[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How different would Pokemon be if it was made in America instead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 1112201314623.jpg (40 KB, 205x263) Image search: [Google]
1112201314623.jpg
40 KB, 205x263
How different would Pokemon be if it was made in America instead of Japan?
>>
One less franchise to keep an eye on, that's for sure.
>>
It would be shit.
Everything made in America is shit.
Japan always makes everything superior.
>>
>>26367309
Imagine if all the American dubs of Digimon, Pokemon, etcetera were canon.
>>
It will either be better or get killed by it's own greed.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 168x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 168x168
>>
>>26367309
They would make the series less kid-friendly.
>>
>>26367309
>Pokegirl fanbase -98%
>>
It'd probably be more expansive, but less creative.
>>
File: familymon.png (182 KB, 653x367) Image search: [Google]
familymon.png
182 KB, 653x367
>>
>>26367561
are you kidding me right now?

Japan didn't have some ridiculous comics code that ended up encroaching upon cartoons where villains weren't even allowed to say 'die' or 'kill'
>>
>>26367319
Except for dick sizes.
>>
>>26367309
Pokemon is just too japanese. The whole idea of having different creatures that have different powers instead of just enemy monsters to bash is just too Japanese. The closest americans have gotten to Pokemon is Magic the gathering. You collect a bunch of creatures and battle them. They have no staying power however. Zubat might not be competitively viable but he will always be your pal. That is a hard concept for americans to develop. I guess it's the best example of how japan is seen as collectivist culture and the US is seen as an individualist society. Pokemon is all about creating a team to accomplish a goal. American pokemon would just use pokemon as a means to an end or a way to make your character stronger.

Same reason japan can't make a first person shooter. That is too american. Japanese people can't relate to just wanting to do things on your own for your own benefit.

American pokemon would just have you use pokemon to gain different abilities. They would just be upgrades to the character. You have Pikachu gloves that let you shoot lighting and Charizard wings that let you fly and shoot fireballs.
>>
>>26367319
>Everything

You do realize that Japan is so successful because the US shot it's "culture" (and nukes) up Japan's coochie after WW2?
>>
Like lilo & stich
>>
It would pander to snowflakes
>>
>>26369232
Damn you're edgy
>>
>>26369273
He's right tho.
>>
>>26369232
heh....nothing personnel kid
>>
>>26369273
>>26369398
(You) are either in denial or just conflicted by the truth.
This is actually the reality of most of the US products aimed for the youth, see toys, tv shows, movies, music and games. They aren't born a natural and genuine creation or project, they are just another channel for some temporary moneymaking that will eventually die, but in the meantime they will create tons of its replicas and will make sure to push some agenda in them.
>>
>>26367309
It would be evolve into some mediocre open world game that people only know of because it's hyped as shit. It would only be average and still get amazing reviews because muh hype.
>>
>>26369232
>>>/pol/
>>
>>26369232
Pretty much this. Even if you dislike Japan for whatever reason, at least they don't try to appeal to 300 pound women that identify as a raindrop.
>>
>>26367561
Actually, Japan is less strict about Pokemon being "kid-friendly" while the Americal/International branch of it does.
>>
>>26369501
If you cannot handle an argument just leave it.

There isn't a single US tv show for teens and children that can be considered politically free or has a genuine longevity record that doesn't feature desperate reboots and its company being bounced left and right between different owners, producers and so on. Even the classics that were only lightly influenced by politics have a mandatory agenda since the early 2000s.

The shows are also mediocre if not plain garbage, the mandatory minorities are so forced that ruin whole series since they end being unrealistic and innatural considering the /literally/ irrelevant percentage of people they do rappresent, they would be also extremely moody and dependent by the entitled whiny audience, the owners would be pressured by any made up issue about the show or games that would make the product extremely dependent and controlled by few noisy consumers.
The games and the show itself wouldn't last more than 3 seasons before a new cool shit would have put it in the shadows. Also would be lost in a sea of other mediocre producs without a specific sign of recognition.
At least under those three gens and seasons you'd have all kind of Mc Donalds menus based on foodmons and the access to whatever bathroom your brain says at their restaraunts. Also shit tier animations and cartoon network / disney tier designs too.
>>
I'm unsure if we could make anything like pokemon. The closest thing we have are elementals, but as opposed to having a real life basis, such creatures tended to be an eldritch abomination more times than not. We do have a lot of established animal-based mythological creatures, but not all of them are known for magical powers, and there's only a small amount that do. No effort has been made to expand upon them, as youkai have in Japan. Given enough creativity, it could be done, but whether or not they would still be cute, collectible critters is debatable. I believe for us, the focus would more become "monsters that fight alongside you".

Depending on who did it, it may or may not venture into more modern depictions and blend with the Universal horror monsters, and perhaps notable cryptids. Unfortunately, I feel this would delve into a more "human" kind of monster, and at that point, what difference would it make putting any mythological figure in there until you have a fantasy kitchen sink's worth of all manner of oddities ever conceived by human imagination. Would it go farther than that? Again, depends on the writer. I don't see it too well venturing into mythos from other cultures, at least not initially. I'm sure it would end up dealing with what does and does not constitute as a supernatural being, since so many of them are human, at least in appearance.

The stipulation would have to be that we are equally capable as the monsters, either able to get around their abilities or use them against them. This may end up making the premise as we know it impossible since the focus is not on the monsters per se. It'd be like any other fantasy world with a wide variety of monsters. The only difference is you can use the monsters yourself, or at least become allied with them. Hiding behind your monsters would be seen as either weak or foolish, and true warriors fight their own battles.

(cont.)
>>
Honestly better than now.
Imagine vietnam war with pokemon and mf lt. surge with raichu electrifying commies to death.
Add braviary for air combat and blastoise for ground support, and there it is the perfect pokemon game.
>>
>>26369886
And still lose.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYTedTVAdeY
>>
>>26367309
But Anon, every country belongs to America
>>26367319
Fuck off weeb
>>
File: 1458300994983.jpg (59 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1458300994983.jpg
59 KB, 500x375
>>26367309
>occasionally well-done action sequences
>interesting character devolopment
>show concludes in 5-7 seasons
>bro-tier side characters

sources:samurai jack, young justice, avatar
>>
>>26369114
Sutetchi i choose you
>>
>>26367801
>Japan can't make a first-person shooter
Nigger not every shooter is call of duty
>>
>>26369836
Intelligence is something I feel is just as varied as people here seem to think Pokemon are. We have the full range of creatures that are nothing more than beasts, to having limited capacity for reason, to even having knowledge beyond our comprehension. I have mixed feelings about having all be present at once. What does it matter if it can shoot lightning at you? To me, it'd be like unleashing a tiger, it's too big of a risk. To control it, it'd have to have some level of understanding, and it would just become too complicated if you also have creatures that definitely have sapience. You can only have one or the other, and just having beasts limits the scope of creatures you can use.

The main part, though, would be that there is no chance that this would be a frivolous thing. Not unless it was a toy-making scheme. (got me there, then nothing I just said would matter and it would be EXACTLY like Pokemon) I, however, believe there to be plenty of potential for playable monsters, and why everything is so limited in that scope, I don't understand why.
>>
>>26367309
Instead of needing ~4 generations to turn franchise into cash cow with no dignity or honor, they would do that in five seconds tops.
>>
>>26369700
Bullshit. Come back when anything pokemon that is not a spinoff actually has a meaningful plot. (the manga is too exaggerated to count)
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.