[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't the mainline Pokemon games have plots as interesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: 4L_QesBAzuA.jpg (57 KB, 435x245) Image search: [Google]
4L_QesBAzuA.jpg
57 KB, 435x245
Why can't the mainline Pokemon games have plots as interesting as those in the spin offs?
>>
Because of normies
>>
>>26355360
While mainline is both for kids and adults alike, spin offs are for kids only.

Are you a fucking kid, OP?
>>
because humans do not exist
>>
>>26355360
>you're a pokemon for the umpteenth time again
>you used to be a human
>>
What is a mushroom?
Parasect claims to be one
>>
>>26355360
>as intersting
it's almost the same plot everytime, it only banks on twists twists TWISTS! Sounds like shyamalan wrote it
>>
>>26355397
It has many major plot twists that kept me engaged, granted it was my first game in the series.
>>
>>26355360
>you're a human who got transformed and sent to an alternate dimension where only pokemon exist
>you have to save the world from a calamity in which the cause boils down to there's a Legendary who's throwing a tantrum

>>26355471
Well there's your problem. The same thing could be said about the mainline games if you started out with XY.
>>
>>26355360
>playing pokemon for the storyline
>not for the ancestral need to make animals fight and subdue the weakest

TOP KEK
>>
>>26355375
Sorry, but "you" do not count as an adult. I don't care what your age is, you are not an adult. No adult can like this game, and if they say they do, they're lying, either outright or to themselves. This is indeed as shallow as a card or board game, and people only do that because they're bored. This is supposed to be more fulfilling. I do not see that.
>>
File: 1439496154334.png (256 KB, 1152x665) Image search: [Google]
1439496154334.png
256 KB, 1152x665
>>26355471
>It has many major plot twists that kept me engaged,
Judging from OPs picture. Pertification is a trope. An JRPG trope even. As an adult that has actually read books I can tell you that Pokemon spin-offs are cash-grab chore-simulators, at least in the case of the MD series.

But you'll eventually grow up and act the adult you already physically are one day. So don't worry too much about your children shit too much for now.
>>
>>26355521
This is too short to become a copypasta. Good effort though.
>>
File: 157993.jpg (54 KB, 300x451) Image search: [Google]
157993.jpg
54 KB, 300x451
>>26355521
look,

a kid can play pokemon just by spamming the same move with his starter asshole pokemon.

An adult can play this game (with a rather silly storyline, I admit) in order to breed warmachines by calculating IVs, EVs, motherfucking nature, move combinations and then own every single loser who dares to fight against you.

Pokemon it's like The Little Prince, you can read it as a retarded kid and think it's just a nice fable. You can read it as a man and cry manly tears for its content.
>>
PSMD's plotwists were fucking mind boggling
Sometimes I had absolutely no idea what the fuck was happening
>>
>>26355579
Pffft. You honestly think your so called "competitive" is complex? Every mechanic in this game is imbalanced as heck. There is no skill. Yes, you can destroy everyone, but what is competitive without someone to oppose you? This game was not designed to be fair, it was designed to give you the advantage. You are not clever, you just have sense. The only other conclusion to come to is that you have no honor. In which case, here is your "faggot". Go ahead and spam "faggot" back ad infinitum. Go ahead and have your children's argument. My point is made.
>>
>>26355484
Except super mystery dungeon played off the first one a bit differently with the plot twists and the second one doesnt even come into play.
>>
PMD games just use some of the same elements in all of the stories, but everything else is different.
The only valid complain is that now that they have recycled the main twist from Explorers in Gates to Infinity and Super it's getting boring and they should have a different story like they did when going from Rescue Team to Explorers, which is why I hope the next one changes that.
>>
>>26355360
How exactly did this thread become a bait thread?
>>
>>26355360
They made one once, people apparently didn't like it
>>
>>26355593
Super PMD's ending was Shyamalan on crack.

Only PMD story that was good was Gates
>>
>>26355556
>Judging from OPs picture. Pertification is a trope. An JRPG trope even
Not the one you replied to, but yes pertificiation is a thing in PSMD. However, its not just "you're now turned into stone". There is a lot more behind that.
>>
>>26355703
What kind of plot twists were in there? Was there a character that you thought was bad, but turned out to be good along, who sacrifices himself for you guys?
>>
File: 1460482249939.jpg (166 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460482249939.jpg
166 KB, 1920x1080
>>26356316
Convince me.
>>
>>26356327
All things considered, even the most generic of JRPG plots would still be better than any of the main series plots.
>>
>>26356337
Can't do it without spoilers so spoiler alert.

Being turned into stone means you go to Pokemon Hell. [/x]
>>
>>26356362
Same can be said about Mystery Dungeon. Not to sound like I'm defending the main series plots.
>>
>>26356366
WOah dude
>>
>>26356337
There's also a GT tier negative energy plot, mind control, betrayal, love and despair etc etc.
>>
>>26356366
>>26356434
Those aren't plot twists, you jackasses. Negative energy and all that are just plot POINTS. Unless you only play pokemon games, you've seen these plot points used much better.

A plot twist would be you went through a ton of stress to revive them and it's revealed that they can't come back.
>>
>>26356366
So it's a metaphor that doesn't really make any sense? I hate to go all pretentious on you. But like, this isn't convincing. I've read books as a fucking 10 year old with more meaningful stories than this. I know meaningful isn't the right word, but neither is complex. I don't know how to say this without sounding like a pretentious shit but really? Is there any way you actually have never handled a story that actually touches on mature stuff? Does the chance that you liking this story stem from that? I don't judge you for that. It's just so baffling to me is all.

>>26356434
>betrayal love despair
These are in quite literally every story. But they're also not ambiguous at all. They're quite black and white. They're concept children are capable of understanding. Very easily. Mind Control is just a plot-convenience so the viewer can more easily choose a side instead of actually having 'selfish' people persuaded by the 'bad' guy.

>GT tier negative energy plot
What does this mean?
>>
>>26356460
>Those aren't plot twists, you jackasses
I never said it was. I'm just saying there is more to the "being turned into stone" thing than meets the eye.
>>
>OP trying to use SMD's story as an example of a good plot
git gud, GTI had the better story
>>
>>26356509
That doesn't make it any less of a hackneyed trope.
>>
>>26356460
That one time when everyone was on high alert or some shit because of some mysterious blue flames. Yadda Yadda Yadda, abducted Pokémon, unconscious niggas, blue flames again, everyone is passing on themselves, especially the partner. Faggot kids get abducted, rescue. Neat fight with giratina & company. Turns out it was just a Solosis trying to help some Litwick because they feed off fear.
That was a nice, refreshing, minor plot twist that really added to the slice of life atmosphere for me. Ghost stories and haunted places, amiright?
>>
>>26356504
Look I'm sure there are better plots out there. I've seen it myself as RPGs are my favorite genre of games, having played the likes of Xenoblade (X), Final Fantasy, the Tales of series etc.

But I like PMD mainly because it is a "Pokemon only world". It's a very interesting concept to me considering how much plot material each and every Pokemon can have (especially the legendaries).

Of course I wish PMD had even better plots then it has right now. There is always room for improvement. I'm sure there are flaws or other things that don't make sense. But I still enjoy the plots for what they are. They genuinely surprised me or made me feel emotional from time to time. They genuinely made me wonder what might happen next in a story. And that all in a world I find very interesting.

One of the most important things a RPG should do to me is to make me feel as if I'm part of that world, as unbelievable as that world might be. PMD did that to a excellent degree to me.

On a side note, I don't think PSMD was that great of a story. It was pretty good (even though it has flaws), but not that excellent. I think Explorers is way better in that regard (and even that game overuses certain plot elements).

>>26356550
People seem to think using tropes is a bad thing. Let me tell you it's almost impossible to not use tropes in order to have a interesting story. Its about how developers/storywriters handle certain tropes that makes a story interesting or not. I think the way PSMD handled that trope was pretty interesting.
>>
>>26356811
Using a tired trope isn't a bad thing. But "You aren't just turned to stone. You turn to stone and go to hell" is a negligible change or addition to the trope.
>>
>>26356811
>I've seen it myself as RPGs are my favorite genre of games,
Then I can't take you seriously. RPGs are time-wasters for children. They're chore-simulators. They don't have good stories. There's no character development, too many one-dimensional characters, predictable tropes, directive issues, pacing issues and more.
RPGs being your 'favorite' genre is not only a meaningless statement. It also not a real statement. You're simply artificially creating boundaries by claiming something is a specific something. It's not an argument. It's not helping one understand why something is something. Ignoring that RPGs are a collective-term to begin with.
>>
>>26355360
Raticate is ma nigga
Whats his plot on this one?
>>
>>26357275
Jeez dude, did RPGs kill your parents? His tastes don't align with yours, why do you feel the need to act superior? Stating your opinion as a fact doesn't make you right.
>>
>>26357275
>Then I can't take you seriously. RPGs are time-wasters for children. They're chore-simulators. They don't have good stories. There's no character development, too many one-dimensional characters, predictable tropes, directive issues, pacing issues and more

So you don't like RPGs in general? Alright, but then what are you trying to argue here?

>RPGs being your 'favorite' genre is not only a meaningless statement.It also not a real statement.

I'm not sure why it is meaningless or not a real statement. It means I like games which have the RPG label on it.

>You're simply artificially creating boundaries by claiming something is a specific something. It's not an argument. It's not helping one understand why something is something.

Here is where I'm not sure were arguing about the same thing. I'm not even sure what you mean or if it has any value to the conversation here.

>Ignoring that RPGs are a collective-term to begin with.

When I'm saying RPGs, I'm talking about video games which have the RPG label on it. I know there are more definitions of RPG like Table Top RPGs. But when people talk about PMD a video game RPG, I assume people know what I mean with RPG. And again, I'm not sure why it matters right now.

I'm sorry to say, but your statement as a whole is pretty confusing. I'm just trying to explain why I like PMD.

>>26356887
I guess. It's a little hard to explain. I think maybe you need to experience the story for yourself in order to give it good judgement.

Like I said, I think PSMD is not the strongest in story telling even within the PMD series.
>>
It's sad how watered-down mainline pokemon games are. Even the story for yo-kai watch is better.
>>
>>26358005
I don't mind that it's watered down, but I hate how it's the exact same thing every game.

You know that you're always going to pick between a water, fire, and grass type Pokemon as your first Pokemon.
You know that there is going to be 8 gym leaders you will need to defeat in various towns around the region and that all of them will have a theme.
You know that there is a criminal organization that you need to infiltrate with boss(es) to defeat.
You know that you will have at least one friend/rival that you know since the beginning of the game and that gets progressively stronger.

And that's just the plot points, nevermind the actual layout of the game or new mechanics being introduced. Double Battles, Mega Evolution, and the addition of 3 new types since the original game are probably the most radical changes we've had since RBGY
>>
>>26357469
He's just a villager that carves out stone with his teeth and his son beside him.
His son aspires to become just like his father.
that's about it
>>
My complaint has always been WHY you do any of this. There isn't one. You seem to enjoy doing something for no reason, though.
>>
>>26358127
Who are you talking to?
>>
>>26357965
Not an argument.

>>26357984
>I don't like collective term in general
The fuck did you completely miss the point of my comment or what? Don't answer. It's rhetorical

>It means I like games which have the RPG label on it.
So you like them because they have the label on it or do you like the ones that happen to have that label on it? There's no such label though.

>Here is where I'm not sure were arguing about the same thing. I'm not even sure what you mean or if it has any value to the conversation here.
That's sad. I keep on overestimating the intelligence of the posters on here. It's really not at all that difficult. But then again, you waste your brain on RPGs. So you probably can't handle difficult things. Instead of challenging yourself, you've already given up on life.
>label
There's no such thing. It's a collective term. It doesn't describe the product.

Read a book.
>>
>>26355360
Because most buyers are either kids(braindead retards to gf) or pokemon fans(actual braindead retards).
>>
>>26356460
>A plot twist would be you went through a ton of stress to revive them and it's revealed that they can't come back.

Thats been done before too.
>>
File: 1435400432077.png (259 KB, 1198x1200) Image search: [Google]
1435400432077.png
259 KB, 1198x1200
>>26358701
>>
>>26355369
Normies have higher standards anon.>>26355579
>citing overrated shit books
>>
>>26358817
Yeah, basically. Not giving him any more (You)'s.
>>
ITT: everyone interprets "interesting" as "the greatest plots ever in the history of gaming."

shut the fuck up, you fucking retarded children.
>>
>>26358877
This. It doesn't matter, though. If it's not the best, it's shit. That's how these boards are.
>>
>>26355360
I literally couldn't even watch a playthrough of this game all the way through because I was cringing too much
>>
>>26358817
>>26358835
So you can't actually contribute to the thread. You can't actually refute so you'll just pretend I'm baiting because you're too thick to actually comprehend what I said.
That's pretty childish on your end
>>
File: 34601353_p0.jpg (158 KB, 525x600) Image search: [Google]
34601353_p0.jpg
158 KB, 525x600
>he's never played BW
>>
>>26358928
You're the one who isn't contributing.
>Then I can't take you seriously. RPGs are time-wasters for children. They're chore-simulators. They don't have good stories. There's no character development, too many one-dimensional characters, predictable tropes, directive issues, pacing issues and more
This is an opinion. There is nothing to refute because there isn't anything wrong with having an opinion. Fuck off.
>>
>>26358944
>you're the one who isn't contributing
This is simply wrong.

>this is an opinion
No it's not. It's a summary. There's plenty of objective statements in there, you on the other hand are just screaming bait all the time instead of contributing
>>
>>26358933
>He's never played BW, the game that holds your hand every 12 steps you take with a cut scene
>>
>>26358972
It's not a summary. You're acting as though these problems are exclusive to one genre. You complain that these issues exist, but instead of attributing them to the writers or the designers or the directors, you attribute them to a label.

>time-wasters for children
Varies by game. Pokémon is one of them. Divinity: Original Sin is not.
>They're chore-simulators.
Perhaps. Some games can be more monotonous and tedious than they should be. That said, people can still have fun with them (don't tell me you think fun is a buzzword).
>They don't have good stories.
Subjective AND varies by game.
>The other points
Varies by game.

You create your own reality. You're never going to be happy if you keep generalizing like this. You can't objectively say "Most RPGs are like this" because that's an opinion, seeing as how you haven't played every RPG in order to make that sort of claim.
>>
>>26358995
This was already a nuisance in generation 4 which was the last I played.
First sequence needed ages and then it just continued with obvious shit like "LOOK THIS IS A MARKET THERE YOU CAN..."
First gens were bareboned as fuck, but they at least trusted the player to recognise a building with a sign called "market" by themselves or trusted em to find out its content for themselves.
>>
>>26359115
>it's not a summary
prove it
>>
>>26360154
lol
>>
>>26355360
Because storylines, monologues and drivel that are spoonfed to you (a la gen 5) are never interesting.

The better way to tell story in Pokémon is to let us dig it up ourselves like with Sea Mauville. Lore without narrative is the way to go.
>>
>>26358117
Well, its not bad. At least he got something.

Who is his son?
>>
>>26360209
>Lore without narrative is the way to go.
Dark Souls has shown that this is most certainly not the way to go.
>>
>>26360209
Best way to go is have the plot there as well as allowing the player to find lore across the region.
That was one of the better parts of ORAS because the lore interwove with the story
>>
>>26355360
Holy hell that looks like shit
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.