[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone else bothered by the English names? >Rowlet Has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 1454007528938.png (137 KB, 904x864) Image search: [Google]
1454007528938.png
137 KB, 904x864
Is anyone else bothered by the English names?
>Rowlet
Has nothing to do with plants.
>Litten
Fakemon-tier effort.
>Popplio
It's pop + sea lion, but where does the extra p come from? Why not Bubblio?
>>
>>26283191
Rowlet is Root+Owlet you autist
>>
>>26283303
how do you know that it's root?
>>
>>26283191
Honestly I get what you mean. I love all three designs so much so I'm going to have to reset one game to get all three since I usually get both, but the names just sound awful
>>
>>26283359
How do you know it's not?
>>
>>26283397
Literally what would it be other than root? It's a potato
>>
>>26283422
Anything that involves birds/flying/owls/plants/nature that starts with an R.
>>
>>26283191
throw+owlet, since it throws feathers
pop+sea lion+puppy
>>
>>26283545
...You going to actually add something or just be lazy?
>>
Not all pokemon names have to be based on a lame pun
>>
>>26283575
Be lazy. I can't really think of anything really. I tried searching what other people thought and the wikia said Ruffle, but that sounds more of a stretch than Root. Root just doesn't sound right with Rowlet. Roowlet?
>>
>>26283303
>>26283422
>>26283548
It's roulette because its head spins.
>>
rotate (it's head) plus owlet

not all starter names allude to their typings
>>
>>26283191
>thinks Litten is fakemon-tier
>while suggesting Bubblio
You got no room to talk
>>
>>26283829
Bulb
Char
Squirt
Chicory
Cinder
Crocodile (aquatic animal)
Tree
Torch
Mud (water + dirt) / mudskipper (aquatic animal)
Twig
Char
Plup is supposed to be the sound of a pebble hitting water
Ivy
Tepid
Ocean water
Chestnut
Kindle
Frog (aquatic animal)
Lit
Pop (as in a bubble) / sea lion (aquatic animal)
>>
As a side note, rau in vietnamese refers to plants/vegetables/herbs, and is pronounced the same way as adding "R" to "owl"

I'm not versed enough in the language to explain it properly, my experience mostly comes from frequenting a pho place, but if anyone wants to look into that, be my guest.
>>
>>26283933
>Plup is supposed to be the sound of a pebble hitting water
I was gonna shit on you for this, but a quick searching proves it's true, so my apologies.

Frog counting as the type reference is a bit of a stretch, though. Especially since not all Frogs in Pokemon are water type. Same with Crocodile. I'd argue Tepid too, since it's not warm in any particularly fiery way, but a bl;and room temperature way.

Still, the overall point is valid. Most starters have at least a vague type reference. I really don't care if they don't, though. It's a pretty trivial thing to get booty bothered about.
>>
>>26283798
That's basically been a rule ever since the first Pokemon in the dex was named bulbasaur.
>>
I really like Litten's name. Lit + kitten.
>>
>>26284171
Yeah, that shit is lit
>>
>>26284187
Normie memes aside, I thought it was neat.
>>
>>26283385
>but the names just sound awful
We go through this cycle with you shitheads every time
>>
File: 1462669037537.jpg (36 KB, 241x403) Image search: [Google]
1462669037537.jpg
36 KB, 241x403
You want some better names?

>Hoobud
>Thermeow
>Pupple

Improvement at least, r-right?
>>
>>26283191
Oh boo fucking hoo
>>
>>26283303
I'm pretty sure it's from round
>>
>>26284485
sleep tight pupple
>>
Talonflame still bothers me
>>
>>26284760
I like it but in an ironic kind of way. That is, it's so bad I find it hilarious.
>>
>>26284485
Saying 'Hoobud' out loud just sounds awkward, like I'm some kinda redneck.

>HOOOO BUD, I SURE AM TIRED
>>
>>26284835
Better than Rowlet imo

Hoobud is dumb the right way
>>
File: file.png (311 KB, 623x447) Image search: [Google]
file.png
311 KB, 623x447
>>26284835

SOUNDS LIKE A LOTTA
>>
>>26284862
Rowlet's not a bad name at all though.

I think the real problem is just that we don't specifically know what it's based off of before seeing its evolutions. Gamefreak never reveals actual naming conventions, so every name origin we have has been pulled out of bulbapedia's collective asses. Except for once, when we learned that Piplup was named that way in America because it sort of sounded like poop and that was funny to the american translators.
>>
>>26283191
Did you go to bird school which is for birds? The answer is Rowan. A tree. Note the bow tie.
Our new starter is a professor.
Source: bird school
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.