[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pronounce "Pokémon"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: 1410711746406.jpg (80 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1410711746406.jpg
80 KB, 1024x768
how do you personally pronounce "Pokémon," /vp/?

pɒ kJ mɒn > poʊ kə mɒn > poʊ kɛ mɒn >>>>> poʊ ki mɒn
>>
The way it's supposed to be pronounced because I'm not a english native speaking moron who doesn't know accents.
>>
PO kuh mon
>>
Pohk-men
>>
>>26386461
Pekeemahney desu
>>
>>26386475
I'm a spanish speaker, and everyone pronounces it like "pokemón" instead of "pokémon", even the show dub does this. That accent is retarded.
>>
you pronounce it like "pocket monster" so "pocke-mon"
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-mid_front_unrounded_vowel

I also make sure to partially aspirate the the stops
>>
POC-KET-SU MON-STER-RU-RU-RU
>>
>>26386461
Poe-KEY-mon
>>
>>26386461
po-kay-mon
>>
Pokey mawn
>>
Pikachu.
>>
>>26386461
ポケモン
>>
>>26386461
poughkayhmon
>>
>>26386461
I pronounce the "é" as "ay", like in "café".

Po-kay-mon.

>>26386537
That's actually where the true accent goes with the way I pronounce it.
>>
Po-KE-mon
>>
>>26386461
Poke-eh-mon
>>
Anyway's fine as long as it's not "poke-mawn". That's the "I'm not even trying to pronounce it correctly" version.
>>
>>26386461
Poe-key-mohn.
>>
>>26386461
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp22ts2URHs
>>
>>26386461
fah-goht-mon
>>
poh-key-man
>>
>>26386589
>>26386601
>>26387315
>>26387357
stop
>>
>>26386461
Poke-uh-mon
>>
>>26387394
Same
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1gdWBdWd5kx
>>
Pokey-man
>>
I say "poke-uh-mon" out of habit, though they clearly meant it to be "poke-ay-mon" when they put the accent on the e.
>>
Poe-key-mon
Poe as in Edgar Allen Poe
Key as in Key
Mon as in Monster
>>
பொகெமொன்
>>
Germany pronounces it just like Japan.

Poh-Keh-Mon
>>
polka-mon
>>
>>26386461
I pronounce 'po-key-mon'.

yeah, I know it's more like 'po-kuh-mon', but I don't people's perception of me will be that damaged because I mispronounce a kid's game.
>>
Pokaymon
>>
>Po KUH mon when I'm just saying it quickly outloud
>Po KAY mon when I'm trying to pronounce it correctly
>>
Di-gi-mohn
>>
>>26388717
>>26389308
stop
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6RNRZOllvc
>>
>>26386578
This.
>>
>>26386461
The Japanese way is "po-keh-mon"/"po-kay-mon" because it's pocket + monsters and they pronounce "pocket" as "po-keh-to".

Everyone in the 90's always said it as "pokey-mon" though, and I feel like that's the universally accepted pronunciation in English. People who pronounce it the Japanese way sound more like they know what they're doing.

Anything other pronunciation is just trying to mock the name on purpose/AAVE slang.
>>
>>26386461
poe (ポ)
kay (ケ)
mon (マン, saying モ like "Moe and Larry" sounds retarded, and saying man like the word "man" sounds just as retarded)

would be nice if I had any idea of how IPA works, but I don't think anyone does
>>
>>26386461
Poe-key-mon. The way it's supposed to be pronounced. If you unironically say it any other way you need to kill your fucking self because you're retarded and don't deserve to live.
>>
>>26391780
I think you've mistaken é for ē.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.