[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's that time again. Ask someone with impeccable taste
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 8
File: oak.jpg (8 KB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
oak.jpg
8 KB, 220x165
It's that time again.

Ask someone with impeccable taste anything.

I will settle all of /vp/'s subjective debates.
>>
Prove you have Impeccable taste:

Rowlett, Litten or Popplio?
>>
Scizor or Scyther ? Should Scizor have been a standalone pokemon ?
>>
Are owls birds?
>>
flamethrower thunderbolt or ice beam?
>>
>>26413228
No
>>
>>26413236
you forgot surf
>>
>>26413226
R O W L E T

O

W

L

E

T
>>
>>26413219
Fuck off. At some point you entertained the thought of going into threads to "settle" debates with your trip and "impeccable taste".
You're nothing but a filthy tripfag.
>>
>>26413226
Rowlett. It's playing directly into Papa GameFreak's popularity plans, but you'd have to be a fool to pass up a new signature grass move right off the bat.
>>
>>26413253
wrong answer
>>
>>26413219
Now, do you have impeccable preferences, or taste? Two completely different things.
>>
What's the best Poison-type?
>>
>>26413267
>He's picking Litten
>>
File: laughing whores.jpg (68 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing whores.jpg
68 KB, 446x400
>>26413243
>>
>>26413226
>>26413227
>>26413228
>>26413236
>>26413240
>>26413243
>>26413253
>>26413263
>>26413263
>>26413264
>>26413267
>>26413270
>>26413275
>>26413280
>>26413291

>giving him all these (you)s
>giving him all the attention he's been craving for

S T O P
>>
>>26413264
>he thinks Leafage will be a signature move
You already fucked up mate.
>>
>>26413243
You mean Hydro pump right ?
>>
>>26413291
>filename

Kek
>>
>>26413307
No that goes with Thunder and fireblast
>>
>>26413219
What flavor of ice cream should I buy from the super important dinner party that my boss will be coming to?
>>
File: 1385756968473.png (48 KB, 317x317) Image search: [Google]
1385756968473.png
48 KB, 317x317
>>26413219
Is Gen VI really as bad as /vp/ claims or is this board just full of contrarian faggots?
>>
>>26413219
Which pokegirl would you like to have rough sex with?
>>
>>26413227
Tough call. Scizor is straight up better and cooler, but Scyther does a better job of being a bug monster. I'll go with Scyther.

An evolution that does nothing but rearrange stats is definitely odd. Ideally it would have been a split evolution from some pre-evolution.
>>
>>26413219
XD or Colosseum?
>>
>>26413326
Contraian faggots

They love Gen V, that's enough evidence
>>
>>26413228
Yes, anon. But keep it on the down-low.

>>26413236
Thunderbolt in-game, Ice Beam competitively.
>>
>>26413304
Just saying. A preference is just a like/dislike of one thing or another. Taste is your ability to delve into something's attributes at varying complexities.

If you say, "I like/dislike Rowlet because it's cute/ugly," then you have pretty shallow taste with just a particular preference.

It's like saying you like a certain pop song just because it's catchy, or chicken tenders because they're simple and satisfying.

But if you're able to take something, and the further you're able to pick it apart and understand it's different attributes, the. You start to get I to your level of "taste." It's more or less your ability to "taste" something. All these years people say, "You like X genre? Well you have no taste." It adapted as sort of an insult. It initially implied that if they like this, surely they can't pull out any sort of complexity or understanding. But liking rap over country, or Litten over Popplio isn't a better or worse taste. It's just a preference.
>>
>>26413389
Get off of this board. You are far too intelligent for it
>>
>>26413270
Impeccable taste. My taste is objectively impeccable, but my preferences don't always match up.
>>
>>26413275
Crobat. While Gengar is arguably the best Poison Pokemon, Crobat embodies the Poison typing better. It's excellent at inflicting all kinds of nasty status ailments and crippling the opponent, which is exactly what Poison should be.
>>
File: zed.png (196 KB, 441x248) Image search: [Google]
zed.png
196 KB, 441x248
>>26413219
Perfect Zygarde.

Yay or nay?
>>
>>26413389
image of a man with red hair and beard nodding and smiling as the camera zooms in closer.
>>
>>26413305
Even if it gets more distribution, it's at least a new move. I would rather see a new move being used than an old one.
>>
>>26413219
What would you rather have: a gen with the best pokemon designs but worse games or a gen with the best pokemon games but worse designs?

Remember that in later gens can make a game worse or better. They can't change a pokemon design but they can give it an evolution that is worse or better.
>>
>>26413462
>Crobat embodies the Poison typing better
Amoongus does that far better, most people don't even run Toxic on Crobat nowadays and just use it as a U-Turn sweeper.
Not to mention conceptually it's just a fucking bat, nothing poisonous about that. It completely lost the vampire bat theme upon evolution.
>>
>>26413512
>Nothing poisonous about that
Bats literally created Ebola, you nigger.
>>
>>26413325
Cookies and cream. Make sure your boss gets a big-ass intact Oreo. Guaranteed success.

>>26413326
There's a distinction between "bad" and "disappointing". Gen 6 was disappointing for long-time fans, but it wasn't necessarily bad on its own merit. It just did what a lot of modern games did; gimp the shit out of the single player experience and focus on integrating multiplayer aspects.
>>
>>26413539
Bloodsucking bats yes.
That theme is completely lost with Crobat, no mention of it in the dex entries and it doesn't even have fangs anymore. The teeth are fucking cubed.
>>
>>26413569
It can still learn leech life :^)
>>
What, in your opinion, are the best and worst-designed pokemon from each generation?
>>
>>26413337
Hilda

>>26413353
XD was much more polished and varied, and has better replay value due to the wider Pokemon selection, but Colosseum was more original and had a better atmosphere. Plus the limited Pokemon roster gave a lot of overlooked Pokemon some limelight and made the game more challenging. Colosseum wins.
>>
>>26413482
It will likely be a 40BP move along the lines of Ember and Water Gun, in other words shit. While all three of them look fairly boring it's also important to mention that the other attacks got updated animations too.

Not saying Rowlet is a bad choice, but choosing it for Leafage is really dumb.
>>
>>26413569
Look up how Ebola was transmitted to humans. It wasn't vampire bats.
>>
>>26413630
It still has to be spread through fluids.
>>
>>26413465
Yay. I don't know what the fuck they're doing with it, and that's really exciting. Either way, it's a win/win.

Option A: Perfect Zygarde comes to the main series games, either in SM or a third version tie-in or something. You still get Perfect Zygarde and that's cool.

Option B: It really is anime-exclusive, which means the anime is no longer just an advertisement for the games. It can finally start doing its own thing instead of just resetting Ash every region.
>>
>>26413499
>What would you rather have: a gen with the best pokemon designs but worse games or a gen with the best pokemon games but worse designs?
If you had asked about seven years ago, I would have said "good games, bad designs". It used to be about the single player aspect, beating the Elite Four and trying to complete the Pokedex. In that situation, it's better to have a good environment to spend that time in. But now that the main games are so quick and easy, having better Pokemon is more important since most of your time will be spent in battles, not walking around.
>>
>this stupid shit is still going on

Why.
>>
Is Gliscor the paragon that all annoying fucks should strive to be?
>>
>>26413752
No it doesn't.
>>
Lucario or Zoroark?
>>
>>26413956
Yes it does. You have to touch the bat's blood or saliva to actually get infected.
Granted it's not unusual for shit like that to be stuck in the fur.
>>
>>26413512
You're mixing up competitive play with design concepts.

Don't get me wrong, Amoongus is great at inflicting status. And its role as a mimic fits very well too. You think you're getting an item, but instead you're getting poisoned. It's a fantastic Poison type. But it's also designed to heal itself a lot, which is a very Grass-type trait. Having such strong Grass attributes makes it a poorer candidate for embodying Poison.

I say Crobat is a better Poison type because of how Poison is portrayed in the games. Take Koga's quote from GSC:

>Fwahahahaha! I am Koga of the Elite Four. I live in shadows, a ninja! My intricate style will confound and destroy you! Confusion, sleep, poison... Prepare to be the victim of my sinister technique! Fwahahahaha! Pokémon is not merely about brute force--you shall see soon enough!

Crobat's level-up movepool is all about making its opponent helpless. It's one of the few Pokemon that learn Poison Fang naturally, and the rest of its moves are all for confusing and making the enemy flinch while the poison does its work. It fits perfectly with what Koga, the Poison Elite Four member, says Poison types should be.
>>
>>26413591
Gen 1 best: Pikachu, iconic enough to be the face of one of the biggest franchises in the world
Gen 1 worst: Jynx, the only design that got actively changed. Although to be fair, the concept of a frostbitten ice witch was great. The only problem was the execution.

Gen 2 best: Heracross. Ever read that copypasta about why Heracross is the best Pokemon ever? That's all accurate.
Gen 2 worst: Stantler. Just a weird deer with jowels and an ass tumor.

Gen 3 best: Duskull
Gen 3 worst: Slakoth, the boneless arm curve is offensive

Gen 4 best: Torterra. The World Turtle motif is always good to see, and the mountain-spikes were tastefully achieved by merging with a spiky dinosaur.
Gen 4 worst: Drapion. It's excessively top-heavy and the accordion arms are terribly inorganic.

Gen 5 best: (O++O)
Gen 5 worst: Samefag genies all have the same design, so they share the same rank.

Gen 6 best: Tyrantrum. A Dragon T-Rex sets really high expectations, and Tyrantrum manages to hit every single one of them.
Gen 6 worst: Aromatisse. Spritzee was a little flying wisp thing shaped like a perfume bottle, but Aromatisse is a ground-bound furry thing that looks like a makeup applicator, which has nothing to do with smells. It moved too far away from its original concept.
>>
>>26413624
Anon, I've been using starters with Ember and Water Gun for six generations. Now I have the option to try something new. I want to see how Leafage changes the early game experience.
>>
>>26413878
Yes. Along with Whimsicott.
>>
>26413304
There's always one of these faggots
>>
>>26413219
who is the coolest vgc player
>>
strawberry, vanilla or chocolate ice cream? same for shakes
change vanilla for regular milk and ask the same question

lets see how shit your taste is /vp/
>>
>>26413973
Zoroark. Even though Zoroark was getting the Lucario treatment at first, it's been left alone long enough for it to be judged on its own merit. It has a neat gimmick.
>>
>>26413611
>Hilda is his pokegirl
Impeccable taste is impeccable
>>
>>26414102
Bravo
>>
>>26414608
I don't follow VGC, so I really don't know. Sejun Park was pretty cool though.
>>
Whats are your thoughts on pikachu clones every gen?
>>
File: Honoguma.png (79 KB, 290x482) Image search: [Google]
Honoguma.png
79 KB, 290x482
>>26414798
I liked the original idea of a Pikaclone of every type. Having them all be Electric type is a little more boring, but it's still a nice tradition.
>>
OP, how about trying to quote as many posts as possible in one?

also Cicero or Vergil?

>>26413389
YOU!
I like you! Feel free to keep doing what you did there
>>
>>26414102
>You're mixing up competitive play with design concepts.
Not really.
For competitive play we already agree that Amoongus is a far better representative.
For design concept Crobat is just a bat. None of its dex entries has anything to do with poison, just swift flying. Design-wise it's just a purple bat . All part of what made Zubat and Golbat Poison is left out. Like give me one reason Crobat conveys Poison better than Golbat.

Even among Koga's pokémon there are better choices, both Muk and Weezing convey the indirect and slow nature of Poison far better. Both competitively and as design concept.

Also self healing is somewhat connected to Poison, take a look at Black Sludge which is probably the item most associated with the type.
>>
Volcanrona best bug?
>>
>>26414501
It will just be Vine Whip with a new animation, possibly Special this time.
Rowlet being the first dual typed starter since Bulbasaur would have been a far better reasoning for why it would be unique experience early game.
>>
>>26414968
Not a single one of Golbat's Dex entries say anything about poisoning the opponent either, just draining blood. And Zubat's only talk about echolocation. The Dex doesn't support either of our cases here.

It's a different kind of Poison theme, I suppose. Golbat is more direct about it, its mouth is gaping open and it clearly wants to bite you. Crobat is more lethal though. It's fast, sneaky, and deadly. It's the difference between a venomous wild animal and a trained assassin. Both can poison you, but I know which one I'd be more concerned about.

I think we have fundamentally different ideas of what Poison should mean. You seem to think that it's all about dealing damage over time to the opponent while being tanky enough to last until they die. The thing is, poison is debilitating. It takes away your ability to fight back. Venomous animals poison their prey to weaken it, not to kill it outright. Crobat cripples the opponent's ability to fight back with several simultaneous status problems.

Again, I'm basing this off of what Koga said Poison types are about. Crobat fits those criteria. Weezing and Muk rely on their ability to muscle their way through heavy attacks instead of preventing those heavy attacks from happening.
>>
>>26414971
Heracross gets the gold medal, but Volcarona definitely takes silver.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 557x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 557x475
>>26414482
>Chandelure
>>
>>26415523
I can see where you're coming from. I feel like Koga explains me view perfectly here, while not contradicting what he says anywhere else either:
>Fwahahaha! A mere child like you dares to challenge me? The very idea makes me shiver with mirth! Very well, I shall show you true terror as a ninja master! Poison brings steady doom. Sleep renders foes helpless. Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!
Steady (slow) doom and creeping despair is exactly how I would describe Poison thematically.
Being tanky or just evading/restricting attacks plays no role for me, just as long as you outlive the opponent. So yeah, Crobat being sneaky and moving around fast in not a problem for me at all, but finishing off the enemy quickly is.

You have a point about just tanking Weezing, but Muk is a quite infamous Minimize user.
>>
>>26415001
This is the first time the starters have come pre-loaded with moves of their type, so the first battle won't just be a Tacklefest. They must have created Leafage specifically to balance the triangle, so I'm interested to see how it turns out.
>>
>>26415725
>This is the first time the starters have come pre-loaded with moves of their type
>What is XY/ORAS
>>
>>26415725
Literally wrong.
>>
>>26415704
Looking at Muk's levelup moves, it's more focused on boosting and lowering stats than doing status afflictions. Between Mud Slap, Minimize, and Acid Armor, it looks like it's meant to poison you and barricade itself in until you die.

It's nitpicky, but the difference is that the opponent is still free to make its moves while Crobat prevents you from doing anything at all with confusion and flinching.
>>
I hate you for being an attention-whore, so I'm saging. But I'll admit that you really do have some damn fine taste.
>>
>>26413219
How much do you hate having the storyline shoved down your throat and being spoonfed drivel from characters like N and AZ?

How much do you love places like Pokémon Mansion and Sea Mauville where you can explore them at your own pace and dig up the lore?
>>
>>26415814
>>26415840
Well I'm a humongous faggot. I completely forgot XY did it. My bad.

Still, I'm more invested in Rowlett because of them giving it a move specifically made to balance the rival battle matchup.
>>
>>26415979
>How much do you hate having the storyline shoved down your throat and being spoonfed drivel from characters like N and AZ?
I don't mind it. It gets a little boring after a few playthroughs though. It would be nice if they let you skip cutscenes, but I get the feeling that GameFreak doesn't think people start multiple new games.

>How much do you love places like Pokémon Mansion and Sea Mauville where you can explore them at your own pace and dig up the lore?
That's the fucking best. There's nothing better than exploring an area that makes you want to search every inch.
>>
File: 1458607724815.png (17 KB, 551x604) Image search: [Google]
1458607724815.png
17 KB, 551x604
>>26414482
Truely this man has impeccable taste
>>
Bump for impeccable taste
>>
Did OP died?
>>
>>26413219
No
>>
>>26418151
Still here.
>>
>>26421710
How do you feel about the stupid "SM" vs "SuMo" vs "S&M" etc debate?
>>
>>26422391
I can see where each one is coming from. SM matches the shorthand naming conventions of the other Pokemon games, SuMo is a nice portmanteau that's easier to say out loud, and S&M is more natural for some people because "the sun and moon" are commonly said together, like "Left and Right". I guarantee if they ever make Pokemon Left and Right versions you'll see people saying L&R because they're spoken together so often that your brain processes it as one unit.

That said, this is an imageboard dedicated solely to Pokemon. The Pokemon naming convention should overrule the others. SM is the most correct answer.
>>
Ok, there go a hard question: best and worst starter each gen
>>
ITG, are you still here?
>>
>>26422992
Based on what criteria? Design, in-game use, first stage, final stage, competitive, what are we looking at here?
>>
>>26423377
Best overall
>>
>>26423387
Well shit. That one's nearly impossible. It all comes down to which spin you put on it. I think I can make the strongest case for Charizard though.

>Charmander was the original "hard mode", even Oak said it was a handful to raise. Hard mode is objectively the best mode.
>Red version prevailed over Green for international release
>Currently competitively viable
>Stayed popular even when it was considered a shitmon
>Fire types are generally harder to find, making Charmander more likely to stay on your team the whole game
>Can learn Fly for ingame convenience

A lot of these arguments come down to marketability and popularity, but those are vital aspects for a starter and they should not be ignored.
>>
Which of the following pokemon is overall better when taking everything into account, such as Abilities, design, competitive viability, stat distribution, bro/sis potential, etc:

Arcanine or Ninetales
>>
>>26427214
Ninetales. You've got the good old fashioned nine tailed fox mythology going on, which gives it some cool moves to work with. It gets Drought, which is fucking great no matter how you slice it. Arcanine's stats are more workable, but Drought gives Ninetales too much of an edge for that to matter much.

Arcanine has more brotential though. You can't beat a giant loyal fire dog for a pal.
>>
>>26427326

You have exquisite taste.
>>
saved from page 9
>>
Should I play x and y? I hear they have bad camera angles.
>>
>>26430506
They are good.
>>
Which Gym Leader has the best "Gym gimmick"? Like teleporting tiles and invisible walls.
>>
What's the best type
and why is it electric
>>
>>26413219
Tell me what you have to say about mawile op
Bequeath me with your impeccable taste
>>
if they decide to make a spinoff of the anime, or just a mini-series of the like, which pokemon would make good shouldermons to "replace" pikachu?

i always thought that mime jr could be perfect for example, but propose a couple if you can't find one that feels perfect
>>
What did you find most interesting about the S/M starter reveal trailers?

Nice to see you again man.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.