[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ice Type Changes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
What can GF do to make Ice more balanced defensively?

Why did they think it was a good idea to have a type with one resistance in itself, no immunities, and 4 very common weaknesses? Almost no secondary-typing can fix how shitty Ice's defenses are and in fact most good defensive types cause it to gain 4x weaknesses.

I propose:
>Add resist Grass
>Add resist Flying
>Add immunity to Ice (yes, make it the only type with an immunity to itself)

They need to do more to make Ice more defensively viable instead of making Ice-type glass cannons moving forward.

Opinions?
>>
>>26316169

>Remove Fighting Weakness
>Remove Water's resistance to Ice
>Resistant to Water
>Resistant to Fairy
>Resistant to Ground

>Make Hail heal all Ice types by 1/16th of their max HP every turn. Ice Body doubles this to 1/8th. Stacks with other forms of passive recovery.
>>
>>26316825

>make Ice OP

Okay anon...

>>26316169

My suggestion was as followed:
>Super Effective on Poison
>Resists Flying
>Resists Fairy

But this was paired with a Poison buff as well, so yeah, on its own, it makes Poison shittier.
>>
>>26316871

What's OP about it? Maybe a bit too much resistances (remove the fairy resist) but Hail is the only weather type that doesn't have a passive effect.
>>
>this again
Adding a bunch of resistances is not how ice is supposed to work, it's an offensively oriented type that's supposed to be bad defensively. Adding one resistance to a big type like fairy or ground would be enough, or removing one weakness

What ice types need are very good exclusive STAB moves that give you a reason to use them, rather than just Ice Beam which you can just use on heaps of other stuff
>>
Let me break it down for you:
>Resist Flying

Great idea.

>Resist Grass

Makes sense, but is unnecessary. It's not like any of them are threatened by Grass-types, and its just fucking over another type that gets the short end of the stick.

>Immunity to Ice

Retarded with very little benefits.

>>26316825
All of this is retarded except the resistance to Water.

>>26316871
>Super Effective on Poison

Nonsensical and unnecessary. Ice is one of the best offensive types, it genuinely doesn't need that.

>Resist Fairy

Doesn't really make sense, so this is would literally only be done to boost Ice and nerf Fairy.

>>26316907
No weather types heal Pokemon automatically.

Hail should be the counterpart to Sandstorm. It should boost Ice Defense by 50%.

What Ice also needs is a retooling of Freeze. Make it less crippling solely so it can be allowed to be more frequent. The fact we have a fucking Water-type move that can burn for 30% chance, but no Ice-type move that can Freeze for above 10% is unbalanced.

>>26317126
> it's an offensively oriented type that's supposed to be bad defensively

Shut the fuck up.

Literally all of the Ice-types in Gen I had good defenses, and the closest you got to a "speedy attacker" was Articuno (who was the slowest of a legendary trio).

If Ice wasn't supposed to be defensive, they wouldn't make so many fucking Ice-types defensively oriented.
>>
File: 1281651605474.jpg (28 KB, 553x414) Image search: [Google]
1281651605474.jpg
28 KB, 553x414
>resist grass

Please, anon, grass doesn't need any more nerfs. Have mercy!
>>
>>26317277
Who cares what the stats on gen 1 ice types were? All types have a variety of stat spreads on their Pokemon

I don't know how you can think that a type that's one of the most threatening offensively, yet only one resistance + 4 weaknesses, isn't intended as a "frail but strong" type.
>>
>>26317126

>it's an offensively oriented type that's supposed to be bad defensively.

That is not in any way supported by the vast majority of actual Ice-type Pokemon. Either Game Freak needs to adjust existing Ice-types, or Ice as a type needs to be adjusted to fit their design philosophy of what Ice is "supposed" to be.
>>
>>26317402
>I don't know how you can think that a type that's one of the most threatening offensively, yet only one resistance + 4 weaknesses, isn't intended as a "frail but strong" type.

Do you think Electric was intended as a defensive type?

It resists three types and is only weak to one.

Surely Electric is supposed to be defensive, and not fast attackers.

Or, let's look at Fire. A whopping SIX resistances, and only half as many weaknesses.

Fire definitely is intended to be for defenders, and not attackers.
>>
>remove weakness to Rock
>resist Flying, Water (Scald remains 1x effective)
>any Ice move that has a chance to freeze gains an increased 10% chance if used by an Ice type
>buff freezing status so a Pokemon cannot thaw on the same turn it is frozen
>>
>>26317476
They will just start banning Freeze, dude.
>>
resist water
resist ground
hail increases defense by 1.5
>>
make it super effective vs steel, resistant to fairy, poison and grass
>>
>all these people saying resist grass
why not make it resist bug too?
>>
>>26317557
Because bug REALLY doesn't need the nerf.
>>
>>26317560
and grass does?
>>
>>26317566
I'm not saying it does; I'm saying that, if anything, bug needs it less than grass.
>>
>>26317560
Neither does Grass.

Resisting Water, Ground, and Flying is both fucking amazing and completely makes sense. Everything else pushes it way too far.
>>
>add and remove a bunch of resistances/weaknesses to buff the type
Out of 6 generations we've only done this twice. And both times only really because we added new extra types. Steel lost 2 resistances because it gained a new one to fairy. And that was the only type chart change in that entire generation.

Just make good ice type Pokemon. Game freak thought Dragon was broken because of all the free psuedos and legendaries being good Pokemon despite their typings.
>>
>>26317613
There are good Ice Pokemon. None of them are good because of their Ice-typing.

If you don't give a shit about Ice-type, great. But it's fucked as a type.
>>
>>26317637
I would argue it benefits Weavile since it gets stab ice shard which is basically what you use it for, along with knock off.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.