[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>R/S wasn't remade in the 5th gen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: sad pika.jpg (28 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sad pika.jpg
28 KB, 1280x720
>R/S wasn't remade in the 5th gen
>>
If they were as rushed as ORAS, it wouldn't have changed anything.
>>
File: 1443468317502.jpg (17 KB, 336x325) Image search: [Google]
1443468317502.jpg
17 KB, 336x325
Feels horrible.
>>
Nah, HGSS should have been 5th. Except with all the Johto problems like level curve and Pokemon distribution fixed, unlike Gen IV HGSS. Plus wouldn't be nearly as awful and slow.
>>
Will DP be remade in 7th or 8th gen?
>>
>>26417683
8th gen. There's only one set of remakes per handheld.
>>
>>26417450
Good, it's perfect now.
>>
>RS more important than Emerald
>no GSC in virtual console

>fucking DPPt remakes
>>
Good, 5th gen looked ugly as fuck
>>
File: 1462648366369.png (83 KB, 365x450) Image search: [Google]
1462648366369.png
83 KB, 365x450
>>26417683
>sinnoh gets cucked by firered/leafgreen remakes
>>
>>26417727
You can't improve on FRLG.
>>
>>26417745
>Phys/spec split
>Megas
>Day/night for ambiance
>No trumpets

I respectfully disagree
>>
>>26417698
Friendly reminder that patterns are not hard rules
>>
>>26417747
Dunno why this guy's post was deleted but whatever)
BW2 remixes weren't bad, but aside from a track or too (I think the major offender was Route 113? The ash route), most of the tracks in ORAS, and even Delta Episode, were top tier, especially the boss tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxuRw7UFeY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JehwuuTwg8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoYzS-NMTcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuM7TkTwqTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFoQotyP0Tw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJYiwDoCgd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qVIZ4ebzMk

>the amazing trumpets in the Team Leader battle music
>the box legendary theme briefly fading into the old chipset
>DEOXYS
>>
>>26417783
>>Phys/spec split
This is simple and so meaningless to the point where you don't even notice. If you are playing another game with the split it will be jarring to play. It hurts some pokemon but it's balanced out by helping others. If you have to pick whether to split or not to split you always pick the split but that is not an improvement. That is just needless complexity.
>>Megas
gimmick
>>Day/night for ambiance
If you want darkness go inside of a cave. This is a useless "feature". The ambiance of FRLG is fine as it is.
>>No trumpets
There are trumpets. There are no overwhelming high pitch trumpets that hurt your ears which is fine.
>>
>>26417905
>being able to use such things as physical Dark types and special Ghost types
>not a complete improvement
it was nonsensical that Bite wasn't a physical move to begin with
>>
>>26417783
>Trumpets are bad

Nigga don't make me go Louis Armstrong on your ass
>>
>>26417450
I do feel bad for Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald fans.

Gamefreak should really put out an official apology for fucking up so heavily.
>>
>>26418053
They should apologize to G/S/C fans for putting those remakes on the shitty-ass slow Gen IV engine while they're at it. FR/LG were the only remakes they got right.
>>
>>26418005
>>not a complete improvement
That the whole thing; it's not. Physical Ghost moves suck for Gengar but it's great for the Banette. Special Dark moves suck for Absol but it's great for Houndoom.
>>
>>26418091
HGSS weren't as slow as DP though.
>>
>>26418091
I wonder if we'll go back to Sevii ever again.
>>
>>26418091
i loved hg/ss, they were such complete games. oras on the other hand...
>>
They probably would've been rushed even more.
>>
>>26417905
Phys/Spec split is a major difference.
>>
>>26417450
It would've been as shit as ORAS, if not worse
>>
>>26418053
After recently playing through fire I can say that they were far worse than hgss and maybe even oras although it's art style was perfect and I don't know why they didn't stick to it
>>
>>26417712

>implying releasing one game is a better marketing strategy than releasing two
>implying we haven't just got R(G)BY on Virtual Console so GSC will eventually follow
>implying DPPt isn't fucking amazing and remakes wouldn't literally be the best Pokemon games
>>
>>26417811
True, but they are guidelines
and the only thing that supports Sinnoh being in Gen7 is "we're not in gen6 anymore"
Seeing as GF never says anything before official announcements, which are less than one year before release, the only thing we have to go on IS patterns
None of which supports sinnoh for Gen7
>>
>>26417811
They're not hard rules, but there's a soft rule called Common Sense™

Remaking Pokemon games on the second console /after/ the one they were released on is just good business sense. After all, whilst half of the point of doing a remake is just because kids will buy anything, there's also a sort of "look how far we've come since then!" element to it. The more consoles that have been and gone between an original and a remake, the more impressive the remake outwardly looks even if it's not actually that impressive at all (see: ORAS)

Now I'm not one to say with absolute certainty that we won't get a DP remake in gen 7, but it seem pretty safe to ASSUME it'll come on the 3DS's successor - especially considering the slowing of 3DS sales and Nintendo's focus on moving things to their next platforms (NX?)
>>
>>26417811
>>26420554
Patterns aren't really guidelines either. Literally every pattern is fans going "oh man, GameFreak did this thing a bunch of times! I bet they'll keep doing it!" I don't think, even when it comes to starter types, GF has ever said "yeah know, we're intentionally doing it." It's super obvious, but I doubt there's actual rules. It's just a convenient theme to keep to for a series rather adverse to huge change.

That said, unlike pretty much all other patterns "one remake per hardware generation" has a practical side to it, like this anon said: >>26420620. On the one hand, it means you return to a game when technology has progressed enough to make the remake noticeably more sophisticated in graphics and potentially size. There's a subtle aspect of mechanical development as well, but that's not so much tied to hardware as, by the time a few hardware generations have passed, there's likely to have been significant work done to the mechanics too. There's no particular hardware reason for the physical and special split, the addition of abilities, or the adding of types and retyping of mons. Well, aside from maybe the Gen I games, which were literally using up as much space on the carts as possible and still breaking at the seems.

On the other hand, you don't want to be pumping out too many games on a console. The Gameboy had 6 (RGBY and GS) and one on the GB Color (Crystal), though Gen I and II are odd in that regard. You could probably count the GB and GBC as one gen. The Advanced had 5 (RSE and FRLG), and the DS had a whopping 9 (DPPt, HGSS, BW, and BW2). Could you imagine what would've happened if we'd gotten ORAS on the DS? 11 games, and BW and BW2 were already coming out at the end of the DS cycle.

We're sitting on 6 games for the 3DS right now, which is about average per hardware gen (depending on how you count the GB and GBC).
>>
File: typical.png (147 KB, 976x802) Image search: [Google]
typical.png
147 KB, 976x802
>>26421004
>if i make a wall of text i automatically win

>patterns aren't guidelines
what i meant was guidelines to how to understand their reasoning
And it's pretty clear that GF does go by some patterns
>a set of simple Poké concepts redone every gen
>making twin-versions
So since we have not a single statement on the games after S&M,, and probably won't for years, i don't see any problem in trying to find out what makes GFs brains tick
It could easily be that they decide to go against this logic this gen, but given what little we have to go on, i think it's more probable that they will stick to things the way they are

Of course, if they did that, we hadn't gotten BW2, and we would've gotten Z or XY2 or something

Also, i don't have a source, but i think some official stated they had considered mixing up the starter typings, but decided against it, because it would be more confusing or something with other types
>>
>>26417450

It was Speculation of Pokémon fans.
>>
>>26421137

This is very inaccurate. Mew is not a fairy (type).
>>
>>26421199
It was made before Gen6 was even confirmed
It's an expression, though i guess "pixie" would work better now
Basically a legend that levitates/flies and has barely any plot significance (if any at all) and is designed as a tiny cute creature, somewhat immature in shape

What else is inaccurate about it?
>>
>>26417450
They got out of 5th gen as quickly as possible because it sucked.
>>
>FRLG is basically copypasted genwun made with gen 3 engine, only new thing added is sevii islands
>hurr best remake
>ORAS rehauled pretty much the entire game into something better, albeit with minor fuckups
>hurr worst remake
are autists still this mad about the lack of frontier and shittier contests? (not like they weren't shit anyway)
>>
>>26421541
>ORAS rehauled pretty much the entire game into something better, albeit with minor fuckups
Why would somebody go onto the internet and knowingly lie like this
>>
>>26421574
And what exactly it did wrong aside from ages old memes like difficulty?
>>
>>26421726
>Gimping of New Mauville
>Gimping of Granite Cave
>Gimping of Safari Zone
>Mallville
>Delta Episode was just running from point A to point B rehashing previous locations while that bitch Zinnia drop plot on us
>Where's the Battle Tower?
Those are just off the top of my head, I can ream off some more if you like, before we even get into the factors that aren't entirely ORAS's fault - that is, bad features that span across Generation 6 as a generation - and of course the age old Emerald features debate which I simply don't have the energy for. It also struck me as kind of silly that certain new features like soaring were gated off until seriously late into the game, and there were a handful of things I was incredibly surprised they skipped out on (not putting Sky Battles into the game with soaring, the one situation they'd actually make sense in?).

Now, I'm not saying ORAS was a bad game, I really enjoyed them and have done a few playthroughs on each, but I think it's disingenuous to call it's many shortcomings "minor fuckups", because there was a fair few things wrong with it from my recollection

Also difficulty might be a meme but it's still shitty how easy ORAS is compared to RSE
>>
>>26421975
and once again half of this is subjective
>Gimping of New Mauville
Compared to emerald yes, compared to RS not, RS new mayville was the same boring travel through an empty location and at least new one looks more interesting
>Gimping of Safari Zone
Albeit unique, the old system was shit, not really gonna cry about system which allowed for shinies and rare mons just run away on turn 1 and you cannot do shit about it
>Mallville
So a huge city which actually looks like the central city in the region, has a lot of facilities and shit to generally do is somehow worse than an empty road with 4 houses, gym, gaming corner and a bike shop? This is bait
>Where's the Battle Tower?
Completely replaced by maison which does the same job better
>easy ORAS is compared to RSE
it's literally the same if someone doesn't try to break the game on purpose and playing naturally, no pokeman game was ever hard
>>
>>26422228
>it's literally the same if someone doesn't try to break the game on purpose and playing naturally, no pokeman game was ever hard
Not that anon but end this fucking meme, even if you turn off the retarded Gen 6 EXP share OR/AS is straight-up easier than R/S. Difficulty exists on a sliding scale, just because they're both easy doesn't mean they're the same. OR/AS are undoubtedly easier than the originals
>>
>>26421199
it's not referring to the type.
>>
File: 1416339031203.jpg (9 KB, 98x122) Image search: [Google]
1416339031203.jpg
9 KB, 98x122
>>26419037
You can include the Emerald changes without just releasing Emerald. If you took the wild distributions and plot from Ruby and Sapphire and then included every gameplay-related addition and new location from Emerald, you would have an HGSS-tier remake that's essentially an Emerald remake split into two games.

>>26417898
I'm not a fan of the majority of ORAS covers, to be honest. When I compare them to the originals I more often than not think the remixes fucked up in the ways they stray from them.

To give an example, Route 104.

In the original, it starts off alternating between strings and trumpet, but then suddenly bolts into a very strong trumpet solo for the second half of the song, cooling down right at the end before the loop starts again.

In the ORAS they switched the two parts. There are trumpets playing where there were strings in the original, and the strong trumpet solo is replaced with a weaker string ensemble. It completely kills the tone of the song for me, there's like no contrast between the first and second halves of the song.

Another example, Sootopolis. In the original, the main melody constantly shifts around from instrument to instrument, from flutes to piano to keyboard to whatever that other woodwind is, I'm not good with naming woodwinds by sound.

In ORAS, it's all accordion and piano, mostly accordion. There are some parts where you have flutes performing harmony but the accordion takes center stage, and the loss of variety hurts the song in my eyes.

(1/2)
>>
File: 1421636636350.jpg (106 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1421636636350.jpg
106 KB, 800x800
>>26423253
(2/2)

I haven't extensively studied ORAS' discography or anything so I can't keep throwing out detailed examples like this, but whenever I do decide to compare RSE's soundtrack to ORAS', I'm always finding things I take fault with. I recently did an arrangement of Ever Grande City for my ROMhack, and I listened to both the RSE version and ORAS version repeatedly, and ORAS again had big faults not present in the originals.

It wasn't as snappy, they changed the instruments to something less sharp (the main melodic piece would sound sharp on its own but all the stuff going on in the background makes it stand out less) and composed the song with less accented notes, muted the bells, and then they used the bells at the one part where the original used trumpets as a deliberate contrast to the rest of the song, the whole thing was a mess. It didn't feel like the composer really understood the tone of the original, where all the notes were quick and snappy and the bells were very loud and clear-sounding; you made it to Victory Road, your journey is almost over! It was meant to sound celebrative, at least as I interpret it; they use a similar set of instruments and composition style in the Contest results screen. ORAS' version, while it's still generally "feel-good," just lacks the punch of the original and doesn't have its more joyous tone.

Keep in mind I'm not a music major or anything, this is just my amateur opinion and I apologize if it sounds like I'm rambling because I really didn't intend to write this much about only three music examples. ORAS does have its share of good covers, too. I just think the majority of its tracks are inferior to the original, and whenever I really study the songs, like if I want to cover them myself, I find myself really breaking the songs down and the original usually stands above the remake.
>>
>>26421137
Diancie isn't a pixie, pixies always have 100/100/100/100/100/100 stat distributions, none of the event Legendaries in Gen 6 fit that.
>>
File: 1463509440796.png (30 KB, 1014x525) Image search: [Google]
1463509440796.png
30 KB, 1014x525
>>26423253
>>26423273
Thank you anon, I'm glad I'm not a weirdo for noticing and being irked by these things. I mean I guess we may both be, but at least I'm not a lonely weirdo now. R/S had probably the best soundtrack in the franchise and I was crushed every time I heard a remake come up short. It was the same for me on HG/SS. I enjoyed the handful of original tracks for that, but most of the remixes were butchered. At least they gave us the option to hear the originals, after completing the whole fucking game.
>>
>>26424519
No problem.

>At least they gave us the option to hear the originals, after completing the whole fucking game.

Actually, even that's not true. I recently started playing Sacred Gold (which gives you the GB Sounds at the start) after spending a large amount of time doing things in Crystal's audio engine (I always post them in /heg/ when I do a cover, just to plug since I'm an attention whore), and I appalled to find they actually are NOT the original sounds. They're just the HGSS MIDIs put through a different soundfont, and it's incredibly noticeable because they don't even use any waveform-unique sounds, which to someone not familiar with the engine, I'll just sum up the "instruments" as, there are two square channels that can have four types of sound come from them, and a waveform channel that has a greater variety of sounds (but it's limited in volume range compared to the square channels). There's also a noise channel but that's not important to the conversation, though it's also wrong in GB Sounds.

It's hugely noticeable for songs that take advantage of the wave channel's instruments like the Surf theme and National Park.

Just compare the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBlX2LOffn0

To the GB Sounds version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc3nIVvAMgE

I still love HGSS as a whole, but I do admit my heart broke a little when I found out how inaccurate GB Sounds is. I apologize for posting this here just because I know anti-HGSSfag is in the thread and will probably use this as shitposting fuel in the future.
>>
doesn't there exist some really cool art of how a gen 5 r/s remake would look?

i remember the may/brendan redesigns looking really cool.
>>
>>26417905
I think Skyrim is more your speed.
>>
File: 1462880533053.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1462880533053.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
>>26424668
I always wondered why National Park, Olivine City, and the Surf theme sounded slightly off. Thanks for explaining fellow chiptune autist.
>>
>>26417450
BROOOOOOOOOOTHER MY BROOOOOOOOOOTHER
TELL ME WHAT ARE WE FIGHTING FOR
>>
>>26417905
christ you're retarded
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.