[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the Gen 7 starters the worst starters of all time? If not,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
Are the Gen 7 starters the worst starters of all time? If not, then who are?
>>
gen 5
>>
GEN 2
>>
>>26331409
gen 5
>>
>>26331409
I'm doing this scale in order of magnitude, so each > is 10x
LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SHIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GEN V
>>
i'd say gen 2
>>
>>26331409
gen 2
>>
>>26331409
Gen 5
>>
>>26331460
this 2bh
>>
>every reply so far is gen 5 or gen 2

wow for once /vp/ has good taste.
>>
>>26331460
I Concur
>>
Gen 4. Only gen where I boxed my starter. I didn't even let it stay in the box, I released it.
>>
Let's make this """""""official"""""" :^)

http://www.strawpoll.me/10214744
>>
>>26331409
Gen 5 or 6 are easily the worst groups overall. With these starters, I love Rowlet and Popplio and don't like Litten, but it's only the first stages so my opinion might go up or down depending on their later evos.
>>
I really fucking hate gen 4 starters
>>
Gen 5 is easily the worst. It's like they didn't even try to make any of them good.
>>
I don't totally get the hate for Gen 2 starters.

Overall they feel a bit boring, but I can't think of other reasons to dislike them.

Besides Typhlosion has the chubbiest belly. which makes him automatically best.
>>
>>26331509
I'm glad people realize that Gen V objectively had the worst starters.
>>
>>26331409
Gen 5 Has the worst starters.

I'm fairly open to all Pokemon designs, so much that I'd even go as far as say the Chikorita line is my favorite from Gen 2.

But Gen 5's starters are so underwhelming in both design and utility that it's honestly hard to choose between them simply because I don't care for any of them. That's something I couldn't say for any other gen. Gen 6 would've suffered the same fate if it wasn't for Froakie.

I find it upsetting because B/W2 are genuinely one of the best Pokemon games, yet the starters are so unappealing.
>>
>>26331592
Yup. BW2 is the first time I just flat out boxed my starter ASAP.
>>
>>26331409
Gen 4.
>>
Why do people say Gen 5 has the worst starters?

I'm not here to bait or troll or even argue, I just want to understand. I think the starters are all cute and Emboar and Serperior are awesome.

I guess I just have low standards--the only starter-line pokemon I dislike are Torchic's line, Fennekin's line, Chikorita's line, and Popplio.
>>
>>26331641
>Why do people say Gen 5 has the worst starters?

They're flat out worse than using in-game Pokemon except for arguably Oshawott in BW1.

Serperior is trash because it has no moves.
Emboar is disappointing because it's the third Fire/Fighting in a row.
Samurott is trash because it looks nothing like Dewott and a quadruped sword fighter doesn't work well.
>>
>>26331665
Oh, okay, so it's like a gameplay thing. I was thinking design-wise.

I do agree about Samurott though, it's kind of out there and would look way cooler as a bi-ped.
>>
>>26331641
They're barely useable in the main game thanks to really weird stat spreads and poor movepools. I also just don't like how any of them look, especially Samurott.
>>
Even though the Oshawott line is my favorite starter, it's Gen V
>>
Type-wise, gen II. Still cool design-wise though. I would argue maybe gen V, but not much.
>>
>people not saying gen 4 and saying gen 5

Snivy and Tepig are nice designs while literally all three of the starters from 4 are ugly
>>
>>26331641
Emboar and Serperior are inefficient in-game, Emboar and Samurott are inefficient in competitive, none of the three go well together visually let alone as a whole trio, their main thematic by premise alone makes them clash horribly
>>
>>26331734
>opinions
gen 5 starters are objectively bad from a gameplay perspective
>>
>>26331734
The gen 4 starters are great, though. Both the first and last stages.
>>
>>26331734
>people not saying gen 4 and saying gen 5
that's because gen IV has good starters and gen 5 does not
>>
What the fuck, gen V starters look great minus Samurott.
>>
>>26331409
I'd say gen 6 are the worst
>>
>>26331746
Out of curiosity, what is their main thematic?
>>
File: Bacon.png (71 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Bacon.png
71 KB, 250x250
What's the worst starter out of all of them and why is it this fuccboi?
>>
Even gen II has some viability. Gen V can't be saved
>>
>>26331829
Why is he bad aside from competitively? Samurott looks way worse.
>>
Out of curiosity, how's Contrary Serperior been doing in competitive?
>>
4th gen starters, followed by 5th gen

1st > 3rd > 2nd > 7th > 6th > 5th > 4th
>>
>>26331846
The only dual typed starter in gen 5 and what's worse is that it's yet another Fire/Fighting type.
>>
>>26331852
Given that Talonflame exists, probably badly.
>>
>>26331806
royalty
>Serperior is European
>Emboar is Chinese
>Samurott is Japanese
>>
Gen 6 obviously. Gen 1 is almost worse, though.
>>
File: 017791-shapes-smiley-face1.png (72 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
017791-shapes-smiley-face1.png
72 KB, 320x320
>>26331479
>2bh
Why are you typing like that?
Do you have water on the brain?
>>
>>26331894
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

Seems especially weird considering Unova is supposed to be 'merica.
>>
>>26331852
Good low ladder, not sure if it's any good higher in the ladder cause i'm a fucking scrub and i hear that tflam runs rampant higher in the ladder
>>
>>26331523
My thoughts exactly anon
>>
File: Turtwig-grotle-torterra.png (420 KB, 800x561) Image search: [Google]
Turtwig-grotle-torterra.png
420 KB, 800x561
>>26331869
Obvious bait
I don't give a shit about your opinions. Turtwig/Torterra are the best fucking starters of all time.
>>
>>26331979
I bet Torterra can live to 500

I want a treehouse in one
>>
>>26331829
Personally serperior is my least favorite design. Everything down to its color scheme is bland
>>
>>26331409
gen5
i liked the games tho
>>
>>26332004
I always have been and always will be a Fire Faggot, but man Torterra is just my favorite pokemon of all time.
>>
File: 1460504355185.jpg (31 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1460504355185.jpg
31 KB, 540x540
>>26331409
Gen 4. The only gen of where I legit disliked all the starters and chose one just to choose it
>>
>>26332204
>literally a penguin, a fire monkey and a turtle
Gen 4 starters are all great. Only starters where all three suck are gen 5. Gen 6 has Froakie at least, gen 7 has roothoot
>>
>>26331409

Gen 2. Easily.

Gen 5 at least has Serperior, since it can now be obtained with contrary in Gen 6, while all of Gen 2 starters were bad and still are. Meganium is just terrible, Typhlosion's only good thing is Eruption, which becomes useless as it's HP wears down while Feraligatr may be the only one decent, yet it's outclassed by Gyarados and still is(even more so since Gyarados has a mega).

>>26331584
>Overall they feel a bit boring, but I can't think of other reasons to dislike them.

That's easy, they weren't just terrible in their Generation, but they're still terrible while every other Gen had at least one viable starter (Gen 5 is no longer the worst since Contrary Serperior can at least be obtained in Gen 6 while all of the Gen 2 starters are terrible with Feraligatr being outclassed by Gyarados)
>>
>>26332325
well, in my previous statement, I really meant their final evos. I don't hate Piplup and Turtwig, but I feel like they could have looked better in their final forms
>>
>>26332338
HAs don't really count for in-game and Leaf Storm spam is a boring gimmick
>>
File: tumblr_maams9nr771qckwxco1_500.gif (1017 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_maams9nr771qckwxco1_500.gif
1017 KB, 500x332
The worst starters are argurably the Johto ones. I honestly don't understand the hate for the Unova starters. In most every game there are better Pokemon introduced that top the starters. A lot of Pokemon don't get to shine because they lack SCREEN-TIME. The Unova Starters' final evolutions were hardly shown at all in the BW anime. At least they tried and each starter was versatile. The johto ones are bland and don't change much, which you could argue is the theme but still.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.