[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Sun/Moon might have even more surfing and water than R/S/E
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 1365130370254s.jpg (7 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1365130370254s.jpg
7 KB, 250x242
>Sun/Moon might have even more surfing and water than R/S/E
>>
>repel and sharpedo exists
crazy
>>
>>26406352
I can live with that as long as:
A: They have plenty of good special attacking water types to choose from to use surf without a slave
B: This one is practically free, but access to at least super repels
C: a rather fast movement speed when surfing
>>
After replaying 3rd gen I found there was a lot less surfing than I remembered actually. Plus, the surf speed was fast to begin with.
>>
>>26406362

>ouch, ooh, ahh, will you please stop stabbing me with that butcher knife
>stop whining, bandaids exist!
>>
Most likely there'll be ferries everywhere.

Personally I wouldn't give a shit as long as we have repels and surf speed that isn't DP. ORAS Sharpedo speeds will probably return anyways.
>>
>>26406376
yeah thats same thing you're right
>>
File: 250px-319Sharpedo.png (38 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
250px-319Sharpedo.png
38 KB, 250x250
senpai please we have a fix for that...unless gamefreak removes it...
>>
>HM's are TM's now
>HM's can be forgotten when trying to learn new moves
>A pokemon forgets HM but remembers it through a previous teaching, and can be still be used outside of battle.

> and just for the pattern of inconvenience, a surfing pokemon cant surf until it is taught first
>>
HMs in general is the most outdated and pointless thing in this game imo, why do I have to teach my fish pokemon to swim its ridiculous. Pokemon w/ the capacity of doing so should just be able to do it, for the sake of inconvenience just dont unlock the skill until whatever gym and lets get this over with
>>
>>26406352
What's actually wrong with surfing?
>>
>>26407317
Waste of an HM slot, Surf isn't really that great of a move anymore since Scald etc
>>
>>26406362
And miss out on the possibility of finally seeing a legit non-event shiny after 18 years? Fuck that.
>>
>>26407331
>Caring about the small burn chance when you O-2HKO most things in-game anyway
>>
>>26407317
Boring, too many random encounters, repetitive, and linear. It's like if everything on land was grass and with the same pokemon everywhere. I think surfing can be done well but it just hasn't yet. The only reason most people surf is because there is no alternative. If it was optional I think more people would enjoy it or at least stop complaining about it.
>>
>>26407368
The only way to make water segments enjoyable in a game is to make it so you have greater or more varied mobility in water than you do on land
>>
In all honestly I just wish they'd remove the animation when you activate it, or any HM for that matter
>>
>>26407397
They should do what they did with Megas where it doesn't play the full animation after the first time per boot.
>>
>>26407405
Yeah exactly. If its absolutely necessary to have an animation show it on the first time.

>yfw you accidentaly move back on land right when you jump on the poke and have to watch it again
>>
>>26407368
>Boring, too many random encounters, repetitive, and linear
3/4 of those words pretty much come down to the same thing, dont they. Repetitive and linear is about the same as boring. Its still more interesting than just walking around like you do in all other games.

And I dont mind random encounters because if you just fight them all, you never have to grind.

If you run from every encounter and just try to get it all over with as quickly as possible, it sounds to me like you just dont enjoy this game.
>>
>>26407438
Not the other guy, but run form encounters to me happens more on replays. But sometimes you just want to get to places, particularly if its a place with very low level pokemon compared to yours and i'm just trying to get that TM on the other side of the thing
>>
>>26407331
lmao, who uses scald over surf during the initial playthrough
>>
>>26407463
I dont understand how what I said isnt still beneficial on later playthroughs. If its really that bad for you, just use Repels.
>>
>>26406352
Literally all they need to do is not have all mons you encounter while surfing be water type. Frankly, it's retarded that everything that lives in the water or even near it has to be water type, and this has no doubt contributed to the sheer number of water types that exist.

There's other easy shit you can do to make it more engaging and varied. Add a variety of things to the route so its not just swimming from trainer to trainer, moving around rocks. Currents are fine, but there needs to be more. Add some sand bars. Add some sunken ships, or even anchored ships, to explore or just stop on for a bit. Make sure the trainers follow the first point: don't be all water, all the time.

They could rework the surf mechanics so that when you hit a water tile while walking, you stop like normal, but when you press forward in the same direction again you immediately begin surfing if you can. That would make starting and stopping more fluid, while still allowing you to fish without having to delicately stop right at the edge to avoid automatically surfing (though I suppose it wouldn't really matter too much, if starting and stopping Surfing overall is quicker).

You can even do what they did with the desert Routes: have only certain, differently colored water tiles actually have random encounters. Makes it more like the walking Routes and cuts down on constant encounters.

Shit like this is only necessary if there's actually going to be a plethora of long ass water routes. There's no particular reason for there to be. You can have a boat service between all the Islands until you get Surf (and even afterwards once you unlock all the harbors). The routes themselves don't need to be long either.

There's a number of different ways they could do Alola that doesn't make water routes tedious as fuck. Will they, though, is the more pressing question. Answer is probably: lol I don't know
>>
File: 1420246423006.jpg (914 KB, 1600x1038) Image search: [Google]
1420246423006.jpg
914 KB, 1600x1038
>>26406352
>More dive spots
>real time models means more trainer classes underwater

Not seeing a downside, family.
>>
>>26407390
I think more varied mobility and increased diversity of pokemon (finding some only in rivers/coral reef/deep sea/etc) would help surfing become a lot more enjoyable, and maybe add a good item pool to fishing in most areas
>>
>>26406352
Looking at the first island they revealed, the region boundaries around the island are actually very narrow. The inter-island distances will probably be bypassed by boats/ferries just like Sevii Islands in FRLG.
>>
File: 1348286170633.jpg (234 KB, 1267x1013) Image search: [Google]
1348286170633.jpg
234 KB, 1267x1013
>>26406352
>mrw
>>
>>26406352
>i want even more shitty grass routes, forests and caves, like we didn't get enough of these in 20 years
Kill yourself you whiny shitter
>>
The water routes themselves weren't that terrible. It's the godawful distribution that made them suck.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.