[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's be honest here. Is 4th gen really worse than this one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 23
File: scgh9e.jpg (100 KB, 700x320) Image search: [Google]
scgh9e.jpg
100 KB, 700x320
Let's be honest here. Is 4th gen really worse than this one?
>>
>>26392094

Yes.
>>
>>26392094
4th gen is my personal favorite.
>>
>>26392094
>>26392168
No.
>>
wurst gen is first gen
>>
>>26392094
>disliking a generation with HGSS and Platinum anywhere in them

That said, 6th generation did have lots of fans, but fell short in terms of delivering promises.
>>
>>26392094
>>26392168
>>26392184
Maybe?
>>
>>26392094
HG/SS and Platinum are the overall best pokemon games so no.
gen 4>gen 5>gen 3>gen 2>gen 6>gen 1
>>
>>26392212
The only thing I liked about gen4 was the special-physical split.
>>
I don't know.
>>
>>26392094
Yup
>>
It is hard to say which is the worst as they all introduce SOMETHING that fans like and nothing that people really 'hate'

Gen I made Pokemon, It is the worst because of the flaws of the time and the few broken mechanics
Gen II is one of the best, if not THE best for having 16 gyms in 2 regions, Introducing and fixing the issues of Gen 1, Added 2 more types, Introducing Shinies, time mechanics and breeding.

Gen III gave us abilities, contests, Double Battles, and Berry farming. Also gave us Waifu pokemon

Gen IV made stuff that stayed within itself, such as underground and the watch. Introducing only Varied pokemon looks depending on area or gender. Ruined contests. Not bad and fun, But it added nothing. Killed the Casio's in Pokemon (HG/SS with pokemon following you to be remembered and acknowledged for being awesome with best safari park to date.)

Gen V removed contests from my knowledge, gave us hidden abilities, added triple and rotation battles, and that is all I remember

Gen VI gave us Mega Evolution (Mixed liked and hated), Pokemon Amie (Doubt that will follow over), and had the other features it was to introduce swept under the rug.

Story is up to anyone, Worst story has to be Gen VI for me.

But I find it hard to say 'Which is the worst pokemon' since no one would agree with me on the Freemium titles or Pokemon Dash
>>
>>26392259
This is the best order I've seen the games put in on this board. To be honest, Gen VI would be THE worst if Gen 1 wasn't so broken.
>>
>>26392094
Fourth gen wasn't even bad. Outside of the stupid slo-mo, it was overall on the better gens all around, with very few negatives to it.

Gen VI was a trainwreck beyond belief and, contrary to Gen IV, it had little-to-no notable aspects. Megas are eh depending on your competitive stance, and Fairy-type was amazing on paper, but poorly executed with most fairies having similar base stats distributions.
>>
>>26392388

Gen 5 started simplifying breeding and lowering the masuda method for shinies.
>>
Can you repeat the question?
>>
>>26392262
Then you have shit taste.
>>
>>26392094
Holy shit, kill yourself.

When will /vp/ stop the triggering and realize There are no bad pokemon gens
>>
File: 1346459106713.png (64 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
1346459106713.png
64 KB, 1000x800
>>26392094
I loved ORAS but X and Y were very bland, with the exception of trainer customization.
I don't really like the art and look of Sun and Moon, though.
>>
>>26392612
This
Sadly /vp/ is filled with underaged spergs who nitpick shit just to make themselves feel superior.
>>
>>26392094
No.
>>
File: 1460412270129.jpg (120 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460412270129.jpg
120 KB, 1920x1080
>>26392633
>Sadly /vp/ is filled with underaged spergs
>mfw I played Red back when it came out.
>>
>>26392612
Generation I and II are objectively shitty because their remakes are genuinely superior unless you're a glitch hunter. If you're not a nostalgiafag or a glitch hunter, there is literally NO reason to go back to those generations and play them again

But yeah, in terms of historical value and how good each region is, they're all pretty fucking dank
>>
>>26392669
Hey, me too. Wonder why you're the one who ended up with shit taste?
>>
>>26392094
I like both. Though by gen 6 I only really mean XY, ORAS sucked a big one.
>>
>>26392094
Yes.

>>26392212
>disliking a generation with HGSS

Ah, so fourth gen is good because it had remakes from a better generation. Platinum was good, but the first two games were shit, it's got the worst possible generation of pokemon ever with most of them being unnecessary evolutions or pre-evolutions of older generations, and all of them being ugly as hell. Add to that a grab bag of pointless evolutionary items that work for one pokemon only, and two evolutionary stones we didn't need, that have never been used for any new pokemon since, and most likely never will.

Gen six added seventy pokemon, NONE of them are related to older pokemon. How many does Gen 4 add if we remove all those evos and pre-evos by the way?
>>
>>26392689

why does ORAS suck?
>>
>>26392094
No, HG/SS and Pt were great games.
D/P are the ones that suck.
>>
>>26392718
This so fucking much. Still idiots ignore the better games and judge Gen IV based on D/P only.
>>
>>26392705
>How many does Gen 4 add if we remove all those evos and pre-evos by the way?

Seventy eight. Seventy two if we remove the mythicals.

What a shitshow.
>>
I kept holding out hope that they would either release the third version for either game, or release free expansion DLC, but neither happened. At this point, I'd say yes. 6th gen is worse than 4th gen.
>>
>>26392705
>Gen six added seventy pokemon, NONE of them are related to older pokemon. How many does Gen 4 add if we remove all those evos and pre-evos by the way?
Not that guy but since you asked, Gen 4 added 81 Pokemon that weren't related to previous Pokemon. Didn't read the thread, dunno if that helps your argument or hinders it
>>
>>26392747
>>26392761

lmao
>>
>>26392715
Not that anon, but:
>literally no endgame
>broken with exp. share
>horribly grindy without exp. share
>Hey newfag, enjoy a free Mega Lati after the fifth gym for no goddamn reason
>gg horns
>>
>>26392094
>4th gen
>worst
Yeah nah, 6th was pretty shitty ORAS wasn't that bad though
>>
>>26392747
>>26392761
>inb4 "but the sinnoh pokemon looked shitty anyway" damage control
>>
>>26392225
I don't know... Could you repeat the question?
>>
>>26392705
>NONE of them are related to older pokemon
Sylveon
>>
>>26392094
>>26392094

The only bad mainseries game is ORAS.

D/P might be slow as fuck, but it also had the best metagame while gen 6 has the 2nd worst metagame.
>>
>>26392168
FPBP
>>
>>26392094
>tfw bought Alpha Sapphire on eshoppe
>>
>>26392715
Added a lot of things I didn't ask for and taken all of the things I liked about the originals. Not a very pleasant experience.
>>
>>26392747
Gen 2 only had 81 Pokemon if you remove cross gen evos
>>
>>26392705
>gen4 Pokémon are ugly
Stop this meme!
>>
2 shit games, 2 mediocre games and 1 great game.

vs

2 shit games and 2 mediocre games.

You do the math.
>>
>>26392747
>>26393215
>gen 8 adds 120 Pokemon
>but 60 of them all crossgens/Megas/new gimmick evolution mechanic
How would /vp/ react?
>>
>>26392094
We won't really be able to compare them until SM come out.
>>
>>26393228
>HGSS
>mediocre
kys
>>
>>26392212
Seriously, only DP weren't good, the other games were some of the best in the series.
>>
>>26393232
Bitch a lot but still buy the games anyways.
>>
>>26393238
Oh no, HGSS are the 2 shit games.
>>
>>26393238
nostalgiafaggots opinions need not apply
>>
It's actually more enjoyable than XY.
>>
>>26393238
They're average at best.

>b-but muh following pokemon!
>>
File: literallyashovel.png (304 KB, 1014x874) Image search: [Google]
literallyashovel.png
304 KB, 1014x874
>>26392094
Hai, so desu.

While HG/SS are objectively the most well crafted pair of games made by Gamefreak, Diamond and Pearl were the absolute worst of all. Platinum did scores to try to fix that but it wasn't enough, you can't erase the loads of baby pokemon and cross gen evolutions meant to fill the dex. Not to mention the overall lackluster designs of the original pokemon of the gen.

X/Y breathed new life into Pokemon with a lot of solid designs, mega evolution, amie, and trainer customization. There was no post game, which was shite. ORAS was beautifully executed with some nice extras in the form of flying on Lati@s, mirage islands, and more megas. But it did miss key features that Emerald had introduced such as the Battle Frontier.

All in all, if the 4th gen was +0 to GF's track record than ORAS was +1 but just barely.
>>
Gen 6 consistantly has the best Pokemon designs in 9 years. The only problem being that there so few of them but to me, its a shining example of quality over quantity.

Kalos is once again a fun and cheerful Region, a massive improvement over the dreary mess that were Sinnoh and Unova.

And then shit is where I would talk about the great post-game, if I had any.
>>
File: The Superyacht report.jpg (5 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
The Superyacht report.jpg
5 KB, 276x183
Removing all subjective notions about Gen 4 aside, the only real downfall is the slow systems it has. The story had quite a build-up that pays off both with Cyrus and Cynthia; The Art style piggybacks off of Gen III's, so objectively they should be considered very similarly. Let's also not forget GTS and WFC.

Really, they weren't bad. They were a much-needed middle chapter in the second act of the series.

Objectively, Red and Green are still the worst. Yet this is only due to time and comparisons. For what it's worth, D/P brought to us what R/S couldn't have at the time but continued most of what it did right. Gen V did the same thing.

Now we have Gen VI taking twenty steps forward and five hundred back. Really, is Gen IV so bad when you have a non-story in a game that both young and old alike are meant to devote hundreds of hours to playing and following? Systems aside, Gen VI is utterly dreadful in design and production. Most issues have already been glossed over before (washed-out designs, lazy art style, mirrored world map, bashful presentation, no post-game, easy enemies, etc).

Though /vp/ is inherently contrarian (as is /v/), so arguing a weekly butthurt (____ is better than ____!) thread isn't worth anyone's time. Fucking kill me.
>>
>>26392168
Yes.
>>
>>26393404
>>26393402

You're fucking high
>>
>>26393402
>You can't erase the loads of baby pokemon and cross gen evolutions meant to fill the dex
I'd take those over Megas any day.
>>
>>26393402

>Trying to fill the dex

It's as though you ignore all of the pointless megas introduced in Gen VI just to cap off old lines that could've benefited from a final evo
>>
Gen 4 gave us the greatest generation of Pokemon games, it alone fixed the franchise when R/S was set to kill it

Gen 6 gave us a solid duo in X & Y and then gave us the worst games in the entire mainline pokemon franchise, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire.

How is that even a contest?
>>
>>26393416
>Removing all subjective notions about Gen 4 aside, the only real downfall is the slow systems it has
Fucking this, for the last year or so I thought my laptop couldn't handle DS emulation well (it's not exactly high-end) because of how slow it was when I tried running SoulSilver.

Today, I downloaded Sonic Rush and Mario 64 DS, as I figured I could somehow tweak the settings of the emulator to get a SOMEWHAT decent emulation speed. Turns out it was running at 100% speed, full FPS the entire time - 4th gen Pokemon was literally just that slow that I thought otherwise
>>
>>26393445
No u.
>>
>>26393474
>How is that even a contest?
Contest of what. You've said absolutely nothing about what makes Gen 4 good and Gen 6 bad.
>>
When did hating on HGSS became a meme?
Both are highly regarded as two of the best games of the franchise by a lot of pokemon fans.
>>
>>26393518
This. You don't have to be a nostalgiafag to see how tremendously amazing HGSS was
>>
>>26393518
Because modern 4chan always has to play the contrarian.

Common agreement is that HG/SS and Pt are some of if not the greatest games in the franchise while ORAS is reviled, so naturally /vp/ has be the guy to go 'NUH UH, ORAS WAS BETTER'.
>>
>>26393518
Contrarians.
>>
>>26393528
>>26393542
>>26393542
>>26393554
I dont think remakes count towards how good a generation is. Its the mainline games that bring the new region, mons designes, and everything else that defines that Gen.
>>
>>26393573
I agree that D/P had a lot of flaws, but Platinum managed to fix most of these.

X/Y on the other hand also had it own share of faults, but this time couldn't be fixed because GF didn't bothered with a third version or a sequel like the gen 5 games.
>>
>>26393638
My problems with D/P are that the Pokemon designs in general are a step down from Hoenn and the generations before. I also think the Sinnoh region is pretty dreary and boring.

Platinum is a more fun game but it ultimately cant do much to fix what I think are the generation's inherent flaws.
>>
XY > DP
Pt > XY

Remembering how much Platinum redeemed Sinnoh, it is quite a shame Gen 6 was cut short.
>>
>>26392388
You forget to mention Gen 4's introduction of the physical/special split.
>>
I love this new "contrarian" meme

But I agree though that gen 4 and 5 are the best and gen 6 is a disappointment
>>
Gen 4 had 3 good games

Gen 6 had no good games

You decide
>>
>>26392388
Why do people always forget that Gen III also fixed the fucking garbage ass PC system that Gen I and II had and turned it into something bearable that has stayed with Pokemon since?
>>
>>26393827
>This new "contrarian" meme
It sounds like the thing that is new here is you, my friend

4chan has been full of contrarians since forever
>>
>>26393857
Man, this is the easiest way to tell that someone is new.
>>
>main games
XY>DP
Pl>

>remakes
HGSS>ORAS
>>
>>26393883
Good rebuttal :^)
>>
>>26392608
I dunno, man. Plat improved D/P's shit starting, and I like HG/SS because it's just a patched best region, but gen4 has the worst starters.
>>
>>26393850
>Move Pokemon still hasn't replaced Withdraw and Deposit

Yeah no, it's shit.
>>
>>26392094
>ORAS
SURF SURF SURF, sometimes rock smash

>DPPt
Oh no you need surf, oh no you need rock smash

OH NO
you need
ROCK CLIMB
>>
>>26393931
>Organize Boxes is at the top in ORAS
It's fine. If it were there by default it would be better.
>>
>>26392094
Yes.
>>
>>26392094
Very much so.
>>
>>26393931
Be grateful that move pokemon is even an option
>>
>>26393938
>Oh no you need surf, oh no you need rock smash
>OH NO
>you need
>ROCK CLIMB
Correction

>Oh no you need surf
>Oh no you need rock smash
>Oh no you need Rock Climb
>Oh no you need defog
etc.
You needed two HM slaves to get around region quickly.
IT was a cluster fuck.
>>
Not even.
>ORAS
Surf, Rock Smash, Strength, Waterfall and Flash.

>DPPt
Cut, Rock Smash, Strength, Surf, Waterfall, Flash, Rock Climb, and Defog for two areas unless you like missing 24/7 in battle.
>>
4th gen was the best gen
>>
>>26393938
And you dont NEED defog but enjoy wandering around or looking up maps online
>>
>>26392094
Nope
Gen 5 is though
>>
Discounting HGSS, gen 4 was total trash
>>
>>26395288
Nah, Platinum is the peak of the series and DP are fine if you don't have ADHD.
>>
>>26395330
DP were terrible. Terrible pokemon distribution and the worst pokedex in general, which lead into into terrible teams for gym leaders, E4, Cyrus, etc.

The incredible slowness just exacerbate it.
>>
>>26395373
Cool copy and pasted opinions, bro.
>>
>>26392705
Dawn and Shiny Stone have been used in Gen V though.

And with that, all of your points have been BTFO
>>
>>26392259
I'd switch 2 and 3 but honestly, I can jive with this

>>26392612
But there are worst ones

>>26393332
>>26393344
Ebin
>>
>>26395410
Nice deflection sinnohfetus.
>>
>>26393404
You're fine talking about Pokemon quality, that's subjective.

But Kalos better than Unova? Fun and cheerful? Nope.

Kalos is close to Sinnoh because Sinnoh is slow and tedious and fucking Coronet and fog and neon green grass, but Kalos has the single worst overworld location in Pokemon history with the Badlands.
>>
>>26393573
But ORAS is included in Gen 6 quality and I think it needs to be. XY is only 1 game, and ORAS has a lot of Gen 6 philosophy in style over substance
>>
>>26395689
Badlands weren't as bad as Coronet. Coronet was awful and keeps me from replaying them. I just remember that gaping asshole in the center of the map and think hell no.

What makes the Badlands so awful is all those fucking cockteases with the other plants. I don't know what they could have done with them, but anything would have been better than nothing.

They showed us the bare minimum they could do for an area with the Chamber of Emptiness, one room with a shitty mega stone, and even that was less a slap in the face than a bunch of locked doors.
>>
>>26392094
>XY are shit
>ORAS didn't beat out emerald as the hoenn game to play

incredibly low tier gen
>>
>>26395720
>constant wins slowing you down
>skates needs to be on because the rails
>rails built in the badlands
>burrowing Pokemon that run at 100000 miles per hour towards you and are hard to dodge because the skates
>most of the Pokemon will fucking have Arena Trap
>the wind will occasionally make going across the rails literally impossible because you can't go fast enough
>big, empty and pointless
>the cocktease of the badass plant we will now never enter but was put in the trailer to make us hyped

Nope. Someone took a big red shit right above Lumiose then asked us to go through it.

Actually laughed out loud at the gaping asshole thing. Coronet is definitely second worst. Fuck there too.
>>
d/p story was so memorable I can't even remember a thing about it.
it added so many legendaries, the hunt would have been fun if you were not forced to sacrifice eight slots for things as useful as flash or defog in order to find them.
navigating through the map was a pain, I can't remember going back to the north part of the map but I can remember why : the snow. aka "why not slow down the character even more ?"
and, worst of all : the type spread. two fuckin fire types, really ?

hg/ss did not fixed the real issues from gen 2 like the lack of diversity in the wild pokemons, the levels ridiculously low and the void story (and map) wise once you crossed to kanto.

so, maybe platinum tried to fix the ginger E4 guy but the problem is a bit deeper than that.

with these, I will say "Yes, gen 4 is the worst gen I ever played." but, you know, it's subjective because I fuckin loved the additions to gen6 like character customization, soaring, rollerskating, tiptoeing, pokemon riding (no more than that or it might be really boring), the dex thingie... heck, even amie was fun and fresh.
>>
File: Kalos_Route_13_XY[1].png (1 MB, 1039x686) Image search: [Google]
Kalos_Route_13_XY[1].png
1 MB, 1039x686
>>26395720
>>26395773
Coronet is fine. It's not badly designed at all, people just don't like it. Badlands was pure garbage and not even finished. Look at this shit. It's like some beta testing area they left in.
>>
>>26392094

Alone for the fact that this gen FINALLY moved away from sprites it's better than all the previous rehash gens
>>
>>26392930
YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW
>>
>>26395410
So because a lot of people have the same issues with the game its copypasted

got it
>>
>>26395858
That's why I hate Badlands more. Coronet is not badly designed, but defog, being in the center of the region meaning you have to cross it a lot, and inconvinences like the rock smash rocks in the path early on make it annoying. Its also confusing, but I can't fault it too hard because Mt Mortar is a literal maze. Like, Fuck.

But Badlands is poorly designed in every conceivable way.

>>26395983
>rehash gens
What does that even mean? Plus, sprites is an art style, not a limitation. Models aren't objectively better. I like that the overwoeld became models but its neither here nor there to me that the battles are 3D now. Though now the frame rate is less consistent, the animations are more boring and the battles take longer.
>>
>>26392094
4th gen had Platinum and HGSS, two of the games in the holy trinity that is Plat/HGSS/BW2.
Tell me 4th gen is bad. Go ahead, make a fool of yourself.
>>
5>1≥2>4>3≫6

I put 5 at the top because I feel like it had a much better story compared to anything before hand. It's not a perfect game though, I hate all the starters and Team Plasma being all about liberating Pokemon was shit, but I liked how the gym leaders actually felt like they were more important than just another badge. I liked a lot of the Pokemon. And instead of just a remake we got a games that took place after BW. I hope to see that again in the future.

Gen 1 is second. Unfortunately, this is nostalgia talking and it's hard for me to judge it fairly.

Third is gen 2. Same reasoning as gen 1.

Next is 4. Even though DP was shit, Plat and HGSS made up for it.

3 is second to last because RSE were meh, and so were FRLG. If FRLG had a better post game I'd probably rank it higher.

6 is last purely because of XY, I personally greatly enjoyed ORAS. I have still not even beat my X version (don't own Y either)
>>
>>26392094
DP are the worst games in the franchise

These 2 pairs are close behind with the rest of gen 4 in 2/3rd place of the whole series
>>
>>26396927
RS were worse.
It goes like this between 3rd and 4th gen.
Plat>E>DP>RS
>>
>>26393238(you)
>>
>>26393938
Don't forget dive anon
>>
>>26396927
I think RS are the 4th worst games, they still had a feeling of adventure to them
>>
>>26397034
Wrong post>>26396952
>>
5 is my personal favorite since it hit me in the feels with no returning pokemon, so it reminded me a lot of playing gen 1. I enjoy going back and creating new teams of guys.
>>
>>26393360
This. Recently re-played and quit after the elite four because I tried to level up my pokemon as a team rather than 'muh lvl 100 pidgeot'. Severely underleveled and a fucking pain to grind.
>>
>>26396958
Regardless of what we think, HGSS are generally loved. Someone saying the opposite would be a more likely candidate for (You) fishing
>>
>>26397152
I accidentally you'd the wrong post anon sorry
>>
>>26397152
hgss got huge flaws inherited from the base games and did nothing to correct it.
the only reason so much people like this is nostalgia, nothing more.
>>
>>26392094
4th gen had HG/SS and Platinum which I consider to be two of the best. 6 has XY which are maybe mediocre and ORAS failing expectations and being nothing but disappointment.
>>
>>26392094
Yes. Platinum is overrated and HGSS didn't fix a lot of the problems it could have. XY had a really good first half at least and it wasn't so damn SLOW.
>>
>>26397236
Nah it corrected the postgame level curve anon, wild Pokemon are still shit
>>
>>26397280
but, with such poor level curve before elite 4 and such poor diversity, who will even arrive to post game ?
>>
I personally dropped ss when black came out and could never be bored enough to take it back. even more now I finished X and OR. it's too ugly, too slow and too empty.
>>
File: Pokemon tier list.jpg (434 KB, 1433x1547) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon tier list.jpg
434 KB, 1433x1547
>>26392094
Hell no, Gen IV had Platinum and HGSS to redeem it. Gen VI on the other hand started and ended like complete shit throughout. Hopefully I'll be able to say "this is what X and Y should have been" when Sun and Moon come out.
>>
>>26397448
how could pt "redeem" d/p ? the map is still utter shit, asking you to bring around 8 hm to visit it, the type distribution is still poorly thought even though they added magmortar, it's still 3 fire types.
and finally, no amount of rework can redeem how shitty the story was.
>>
>>26397236
The first point might be true, but it's pretty fucking stupid to think "the only reason for the opinion that isnt mine must be they're delusional"

My only real problem with the recent group of people who hate HGSS is they cant accept people just like it. I dont care if people dislike it but then acting like loving HGSS is a "controversial opinion" is ridiculous
>>
>>26397448
I generally agree with this, but there's no way DP are on the same level as GSC or RS.

>>26397565
Platinum redeems it by adding the frontier, more pokemon but specifically more fire types, and generally making the map better through several small asthetic changes. But Sinnoh as a region is indeed still massively tedious. Loved the story though.
>>
>>26397591
I might give it another chance one day, my last pt playthrough stopped shortly after the first badge when I realised nothing meaningfull had changed. It will wait until I am bored enough to finish ss though.
>>
>>26392094
No. Gen 4 introduced the Physical/Special split, which is great by itself.

Diamond and Pearl are definitely the worst games in the franchise, though.
>>
>>26392094
platinum is the best game in the series.
heartgold and soulsilver are the best remakes.
It is the best generation. Not even diamond and pearl being shit hurts it
>>
>>26397703
that's some quality arguments you have there. have youeven read the thread ?
>>
>>26392094
The only way to make Gen 4 good is to include HGSS. Which says something about the gen if the only good game is a remake.
>>
>>26392094
>Is a steak really worse than this marshmallow?
>>
>>26397448
I'd say Crystal is high tier, but probably I'm biased.
RGBY should be it's own tier. It is wrong to call them bad, they is just too outdated. Something like nostalgiafags/glitchfest tier.
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 720x421) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 720x421
Daily reminder that it's starting again.
>>
>>26397762
See, this is a huge problem with arguing about the quality of Pokemon "Gens". Not only do you have the typical problems of opinions being subjective, but some people can't even agree on what games are included in a given Gen.

The correct answer is obviously that remakes are included in the Generation they were released during (so FRLG are Gen 3, etc) but some retards don't acknowledge that and bring their opinions to the table anyway. And then there's folks who think you're talking exclusively about Pokemon designs, and the whole argument just becomes muddled and lost.
>>
>>26392094
Doesn't matter. 5th Gen = worst Gen
>>
>>26397780
How will the people who think this is true feel in 2 years when XY and ORAS are still considered bad and everything from Pt to BW2 is still considered great?

The Zelda Cycle is very specific to the Zelda fanbase, and games.
>>
>>26392094
No, 4th is tied, and both are light years ahead of BW1
GF was lucky BW2 was much less shit
>>
Yes, because it lacked mechanical improvements that refined the core Pokemon gameplay XYORAS had, such as stat fixes, ability and move updates, new hold items, Mega evolution, and new Pokemon on top of all the ones we had in previous games
>>
>>26397817
There's another problem when you consider that every gen doesn't have a remake and makes comparisons somewhat unfair.
>>
>>26397856
>lacked changes like ability and move updates
>Gen 4 is the one that added secondary abilities
>It's the one that added plenty of moves to accommodate every type having physical and special moves now
>added Bug Buzz, Bug Bite and X-Scissor and salvaged 90% of the type
>Gen 4 also added new pokemon on top of the old ones
>also added new hold items

I really dont know what this post even is
>>
>>26397891
And that's why Gen 4 was better than all the gens before it, but Gen 6 has all of that and more.
>>
>>26397780
But anon, Gen 6 was reviled even during its tenure as "newest gen". Pre-Bank XY was a fun time to be on /vp/, but even then people shat on Team Flare, Tower of Lucario, etc. BW2 was still widely beloved at this point, and still is. even though I personally don't like it much

The only formula would be something akin to this:
>Gen(s) Anon discovers Pokemon = good
>Gen(s) when Pokemon isn't socially cool anymore = bad
>Gen(s) when Anon rediscovers Pokemon = great
I think an anon's opinions only count like one gen after going through this cycle. (and playing all the games)
>>
>>26397566
There's a big difference between liking it and "ITS BEST POKEMON GAME EVER" despite its not. Each game has faults and strong points. People will argue till the end of time which game trumps the rest.
>>
>>26398008
Yeah, but "its the best ever" "no it's not" is meaningless. Again, it's fine if you think it's not but it gets dumb when people act like it's contrarian to love these games a whole lot.
>>
>>26392094
reminder that Breeding, Trading and Battling online was never and will never be as good as pre-pokemon bank X and Y.

I just wish they would start a new system and make everything until now obsolete, just like they did with gen 3.
>>
>>26392094
YES.
>>
>>26398047
you mean because now people can use pokemons they like ? I remember the first pokemon I banked : milotic because those idiots at GF thought we would not need it.
>>
>>26398047
XY really made legit team building so much easier, and ORAS improved even further with DexNav. Honestly I feel like the improvements were huge and are mightily underrated. Even things like guaranteeing legends having 3 perfect IVs is so helpful and I can't wait to see how they improve further.
>>
>>26398086
it would be ok if people were not hacking pokemon since gen 3
>>
>>26398090
exactly, but hackmons just make all that obsolete so idiots forget those improvements
>>
File: 1463208520563.jpg (16 KB, 379x437) Image search: [Google]
1463208520563.jpg
16 KB, 379x437
>>26395216
Every time. Not a single thread goes by without at least one anti-gen-5 contrarian faggot.
>>
>>26398043
I agree. I find it hard to really hate on a Pokemon game (except for shit like Dash or Hey You, Pikachu), and only really dislike playing it if the third version adds so much more. So while I dislike replaying D/P, Platinum feels very fresh. People who use contrarian are just people who want to discredit your opinion, or trolling about.

My favorite game so far is ORAS because I wanted shit like DexNav, Amie, and Soaring since I was a kid, but HGSS is right up there. Colosseum would probably win if it counted, and we were not including remakes.
>>
>>26398127
I always kind of thought it was mostly because most people on /vp/ weren't interested in multiplayer, based on complaints about lack of post game when the majority of post game in Pokemon games is intended to be battling. I never found myself with nothing to do after XY because of how much easier it made breeding, so I could really crack down on do it without the odds overwhelming so much. The only big issue I still have is hidden powers are still to my knowledge extremely difficult to engineer in game.
>>
>>26398163
gen 5 is the most bland, worthless boring shit that ever happened to pokemon games. You could remove it completely, jump from gen 4 to 6, and everything would be the same
>>
>>26398109
>>26398127
you are cute, there will always be hacking, as long as the game will be based on stupid rng things or special pokemon teasing. you can't expect people playing bike simulator for ages when you can get better faster.

hacking takes time to be mastered too btw
>>
>>26393926
>muh argument
Exhibit 2 in newfaggotry
>>
>>26398205
dunno what to say to that except kys
>>
>>26392094
No, you're right, it's not. After all Gen 4 had HG/SS and Platinum's improvements were great even though it still didn't save the god-awful region and Pokemon designs.

Gen 4 IS the second-worst though.
>>
File: 3r.png (613 KB, 1178x800) Image search: [Google]
3r.png
613 KB, 1178x800
Gen 6 was a mistake. No wonder why they killed it so fast
>>
>>26398197
I dislike ORAS but I really think it's only just right below Emerald, so still pretty high in the tiers. I think the disappointment is making people find these games worse than they actually are.

I also think that the hate for ORAS is making people hate HGSS now because the praise it gets compared to ORAS.
>>
>>26398275
Couldn't agree more with that picture.
>>
File: 1419020629690.jpg (64 KB, 720x535) Image search: [Google]
1419020629690.jpg
64 KB, 720x535
>>26398275
>No emerald
>Shitty level scaling : the game is considered good

Love this meme
>>
>>26398275
Notice how none of those games are starting-pairs.

Wonder why.
>>
>>26398275
>Platinum
>no Emerald
>>
File: simply.png (398 KB, 851x476) Image search: [Google]
simply.png
398 KB, 851x476
>>26398354
>HGSS is bad

Love this meme
>>
>>26398275
can someone explain me rationally why you hold gen 4 that high ?

until now, all I saw was people exposing arguments against gen4 and people saying "your taste is shit" which unsettle me because if your argument is better than "it's the first game I played" or "I don't know, I liked it because there were gods" someone would have posted it even by error.
>>
>>26398373
>>26398354
Platinum is a mechanically better game than Emerald in every single way.
Sinnoh is a better region than Hoenn
And Platinum BF is miles better than Emerald's

Take off the goggles
>>
>>26398403
People think gen 4 is only D/P and hate it because le slow meme.

In fact, gen 4 introduced online and that alone makes it a more breakthrough gen than any other, plus the physical/special split deepened the meta and it wasn't a shitty gimmick like mega evolution in gen 6
>>
>>26398378
Not him and something in my heart can't make me hate HGSS but I still find it tough to play through. Not difficultywise but cringey. Type distribution is just still so horrible. DP had like one fire type besides like Infernape I think but it was fine because it was placed really well. Even RB had that down relatively well, though it was still pretty bad due to the quality of Pokemon in 1st gen.
>>
>>26398403
to me it seems like you're covering your eyes, ears and singing like a retard while people when people show irrefutable proof that gen 4 is great.
>>
>>26398315
I can respect that. While I love the Frontier, I dislike the Battle Tents and the Scott stuff. Different strokes for different blokes though, eh?
The HGSS hate seems weird though yeah, since people shouldn't be offended by opinions like that. Some people didn't like Gen 6 but it doesn't really discount any opinions.
>>
>>26392388
>Story is up to anyone, Worst story has to be Gen VI for me.

Wait really? I thought it was universally agreed that Gen2 had the worst story of all. You could barely even call it a story!

I mean, let's go over Rocket's big plan again:
1: Cut off Slowpoke tails and sell them for money.
2: Force Magikarp to evolve into Gyarados. Not really explained why, they just are.
3: Hijack a radio tower so they could send a message to Giovanni saying they want him to lead them again.

That's it. And it's even all resolved before half-way through the game.
>>
>>26398500
I like HGSS but I do think the game added a lot of cool new things yet didn't improve on the core game flaws of GS's campaign, of which there wereany, maybe even more than RB whose flaws were more mechanical than anything.
>>
File: 250px-CyrusPlatopen.png (20 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
250px-CyrusPlatopen.png
20 KB, 250x188
gen 4 had best villain and best team so eat shit
>>
>>26398553
this so much
>>
File: 132942885117.jpg (106 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
132942885117.jpg
106 KB, 554x439
>>26398275
You need to replace Platinum with Emerald.

As solid as Platinum's features were, at the end of the day it was still just a game that tried to salvage as much as it possibly could from the disaster that was Diamond and Pearl even though the most it could do was just be a DECENT Pokemon game at best, despite all of its improvements. It simply couldn't fix the inherent problems with Sinnoh's map, its terrible navigation, its incredibly subpar Pokemon designs, its dull cities and its even duller plot framework established by D/P's rather forgettable characters. It was great for what it was and there was clearly a lot of effort put into it but when you're working with one of the blandest regions in the series, there's only so much you can do.
>>
>>26398354
You're literally calling the very large majority contrarians. Just say you dont like it, but you dont need to make your opinion "more" than it already is

>>26398500
Yeah man, It's perfectly fine. I dont regret buying ORAS and it's nice that every region is in 3D now. It was nice to have the most recent Gen again.

The hate seems to have come out of nowhere too, I only came here probably last year and a big group of HGSS haters just popped up randomly recently. It's like every game needs to be polarising now just because Gen 6 is.

Battle Tents were pointless but I did prefer one location for Contests. Though maybe having it so late game was a pretty bad idea.
>>
> 181 replies
> 94 posters

Are most of "yes" replies by the same faggot?
>>
>>26398472
well, I wrote those : >>26395827 >>26397236 >>26397565 if that can help you see my position.

unlike >>26398444 said, I don't complain about the speed of the game, more about the whole region. and the antagonists ? they want to reboot the world ? with what exactly ? going back in time will erase them because they will no longer be born and what can a space god do about it ? create a new country ? well, that would be less dumb actually.

no, my problem is a bit deeper than just "muh speed". and talking about mechanic changes is somewhat implying that those mechanics are exclusive to this generation. the physical /special split was long overdue, even without the fourth gen, it would have happened.
>>
>>26398622
Hoenn's map is worse
The cities are worse
It has a lot of shitty designs and 3 fucking HMs are water-related.

R/S were shit games, and Emerald is still a crap main game which only redeemable factor is the battle frontier, which again, isn't better than Platinum's
>>
>>26398641
You're the guy saying people liked a game you dont like only because nostalgia?

I think riding pokemon was shit and more tedious than the slowness of Gen 4, and amie was boring and I only played it once, and that Gen 6's story (both games) were worse than all of Gen 4. But It's just opinions vs opinions.
>>
>>26398533
You're looking at it through the lens of modern Pokemon games. It's like watching the Sin City movie and complaining that the main characters never formed the Avengers. The story of Pokemon is the player befriending Pokemon, meeting various challenges, and beating the best trainers in the region. Having a few small arcs rather than an overarching plot isn't inherently a bad thing.
>>
>>26398533
An evil team doing several smaller, maneagable things rather than wanting to change the world? Sounds good to me.
>>
>>26398687
I don't even tried the shitty battle frontier as it was in my opinion a useless gimmick. like you said opinions. on the other hand, amie give you some usefull rewards like bonus xp which can help when you don't want to use the xp share.
>>
>>26398666
>R/S were shit games
Not even that anon, but damn.
>>
File: Tito_hq.jpg (108 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Tito_hq.jpg
108 KB, 720x540
>>26392094
>DP was an unfinised mess
>Platinum fixed the issues and was excellent
>HGSS are the best installments in the franchise to date taking GS and totally revamping those games with tons of new content
>XY suffer from the usual "Red/Blue" syndrome where they set the ground work for a revamped version later
>ORAS are disappointing and are basically just RS with the XY engine including the laggy framerate and a lame excuse for a post game

Gen IV>Gen VI
>>
>>26398275
If these are the top three (which they are) what's number 4
>>
>>26397825(you)
>>
>>26398716
>The story of Pokemon is the player befriending Pokemon, meeting various challenges, and beating the best trainers in the region.

This. Fuck legendary destiny shit.

Even HGSS fucked this up slightly.
>>
>>26397770
I think you're right.

Extra story line (suicune)
First battle tower
First animated sprites
First Grill
Ice path being ice
Cell phone connection
Pokegear people give stuff

it's all good senpai
>>
>>26398786
Even without legendaries, the new Team Rocket never felt like a threat. Much less memorable than the Galactic gang, which actually felt interesting. Even without the legendaries, it was neat to see how in Platinum, they were never really friends with each other, just linked by Cyrus.
>>
>>26398737
Which battle facility and game we talking here?

I know, but I feel absolutely no motivation to ever do it again. I'm probably just gonna trade for a Sylveon.
>>
>>26398767
Emerald
>>
>>26398847
I could answer "all of them" because I never liked the concept with the exception of the PWT which I loved. I usually stop using my mons once they hit lv100 so, if you can't get xp, I can't see the point.

as for amie, it's more like a fun thing to do, if you have to force yourself into it, I don't see the point (and probably so do you).
>>
>>26398842
No evil team or boss has ever felt like a threat. It's even pointed out when various grunt characters complain tongue-in-cheek "hey, a kid beat us!"

You happen upon the legendary birds by chance. You need to do some exploring to find the Regi trio.

I'd like to see SM do something like that.
>>
>>26398641
I've only ever played platinum because I fell out for awhile and I knew platinum was much better than DP. Platinum my 3rd favorite game anon, I still shit on DP but platinum it's good it really does make it a good game anon, you have access to many more evolutions and the teams make sense with a resonable challenge and just gave a better feel they also cut out some of the bs like on route with swamps and surfing speed. Hm chores are shit and that's also why BW2 is goat. It also salvages a really shitty story of fighting a boss twice and him leaving angry saying "I'll be back...?" And walking away

Platinum explains why he lets the pixies go free after capturing them and then instantly using them to free the legendary, but here he says he knows it won't work and then Giratina come and then you have to fight him with nothing left to lose and instead of admitting defeat and getting help he just would rather die in the distortion world. Makes him cooler but Glactic still sucks
>>
>>26398941
Holy man the PWT was an amazing idea.
>>
>>26398764
This.
>>
>>26398842
Cyrus is cool but Galactic is the worst fucking team anon, the admins are just really useless even compared to X and Y. The Grunts holy shit they are retarded. Remeber that one guy who keeps running away then you talk to him then he runs away for like 2 cities then fights you when he gets tired.
Don't forget how when Cyrus loses he just fucking walks away never to be seen again and how he has the masterball and gives it to you so he can use the red chain and then you use the masterball on the legendary that got away because he let you free some fairies that he kidnapped and used for power and then they worked against him.
>>
>>26393326
We're like Apple customers.
>>
>>26393402
>X/Y breathed new life into Pokemon with a lot of solid designs, mega evolution,
(you)
>>
File: 1408215823050.png (1 MB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1408215823050.png
1 MB, 720x540
>there are people who think XY and ORAS are better than Platinum and HGSS
>>
Is there any game out there that fits into the pokemon niche but does it better?
>>
>>26401338
Shin Megami Tensei
>>
>>26401338
Digimon Story: Cyber Sluts
>>
4 > 5 > 3 > 2 > 1 >>> 6

Game Freak would actively have to try to be worse than Gen 6 in the future, which will never happen of course because Game Freak doesn't like to have to try.
>>
File: 1460714970280.jpg (54 KB, 354x364) Image search: [Google]
1460714970280.jpg
54 KB, 354x364
>>26397148
>needing to grind at Pokémon
>>
>>26393404
>Kalos
>better than Sinnoh

Kalos is a fucking linear path that crosses through Lumiose a couple times.
>>
>>26401338
Pokemon always does stuff differently. It's more comfy than anything else, I'd say. If you want multiplayer balance, DQM. Neat ideas while still using teens/kids, Cyber Sleuth. Good story with adult themes, MegaTen.

Pokemon is the easy game you play to feel nice and relax.
>>
File: 1458979283098.jpg (24 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1458979283098.jpg
24 KB, 350x350
>>26398410
>And Platinum BF is miles better than Emerald's

You had me until that.

The only good facility Platinum has that isn't retained from Emerald is the Arcade, which does the luck aspect a lot better than the Pike. Emerald, by contrast, has the Dome (team preview a great), the Arena, and the Pyramid, none of which make it to Platinum.

I like Platinum's BF but it's a step down from Emerald's.
>>
>>26396925
agreed, but some changes are necessary as , as you said, nostalgia blurs you.
5>4>2>1>3>>6
>>
>>26392259
Agreeable.
>>
>>26392094
4 > 5 > 2 > 3 = 6 > 1
>>
>>26396698
Thing about Mt. Mortar is that it doesn't block anything and isn't obligatory. Coronet is just blocking the path to everything, even after you get the HM's needed to pass through.
>>
>>26398410
Best bait all day, almost got me
>>
>>26392094
No
I'm probably biased here since 4th gen is my favorite
>>
>>26398275
This image is pretty much spot on.
>>
File: 1459768502911.jpg (128 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1459768502911.jpg
128 KB, 900x675
>>26392094
Yes
>>
File: Lyra-Mad.jpg (30 KB, 217x192) Image search: [Google]
Lyra-Mad.jpg
30 KB, 217x192
>>26392094

>4th gen
>not second best

Baka
>>
>>26401568
Play HGSS with a balanced team and you will
or rather don't.

Fuck the level curve, I know it's the common complaint, but it can't be understated how fucked the leveling in that game is, even more so when compared to other RPGs since the Pokemon leveling system was broken prior to Gen5 to begin with.
>>
File: 1460717202700.jpg (63 KB, 440x337) Image search: [Google]
1460717202700.jpg
63 KB, 440x337
>>26405672
>needing to grind at Pokémon
>>
>>26405689
have fun facing Red with a team of level 40s faggot
>>
>>26405689
Enjoy never getting a Beedrill in Blue with that 5% encounter rate for Weedle and Kakuna when the only thing that ever wants to show up is a wild Kakuna
>>
>>26405709
>not facing Red with a team of freshly caught Pokémon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFVSk7oTHBw
>>
>>26405737
>posting the original
The original Gold and Silver are fine when it comes to Red. The game's level curve is overall a mess but more on the easy side so people don't notice it. It's HGSS that just fucked shit up senpai.

In the original GSC his levels basically just help compensate for the shitty AI and no EVs. If his Pokemon were the same level as yours you would beat them easily, like in Gen1 where you can thrash the Elite Four because your Rival's Rhydon still has Leer and shit.

Red has no battles before him so he needs something to give him an edge, and it's just the high levels. His Blastoise almost always starts with Rain Dance and shit.
HGSS Red is a totally different beast.
They boosted his levels and gave him good EVs and he has better AI. You need Rock Climb to even get to him(wasting a teamslot for many players) and he will BLIZZARD spam.

The whole game is a fucking mess, they didn't bother to fix the easy level curve early on but tried to make Kanto harder to compensate for it's easiness in the originals. The result is a big fuck my shit up senpai mess of a game. Anyone who defends it is wrong.
>>
>>26405689
The league in FireRed will kick your ass if you don't grind.
>>
>>26405815
Well the reason I didn't post that guy's HGSS is because he got some Hoenn and Sinnoh 'mons from the Safari Zone and I don't find it as impressive. Here you go though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88lOfQAfXpM

>>26405851
Seriously git gud.
>>
>>26405887
Posting some stupid challenge run video is not an argument against the games level curve being broken
>>
>>26405980
It's not great but you extremely exaggerate it, is my point. You will not be in your 40s when you get to Red.
>>
>>26405991
When was the last time you actually played HGSS? There are legendaries like Ho-oh/Lugia you can catch that are higher level, sure, but a normal run through will take you to around late 40s and that's being generous. Swapping team members and the like around would get you lower. You need to do something about Rock Climb as well to even reach him.

Tired of people that don't know what they are talking about defending this shit with false info. No, you will not be higher than 50 with a team of 6 without some grinding faggotry. Go play it again.
>>
File: 1holyquad.png (793 KB, 1431x1056) Image search: [Google]
1holyquad.png
793 KB, 1431x1056
Fixed.
I never played emerald
>>
>>26392171

Same

Best starter design
>>
>>26392094
3>2>5>1>4>6
>>
>>26398533
>Force Magikarp to evolve into Gyarados. Not really explained why, they just are.
You REALLY need an explanation why a team who has a bunch of grunts with nothing but Zubat and Koffing is trying to make an entire lake of Magikarp evolve into Gyarados, who fires destructive Hyper Beams, by force?

On top of that, it's obvious they were going to use that power to force evolution on other Pokémon to make them stronger.

>Hijack a radio tower so they could send a message to Giovanni saying they want him to lead them again.
This was also self-explanatory. Team Rocket was an absolute mess without their leader. Giovanni was running the group as an underground crime ring that profited off of theft, as well as running a casino that also made money off of Pokémon, while Giovanni himself was a Gym Leader.

Through all of the actions of TR in GSC, you could tell they were trying to be as threatening as they once were before Red came along, but were failing at it. Taking control of the radio tower, by keeping everyone hostage there, was as close to that leaderless team could get to replicating taking all of Silph Co. hostage.

And let's be real - Kanto in Gen 2 can't be counted as a story as it was just barely added in due to Iwata finding a way to crunch it into the game.
Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.