[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did the trend of starters having some connecting theme start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
When did the trend of starters having some connecting theme start? I can't really see anything in gen 4, but gen 5 has rulers from different places in the world, and gen 6 had RPG classes and gen 7 might have a circus theme.

Are there any connecting themes in the earlier generations?
>>
>>26313527
First gen = Reptiles
>>
>>26313527
4th Gen = Ancient Legends
>>
>>26313527

Gen IV was national myths. Turtwig was based off of the world turtle, Chimchar off of Sun Wukong and Piplup off of Poseidon.
>>
>>26313680
Napoleon was a legend? Maybe you could say Poseidon was a legend because of the trident? reaching a bit. What is Torterra?

>>26313704
Is that official? Seems a big weak and disconnected.
>>
>>26313727
>What is Torterra?
A world turtle, which is a pretty common myth of the world being on the back of a giant turtle.
>>
No trend for earlier gens, but you can fucking bet people will start forcing ones to fit gens 1-4.
>>
>>26313777
7: Circus
6: RPG classes
5: Japan, China, and the West
4: Myths and legends
3: Egg-laying animals
2: The theme is that there is no theme1: Big reptilians
>>
Gen 5 - Europe, China and Japan
>>
It started back in Gen I when they decided they'd do a zodiac theme for the fire starters, prehistoric theme for the grass starters, and weapon theme for the water starters
>>
Gen 1 = Representative Reptiles (The Land Dinosaur, The Sky Lizard, The Sea Turtle)

Gen 2 = Species Timeline (Jurassic Saurischia, Cretaceous Crocodilia, Paleogene Mammalia)

Gen 3 = Egg-Laying Animals (Reptile, Avian, Amphibian)

Gen 4 = Mythological Deities (World Turtle, Sun Wukong, Poseidon)

Gen 5 = Kingdoms (French Royal, Chinese Soldier, Japanese Samurai)

Gen 6 = Fantasy Classes (Knight, Mage, Rogue)

Gen 7 = Circus Performers (Knife Thrower, Fire-Jump Tiger, Circus Sea Lion/Clown)
>>
>>26313527
Gen 5 & 6 are the only confirmed ones. I doubt GameFreak was thinking about themes for the starters before then.
>>
>>26313680
>>26313704
>>26313727
>>26313774
alternatively it could be Kings:
Empoleon is obvious
Infernape is Monkey King
And Torterra is the king of the land on it's back
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.