[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the gen in which we get sound, the hypest of types?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: 1462915341221.png (152 KB, 600x200) Image search: [Google]
1462915341221.png
152 KB, 600x200
Is this the gen in which we get sound, the hypest of types?
>>
>>26325727

Sound-type isn't going to happen

- Would rob -ate users of their best move, Hyper Voice
- There are Sound-based moves that aren't Normal-type, like Grass Whistle, Bug Buzz, Chatter, and Metal Sound

Sound is an attribute, not an element
>>
No. Sound type is a shitty idea.
>>
I definitely wouldn't expect it to be a new type, but I wouldn't be opposed to it either
>>
>>26325727
Right after we get Makes Contact type.
>>
>hypest of types
nah, sound has always been regarded as stupid
>>
>>26325759
I agree it's not going to happen, especially not in Sun/Moon. But somehow it still seems like the most likely new type, at least more likely than Light or Cosmic or whatever meme type is popular at the moment.
>>
I strongly doubt we're getting a sound type any time soon if ever. It's just a property of certain moves of varying types and I think that works far better than making it a type.
>>
>>26325804
and a fist type
>>
>>26325847
Honestly, was "Fairy" a type anybody ever expected them to make of all the options there could have been? I don't know if it can be really judged based on what "seems most likely".
>>
How about Bread type Pokemon?

Weak against grass, water, steel, poison, flying

Strong against fighting (carbs) fairy (fairies are gluten free), fire (oven baked), and dark (the darkness cannot comprehend bread)
>>
>>26325727
What would you do to the special attackers that use Normal type moves to be good?
>>
>>26325855
That's fair. Let's say out of the types we have any reason to suspect being anything, Sound has the most going for it. It's hard to judge how likely something we are not even suspecting is.
>>
>>26325855
>Honestly, was "Fairy" a type anybody ever expected them to make of all the options there could have been?

Considering that we already had an entire egg group for Fairy-like Pokemon, it was easy to make. Hell, the Clefairy and Snubbull lines have been classified as "the Fairy Pokemon" since their introduction.

The problem with something like say, Light, as a type is that it's already covered by too many other types.

Counterpart to Dark (Evil) = Fighting
Magical/mystical: Psychic and Fairy
Actual light: Electric (Ampharos and Lanturn), Bug (Volbeat, Signal Beam, and Tail Glow), Steel (Flash Cannon), and Fairy (Moonlight, Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, Light of Ruin)

A lot of the Fairy retcons would make no sense if the type was called something else. That's why they went with Fairy; the series already had several Fairy-based Pokemon, so it was easy to retcon a bunch of old Pokemon into Fairy-types.
>>
>>26325957
Does the egg group actually have anything to do with it though? Why is Gardevoir fairy-type?
>>
>>26325957
Fighting isn't really any sort of counterpart to dark, I'd say fairy fits the bill better.
>>
>>26325977
The egg group does matter as a lot of Pokemon that gain the Fairy type were in the group and most of new fairies were added to it.

Gardevoir was likely made a fairy type for diversity and to pander to waifufags. Klefki isn't in the Fairy Egg Group either but it's still a Fairy.
>>
>>26326024
I'd say it's more like it just so happened lots of things in the fairy egg group were cutesy pink things that could be fairy type rather than the egg group actually having anything to do with it tbqh
>>
>>26326013
Fighting is the counterpart to Dark, especially in Japan. Dark is called the Evil type there and specializes in sneaky underhanded moves. Fighting in contrast represents honor and heroics. Why Dark is weak to Fighting.

While Dark and Fairy have more similarities than differences.
>>
Sound type only makes sense in a vacuum. Despite the existence of explicitly sound themed pokemon, sound moves, sound proof etc. Sound type can't exist purely because it has no meaningful interactions with any of the other types and type match ups would be impossible to come up with.
>>
>>26326058
I do think there is thematic differences and therefore what makes something a "Fighting type" as opposed to a "Dark type" but I strongly, strongly doubt there was any intention behind them being opposites. Also Dark is also weak to Fairy
>>
>>26326058
Dark's more diverse than "underhanded moves", and fighting isn't based on heroism so much as it is established fighting styles. And yes, I am referring to the Japanese, I speak Japanese and can play the games in Japanese and talk with Japanese fans.
>>
File: 1453834743819.jpg (51 KB, 500x503) Image search: [Google]
1453834743819.jpg
51 KB, 500x503
>>26325727
>hypest of types
>nobody outside of /vp/ even considers it
>>
>>26326056
That's pretty naive to think so when all the new fairies excluding Klefki are in the egg group. Also
>Mawile
>Togetic/Togekiss
>Whimsicott
have been in the egg group before XY.
>>
>>26326098
They would all be the in the egg group because they are all cutesy things which is what it meant to be in the fairy egg group
>>
>>26325727
Just turn your volume up. It's been there since Gen I.
>>
>>26325727
fairy types makes sense because it's somehow a counterpart for dark type. sound type only makes sense to retards. try name one possible physical sound attack you dipshit
>>
>>26326083
Typing weaknesses aren't random. And Dark is similar to Fairy. For an example.
>Charm, Fairy Move
>The user gazes at the target rather charmingly, making it less wary.
>Flattery, Dark Move
>Flattery is used to confuse the target.

>>26326086
The majority of Dark types moves are sneaky and underhanded. Stuff like Nasty Plot, Parting Shot, Fake Tears, etc.
And Fighting types are based on established fighting styles and are portrayed as more heroic than Dark. Why else is Dark weak to Fighting?
>>
>>26326109
So it's just a coincidence that the bulk of Pokemon retyped as Fairy were in the Fairy Egg Group and most of the new Fairy types were put in that group.
>>
>>26326121
kek
>>
>>26326181
Is it just a coincidence that most fairy-types retyped as fairy were cutesy things and that most new fairy-types were also cutesy things?
>>
>>26326170
Nasty Plot isn't underhanded fighting, it refers to planning a nefarious act. While there is certainly a sizable amount of pragmatism in dark attacks, there is also a sizable amount of attacks that don't fall into that category at all. Really, the Japanese name says exactly what it is.
>>
>>26326170
>Typing weaknesses aren't random
It's more like maybe 70% of them aren't random, the rest are for balance which is totally unrelated to flavor or are, in fact totally random or otherwise has the appearance of such
>>
>>26326190
And why do you think the Fairy Egg Group has no connection to the Fairy type?
>>
>>26326199
>Planning something sinister isn't related to underhanded fighting
Here's the Dark type moves that aren't pragmatic in any way:
>Bite
>Crunch
>Night Daze
That's it.

>>26326200
Not all the type weaknesses are as obvious as Water > Fire.
>>
>>26326260
>Not all the type weaknesses are as obvious as Water > Fire.
I'd like you to come up with a not-straw graspy explanation for every single type interaction.
>Have you ever punched a bird?
>>
>>26326260
Let's just ignore Dark Pulse, Night Slash(evil act, not pragmatic), Dark Void, Hone Claws, and a number of others I don't feel like trying to remember right now, then.
>>
>>26325759
Game freak doesn't care about people losing a single move they used competitively so that's not a very sound argument
>>
File: comic163b.png (203 KB, 650x1362) Image search: [Google]
comic163b.png
203 KB, 650x1362
>>26326294
>>
>>26326294
Did you forget we're talking about Dark and not Flying?

>>26326301
>Dark Pulse
>A horrible aura imbued with dark thoughts that can cause the target to flinch.
Making the target flinch is pragmatic.
>Night Slash
>The user slashes the target the instant an opportunity arises. Critical hits land more easily.
Being opportunistic is being pragmatic.
>Hone Claws
>The user sharpens its claws to boost its Attack stat and accuracy.
Raising your attack AND accuracy is pragmatic. There's a reason why it's a Dark type move.
>>
>>26326362
Oh, you don't even know Japanese and are going by localization. I think we're done here.
>>
Why do people still think light is happening? It would be the exact same thing as fairy with most likely different weaknesses. Light isn't referring to literal light it would be the "good" type, if it was literal light then dark wouldn't be the "evil" type it would be actual darkness.
>>
>>26325759
That's no argument. GF already added 3 types since the original 15, there's nothing stopping them from doing it again.
Alas I think Sun and Moon won't contain a new type just because they just did that. But if theoretically they wanted to add a new type already, or in GEN VIII, or whenever, the best guess is sound.
Granted that they can very well come up with a completely new type with completely new mons and moves never seen before (sorta like they did with dark) like dunno rubber type, but if they have to pick from the current meta as they did with fairy (which is there only to market at gays and females, don't care if they say otherwise, there's no problem with that, fairies are cute and it was refreshing after so many years having a new type), the best guess is sound. There are sound related pokemon, moves and abilities. Normal is already a sort of place holder for sound already.
>>
>>26326376
I never said Dark type wasn't the Evil type. I'm saying a lot of the moves are underhanded and pragmatic. Which you fail to refute.
>>
>>26326362
Did yo uforget you made the implication that every type had a reason for its weaknesses and resistances despite, even ignoring the oens that appear completely random, Steel, Dark, and Fairy all being engineered as balancers rather than having any significant flavor meaning? Why is Steel weak to Ground?
>>
>>26326362
Night Slash is based in the fact that back in medieval/feudal/whatever you want to name it-Japan, soldiers, samurai and other similar people went to small villages in the night and killed peasants just to test their swords.
>>
>>26326395

Because ground rusts steel.
>>
>>26326403
No it doesn't, water/moisture rusts steel
>>
>>26325855
Yes it was. Fairy was pretty obvious. We had the egg group already. I remember people calling the fairy type out as soon as Sylveon got revealed. And there's a reason the theory picked up even before the Aprile leak of that year, it was because fairy made sorta sense in the pokemon typing charts. As does sound for that matter.
>>
>>26326400
Are you saying testing your weapon against someone who stands no chance isn't opportunistic and pragmatic? While also being an evil shit?
>>
>>26326395
>Not all the type weaknesses are as obvious as Water > Fire.
doesn't mean
>All type weaknesses are obvious like Water > Fire.
>>
In my opinion the only fan made types that would work as real types are Sound,Cosmic, and Digital/Cyber
>>
File: Dark-type moves.png (126 KB, 1416x1275) Image search: [Google]
Dark-type moves.png
126 KB, 1416x1275
>>26326086

Prior to the Physical-Special split, Dark was purely underhanded fighting tactics, and had nothing to do with actual darkness. Hell, even after, only Darkrai and Dark Void, its signature move have any connection to darkness.

And the Justified ability, which raises Attack when a Pokemon is hit by a Dark-type Pokemon, is called Heart of Justice in Japanese, and is only given to noble Pokemon, most of which are Fighting-type.

>Arcanine - The Growlithe line are often used as police dogs in the Pokemon universe
>Absol - Is Dark-type itself, but tries to protect people and Pokemon from danger
>Lucario, Gallade, and Muskedeers: Self-explanatory

Dark is the pragmatic type that's willing to do whatever it takes to win, and Fighting is the noble and honorable type that plays by the rules.
>>
>>26326410
Only reason anybody guessed Fairy-type was because of leaks about Fairy being a new type.
>>
>>26326449
>>26326170
>Typing weaknesses aren't random.
>>
>>26326491
>>26326170 was in the context of Dark vs Fighting. As in Dark's typing weakness isn't random. Your reading comprehension needs work.
>>
>>26326540
No, the implication was that ALL typings weren't random, and you confirmed the implication by going to other types like Water > Fire. Nice backpedaling though
>>
>>26326408

Yes it does bro
Dirt fucking rusts shit
>>
>>26326565
>implication
That's why I mentioned context. Didn't think I had to spell it out for you.
>Backpedaling
wew
>>
>>26326573
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust
>>
>>26325727
Nah I think Sound makes sense as a secondary move property and as the general theme for Special Normal since every Pokemon has a cry.
>>
>>26325727
Normal has 66 Physical moves and 19 Special moves, but 7 of those special moves would become Sound type:
Boomburst, Echoed Voice, Hyper Voice, Relic Song, Round, Snore, Uproar

Only 12 special moves would remain Normal type:
Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Judgment, Razor Wind, Sonic Boom, Spit Up, Swift, Techno Blast, Tri Attack, Trump Card, Wring Out, Weather Ball

Of those Judgment and Techno Blast are exclusive to Arceus and Genesect; Sonic Boom does set damage (and might become Sound also), while Hidden Power isn't really a Normal move, leaving us with only 8.

Are we really okay with Normal only having 8 accessible special moves, yet 66 Physical moves?
>>
>>26326487
Absolutely not true. The leak arrived in April, and fairyfag popped up sooner.
>>
>>26326847
What I meant was rumors about a new type. "Marchen"/fairy tale type came in March. I think someone did draw a connection between all the cutesy pink normal types and Sylveon earlier though but I certainly don't recall anything about it "making sense" from a typing perspective nor was it the only or most popular guess so it wasn't "obvious" at all.
>>
>>26326725
Not to mention
>Hyper Beam and Razor Wind take an extra turn
>Spit Up requires Stockpile
>Swift is barely distributed as of Gen 5; I think Gamefreak wants "pure energy" attacks to fall under Special Fighting and for Special Normal's shtick to be sound
>Tri Attack makes no sense being widely distributed like Hyper Voice
>Trump Card and Wring Out aren't standard attacks
>Weather Ball changes type with the weather
>>
>>26325759
>Would rob -ate users of their best move, Hyper Voice
Good. Damn those broken-ass -ate abilities adding free life orb boost without that damage ON TOP OF STAB.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.