[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a reason so many people here are obsessed with arbitrary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (340 KB, 2056x998) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
340 KB, 2056x998
Is there a reason so many people here are obsessed with arbitrary patterns like the zodiac thing or the starter's colours? Or is it just an autism thing?
>>
If the pattern is unearthed/confirmed, we could predict next gen starters.
>>
>>26285410
Why are the Grass starters getting less and less green with each passing generation?
>>
>>26285410
It's just a better way of thinking about the starters instead of just believing they're purely random and have no actual overall theme. I sort of believe in the starter pattern theories but even I understand they can have a few flaws such as the Zodiac theory.
>>
>>26285410
Looking at this, Gen 6 does kind of stand out the most compared to the others, outside Litten's colours
>>
>>26285410
Overactive pattern recognition is one our species defining strengths. Unfortunately the same function that's helped us so much with the development of science and mathematics also leads to finding patterns where there are none.
>>
>>26285453
Spring, Summer, Fall...
>>
>>26285453
It's a metaphor for deforestation and climate change.
>>
>>26285699
Probably their huge heads. Snivy also has a huge head but I guess the long body hides it a bit.
>>
>>26285699
They look more like cartoons
>>
File: SnakeFire.png (661 KB, 1014x768) Image search: [Google]
SnakeFire.png
661 KB, 1014x768
>>26285410
I think the Fire zodiac thing is pretty legit. Sure, Fennekin and Cyndaquil arent tight fits but I'm exceedingly confident in thinking the next Fire starters will be a snake, a sheep, an ox, a horse, and a rabbit probably not in that order.

Sure sheep might be a goat, ox a bull, or rabbit technically a hare but I'm sure it'll keep to the zodiac animals or something pretty similar.

Fuck you GF. Give me my fucking Arena Trap Fire/Ground python.
>>
The people that believe in patterns tend to look to the past to speculate the future.
>>
>>26285410
I'm hardly obsessed with it. I just think there's something to it.
The fire thing is a pretty remarkable coincidence, so I'm guessing there's at least some influence to it. I'd hardly throw a fit if it turned out to be untrue in the end.

There are some people really obsessively against it because it doesn't match 1:1, but I don't see why it has to be.
>>
>>26287125
The point is, WHY are some of them not "tight fits"? Why would someone designing Pokémon based on the Chinese zodiac use animals that are kind of maybe tangentially related to the zodiac animals, instead of just using the exact fucking animals? Explain the logic there. That's right, you can't, because you're grasping at straws and you know it.

As I've pointed out to you nignogs a million times, Occam's razor is the key here. The explanation that makes the fewest assumptions is usually the correct one. You assume an echidna that turns into a badger represents a rat because why, they're all quadrupedal mammals? Whereas reasonable people assume that echidnas, foxes, and housecats are in fact not rats, dogs, or tigers, which isn't even an assumption at all, that's just common sense. If they wanted a rat, dog, and tiger, they'd use a fucking rat, dog, and tiger, end of story.
>>
When will people learn gf does whatever the fuck they want and probably don't give 2 shits about patterns they set up.
The only complaint about breaking patterns I have is the final version, which was always the best and they abandoned it completely.
>>
>>26287271
>Why would someone designing Pokémon based on the Chinese zodiac use animals that are kind of maybe tangentially related to the zodiac animals, instead of just using the exact fucking animals?
Fun? Creativity?
Why would it need to be exact if it's just influenced?
>>
>>26287222
>I don't see why it has to be

see: >>26287271

It doesn't "have to be", there's just no conceivable reason it shouldn't be. I mean sure, if it were a mouse, a wolf, and a striped cat I could buy the argument that they're "close enough".. But the Cyndaquil line is certainly nowhere near a mouse just because the Pokédex calls it one, and foxes may be in the same group as dogs but only a very small child would ever consider them one. It's not that they don't match perfectly, it's that they match so IMperfectly you have to wonder why they would use those animals instead of the ones from the actual zodiac.

Hell, I'd buy the theory more if EVERY fire starter was further away from the corresponding zodiac animal, because then you could argue they were being subtle. When half of them match and the other half don't, you have to ask yourself what reason the designers could possibly have for doing it that way. I'm going to say it again: Occam's razor. You people are making way too many assumptions because you want there to be a pattern. Let it go, it's a coincidence. Coincidences won't fucking kill you, calm your autism for five seconds and accept that not everything is a pattern.
>>
>>26285410
I just noticed that each typing has had at least 1 bird flier type creature who looks like a bird (well 2 in grass now since Snivy and Rowlet). Autism is attracted to patterns and Pokemon have so many patterns
>>
>>26287335
see
>>26287298
>>
File: Typhlosion_laugh.jpg (32 KB, 799x611) Image search: [Google]
Typhlosion_laugh.jpg
32 KB, 799x611
>>26287271
Other guy awnsered it the way I would. Creativity. The starters are important parts of the franchise and are likely worked and re-worked the most out of all the pokemon.

And is denying 5/7 tight fits really the explanation that makes the fewest assumptions?

Litten is gonna become a tiger or maybe some other type of big feline and Fire starters will forever be based off of the chinese zodiac, if loosely. Please stay mad.
>>
>>26287271
>You assume an echidna that turns into a badger represents a rat because why, they're all quadrupedal mammals?
Explain why a chimp turns into a monkey.
>>
It's something they heard in their adolescence and don't want to let go of now that it's debunked, nothing more.
>>
>>26287428
>that it's debunked
We just got a fire tiger.
>>
I know gen 5,6 and 7 have a theme of royalty, RPG classes and circus performers(?) but what where the first 4 gens?
>>
File: 1463028768323.jpg (371 KB, 2056x998) Image search: [Google]
1463028768323.jpg
371 KB, 2056x998
>>26285410
>>
>>26287464
What are you doing?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.