[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ken Sugimori vs Yusuke Ohmura
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Sugimori and Ohmura.png (336 KB, 486x427) Image search: [Google]
Sugimori and Ohmura.png
336 KB, 486x427
Who is the better illustrator/designer?
Ohmura designs more and more every generation, characters (Bianca, Skyla...more) and many Pokémon (he designs the water starter since generation 4 and probably he creates Popplio). Looks like Ohmura draw the Pokémon Artworks now too, what happend? Why do Sugimori stop with this?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/User:Altruis/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_their_designers
>>
>>26302009
Sugimori is a hack

Ohmura was hired to emulate a hack
>>
>>26302009
Does Sugimori even design many Pokemon anymore? I got the impression he did so only rarely and mostly for special ones. Pokemon are designed by a lot of different people are probably just refined and parried down by main artists like Yusuke and the others. I don't even think Sugimori has done the art in a while either which is also a mixture of people. Isn't his title officially an art "director" now or something?
>>
>Ariga designed Mega Beedrill

I can see it

I can totally fucking see it
>>
>>26302075
I can't wait for Arigas Gen 7 Pokémon.
>>
>>26302295
Just looked at his whole list and each one was awesome. Aurorus feels like the one I like the least but still okay
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 380x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 380x1024
>>26302009
Who's the one who designed this qt? Whichever one designed her is my favorite.
>>
>>26302009
This list is ignorant of the fact there are other designers just as capable.

Takao Unno did the work for HGSS but a lot of it is attributed to Sugimori.

Kanako Eo makes a fine assistant character designer for Ohmura when he's doing his own thing. She specializes in cutesy but sensible work.

Ariga does was at being the "new" Sugimori a little better than Ohmura yet still a little more distinct than either.

Megumi Mizutani is a little of Ohmura and a little Sugimori seeing how she does a good job drawing Skyla and Winona respective of their artists with a little more flair.

nagimiso.sys should become a regular too, I've seen his Magma and Aqua card art and he'd ought to do more contract work for Pokemon when he's not busy with Vocaloid and stuff.
>>
>>26302009
>http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/User:Altruis/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_their_designers

All I'm seeing from that list is that Nishida, Ohmura, and Ariga are the best designers.
>>
File: 1316177738396.jpg (8 KB, 277x238) Image search: [Google]
1316177738396.jpg
8 KB, 277x238
>>26302009
Honestly, it looks like they're slowly phasing Sugimori out. Dude's getting old as fuck and probably wants to retire eventually.
>>
>>26302009
If Ohmura designed Popplio then he is unforgivable.
>>
>>26302362
This is unmistakably Sugimori's design and artwork.
>>
>>26304175
How so? Not questioning just curious
>>
>>26304194
You can tell Sugimori designs by the way he draws the eyes and mouth, mostly. Also the poses of the hands and the way they're drawn, the overall coloring/shading, and the shoes, too, believe it or not.

But overall it's the eyes and mouth that sell it, Ohmura doesn't draw anything like Sugimori even though it's similar.
>>
>>26304226
Comparisons and examples? Also shows are aspect of the character design and not necessarily the artist unless you meant the shape or something.
>>
>>26304250
Sugimori designs shoes considerably "less-fashionable" than Ohmura does. He usually makes them look like featureless blocks, like May's in that picture are roundish yellow shoes with nothing interesting going on. See this thread:
>>26299367

Here are two pictures of N, a character designed by Sugimori.
Here is his BW artwork, done by Sugimori:
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/95666/1896500-n_pokemon_black_white_trainer_unova_leader.png

And here is his BW2 artwork, done by Yusuke Ohmura.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SOB-jSndago/VXx-xXMTC-I/AAAAAAAAAAA/aVOr02cJ7No/s1600/Black_2_White_2_N.png

As you can see, Sugimori's lines aren''t as sharp or clean, and his coloring is way more dull as compared to Ohmura who's coloring is vibrant and lush with very clean, sharp lines.

As for character designs, look at Hilbert and Hilda, who are designed and drawn by Sugimori, and then Nate, Rosa, and Hugh, who are designed by Ohmura. The coloring, lines, shading, etc are all vastly different as well as the faces, poses, and expressions. Ohmura draws eyes and mouths significantly different than Sugimori does and both styles are actually really distinct and once you pinpoint them they're easy to point out.
>>
>>26304366
Ohmura seems to be all over the place as far as design goes, especially with people. I mean, Nate and Rosa are both abominations.
>>
>>26302009
What's the point of splitting lines up between people? Seems like a good way to insert some random risk into your designs.
>>
>>26304653
Sometimes it might be to fill a hole, sometimes it's for a fresh perspective, sometimes maybe an old design was tossed out for the other guy's. Lots of reasons. Art and designs are generally similar enough due to homogenization in their final states that it's not an issue I don't think.
>>
Fuck Sugimori. Every single gen he finds a line to completely shit fuck. He goes "Oh, these two pokemon in this line look great. Let me make the third look like a massive piece of shit that shits on the rest of the line because fuck me"

Fuck sugi.
>>
>>26302009
Is there a List of the designers?
Because i just know 3 or 4
>>
Sugimori is a worthless piece of shit.

Yusuke Ohmura all the way.
>>
File: 1441420052913.png (996 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1441420052913.png
996 KB, 1280x1280
>>26304366

>Sugimori's lines aren''t as sharp or clean, and his coloring is way more dull as compared to Ohmura who's coloring is vibrant and lush with very clean, sharp lines.

So that confirms it, the new official art for the Gen 7 Pokemon are done by Ohmura. I had the feeling the second I saw them.

Sugi barely made it through the XY development. Sugi is done.
>>
>>26304790
Wow. Actually, now that you mention it, that totally looks just like Ohmura's art. I never considered he would do the art for the Pokemon.
>>
>Reminder that Sugimori is often miscredited
>Reminder that the cards prove many artists such as Mizutani and nagimiso can imitate him with little problem.
>>
>all these children hating on Sugi

"I WANT MY MONS TO LOOK LIKE CARTOON NETWORK ARTISTS COLORED AND LINED THEM! FUCK WATERCOLORS AND REAL ART DONE BY HAND!!1"
>>
>>26306422
You're a little too invested in a franchise about battling monsters, aren't you?
>>
>>26306465
>saying that on /vp/ of all places
>>
>>26306422
Sugimori hasn't done that style of watercolor art for years.
>>
>>26306465
>>>/out/
>>
Sugimori is one of the guys who sticked to this series from the very beginning. I wonder if this is the generation were Ohmura follows in his footsteps completely.

Can someone help me analyse the new starters art to figure out who drew them.
>>
>>26302009
Why not both? Sugi designs top tier females, this guy is good too. The more good illustrators we have the better
>>
>>26307663
>Snivy line, saying it was based on French royalty and partially inspired by an anime called the Rose of Versailles
I remember this because I remember thinking it was so fucking obvious once it was brought to your attention. It just feels like it.
>>
>>26304419
This 100%. It's the eyes that get me.
>>
>>26307068
Cleaner lines, darker and more vibrant colors...looks like Ohmori to me.
>>
>>26304790

>Sugi barely made it through the XY development.

this is the second time I read this meme here
on XY he drew

>MCs
>MC's friends
>AZ, Lyssandre
>gym leaders
>elite 4
>all the new pokemon artwork (not the promotional art)

how is that "barely made it"?

in ORAS he did

>MCs
>some trainers
>maxie
>all the new pokemon art

it wasnt stated but sort of implied that he designed mega metagross onan interview

btw drawing a character =/= design one.
also, even if you can tell who drew something you can't tell who designed what. we know so little and there are very few official sources stating who designed what pokemon.
>>
>>26304083
>japan
>retire
kek
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.