[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Leak period for Gen 7 has started >Gen 7 >7 >Still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: 1453008-misty_brock_ash_super.jpg (56 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1453008-misty_brock_ash_super.jpg
56 KB, 600x338
>Leak period for Gen 7 has started
>Gen 7
>7
>Still remember the glory years of Gens 1, 2 and 3 like they were yesterday.
>Fucking Gen 4 was 10 fucking years ago
>Misty (one of the three prominent human characters in Pokemon) hasn't actually been in the anime for 13 years.
>The anime has generally rid itself of any risqué jokes/content.
>The aura of "coolness" that once surrounded Pokemon is long gone - most new Pokemon conform to a very bubbly, cartoony aesthetic.
>Since transitioning to 3D, Pokemon has lost its charm, and the newest region (which I can't even remember the name of without having to look it up since I only played XY once) somehow feels so much smaller when it should feel bigger.

Nostalgia thread, anyone? I miss being a kid.
>>
Mate, if you don't like Pokemon anymore then why are you on this board?
>>
>>26421779
I only hate the anime.
>>
>>26421794
I do like Pokemon now, that's the thing. I just don't adore it like I used to.

Just part of growing up I guess.
>>
>>The aura of "coolness" that once surrounded Pokemon is long gone - most new Pokemon conform to a very bubbly, cartoony aesthetic.

Nostalgia is blinding.
>>
File: oldnewdesigns.png (613 KB, 1282x1878) Image search: [Google]
oldnewdesigns.png
613 KB, 1282x1878
>>26421899
It has nothing to do with nostalgia.
>>
>>26421899
No. Older Pokemon (particularly Gen 1) had, for lack of a better expression, a harder edge to them.
>>
>>26421779
I dont miss the blissful ignorance of childhood. Sure it was more fun, but I prefer to know what goes on in life and being a child would make that next to impossible
>>
>>26421912
Here we go with this meme again
>>
File: onixpected.png (58 KB, 298x251) Image search: [Google]
onixpected.png
58 KB, 298x251
>>26421912
Here we go again
>>
>>26421977
ow, the edge
>>
>>26421912
Someone post the Volcarona-Butterfree image so we can get this meme out of the discussion
>>
>>26421779
Gen3 wasn't part of the "glory years" unless Gen3 was your main Gen for you personally as a kid. The franchise lost a lot of its momentum between Gen2 and 3.
>>
Please don't start this genwar shit OP

Like, I get it, I really do. Gen 1 Pokemania truly was something you had to be there to experience, Hoennbabies and Unovabortions and the like will never "get it". There was definitely a synergy of hype, childhood, and the way the games/cards/anime all worked in unison as a new series, that made it feel like something truly fucking special and irreplaceable. I'll never forget the feeling of getting an Ancient Mew card when I went to see Mewtwo Strikes Back with my dad.

With that being said, there was just never an 'aura of coolness' around Pokemon designs, no more in Gen 1 than the recent gens anyway, and for that matter I don't think the transition to 3D hurt the series' so-called charm. If you actually look at the 2D games, I don't think Pokemon has ever had charm in the mainline games, they've always been stiff and bland and soulless as fuck - it was just easier for you to project your own interpretations onto them when it looked like shit

So yeah. Gen 1 4 lyf and all that, but there's a fine line between nostalgia and genwar baiting
>>
I'm sorry?
Did you think you belonged here OP?
This is anti-gen 1 territory.
FUCK OFF.
>>
>>26422135
>Please don't start this genwar shit OP
>spends the next two paragraphs fueling it
Well done.
>>
>>26421779
>glory years coincidentally overlap with my childhood

wow that's not biased at all m8 :^)

Nostalgia is a shit
>>
File: Lewd lemons.jpg (921 KB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
Lewd lemons.jpg
921 KB, 1280x1440
>>26421779
>>The anime has generally rid itself of any risqué jokes/content.
Sure it has.
>>
>>26422213
How exactly did I do that?
>>
>>26421779
>>Misty (one of the three prominent human characters in Pokemon) hasn't actually been in the anime for 13 years.

I don't see the problem here, from the main cast she was the most useless character
>>
>>26422076
Maybe not for you. For me, Pokemon's popularity was still rife amongst my peers when RS came out, so even if Pokemon was losing or had lost its mainstream by this point, I include those games as a part of my "glory years" playing Pokemon.
>>
>>26423713
This. Only Iris was more shitty written than her.
>>
Reminder that gen 1 killed the series.
There's a reason it's hated so much here.
>>
>>26421779
>The anime has generally rid itself of any risqué jokes/content.
>literally has Bonnie say Clemont likes to be coiled by an Arbok in his underpants
>literally has it's own evolution and anime only legendaries

Kek, I guess you're one of those fags that thought OS was good when the only good things was the jokes and the occasional sad moment.
>>
>>26422048
Only if you pretend i'm a lewd loli.
>>
>>26421779
>>The anime has generally rid itself of any risqué jokes/content.

You couldn't be more wrong. At best there's just no more dirty old men (which hasn't happened much to begin with), references to being unfaithful (Norman) or quips about being flatchested.

Pokemon can still have risque humor but good luck with Cuckcart in charge of the scripts.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-05-21-23h09m23s715.png (635 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-05-21-23h09m23s715.png
635 KB, 1280x720
>>26424492
>At best there's just no more dirty old men
This was just twentyone episodes ago.
>>
>>26424066
Star eyed loli this place is not for you
>>
>>26421779
>The aura of "coolness" that once surrounded Pokemon is long gone

I think Gen5 was the only time Pokemon had an "aura of coolness"

Then they threw it out the window for Kalos
>>
OH FOR 4CKS SAKE GUYS! I CAN'T BELIEVE WE STILL HAVE GEN 1 FAGS!
>>
File: oldnewdesigns2.png (724 KB, 1146x2194) Image search: [Google]
oldnewdesigns2.png
724 KB, 1146x2194
>>26422048
>b-but one exception makes it not true!

lol nah.
>>
>>26424871
>non-ironically presenting HURRDURR as a good design

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>26424871
>Persian is a cat
>Liepard is a cat
Am I missing something here?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.