[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you play Pokemon competitively?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: vg-strategy-101-169.jpg (100 KB, 578x327) Image search: [Google]
vg-strategy-101-169.jpg
100 KB, 578x327
I think it would be really boring if you just buy the games just for the story mode, after all the games are incredible easy. But playing online and trying to win sounds like a chore with all the shit you have to learn to win against hardcore pokemon gamers.
>>
File: 1461812681277.jpg (125 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1461812681277.jpg
125 KB, 500x500
>>26313441
Learning competitive Pokemon is kind of a commitment, (not to a normal person, but it is for me and probably most of /vp), just like it is for any other competitive game. You have to decide whether the time it takes to git gud is worth the fun you'll have. I tried getting into CSGO, but I slowed down around Nova 4 and moved onto Pokeymans. I still really haven't stopped doing Pokemon, in fact I just finished doing one of Smogon's Battling 101 programs.

As long as you don't become a Karenfag, you're okay.
>>
I karenfag my way through the main game. Once I hit the Maison or a game's equivalent I start getting into gimmick/strategy mode. Usually helps as I'm a casual competitive player. No showdown or major tournaments for me but I show up at local ones here and there or battle with friends.
>>
I can't be bothered to cheat in legendaries, or use them to begin with. That and all the top teams have heavy similarities, sometimes down to the same team, and that just doesn't seem fun to me. I'm content with just playing the games, maybe battling my friends and shiny hunting for my favorites.
>>
>>26313441

No. I beat the game and then do the battle frontier/chateau. I usually spend a while breeding different parties for it.
>>
>>26313441
No one ever plays these games for the story. Not even children. However, there are those that are satisfied with only doing that. Boring, you say? Only if you play the game endlessly. Of course you will tire if you do that. True, a good game makes you want to play it again, but should you find yourself exhausted, it is time to put it down for a while. You won't do so, though. You play because you feel you have to. I will say no more, then.
>>
>>26313441
I play competitively. I'm a bit of a Karenfag in that I like to make underseen Pokemon work at the high level, but I'm not going to use a team exclusively of such Pokemon, because that's asking to lose.

I've gotten to the Top 10 on the OU ladder on multiple accounts. I tried to play VGC in 2014 but couldn't get the time to go to qualifying tournaments. The 2015 and 2016 seasons didn't look fun to play.

Examples with a Skuntank team:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-364533254
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-363370541

First is against stall, second against HO.
>>
Nah. I play it to collect and befriend Pokémon.
>>
Used to Comp VG, but I mostly play the TCG now. Giratina EX was here Night March is for baddies.
>>
>>26314508

I can't believe some people actually go through with tutors and programs like that. Anyone else here just get gud at every game naturally?
>>
>But playing online and trying to win sounds like a chore with all the shit you have to learn to win against hardcore pokemon gamers
Learning is the fun part, and playing ranked battles means you won't even be facing hardcore players when you start
>>
>>26313441
I play through the story mode and quit, mostly. I've caught 'em all a time or two, but that's it. I don't understand/have never touched any of the advanced aspects of the game including abilities, hidden abilities, EVs, non-type-boost held items, or buffs of any kind. I've never even bred my pokemon. Most of the time I play through the story mode by brute forcing everything with my starter, only swapping out for extra xp on something I'm trying to evolve. I am the most vanilla casual pokeplayer alive.
>>
I dabble. I did VGC until we got the wacky gen 6 metagames. Im doing cards until Sun/Moon VGC.
>>
>>26316487
I'm sure that guy you replied to is part of a minority that uses tutoring/programs. Most of the people I know progress on their own or watch Youtubers or know someone already good at the game as a reference or something.
>>
>you have to learn to win against hardcore pokemon gamers
No, in doubles you just randomly spam Protect and try not to get fucked by the oponent's Protect spam, and whoever """"""""""'predicts""""""""""" this shitfest best is going to be victorious.

For singles, replace Protect for Switch.
>>
>>26316589
>Anonymous 05/13/16(Fri)18:34:19 No.26314760▶
>>>26313441 (OP)
Watching competitive pokemon on youtube is pointless. If you don't know what is going on it all sounds like nonsense.
>>
>>26316601
>shitter who never got far enough to realize why Protect adds a big layer of strategy
wew
>>
Nah I'm not a nerd I'm a SEX-HAVER
>>
I have a perfect competitive build of every breedable fully-evolved Pokemon (and a lot of NFE Eviolite users). They have perfect IV sets, a notable number of them with specific Hidden Powers. All EV trained for the role I built them to fill.

I can mix and match them whenever I feel like having a new team.

This is all I do with my life.
>>
>>26316625
The person playing usually explains it to you. It's not like you're trying to make sense of it on your own.
>>
I'll admit to being a bit of a Karenfag; I like to force a few weaker Pokemon (like Raichu, my favorite, of which I've raised a special attacker AND a physical Volt Tackler).

However, I also go with some stronger ones, still Pokemon I like. (Dragonite, M-Char Y, M-Gardevoir, Gengar, and a few others)

I only play the more casual competitions, though. Can't stand the high-level stuff. I'll be in the Johto Classic. Never touching VGC.
>>
>>26314508
>>26314875
>>26317425
Karenfaging is most fun. Anyone who denys that is a spoil sport. Built anti meta teams.
>>
File: therethere.jpg (80 KB, 504x378) Image search: [Google]
therethere.jpg
80 KB, 504x378
>>26315253
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmvWPiV37BM
>>
>>26317856
Every Pokemon has a niche they can fill better than any other. It may be hard to find that niche, but it's there.
>>
File: 1462241176900.jpg (137 KB, 480x582) Image search: [Google]
1462241176900.jpg
137 KB, 480x582
>>26316487
>>26317856
>>26316589
I didn't do the program because I was bad or didn't know how to play well. In fact, I was floating around 1350 when I signed up. I signed up because I wanted to get better. And now, I have a much better understanding of the metagame, teambuilding, decision making, and prediction.

And by the way, how is watching Youtuners better? Are you not learning different play styles, new teams, etc? You're doing the same thing that I did, only you're learning less.
>>
>>26313441
I play competitive but not online comp.
I have 20 friends who do a big nuzlocke run with 1v1 battles after each gym.
So... In a sense, yes.
>>
>>26318820
Youtubers get more intense battles and use a greater variety of Pokemon, and are far more comfortable using predictive reasoning.
>>
No, I just raise boxes of various e.v trained mons that I never actually use and grind the battle facilities. Currently breeding my fourth Espeon.
>>
I sure do. I started playing competitively about 3 years ago. It all started very casually, I got back into Pokémon and discovered what natures and base stats were.

I used to avoid EV and IV related things because I thought it was unnecessary. How wrong I was. I was being utterly destroyed in my first online battle.

I took some time to focus on EVs firdt, and it was really, really easy to my surprise. IV breeding, however, felt like some vague hardcore thing.

It took me a while to get started on IV breeding, but after playing around with it a bit I understood the principle. The only thing that made it seem so scary was the time it would take to breed a perfect mon. A lot of people online said that it would get better and easier the longer you breed. Thry said you'll build up a nice collection of parents which you can use later as well. And they were right. Breeding my first competitive mon took me 3 days. My most recent competitibe mon took me 2 hours.

The only thing keeping people back is a little bit of commitment, but once you get the hang of it, it's no chore at all. I also developed an interest in breeding competitive shinies, but it can be a real pain due to the loe chances of getting 31IVs in exactly the right stats. Not to mention Hidden Power breeding.. *shudders*. I had to breed 4 shiny Manectrics until I had a Hidden Power Ice one with the correct IVs. It took me about a year. Which seems crazy, even for me.

What it all comes down to is that you should decide what Pokémon you want and how much you are willing to do for it. Competitive battling/breeding can be very time consuming, but it is so easy and repetitive that you can do it while watching tv or something similar.
>>
>>26322160
You know all the people you are playing against are just injecting right?
>>
I played OU/UU back in 2010-2012 on PO and early showdown.

Never got into Gen 6 meta.
>>
I got into it when Gen 6 came out because of how straight forward it was (convenient breeding tools + Super Training) but got bored after a little bit, my friends didn't really commit to the game and I didn't wanna play online cause there's too many tryhards after the initial "10 year olds using Mewtwo" wave left.
>>
>>26313441
>VGC
>Competitive
>>
>>26322893
vgcfags and smogonfags are both competitive, just different styles.

smogon excels for single battles, but vgc will always excel in doubles
>>
>>26314875
I liked the part where he clicked Scald against Conkeldurr.
>>
I play competitively with my own team. Fuck Smogonbabbies and their autism.
>>
>>26316689
I dunno about perfect builds but I have at least A build mapped out for every pokemon. It's all I did when I was up for 40 hours experimenting on drugs.
>>
Competitive Pokemon is so boring to me. Would replay the game 5 times in a row rather than playing competitive.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.