playing as a boy.

Does Serena really ditch you and the other three?
>>
>>26443306
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>26443299
BW had the best story of a Pokemon game but it is in no way "compelling", give me a break. And it didn't even use its ideas to their full potential. It's absolutely stupid 99% of Plasma grunts are just typical grunts with admittedly hilariously ironic dialog when there could have been an evil team with legitimately good intentions.
>>
>>26443317
>>>/out/
>>
>>26443314
It happens on the perma-autumn route before the city with the mushrooms and Fairy-type Gym. Fucker literally ditches the group to go spend some "quality time" with their Pokémon.
>>
>>26443338
i would ditch you three fucks too
>>
They were all bland and annoying, especially Shauna.
>>
>>26443349
I wish the player character was given the option to ditch those three fuckers.
>>
File: trevor-amie.jpg (114 KB, 500x532) Image search: [Google]
trevor-amie.jpg
114 KB, 500x532
>>26442397
>Shauna is literally low-IQ retarded, not even like a small child, but like a mildly high functioning special ed kid
>the other PC is embarrassing and you pretty much curbstomp her in story
>and then Trevor and Tierno don't do shit (at least Trevor is cute as fuck)

>>26442569
this shit too

>>26442651
not that anon, but I had to put in vague effort in Gen 2 because if you didn't go back and forth to grind and just fought every trainer and balanced your team, you'd be in the upper 30s/low 40s by the time you hit the E4 (at least the E4 is also really fucking low leveled, there's a point where fucking everything you fight is in the 40s)
you'd also end up with a team in the upper 40/low 50s (because everything up until Blue is in its 40s at most, so you get pretty meh experience overall) by the time you fought Red, who leads with a level 81 Pikachu that insists on starting off with Charm nearly every time (still beat him without grinding, but with massive, unrepentant revive abuse)

in contrast, I balanced my team and didn't grind and just fought everything in my way and all that in Gen 6, and oh man, I put in zero effort on any fight the entire game
zero effort

>>26442994
Hugh is hilariously retarded. It's almost endearing, but it's not. Read them.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hugh#Pok.C3.A9mon_Black_2_and_White_2

also, all of the dialog in the games from Gen 4 on goes from "ordinary stilted RPG speech" to "being patronized by baby talk" and I hate it so fucking much, no one talks like this, not even in overly literally translated shit
>>
I miss douchebag rivals who you actually felt like you were trying to one up another.

Friendly rivals don't push me to want to do better than them. They're annoying and just give you everything. At least Wally had an arc and improves. He feels more like a younger brother trying to prove himself.
>>
>>26443374
>"All riiight! Let's go find that person named Bianca! Let's go!"
Wow that is some bad translating. You'd think Pokemon would have a good enough team to avoid shiy like that.
>>26443396
I mean does Blue or Silver really genuinely make you feel like you want to become better? Really? These characters are not that compelling.
>>
>>26443396
The only douchebag rival i have ever experienced was blue from leafgreen, wish GF made a rival like that again.
>>
>>26443396
Honestly if Wally was a hot chick, he could have been a compelling character with a story arc that made more sense and an excuse for more Gardevoir.
>>
>>26443421
They should at least make the rival friendly at first, but gets more and more frustrated as you beat him and goes full asshole mode near the end.
>>
>>26443425
>an excuse for more Gardevoir
Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>26443421
>I mean does Blue or Silver really genuinely make you feel like you want to become better?

Yeah they actually felt like rivals. Probably would hurt too many kid's feelings nowadays to bring back legit rivals.
>>
>>26443434
>stopped reading at the end of the post

NO FUCKING SHIT
>>
>>26443440
Really? Seriously? Like, right now and not when you were like 6 they make you want to do better than them?
>>
>>26443440
Nah dude

Silver is just a dick who steals a Totodile from Elm, he doesn't even do the gym challenge IIRC

I don't see how that makes you want to improve, it just makes it more obvious that he's a miniboss
>>
>>26443451
Well I want to do better than them now because it's a big part of the game. But it does feel more rewarding even now beating them compared to current rivals.
>>
File: 1289042637351.gif (63 KB, 444x444) Image search: [Google]
1289042637351.gif
63 KB, 444x444
Too many of them, and none of them ever have anything interesting to say but they won't shut up. You can condense them to two characters and they become a lot more interesting. Check it out:

Shauna: main Rival, chooses the starter that is strong against yours. She is peppy and likes to help people, and believes she can do anything together with her Pokemon! If you want to make it dramatic, she can have a mini-crisis when she realizes she isn't strong enough to stop Team Flare on her own, but with the power of ~friendship~ you manage to pull through. You can battle her at the Battle Resort once a week after the game ends.

Tierno: chooses the starter weak to yours. He starts out a bit shy, very concerned with how he comes off to others, and isn't sure if he is up for the task of completing the Pokedex. But around gym 2, when he sees how Pokemon seem to dance on the battlefield he becomes inspired and vows to persevere despite any setbacks. Throughout the game he comes out of his shell and loses a bit of weight. You can find him in a cafe in the Battle Resort at the end of the game, giving you hints where Pokemon you haven't caught are located. If you have a complete Pokedex, you can battle him (strongest trainer in the game?).

Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than what we got, and I literally just made it up.

I don't mind that they're easy- Pokemon is made with kids in mind- but being boring is atrocious. In a game where your character is silent, your rivals are in many ways the protagonist, and they need to be interesting for the game to work. Gen IV and Gen V did a decent job, that is all I am asking for.
>>
>>26443442
I really hope it didn't go over your head.
>>
>>26443456
He's a ginger douche that commits an actual crime. I thought it was dope as a kid he didn't give a fuck about the badges.
Definitely a more interesting rival than Serena
>>
>>26443493
Well yeah, wet toast would be a more interesting rival than Serena

I just don't think Silver is very good either
>>
>>26443493
This. Say what you will about Silver, he undeniably does something at least a bit interesting. HG/SS flesh him out much better but at the cost of making him a total softie at the end.
>>
>>26443066
Bianca is ditzy, but at least seems to have something between her ears. She seems earnest. She's not a good rival, but I liked her.
Shauna... doesn't. She's an overly cheerful little kid that doesn't think about anything other than when she tries to woo the MC.

>>26443421
I'm convinced it's deliberately done to spell things out for younger players.
but it introduces alien speaking patterns that don't help anyone old enough to actually fucking read

>>26443421
I loved how Blue was such a fuckface as a kid, and seeing him beat all the gyms before you was such a nice touch. He was definitely good rival material.
Silver seemed like a tryhard, but I appreciated that as soon as I bought Ruby. His whole "I hate the weak" thing seemed so fucking hardcore, and I wanted to beat him so he could hate himself back then. Him stealing a Pokemon was pretty baller though.
Wally's this sick kid that doesn't feel like your rival, and May was too nice (although, the fight on the way to Mauville really did make her feel like a rival, I lost a couple times there my first time playing).
Barry was loud an annoying and cheerful too, he was kind of rival-ish.
Cheren's a fuckface, and not even a satisfying one, but his arc isn't too bad, meaning of strength and all, and Bianca's a ditz who's bad at Pokemon.
Hugh is literally a random shonen anime hero who doesn't realize that he isn't the protagonist, and is pretty much an idiot. Fuck Hugh.

>>26443456
I have no idea why he didn't do the gym challenge.
actually, why the fuck is he on Victory Road or at the League if he doesn't have the badges
>>
>>26443374
The overly patronizing handholding and babying of XY at least felt appropriate from Calem/Serena. They assumed they'd be the best of the group and patronized everyone with shitty rulebooks and tutorials.
To an experienced player, this was annoying and would make you want to beat them. To a new player, this could be helpful but also annoying and make you want to beat them. The problem was that Calem/Serena literally never fought you in the early stages of the game where they could be an actual challenge, and thanks to the dozens of easy mode things they slipped in, you were overleveled and overprepared by the time they actually tried to fight you. As a result, they just come off as an annoyance at the start of the game and then roll over on their stomach the moment you actually fight them. There's nothing satisfying about it, and they just continue to pester you and act as free experience points, which you're already swimming in thanks to the updated system.
I like the updated experience share and system, but it feels like they implemented it at the last minute and didn't balance the game around it, or they legitimately think kids are too stupid to win the games any more. Pokemon was always full of hand-holding, but in XY they made no attempt to hide it. I would have been insulted as a child to get patronized this fucking badly.
I think I was making a point here but now its just an adult male rambling about games for little girls.

>>26443421
The translators would rather mix in outdated memes like Over 9000 than localize things to not sound like confused foreign babbling.
>>
>>26443374
>>26443421
HGSS changed translation teams, there's a noticeable difference in English script styles since then. NoA did it up through Platinum and their team had a lot more passion for it, even doing things like giving feedback to the original scenario writer about things that could've been expanded on more or done better.

Since it's been TPCi, who have also been fucking up the anime dub since they took over even more than 4kids did.
>>
>>26443192
I'm bisexual and colorblind.
>>
>>26443557
You know, I kind of thought I noticed change in translation teams just based on dialog but I never payed attention to the credits or cared enough to look it up.
>>
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 600x600
I hated the instant 'oh we're best friends' vibe you get from the group in X/Y. You've barely met them and they don't feel like friends or rivals.

Why not have a rival that actually beats you and insults you in a cut scene? Or, in Sun and Moon, there's a brief moment where they insult you and your starter. That's instant dislike for them, and even more thrill to fight them with your starter.

If you lose against them, they insult you again. Over time slowly seeing you as a true trainer, even vaguely becoming tsun. By the end they apologize, but then promise they will defeat you next time.

Or even involve the rival with the team of the region. Get them indoctrinated into the moral ideals that gets grunts recruited into the team. Have them show up in the uniform.
>>
>>26443603
>If you lose against them, they insult you again.
Why not make them punch you in the face?
>>
Just a suggestion:
>beat champion
>rival comes in and challenges you right after the fight

Like RBY but reversed.
>>
>>26443627
how about they pants you and shove you to the ground
>>
>>26443704
and then you have hot sex?
>>
File: Jim Carrey as himself.jpg (39 KB, 430x360) Image search: [Google]
Jim Carrey as himself.jpg
39 KB, 430x360
>>26443603
>Always used the name "Jake" in the games, since that's what everyone calls me
>Decided to be an adult and use "Jacob" when I bought Y this year
>Immediately forced to meet all these annoying kids
>They want to call me horrible nicknames
>Just tell them to call me "Jake" since it's short for "Jacob"
Thanks Gamefreak.
>>
You cant fuck Trevor's boipucci
>>
>>26443745
Clearly I'm not the only one that hated the nickname thing.
>>
>>26443192
gayfag here.

Serena was the most basic fucking bitch of all the rivals. I get that she's a blank palette for people but the default one was awful. Shauna was queen
>>
File: 1462961433212.jpg (106 KB, 686x800) Image search: [Google]
1462961433212.jpg
106 KB, 686x800
This is your has-the-type-advantage rival in Sun & Moon.
>>
>>26443603
Because Silver was shit.
>you beat me haha you're weaker than me you piece of shit
>you beat me again haha i can't lose
>you beat me yet another time i am the best trainer of all you're too weak
How does anyone like this is beyond me. He goes a random 180° at the end too.
>>
>>26442693
Play mystery dungeon explorers of sky
>>
File: 1435475875186.png (209 KB, 638x548) Image search: [Google]
1435475875186.png
209 KB, 638x548
>>26443440
Silver was a wanker.

YOU'RE A WEAKLING FAGGOT, FUCK YOU WEAK FAGGOT!

HOW DID YOU BEAT ME, YOU'RE A FUCKING WEAKLING SO HOW DID YOU WIN

WHAT? YOU TREAT YOUR POKEMON LIKE FRIENDS!? THAT'S FUCKING WEAKLING TALK FOR PISSY WEAK FAGGOTS, THE FACT THAT A WEAKLING LIKE YOU BEAT ME PROVES THAT YOU'RE WEAK!

Fucking little shit. I'm glad his dad abandoned him. Now Blue? Blue was a rival. He was an obnoxious little cunt, who'd ruin your day. And he didn't just talk shit, he backed it up by becoming the damn Champion.
>>
>>26444008
Because it's not:

>'yay we're besties forever and ever'
>'I'm going to act all superior and be a bitch'
>'DANCING'
>'Pokedexs are my only reason to live'.

At least Silver and Bianca had a character arc
>>
>>26442651
Cynthia had perfect pokemon,
>>
File: flygonposter.png (98 KB, 697x584) Image search: [Google]
flygonposter.png
98 KB, 697x584
>Muh Purrloin
>Doesn't even use a Purrloin in his team
>>
>>26444117
it's his sister's purrloin, why would he use it
>>
>>26444008
Silver's whole deal was that he was literally Vegeta. He's edgy, he doesn't take well to losing, and then he finally comes around that he's not the best like he wanted to believe.

And you know what, that's still better than nearly everything else we've had regarding rivals.
and that's kind of depressing
>>
>>26442569
Believe it or not it's possible to lose to Trevor in a Dex filling contest every time. The only problem is that you have to be purposely avoiding trainers and wild encounters everywhere in order for it to happen, and it's inconsequential anyway.
>>
>>26442397
i liked rivals better when they were assholes.
>>
>>26442397
Gen 5 starting the trend of cavalcades of useless rivals.
>>
>>26444021
>>26444199

>Silver had a character arc
Suddenly reversing your stance at the last second with no build up is not a "character arc." Silver was a shit rival.
>>
Blue>Silver>Barry>everyone else that is not Hugh>faggot>Hugh.
>>
>>26443201
>Newfag telling someone to go back to another site.

Motherbitch, this isn't /b/. At least ACT like you've been here before 2016 started.
>>
>>26444117
>Implying his team needs it.
>>
Blue > Silver > Cheren > Barry > Wally > Hugh > May/Brendan > Serena/Calem > Dawn > Bianca > Trevor > Shauna > Tierno

I really hate that fat fucker.
>>
>Tfw neo wally managed to make a bigger impression than all XY's rivals with minimal effort.
>>
Just finished playing Y for the first time yesterday.

Serena's dialog actually made me feel bad when she popped up out of nowhere and the only reason I beat her was because I had a million Moomoo milks in my bag.

Shauna had too much screentime for someone you've never met before. Her character would have made much more sense if she was your sister.

Tierno was okay, but the fact that there were no contests/theater in the region made it a bit off. (I'd be interested to see how his team's moveset would work in a contest desu).

Trevor was underused. For someone that's really into studying rare pokemon he has a stupidly basic team.

>>26443236
I must have not been paying attention the first time these guys showed up because I had no fucking clue who or what they were. I could remember seeing them before, but that's it.
>>
>>26443440
>Probably would hurt too many kid's feelings nowadays to bring back legit rivals
Are people so paranoid that they think this is actually the case
>>
File: THIS.jpg (195 KB, 500x641) Image search: [Google]
THIS.jpg
195 KB, 500x641
>>26443269
>>
>>26443374
>>26443523
>Shauna is literally low-IQ retarded, not even like a small child, but like a mildly high functioning special ed kid
>Bianca is ditzy, but at least seems to have something between her ears. She seems earnest. She's not a good rival, but I liked her.
>Shauna... doesn't. She's an overly cheerful little kid that doesn't think about anything other than when she tries to woo the MC.

These two guys sum up my feelings about Shauna pretty well. All the other rivals in XY at worst only made me not care. Shauna was incredibly distracting because it was clear she wasn't written to be a character in her own right, but rather to speak directly to the player (or put simply, to be a waifu character).

I don't have a problem with a bubbly/cheerful character but the every time I read Shauna's dialogue I was shot back into a real world where I'm aware of the fact that all those lines were probably written by some middle aged guy in a Japanese office.

And I'm not even really against waifushit in principle or anything, but it felt like that's all Shauna was meant to be, and that's distracting.
>>
>>26442397
Keep Shauna as your "friendly" rival, give her an arc to make her stop second-guessing herself, have her battle twice against you and thrice with you.

Make Tierno the "jerkass" rival obsessed with "coolness", he acts like some tubby rich spoiled brat. He eventually joins Team Flare because it's what all the cool kids are doing, but eventually defects once he sees the full extent of their plans. He battles you four times and with you against the Flare Admins / Scientists once.

Put Trevor in various locations throughout the overworld, going on an entirely separate journey from you. He's Sycamore's star Pokedex-filler. If you have more Pokemon-species owned when you meet him (which will be hard to do), he gives you rare shit. You can battle his team once you get to Kiloude city.

There, I fixed the XY rivals.
>>
>>26443745
I thought it was hilarious when they called me 'Big D'
>>
>>26442569
>Coconut Head keeps "challenging" you to a Dex-Battle you literally cannot lose, and does absolutely nothing post-game except mention a short list of Megas
I actually tied with him the first two times
>>
>>26443024
jesus christ stop being an immature bitch and fuck off
>>
>>26442397
>Not enough fights against them
>Shauna and Serena apparently get the Kanto starters you didn't chose but their teams don't include them
>Serena also gets the fossil you didn't get but again her team never reflects that
>When you save the Abomasnow on the mountain the game sets the bases for double battles along with Trevor except it doesn't happen
>>
>There is literally no point to Shauna's existence. Calem/Serena could have done the starter battle against you and Tierno/Trevor could have fulfilled every other role of hers in the story (hey come look at this thing!)
>Serena/Calem was alright, but should have been a bit more challenging and fighting against you more often.
>Tierno wasn't bad, but he was mostly just for entertainment, more battles with him would have been great, even if he wasn't as challenging as calem/serena.
>Trevor should have actually challenged you on the pokedex. Like you really did have to have more in the dex than him to get past him at certain points or get rewards from him like tms or evolutionary stones.
>>
>>26442397
>all of them are super weak
>they talk way too much
>since there is so many they barely get to have a character
>they show up a lot
>they aren't very useful either
>>
File: 1463950458124.jpg (82 KB, 575x549) Image search: [Google]
1463950458124.jpg
82 KB, 575x549
>>26442565
inb4 it winds up to this and it's the closest thing to rivalry.
>>
>>26444838
>Suddenly
>with no build up
I guess you mashed the A button through everything after the Team Rocket hideout, huh?
>>
File: facebooklogo.jpg (157 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
facebooklogo.jpg
157 KB, 1500x1500
>>26442708
Like?
>>
>m-muh asshole rivals
They were absolute shit and would be. It's impossible to have a shred of respect towards someone who only talks shit and gets stomped shortly after every single time, and cries "bawww y u so stronk i'll have my revenge fagit :(" in all the remaining time. The problem of XY rivals were weak ass characters made even worse by zero development, they are basically placeholders because pokemon games must have rivals. Meanwhile BW actually had the evolution of Bianca from ditzy klutz to a pretty decent trainer doing what she wanted to do and Cheren instead of just whining "why can't i git gud and lose" actually managed to git gud and earn a gym leader position. Pretty much the same reason is why Wally is still remembered, despite being shit he managed to get some development too, which is still better than your average rival.
>>
I'll be happy when /vp/ finally stops calling Tierno, Shauna and Trevor "rivals". Since, you know..they aren't.
>>
>>26447130
I think it could be interesting if instead of the rival always losing, the encounters would be one-offs. (Parring maybe the final one)
You lose, you actually get bit of dialogue about it, and you both carry on your way. Maybe it even affects the story/future fights somehow
As winning is optional, they could ramp up the difficulty for the fights, and at least for kids, the fights would actually matter. It'd allow the rival to possibly be an asshole without having to resort to "muh stronk, muh revenge".
They kind of did that in Yellow, where the Eeveelution your rival had depended on how you did on the first two fights. I think one of the TCG games also did this. You fought your rival a few times, and if you won, you'd get a rare card.
>>
>>26442518
>Super Sentai Pogeymanz
Shiiet, how the fuck I managed to overlook that.
>>
>>26442397
They're all cunts
>>
>>26442569
>When Shauna's following you in the starter forest, she mentions wanting a Pikachu but she cannot find one. If you catch one, you can't trade it to her and she doesn't react to it at all

But she does react, she says something along the lines of "Hey. you got a Pikachu!" if you get one before that scripted dialogue spot.
>>
>>26442397
You didn't get to fuck the shit out of Shauna
>>
>>26442397
We didn't need all of them.
They give you a nickname (Li'l A...A-Meister etc)
Their teams are practically indistinguishable.

Tierno should've had rotation battles, because there is not a single one in XY.
Trevor should've had a different team each time like N.
Shauna should've been your main rival with the starter strong against yours, with Serena's "wah I'm weak" but also her "meh idgaf anyway I just like goofing around" attitude. She also should've had a couple outfit changes.
Her final team:
>Starter
>Mega Absol
>Goodra
>Meowstic
>Fossil you didn't pick
>Sylveon
>>
>>26443236
Who...?
>>
>>26444009
Underrated
>>
>>26444117
It was his grandfather's, he passed away. It makes him a better character to me. Just slightly
>>
>>26447069
DQ
>>
>people unironically like Shauna
Most annoying part of these "rivals" and that whole "POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" scene on the bridge was just too much
>>
File: 1441771168543.png (174 KB, 418x640) Image search: [Google]
1441771168543.png
174 KB, 418x640
>>26443396
Why do people keep saying Blue was a douche? Every one of his lines was just him being a headstrong kid who had fun trying to be better than his best friend. He literally only actually throws an insult like twice at most, and even then it's just because he's a young boy. they tend to do that

Is everyone thinking of Gary?
Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.