[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are the newer rivals not allowed to be as competent as Blue?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8
File: RivalBlue.png (658 KB, 927x1548) Image search: [Google]
RivalBlue.png
658 KB, 927x1548
Why are the newer rivals not allowed to be as competent as Blue?
>>
>>26286354
The only time rivals have ever been challenging is when half your team is paralyzed and at half health after a long route
>>
Because people now adays dont want their feewings hurt. And everything offends everyone. And the world had evolved into a giant vagina.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160512-005551.png (293 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160512-005551.png
293 KB, 2048x1536
>>26286354
>Gary
>competent
>>
Because no one could ever measure up to Blue's villainy so they don't even try
>>
None of them are competent because you beat them easily. They just have varying levels of incompetence with Gary being the least incompetent. Being the best of the worst isn't something worth celebrating.
>>
>>26286385
>>26286382
>>26286378

Ok I'm implying a lot of things, but I guess OP means it in the sense they are actually doing stuff on the story, Blue won the league and beat all the gyms before the player.

Of course all rivals will get defeated by the player cause they are obstacles to overcome for the game to go on. But it feels like every rival now is a friend, and even acknowledged as "bad trainers", Bianca and most of the XY crew were like that, rival Callem/Serena felt like they would go into suicide watch any second.
>>
they need to stop having more than 1 rival, also N is the best rival if he counts
>>
>>26286354
There hasn't been a true rival since Gen 2.
>>
>>26286425
This a thousand times over
>>
>>26286425
>But it feels like every rival now is a friend

Refer to >>26286463
>>
I used to have a harder time with silver only if I choose Chikorita as my starter.
>>
>>26286425
Hugh was a competent bro though.
>>
Id rather have a rival i love to hate again.
>>
>>26286385
1st gen genius
>>
>>26286461
Of course he counts
>>
If they actually made another competent rival, people would bitch about "genwunner pandering" and call whoever it is a shitty Blue knockoff. You can't win with this fanbase.
>>
>>26286461
N was legit batshit crazy.
Also very poorly written.
>>
>>26287597
Elaborate on the poorly written bit, I want to see your silly, subjective arguments.
>>
>>26287619
He constantly contradicted himself and his whole "drama" was very forced.
>>
>>26286354
I dunno, Silver can rock you early if you aren't careful. But I see your point.
>>
>>26287638
>He constantly contradicted himself
How?
>His whole "drama" was very forced.
Again, how? that's not an argument
>>
>>26286940
He didn't feel like a rival at all. Just someone who's gotten caught up in the Plasma mess.

Plus his dialogue is like something straight out of a fanfic. muh rage muh pain
>>
>>26286425
I'm an interview they went over the fact that gamefreak doesn't want the player to have a direct competitor, moreso along the lines of rather having a friend who helps push you to succeed.
Tl;dr never ever again
>>
>>26286891
But starting with the grass type is always hard mode.
>>
>>26287934
Someone's never started from Pallet
>>
>>26287956
I did, and while it does make the first two gyms (arguably first three) every gym afterwards fucks you sideways.
>>
>>26287968
>not having a fleshed out team by Erika
>>
>>26287983
Again, I did, but back then, a lot, if not the majority of people, solo'd the game with their starters.

It's like you never experienced the Pokemon craze and only played RBY as a ROM.
>>
>>26286354
You want the legitimate answer?

From a character perspective, Japanese children don't like these kinds of characters anymore.

From a gameplay perspective, children worldwide are shown to be adverse to challenge and will stop attempting to clear roadblocks unless forced. So something like Blue showing up at Celadon city before you reach the pokemon centre and kicking your ass doesn't entice the audience to keep playing, it makes them want to drop the game altogether.

And they can't really be blamed. Why beat your head against a wall when they can watch how their favourite youtuber (in the west) cleared it or play something simpler on their phone (in the east).
>>
>>26288007
>So something like Blue showing up at Celadon city before you reach the pokemon centre and kicking your ass doesn't entice the audience to keep playing, it makes them want to drop the game altogether.
Thank god that never happened. This is why people started to hate Bluefags recently, they make up things to inflate their character.
>>
>>26287997
I was five and, granted my starter was over-leveled, wasn't inane enough to solo the game with it. Sorry you were such an uninspired kid :/
>>
>>26288019
>:/
Stop this.

Again, I said I -didn't- exclusively use my starter, but that most people did.
You need to develop your reading comprehension.
Besides, you got your leaks, it's time to leave.
>>
File: 1463040707803.png (208 KB, 501x506) Image search: [Google]
1463040707803.png
208 KB, 501x506
>>26287907
>I'm about to unleash my rage
>Hot blooded bro to fight along side with
>not good
>>
>>26288030
Truly, the people's champion.
>>
>>26288030
I don't know of anyone who tryed to solo RBY with just there starter back in the day. You must have stupid friends or something fampi
>>
>>26288081
Of course, everyone hangs out with some stupid people growing up because most people are idiots.
Still, despite my anecdotal evidence, you'll see people mention other folk, occasionally themselves, soloing the game with their starters all over the internet, including here.
Just because you never knew anyone like that (read: no friends, even during the Pokemon craze) doesn't mean everyone else is the same.
I think you'll find that an incredible amount of people are different, it's how the world works.

You must be stupid to have not ever seen that, because I'm sure you've improved your reading comprehension in the past ten minutes.
>>
>>26288123
That's a different guy. You've now employed the tired reading comprehension ad hominem twice, and now a weak appeal to popularity to distract from your initial statement: that "grass type is always hard mode." Which it's obviously not because gen 1. Your rhetoric is shit.
>>
>>26286354
Paul
>>
File: wat.gif (19 KB, 160x314) Image search: [Google]
wat.gif
19 KB, 160x314
Did someone say competent rival?
>Steals his starter.
>Kicks the player out of the way.
>He's actively working on his personal vendetta.
>Isn't friendly.
>>
>>26288174
How am I supposed to know it's a different person, if it really is, on an anonymous imageboard.
If someone replies to a reply chain, I assume it's the same person, any reasonable person would.

Why is my ad hom a weak appeal, even though he/you clearly has bad reading comprehension, but anecdotal evidence from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about (due to age, living in a small town unaffected by fads, living in a shitty third world country where fun is illegal or some other reason) is perfectly fine?

Grass was hard mode in gen 1 because once you got through the first two/three gyms, essentially everything was stacked against your starter, the Pokemon designed to be used most of all.
That's an objective fact, it's how the game was made.
>>
>>26286425
the only reason he was step ahead of the player was because he got his starter first

if you actually look at the gym statues your rivals even after RBY got the gym first, and really the only reason your rival never got to the champ is because they want a new character for the champ

or are you saying you don't want Cynthia to exist?
>>
>>26288214
Which gyms besides Sabrina and Blane are "objectively" harder for grass/poison. Not to mention the abundance of water types in Gen 1 (i.e. 4 of Lorelei's pokemon are water).
>>
>>26288192

That doesn't make him competent, that just makes him a dick
>>
>>26288267
The only Pokemon you have the adventage on in Erika's gym is Tangela, and that's only because you resist its grass moves because Venusaur has no poison STAB.
Koga's gym is mostly psychic types, along with his team having psychic moves and Pokemon that resist your grass STAB with high special anyway.

Sure, Giovanni may be easier, but ground moves are neutral on Venu anyway, with razor leaf being pretty weak and solar beam taking two turns.

Lorelei has plenty of ice/psychic moves, Bruno's Onix will be easy, but you have no advantage on his fighting, Agatha 's Ghosts kill with dream eater while resisting your STAB and Golbat quad-resists your STAB and SE with flying moves.
Then Lance, at best, you'll neutral his Pokemon, at worst, he'll quad-resist and most can hit for SE damage.

Stop talking out your ass.
>>
>>26288316
>implying that venusaur doesn't just know toxic and leech seed
>>
>>26288341
Nice rebuttal, but sure, all the kids back then knew toxic and leech seed went off the same counter.
Also
>implying it matters when you get killed due to SE damage
>>
>>26288316
Koga has literally no psychic pokemon or moves in R/B. You quad resist Erika's grass moves and should have body slam by then. The point remains you can dish out SE effective damage against the majority of Lorelei's team. You take out both of Koga's onix and only have to worry about hitmonchan for SE damage (resisting all fighting moves).

Only blastoise doesn't have trouble with Lance.

Not to mention razor leaf gets a crit practically every other turn.

You're dumb.
>>
>>26288399
>Koga
>Onix
>Hitmonchan
>>
File: 1457303068829.jpg (32 KB, 381x387) Image search: [Google]
1457303068829.jpg
32 KB, 381x387
>>26288490
*Bruno
>>
>>26288224

If I could erase Cynthia from existence I would!

That has nothing to do with the topic, but you managed to choose someone I hate at random...
>>
>>26288187
Yes paul is the best rival so far, shame he is from ashnime
>>
>>26288276
This. Except for the fight before Ilex Forest (where I was always criminally underleveled, for some reason), I never had any trouble against Silver. He was just an ass hole, but that doesn't make him good.

I honestly think Barry was one of the best rivals we've had. He was competing with you the whole way, and while he was really obnoxious, he was never antagonistic. It was always an encouraging sort of competition. I think it was a good balance.
>>
File: 1457351278037.png (156 KB, 500x521) Image search: [Google]
1457351278037.png
156 KB, 500x521
Barry was pretty tough, and Cheren wasn't that bad, with his item usages.
>>
>>26286354
He aint blue he is Leaf or Green Blue is a girl
>>
File: Blue_oak.png (144 KB, 480x854) Image search: [Google]
Blue_oak.png
144 KB, 480x854
>>26289184

It's Blue, According to the games.
>>
>>26288192
Psss nothin personal kid
>>
>>26288192
>Accomplishes fucking nothing
>>
>>26290094

he accomplished self growth

and isn't that the most important accomplishment of all?
>>
>>26290117
Not really
>>
>>26287924
>I'm an interview
>>
>>26286354
But they are, just look at Tierno's team.
It's just as bad as Blue's was.
>>
>>26290094
He catches Lugia, Ho-oh AND Mewtwo.
>>
>>26286354
Just because the rival isn't a jerk to you doesn't mean they aren't competent.

>Barry
>Wally
>Cheren
>Hugh
>>
>>26287924
>moreso along the lines of rather having a friend who helps push you to succeed.
That's what a rival is you know.
Sonic and Knuckles
Goku and Krillin
Sora and Riku
And so on.

What you're looking for is an antagonist a person that you feel a need to beat as opposed to a need to grow and surpass.
>>
>>26289246
>American game
>Indian elephants
I don't think so baby. The name's Green.
>>
>>26290094
>accomplishes nothing

Except getting character development? They even expand upon this in HGSS holy fuck did you play the game?

>starts out thinking pokemon are just tools to get his revenge
>when he realizes how much he sucks compared to you he decides to better himself
>double battle with lance and claire
>his golbat evolved into crobat

The best part is that they demonstrate his growth subtly like that instead of corny dialogue about friendship.
>>
How did you get an earth badge without beating Giovanni?

When you beat Giovanni as gym leader, he states that him losing means he is no longer fit to lead Team Rocket, and disbands them. If Blue had just beat him (since he's always one step ahead of you) then this would have already occurred.
>>
>>26286354
How many characters like blue do you want? They already made him so why would they do that again? I get it, he's a total badass. He's my favorite character. But especially with today's standards if we got another blue it would be some edgelord with a cape like seto kaiba
>>
>>26291228
>Goku and Krillin
No.
>>
>>26291247
>The best part is that they demonstrate his growth subtly
No they fucking don't it's literally right there in your face the whole time that he doesn't give a flying fuck about his pokemon and then he changes his tune abruptly at the end.
>>
>>26291260
Have you ever watched dragon ball?
>>
>>26291260
Yes, have you ever read or even watched Dragonball?
Krillin was "that kid" just like Blue but still became Goku's friend.
>>
>>26291255
It's more that you ( the player character) kept beating the shit out of him.
>>
>>26291346
This.
I'm sure he tried to recruit blue after he won but really Giovanni came back to wait for red.
>>
>>26291366
It's probably that he just took Blue as a regular challenger and thought nothing of it.
>>
>>26291278
>abruptly
No he changes his tone after realizing how much of a condescending brat he's been to you while accomplishing absolutely nothing.

He's then shown doing some training and you see that he has actually gotten gud as implied by his golbats evolution.
>>
>>26286354
But Barry is without doubt the most competent rival.
>>
>>26291255
well, in the anime ash just beat jessie+james for it. something similar might have happened?
>>
>>26291388
>No he changes his tone after realizing how much of a condescending brat he's been to you while accomplishing absolutely nothing.
You do realise what abruptly means right?
If all of this occurs at the end out of bumfuck nowhere and not over the course of the story then it's fucking abrupt.

>He's then shown doing some training and you see that he has actually gotten gud as implied by his golbats evolution.
How does this change anything?
It's still development of the worst variety.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.