[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's make the wait for Sun/Moon easier. What games hit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10
File: dq5-box.jpg (358 KB, 640x574) Image search: [Google]
dq5-box.jpg
358 KB, 640x574
Let's make the wait for Sun/Moon easier.

What games hit some of the same buttons as Pokemon, that you can play whilst waiting for the next Pokemon game?

Pic related.
>>
If you haven't played it, Dragon Quest V is the one that lets you choose a bunch of monsters to your party. A pretty decent JRPG all around also.
>>
I couldn't get in to this one, but it's supposed to be good.

You don't have to post JRPGs, of course. Just games that act as a Pokemon substitute. Maybe it has monsters that evolve or just draws you into the world and characters ina similar way.
>>
Well there is Monster Hunter Generations coming in July for those who like that series. Should be a nice way to kill off a couple months
>>
Animal Crossing New Leaf
>>
Both of the English Translated Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker are pretty good.
>>
>>26355194
I was playing that game and having a good time. Got a wife and a boat to explore the world with.
Little did I know that the rom had a bug that caused the screen to go black when I entered the bottom quarter of the map.
>>
>>26355178
Apart from pokemon games my 3DS is almost useless.
>>
Ni No Kuni is fairly Pokemon-ish.
>>
I'm enjoying Yo-kai Watch, even if grinding for way too long to befriend the ones I need is a massive pain in the ass. And the storytelling is kinda bad, even for a game for children.
>>
>>26355178
I've been playing Persona 3 portable which is similar enough for me
>>
Spectrobes

>>26355178
is this some new DBZ shit?
>>
>>26356695
No, but the artist is Akira Toriyama in both. He's not the greatest artist, but I like his style. It's got something immensely nostalgic to me.

Or are you baiting? bc honestly not knowing the dragon quest series is a bit sad
>>
ni no kuni and spectrobes

(spectrobes is pretty bad but I enjoyed the fossil aspect of it and some of the monster designs werw neat)
>>
>>26356754
never heard of it, whats it about
>>
File: Rune_Factory_4.jpg (113 KB, 640x569) Image search: [Google]
Rune_Factory_4.jpg
113 KB, 640x569
>>26355178
DQV is gr8. I'm replaying DQIX now. gotta have my custom party.

and replaying rune factory for the monster collecting/dungeon crawling
>>
>>26356785
you kill slimes with a sword
>>
>>26356853
sounds lewd
>>
>>26355178
I'm actually at the very end of DQV on the SNES right now and just recruited a Great Dragon.

Should I use Bianca despite her being horribly underlevelled? Or should I bring a useful monsterbro with me like Nereos?
>>
>>26355178
The closest I've come is Cyber Sleuth, but once I did what I wanted to do, I found myself asking "now what?" I have no answer. I am satisfied. Do I just see no point in playing a game again anymore? No matter how good the story is? Perhaps so. I need something new to keep myself from getting bored.
>>
>>26356964
bianca is great if you take the time to level her up.
>>
File: 1461031155510.jpg (127 KB, 460x454) Image search: [Google]
1461031155510.jpg
127 KB, 460x454
>Want to try and recruit a Snowbird early on because they can cast Omniheal and do more damage than Healslimes
>Taking hours, no dice
>Get to the final area
>Snowbirds are enemies
>Recruit one
>Now useless because of how easily it gets wrecked this late in the game.

Dis game
>>
>>26356785
It's literally the first JRPG series.
>>
>>26357191
i find that hard to believe, like, before the days of 8-bit atari 1800 RPGs?
>>
>>26357240
Those exist?

Well it was inspired by more western RPG designs like Wizardry. But as far as JRPGs go, Dragon Quest is generally agreed on beign the first.
>>
>>26357240
The first one is from -86.
>>
>>26357240

DQ came out in 1986
>>
>>26357240
>J
>J
>J
>>
>>26356826
Are you me?
>>
I dunno why, but I'm replaying Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and it reminds me of Pokemon. Probably the soul collecting part. Gonna continue with the rest of the DS releases and replay DQ 4, 5, 6, 9, MJ, MJ2 and Rocket Slime after that. Damn, that's a lot of games
>>
Fire emblem is perfect to fill the gap. Plus it has waifus.
>>
I'm gonna play through all the Dragon Quest games while waiting for Pokemon. Is there a recommended order, or just chronologically?
>>
File: Rune_Factory_4.jpg (88 KB, 500x358) Image search: [Google]
Rune_Factory_4.jpg
88 KB, 500x358
>>26357334
probably
>>
>>26357352
No, just reccomendations on which versions are best.

DQ 1, 2, and 3 are best on the SNES

DQ4 and 6 are best on the DS

DQ5 is arguably better on either the PS2 or DS, depending on who you ask or which waifu is the best.

DQ7 is coming out later this year on the 3DS, so just wait for that.

DQ8 is best on the PS2, the iOS and Android version is shit, save corruption everywhere and removal of voice acting.

DQ9 is only out on the DS.
>>
>>26357407
Thanks so much.
>>
>>26357464
Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 is pretty fun, too. It focuses on the monster taming aspect of the series.
>>
>>26357345
Fire Emblem is terrible.
>waifus
Terribly bland waifus at that.
>>
>>26355466
Hard to complain about the story when pokemon doesn't do much in that department either. The game is like fantasy life and is more side quest based
>>
>>26357517
>I only played Awakening and Fates
>>
>>26357507
Is that like Joker? I played both of those, pretty gud games.
>>
>>26357553
This. The old Fire Emblem games were incredible.
>>
Gonna push yo kai watch Hard here. Really loving it and sometimes I'm tempted to say it's better than pokemon. If you're in NA I advise waiting for 2 though. It's superior in many ways.
>>
File: 6c1.jpg (610 KB, 700x1134) Image search: [Google]
6c1.jpg
610 KB, 700x1134
>>26357517

them's fightin words anon
>>
>>26357557
yeah, the predecessor to the Joker games. Same basic mechanics.
>>
>>26357574
I think yokai kind of sucks honestly. The battle system is super random, and almost all the designs are really bad. I also think the story is shitty, but that's not as big of a deal for /vp/. The whole game plays like this huge tedious grind, and then it's over and it feels like wasted time.
>>
which monster rancher game should i replay /vp/?
>>
>>26357623
I remember playing one of those on the ds a long time ago. I had no idea how the game worked but I had this one cyclops monster who was so cool. I think he died or something and then I dropped it.
>>
>>26357623
>>
File: 1265656177-00.jpg (119 KB, 800x712) Image search: [Google]
1265656177-00.jpg
119 KB, 800x712
If only Pokémon could steal a couple of things of this game...
>>
>>26357610
>random
Yes you don't control individual actions but I see it like being the coach of a team. You really see how much effort you might have to put in to support your yo kai in boss battles.
>designs
You got me there and I can't argue that point - although I love the designs they're not for everyone. Doesn't make the game bad though
>story
Does story really matter when we all play pokemon? Which only scratched the surface of a story in Gen 5
>>
>>26357464
Another thing to note is the chronology.

1, 2, and 3 are known as the Erdrick trilogy as they all take place in the same world and revolve around the ancient hero named Erdrick.

4, 5, and 6 are known as the Zenithia trilogy as they revolve around a kingdom in the sky called Zenithia. The first Dragon Warrior Monsters game takes place in this universe too.

The rest are all self contained stories. Save for 9 where all these previous games somehow took place.
>>
>>26357569

But they can't marry an overpowered minnax player surrogate in them
>>
>>26357739
>Does story really matter when we all play pokemon?
That's why I said story isn't a big deal.

>Doesn't make the game bad though
I would argue that in a game about catching monsters, if the monsters have shitty designs it takes away from the game. I remember there being one design I liked in the game, some sort of black ice princess thing. Literally the only reason I kept playing.

That being said, I don't think yo kai watch is a horrible game, just not my taste.
>>
File: pokemon conquest banner.png (2 MB, 1394x824) Image search: [Google]
pokemon conquest banner.png
2 MB, 1394x824
Even though it plays more like Final Fantasy Tactics than Pokemon, this game is still great and I would recommend playing through it.

If only they would make a Pokemon Conquest 2 for 3DS after Sun and Moon come out. That would be fantastic.
>>
>>26358018
I'm the biggest fanboy for mystery dungeon and pokemon ranger games, but this will always be my favorite pokemon spinoff. Doing all the bonus stories is so fucking fun.

tfw I have every person's best pokemon
tfw 100%ed the game
tfw nothing left to do
>>
I wish Pokemon get some ideas from Fosil Fighters Champions
I LOVED how descriptions actualy helped with team building.
>>
>>26358113
Fossil Fighters Champions is so much fun also. The story and characters are fun and enjoyable. Never played frontier, but I'm thinking of picking that up soon.
>>
>>26358113
Loved that game. Especially how the spatial elements of the battle system added a layer of strategy besides 'spam super effective attack'.
>>
>>26355178
http://store.steampowered.com/app/362090/

Bretty good DWM clone.
>>
This year, I'm running through Pokemon, Persona, and Final Fantasy games because of their big games later this year. I've never finished Persona 1 and 2 and I beat FFX yesterday.
>>
File: 0.jpg (149 KB, 675x617) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
149 KB, 675x617
I enjoyed Puzzle & Dragons Z.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.