[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are people who actually believe that XY didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: rivals.jpg (91 KB, 800x550) Image search: [Google]
rivals.jpg
91 KB, 800x550
>there are people who actually believe that XY didn't have the best rivals in the whole series
>>
>>26335112

Yep.
>>
hang yourself
>>
>>26335112
Which one-dimensional character was your rival, exactly?
>>
>>26335112

They were awful. I wouldn't even call them rivals. They were an annoying group of fuckwads who just held shit up
>>
>>26335112
I like XY but I'd have a very hard time defending Kalos' rivals
>>
Nothing to see here folks. Just a nigger trolling, move along.
>>
>>26335112
>there are people who actually believe that XY have the best rivals in the whole series
>>
>>26335112
Serena/Calem has like 2 battles with you, it's fucking stupid
>>
They had huge potential, but all failed miserably. They were all boring with one dimensional characters, and all had shitty barley functioning teams.

Their designs are subjective, but it doesnt matter when you just dont give a fuck about them cause their so useless.
>>
Where mah Silver niggas at?

He might have been an edgy little shit but he succeeded in doing what he set out to do, i.e. make you hate him and strive to beat him.
>>
We gettin kalosperms now?
Oh boy.
>>
>>26335211
kalobortions
>>
>>26335112
The problem with these fuckups is that while they all have their own personality, express it well and have their own motivations, they fall on their faces because the player can't really constantly meet all of them, and the player eventually distances itself from them.
While they do complement each other and form a good group that could be considered a rival, there is not really a reason as to why not merge most of them into one great character that can appear more often, and have a bigger impact in the player.
They are shit, jump of a brigde faggot.
>>
>>26335214
nah there are already unovabortions
>>
from left to right

>faggot char
>weak sissy char
>fatass dancing homo
>shit tier pig tail waifu
>dumb fucking blonde
>forgetting about that kid who liked the fighting psychic mon that had aids

they're all shit fuck you and your shit opinions
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 736x508) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 736x508
These guys are my favorite rivals, though. XY rivals are probably rank 3.
>>
>>26335238
>>forgetting about that kid who liked the fighting psychic mon that had aids
Wally was originally from Gen 3 though.
>>
>>26335208
Rivals are supposed to be edgy little shits and Silver is by far the edgiest little shit.
>>
>>26335211
I still like XYgotes
>>
Blue was the best. He actually felt like the villain.

Especially when he turns out to be the champ. Its the final fucking boss, and it feels like it.
>>
>>26335112

BW gave you a Rival competent enough to be a gym leader, a friendly rival, AND a antagonistic rival who eventually acts as a final boss.

A trio of happy go lucky goofs doesnt compare, even if one of them is delicious brown.
>>
>>26335211
I want to hear the genwunner tier defences they would throw out.
>>
>>26335238

Wait if fatso was a dancer why was he fat?
>>
>>26335298
>"Let's make our rival an asshole"
>"Do you... you know, do any thing with his charac-"'
>"JUST MAKE HIM AN ASSHOLE"
>>
>>26335325
because he sucked
>>
>>26335298
>Blue
>villain

I'm guessing the anime colored your perception of him because in the games he's basically just an old friend who likes to bantz.
>>
>>26335303
This is how it should be done. One rival who is your friend, one who is your enemy. With those two slots filled, and filled properly, than any other rivals can be as shit as they want and it won't be a let down.
>>
>>26335208

I don't know, Blue had a pretty good crack at that.
I'd say the 2 are about equal
>>
>>26335377
>bantz
kys
>>
File: 1462728174385.png (19 KB, 414x506) Image search: [Google]
1462728174385.png
19 KB, 414x506
>>26335377
>next region is based on Australia
>it turns out that's where Blue is from
>>
>>26335472
>Gary Oak and his Children are all illegal immigrants
>The main villain is based off of Donald Trump and wants to deport their ass.
>>
>>26335208
I miss rivals like him and Blue.

Silver was the type of character you love to hate, also he went through character development unlike most of the rivals.
>>
LEVEL 48 PETAL DANCE ROSERADE
>>
>>26335244
Came in here because of bait, found good taste.
>>
>>26335208
>>26335265
>>26335564
>Edgy shit fuck character from Gen 2
>OOOOOO I LUVE IT WE NEED MORE
>Gen 5
>REEEEEEEE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE
Nothing pleases you
>>
>>26335265
>Rivals are supposed to be edgy little shits

no they arent. a rival is supposed to be strong and be a constant that pushes you to become stronger. silver, much like gary, is a little bitch who does nothing but talk shit even though they blow ass and are easy as fuck

silver was a terrible rival
>>
>>26335715
Keep enjoying your shitty friendly and boring rivals then.
>>
>>26335112
They're not bad. What's bad is that, you know.

YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH FIVE FUCKING DIFFERENT RIVALS.
>>
>>26335687
>Almighty King N
>Edgy
He was friend to all pokemon anon.
>>
BW/2 really did spoil us...

These bastards were so boring and annoying.
>>
>>26335752
as opposed to some weak asshole talking shit for no reason and being easier than the majority of regular trainers?

"HMPH UR SO WEAK AND PATHETIC EVEN THOUGH YOU BEAT ALL MY POKEMON AND I NEVER EVEN GOT A HIT IN GIT GUD"

nah, ill take bianca and cheren type rivals any day of the week. at least bianca is cute
>>
>>26335506
>Donald Trump
>Australia

Fuck off with American politics already.
>>
>>26335112
At this point I'd love if they did away with the concept of "rivals" to be honest. After gen 2 they started feeling more like an annoyance than a genuine competition.
>>
>>26335888
hun gary and silver are literally made to be annoyances
>>
Sucks because the bw rivals were great. Hugh was bro as fuck. Even the sperg from dp was a fun guy. Gen 6s rivals were just whatever.
>>
>>26335156

No there aren't.
>>
>>26335112
Tierno and Trevor could be removed from the game and NOTHING would really change. Shauna is alright since you see her enough to care about her. Calem/Serena were just there to fill a quota of the opposite gender rival and barely interacted with you.
Sorry, but they're not the best rivals. Hell, they might actually be the worst.
>>
>>26335798
>at least bianca is cute
You sure showed him.
>>
I liked XY but the rivals were the weakest ones to date. Even worse than "Smell Ya Later!" Green/Blue.

See the thing is; the XY rivals had their own little quirks and goals, but you can't give a character a goal or a dream and expect that to be enough.

How do they influence the story? What kind of relationship do they have with the MC aside from "Well you're new here, so lets be friends!"? Do they go through some kind of character arc?

I don't even remember what the fat dancing guy did aside from being a fat dude who dances. Congrats: you're positive representation for all male fatties everywhere; but he may as well had been a background decoration for how little he does.

ALL of the X/Y rivals had this type of problem.
>>
File: 1444614919832.jpg (25 KB, 624x448) Image search: [Google]
1444614919832.jpg
25 KB, 624x448
>>26335506
>deporting illegals
>villainous
>>
>>26335112
You WANT rivals to stop you at every single town and engage you in battles you're practically guaranteed to win? k then.
>>
>>26335348
-down enough cakes to weigh an entire semi-truck.
>>
>>26336043
>all these fat hikers
Wut
>>
>>26335112
Are characters like Tierno, Shauna,and(going back to gen 5) Bianca well-liked in Japan? If so, I could see that as the reason for GF giving us these losers as "rivals"/
>>
>>26336145
>supporting cast

ALTHOUGH YOU WOULDN'T KNOW IT 'CAUSE HE NEVER DID ANYTHING
>>
>>26335377
I think what makes him feel like a villain is that he's the only rival who's ever posed any actual threat
>>
>>26336214
>Only rival that ever posed a threat

His three move eggsecutor and ember Arcanine is really threatening.
>>
>>26336259
Blue still had the best team of any rival.

Well balanced, and Pidgeot aside, his mons were among the best of its specific type (Exeggutor being the best Gen 1 grass type, Rhydon being the best Gen 1 ground type).

And to be fair, their movesets are a lot better in Firered/Leafgreen.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.