[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The real life inspirations for Unova, Hoenn, and Alola to scale
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10
The real life inspirations for Unova, Hoenn, and Alola to scale with one another.

Make of this as you will.
>>
>>26295950
6/10 too much water-IGN
>>
A lot of creative liberties will have to be taken for Alola being literally being a straight line.
>>
>>26296021

Regarding that, its not just that there was "too much water", but that they did nothing to make navigating it better.

They could have done like the sand in Unova and make only certain shaded water have pokemon encounters in it.

They could have added an option for a close up map on the lower screen to make it easier to tell where you were exactly in the water.

And they could have replaced the HM function for DIVE with a "Devon underwater propulsion unit" to use one less HM spot.

They failed to do any of this.

And mind you, I'm someone who enjoyed ORAS more than X and Y and actually do like it.
>>
>>26296092
I'm not a single-islandfag but I wonder how they're going to fit 8 gyms/cities onto Alola. The starter island is honolulu, and juding by that I can see about 4 or 5 cities. Maybe throw in Pacifidlog 2.0, but event then you're short.

Here's hoping there's interesting island hopping mechanics and not just endless surfing with random encounters
>>
>>26295950
Hoenn included the island chain underneath Kyushu
>>
>>26295950
Therefore Alola will actually be a pretty big region, right? I mean what is presumed to be the starting island (Oahu) is a little bigger than the entirety of New York City. And if it's safe to assume they are indeed using every island in Hawaii as inspiration then we could actually be in for quite a big region.
>>
>>26296109
>this
I don't hate surfing. I don't think anyone really hates surfing.
We fucking hate random interruptions for no reason. Especially when they're so low level and monotonous mons there's no reason to even fight.
Get rid of random encounters. Show shapes floating around beneath you. Even something like Animal crossing deep sea diving would be good.
>>
>>26296133

Well if anything, Unova proves they don't give a flying fuck about keeping everything to actual scale.

And in ORAS, the map of Kalos you soar over is absurdly out of scale, if your character could walk on that it would make Godzilla look like a small dog in comparison.
>>
>>26296181
>ORAS, the map of Kalos
You mean Hoenn Anon.
>>
>>26296181
Yeah that's true. But they at least kept the right shape so they're gonna have to pull some wonky shit. I assume you mean Hoenn in Oras. That is true, but I honestly think fly should be replaced with that, just no Latias this time
>>
>>26296206

Sorry, I'm multitasking and fucked up.

Also, we didn't get Soaring in XY because GF didn't want to have to commit to depicting "europe" outside of France.
>>
>>26296092
Oh boy I didn't even think of that.

W-What if it's like GSC, how Ecruteak offered a branching path? What if we get to island hop at out leisure?

I need to stop dreaming, and start drinking.
>>
>>26296218

i agree that soaring should be the standard for flight, with only letting the player land in places they've visited to on land before.

but there needs to be a "quick fly" option where you can just quickly pick the town or location from a map an instantly be there as well.
>>
8 islands. 2 Badges on 1 island, other 6 over 6 islands. Final island reserved for Elite Four.
>>
>>26296133
If they scale up the smallest islands so they have their own towns, and put two or three cities on the biggest island, I can see enough places for 8 gyms and the league.
>>
>>26296236
you know, with the mega latis being in XY's code, I'd actually be willing to believe that.

>>26296218
>>26296257
As long as its still a key item, that was the best part about Soar.
>>
File: 800px-Alola_alt.png (547 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
800px-Alola_alt.png
547 KB, 800x450
>>26296302
That kind of works but that leave no room for anything else except the volcano on the big island.
Keep in mind we've already seen the 2nd biggest island and it only has room for a small town and maybe 2 routes. Plus that means no post-game town. We've never had a region where there's only enough towns for gyms.

>>26296257
Yeah that would be best
>>
>>26296257
Could it be possible that they were just testing out the Soar mechanic in ORAS but it's actually supposed to be a Gen 7 mechanic? It's not like this is the first time they've introduced a mechanic in one game and then it turned out to be overhauled in another game. For instance they had a happiness mechanic in Yellow specifically for Pikachu and then in Gold and Silver we had happiness actually implemented for every Pokemon, with DPPt we had the Amity Square where we could walk around with a few specific Pokemon then in HGSS we could walk around with every single Pokemon. It's basically the same thing with Soaring, in ORAS we could only use it with the Mega Lati's but in Sun and Moon we could maybe do it with almost every Flying-type or Pokemon able to use Fly.
>>
>>26296402
That kind of makes sense. Every video in existence has features that were partially finished but not polished to make it into the final game.
Let's hope they take their 20th anniversary games seriously
>>
>>26296380
>only has room for a small town and maybe 2 routes
Actually I see places for at least four towns on this island. The starting town, the city there, a town in the top left, and another behind the mountain range where you see a Pokemon Center.
>>
>>26296453
I kind of want to call you a faggot but I might be misunderstanding you.
MSpaint some red circles so I can see these 4 hidden cities
>>
Daily reminder that if Oblivia can do proper island-hopping, so can Alola.
that game also featured flying in the sky to locations
>>
>>26295950
Oh look, another shit region with tons of water confirmed

Rev up those Super Repels
>>
>>26296540
1. The starting town.
2. Big city, possibly location of first gym.
3. Small town, you can see at least three to four buildings.
4. Random Pokemon Center just on its own, seemingly a few routes away from the small town, possibly more buildings hidden behind the mountain range.

See what I mean now? Also the trailer seems to suggest there are at least 2 Routes between the starting town and the end of the dirt path that leads into the city.
>>
File: alola-towns.png (577 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
alola-towns.png
577 KB, 800x450
>>26296709
Fuck I forgot the image, here we go, my bad.
>>
>>26296709
>>26296726
Okay I see the starting village and city now, but I reeaally doubt the other two are actually towns.
This island should have the first gym, professor's house and all that beginning stuff. That still only leaves us with one badge from this island though. Maybe two.
>>
>>26296858
They aren't, the region has multiple islands. Look up any site that lets you pre-order, they specifically say that you get to "embark" on a journey and explore the "tropical islands of a new region"
>>
>>26296909
Yes definitely multiple islands. But this is one of the bigger islands. So the biggest island could have 2, and all of the other not-tiny ones could have another badge. At most.
That's still only 6 with no pokemon league. And I bet at least of the islands will be uninhabited mostly because legendaries or safari zone.

My point is that I don't think there's enough land for 8 badges and a league given the scale they've started.
>>
>>26296726

i think people are underestimating the scale of the island in relation to an individual person within the game, and there will be at least one island notably bigger than this depending on what liberties they want to take with the geography of hawaii.
>>
Someone in another thread had an idea for the elite four to be on a cruise ship. That could free up one of the islands. Or maybe some kind of "sea mauville" ocean liner.

Personally, I hope the evil team(s) use a fleet of ships to enforce their plans, like a pirate/navy.
>>
>>26295950
This is why I dont understand why people say the Pokemon world is 1:1 with the real world in locations.

The geography is different in size, shape and orientation so there's no reason its the same for location
>>
File: hawaiimap1.gif (12 KB, 349x251) Image search: [Google]
hawaiimap1.gif
12 KB, 349x251
>>26297090
Except the island in the trailer is only Oahu, which isn't much bigger than the other islands and is tiny compared to the Big Island which isn't shown. The Big Island is large enough for 2, maybe even 3 gyms and is certainly where the Legendaries will be.
>>
>>26296133
There's only 3 cities there anon. The starer town, the city from the trailer and another town at the top of the island. 3 towns, two Pokemon Centers.
>>
>>26296092
If Alola is based of the main island of hawaii, its notable that the main island's main road is a two hour round trip cricle.
>>
>>26296181
"if your character could walk on that it would make Godzilla look like a small dog in comparison."

Macrofag here, thanks for the visual
>>
>>26296257
I don't want Soaring to be standard.

It will reveal how the region looks before we get to the places. You can see from the trailer than the models from overhead are already much more detailed.
>>
>>26297204
But all the other islands have very few towns. Two of them are even closed to tourists.
Don't let the Big Island fool you. Apart from Mauna Kea, there aren't many things there.
>>
File: 1463086070567.png (651 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1463086070567.png
651 KB, 800x450
I was bored so i made a thing, dunno what to make of it though
>>
>>26297258

Sorry about the mess. Would you like me to clean that up for you?
>>
>>26295950
Your arrow is pointing at the wrong island.
The part of Alola we have seen is clearly Oahu.
>>
>>26296109
There's not really any need to it's fairly simple to navigate especially in Hoenn where the dive spots are.
>>
>>26296133

You're assuming that there will be 8 gyms. I doubt they would change that tried and tested formula, but with a new generation all bets are off.
>>
>>26297337
well if they do a decent job, it would be like looking at someplace from a plane as opposed to really being there, having traveled around the world alot IRL, its night and day difference

but i'm a faggot that actually went out of my way not to look at the in-game map of hoenn back when i first played Gen 3 on the GBA so I can relate.
>>
>>26297468
>but with a new generation all bets are off.
You seriously think they're even going to consider discarding that part?
That would be like removing Pikachu.
>>
>>26297387
You forgot the center at the top

>>26297372
The games just take the region's shape and a few landmarks. That's it. Towns can go anywhere.
>>
>>26297372
I grew up there in Kona (living on Oahu now), there's more natural beauty and diverse locations there than the other islands, you have Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, Kilauea, the City of Refuge (old Hawaiian ghost town), Rainforests in Hilo, ranchlands in Waimea, deserts north of Kona, Waipi'o Valley...

Believe me, there's more there than Gamefreak will put on all the islands combined.
>>
>>26296726
So we don't think that this is where the first half of the game could take place with the last half being a bunch of island hopping?
>>
File: 13369333489352.jpg (167 KB, 659x539) Image search: [Google]
13369333489352.jpg
167 KB, 659x539
>>26297525

Oh wow an actual Hawaiian. I think you're the first since Hawaii was confirmed.

No with the level of detail GF puts into bringing out the spirit of the actual locations they visit into the game areas, they're gonna have a ball with Hawaii.

Have fucking fun when this game comes out dude.
>>
>>26297613
I'm pretty hyped, but I know they'll have to cut and leave some parts out. Still, I think they'll do the islands justice enough and, at least among my friends, we're all very hyped.
>>
>>26297714

I just hope someone does something like this once the games and anime come out.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5C7DB62FB28BD41C
>>
>>26297789
I might be able to get a picture of the Volcano you can see in the trailer in a minute or two.
>>
File: mauna-kea-snow.jpg (81 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
mauna-kea-snow.jpg
81 KB, 1000x750
>>26297204
I'm gonna be pissed if there isn't some event on top of the snowy mountain about an observatory.
>>
>>26297920

get a piece of paper and timestamp it if you do
>>
>>26297943
They will. Only reason I can think to not include the observatory is because of the recent dispute over the 30 meter telescope being built, which is still a political sore spot.
>>
>>26297204
Even with your estimates, let's look at what we'll need to cram onto these islands.
>8 gyms
>10-19 town and cities, likely more since we've had a constant upward trend
>pokemon league with victory road
>safari zone of some kind
>some kind of mega-dungeon or evil lair for the box legends
That's not even including post game town/battle resort, hidden legendary routes and the need for land routes to space out towns. The route between the starter town and first city is always the bare minimum length.
>>
>>26297204

is there a reason the Big Island never got a "proper" name?
>>
>>26296171
They dont have repels in the game for nothing
>>
>>26298084
That's literally an item to make you not have to experience part of their game design. That's a huge red flag that a mechanic is poorly made.
>>
>>26298053
>>26298053
>That's not even including post game town/battle resort, hidden legendary routes and the need for land routes to space out towns

Good, because we likely won't be getting any with John "gamers are literal babies who don't like challenge and going on past the E4" Gamefreak leading the development.
>>
>>26298077
The Big Island's name is Hawai'i, which confuses the hell out of foreigners. The state is named after the one island, so to make things easier on everyone, we simply call it the 'Big Island.'
>>
>>26298049
they included pearl harbor

i don't think they will be holding back on anything
>>
I feel like soaring, while it would make sense, wouldn't work too well, at least if it's the primary travel method between islands. It just would seem odd that you could see the whole region and fly over each of the routes/islands/towns/whatever, but couldn't land in any of them until you visit it on foot. Yeah, the limitation would be there for a functional reason, but it makes no logical sense and would just remind the player they're being railroaded through a game.
>>
>>26298145

>The Big Island's name is Hawai'i

Well fuck me, that's simple enough.

I'm calling them "the Hawaiian islands" from now on, I'm a stickler for accuracy.

Sort of reminds me of how Earth's satellite is literally named "Moon", and we call the satellites of other planets "moons", so then people ask "Why doesn't Earth's moon have a name?"
>>
>>26298250

>"You haven't visited that location yet, so you couldn't find a safe place for your Pokémon to land."
>>
>>26298123
There's at least going to be a battle maison place that's only accessible through post-game.
>>
File: IMG_20160512_125732625.jpg (3 MB, 5344x3006) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160512_125732625.jpg
3 MB, 5344x3006
>>26298015
Ok so it's hard as fuck to see it cause it's off in the distance (timestamp made the shot sorta difficult) but that's Diamond Head. That Volcano is dormant now, and is a popular hike. Also used to be a military base. I'll reply with a more zoomed in pic.
>>
>>26298466
Why does real life look like a render?
>>
File: IMG_20160512_130142696.jpg (4 MB, 5344x3006) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160512_130142696.jpg
4 MB, 5344x3006
>>26298466
>>
>>26298053
We really don't need an upward trend. Route numbers dropped twice after Hoenn.
>>
>>26298486
Through the shit windshield of my truck, errything looks bad.
>>
>>26298466
I live on an island about 1/4th the size of the Big Island. There are bridges to the mainland, but they're all about 50 miles from where I live, and I can see the mainland from the beach which is about a 20 mile ferry ride away.

All that is to say, I have lived on an island my entire life that I've seldom left, but I never felt at all isolated from the mainland.

So I've always been fascinated and sort of intimidates by the idea of just being out in the middle of the ocean, even if the actual landmass itself can be sprawling in comparison to a single person, just the idea that the rest of the world is so far away.

I dunno.

Thanks for sharing with us.
>>
>>26298466
>>26298493
It's cool that the internet connects people from all over
>>
>>26297518
honestly i think it looks kinda different from the pokemon center, maybe it's a lighthouse and the fog is just covering the higher part, could be wrong though
>>
>>26298558
Its really not that bad. After 21 years, it can feel so small, though. It makes you long to see the rest the world has to offer, but you can't without traversing that ocean (and plane tickets aren't cheap these days). But then you go elsewhere, and you realize that it doesn't get much better than home. That's why you rarely see Hawaiians anywhere else. They don't want to leave.
>>
>>26295950
I still can't get over what a shitty choice gen 5 was.
Not opposed to US, but a more diverse and interesting real life area could have been used.
>>
>>26298115
This post is a huge red flag that you're an autist.
>>
>>26298558

with all the dumb shit the US spends money on, subsidized airfare to the mainland us for Hawaiians and Alaskans should be part of that.

it was their dumb ass idea to have full fledged "overseas homeland" for the first time of any nation-state in modern history, rather than establishing them as colonies or commonwealths, i couldn't even imagine feeling emotionally connected to the US if i was in Alaska or Hawaii.
>>
>>26298466
What Island anon? I'm on Oahu, Wahiawa.
>>
>>26298493
Hawaii Kai? lol I just finished finals today at UH
>>
>>26299023
I don't think either of us do. I'm Alaskan, and we have a history dating back before statehood of independence and secessionist feelings.
>>
>>26299326

There's no legitimate reason for Hawaii or Alaska to be part of the US, but i can't see any independence scheme that wouldn't result in an instant third world country and riots demanding rejoining the union.
>>
>>26299496
Yeah, but we keep gradually building a bigger population and stockpiling more guns. We've also made important roads with oil companies and mining conglomerates. I'm not saying we are going to revolt, but I also don't think the federal government is going to last much longer and I think we at least stand a chance of survival. If it happens, I hope we can emerge a republic in the spirit of the old America, before the Empire.
>>
>>26299093
This anon >>26299116 got it right.

This thread is a /Hawaii/ thread now
>>
>>26299621

Scotland fag here. Wishing you the best.
>>
>>26298180
suicidal lati postgame confirmed?
>>
>>26299640
Nice lel
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.