[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will kids who born early enough to remember the 90s ever have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 16
File: 1094590-2up.png (163 KB, 320x226) Image search: [Google]
1094590-2up.png
163 KB, 320x226
Will kids who born early enough to remember the 90s ever have any idea how popular pokemon was back in the day?

Nothing against them but when I hear

>Huurrr pokemon is still popular.

It is infuriating.
>>
but it is still popular?

obviously not as popular in the 90's, since I've experienced that first-hand but still.
>>
Will kids who born early enough to remember the 40s ever have any idea how popular WW2 was back in the day?

Nothing against them but when I hear

>Huurrr WW2 is still popular.

It is infuriating.
>>
File: 795363434.png (76 KB, 180x473) Image search: [Google]
795363434.png
76 KB, 180x473
>>
>>26280764
Nice
>>
>>26280761

I am glad it is still popular, it's just nowhere near the level of hype it had in the 90s.

Still love pokemon.
>>
I'm 29 and never got to experience pokemania because I lived in a hick town and was one of like 5 kids that played video games at all, let alone pokemon.

>>26280764
tbf WWII WAS pretty popular in the 00's
>>
>>26280743
I know, right. Pokemania was huge, fucking ginormous. Nothing has even come close to it, not even the harry potter craze nor the twilight craze.
>>
>tfw I was a kid during the hype but didn't give a shit about video games or anime
I used to play outside literally the entire day
>>
>>26280817

Maybe the beetles craze came close.
>>
>>26280743

I was in elementary school when Pokemania was in its prime. Fads were a big thing back then. It's not sustainable, though.

Kids were way into Pokemon one week, then switched to Digimon, then something else. I don't think it was real popularity, just hype for something different.
>>
>>26280833
>I don't think it was real popularity in my experience and in my specific area according to my anecdotal evidence, just hype for something different.
FTFY
>>
>>26280833
>Kids were way into Pokemon one week, then switched to Digimon, then something else. I don't think it was real popularity, just hype for something different.

Confirmed for not actually being there.
>>
>>26280823
So did I, but part of that was Pokemon with my friends. We would climb trees with our gameboys and play together.
>>
>>26280859

Uh, I was there. Everyone had stuffed Pokemon toys and loved Pokemon one week, then started calling everything Eeveemon, etc the next. Maybe it was different everywhere else but that's how I remember it.
>>
I saw two fistfights over pokemon cards on my block when I was in elementary school. You also heard stories about people getting killed over them.

I've never seen anything that was as popular as Pokemon. It was insanity.
>>
I remember all the toy stores redoing all their signs, having massive pikachus and pokeballs outside on their signs.
>>
I was born in '89 and got Pokemon Blue for Christmas in 1998. I lived through the whole beginning and the golden age of popularity. I also remember almost all of the 90s. So, yes, some of us will.
>>
>>26280884
>Lying on the internet.
>>
>>26280743
A U T I S M S P E A K S
U
T
I
S
M

S
P
E
A
K
S
>>
>>26280884
Everybody loved Pokemon here for like two school years. Then it shrunk to just kids who loved it. Most of these kids played through Gen 3 and stopped as they grew out of it. I only knew one other kid who still played Gen 4.

I was the only kid who liked Digimon too.
>>
>>26280950
I would say more like 3 years but this is accurate.

Digimon was a fad for a few months when it first came out with a few kids prefering it over pokemon, then they went back to pokemon a few months later.
>>
>>26280950
>>26280976
Strangely, in my school years every kid (with a few exceptions) liked both Pokemon and Digimon, and Digimon lasted at least one or two years in popularity. It's kind of funny now that I think about it.
>>
File: Holographic Charizard.jpg (107 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
Holographic Charizard.jpg
107 KB, 354x500
>>26280900
On the school bus back from school one day this older kid gave me a holographic Charizard card for free, but it was really beat up. I still have it. I can't remember exactly but I think he was going to get rid of it and I heard and said I'd take it.
>>
>>26280833
It was real popularity. Problem is, it was popularity with a demographic that was right on the cusp of rejecting it for being too kiddy, which is what ended up happening.

10-year olds don't want kiddy shit, they want cool, mature shit for cool, mature young adults.
>>
>>26281048
That's why dragon ball z took over, but it was never the madness pokemon hype was.

Kids somehow thought dragon ball z was more mature.
>>
>>26281105
AND THIS...... IS TO GO..... EVEN FURTHER...
BEYOND!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>26280743
I think yes.
You have already kids who born early enough to remember the 60s talking about how The Beatles were popular, and still being popular to this day.
>>
>>26281500
Did you mistype this?
>>
Pokemon was fucking lit in grade school for me

1991 fag here
>>
>>26280938
Yeah, I don't even hear this shit in /vr/ when they talk about normies and resellers driving up cart prices.

Kids don't complain, they just jump in and love the current stuff more than we do.
>>
pokemon was fucking INSANE bro
>>
SIT BACK CHILDREN. IM 26.. born in 1990. I remember going to school or even the dr office or even the grocery store. And you would see EVERY KID with a gameboy and a color game cartridge in the back.

After school a group of like 20 kids would ALL have pokemon link cable battles and trades. Back then there was no internet.. so when someone found a GOLEM (which wasn't anywhere to be seen in the game.. you just had to KNOW about it.) everyone was literally saying "HOLY CRAP WHERE DID YOU GET THAT GUy?! WHO IS THAT?!

Back then pokemon in the game were literally trophies to show your friends. But today it's like.. Damn you can just google whos in all the games and how to get this and that one.

But back then.. You never knew what next encounter laid in store for you. "OMG WHERE DID YOU GET THAT CHANSEY!?"
>>
File: 1416743211126.jpg (67 KB, 430x496) Image search: [Google]
1416743211126.jpg
67 KB, 430x496
>>26284447
>mfw discovering pokemon cloning through the link cable with your bros in the Boy's and Girl's Club
Back when I was a lad, we didn't have your fancy, wireless, simultaneous trading. You could turn off your system after the first one was traded and you'd both get a copy. You'd lose the other one, but you could easily just make it a shit mon.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 600x315
>Had Pokémon-themed 6th birthday party
>1st grade teacher banned bringing TCG to school
>Parents didn't let me have vidya games till GBA era because they thought Pokémon rots your brains
>Had to experience the series vicariously through the anime and friends who had Red/Blue
>>
>>26284656
>1st grade teacher banned bringing TCG to school
>was such a good student an elementary school teacher gave me a Pokemon movie Pikachu card, that they'd confiscated from some other shithead, as a going away present
I don't even think I brown nosed that teacher at all. I think people would be surprised how much good will you can build up with teachers by just being a good and polite student who does the classwork.
>>
>>26280833

>switched to Digimon

yeah, that never fucking happened.
>>
>tfw knew at least 10-15 people in my immediate neighborhood who all had either Red, Blue or Yellow back in the day
>used to trade and battle with them in the games and with pokemon cards practically 24/7
>had great time
>one of friends is first of the group who got Silver
>showing it off to everyone on the school bus
>everyone's enamored with all the new pokemon

>year later
>no one plays it anymore besides me
>fad has completely died out where i live
>"hey anon, what are you doing still playing pokemon, don't you know that's for kids"
>10 year olds telling other 10 year olds that they're a kid

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Did meet three people years later during middle school who still played, got all three of them into competitive gen too 3 but I haven't seen or heard of any of them in a decade now
>>
>>26284897
gen 3 too*
>>
>>26280743
I moreso wonder if Yugioh is even still popular these days at all, it basically took over Pokemon on the playground and gradually built itself up over the years... but then it got more and more complicated (even though better? In some regards, I guess?) which I suppose was to make sales better as well. Fuck do I know.

Nowadays, I see youngsters playing with Pokemon cards, never really Yugioh. I guess it's too complicated for them to care too much, so I suppose it just isn't that popular anymore.
>>
>>26284880
Don't know what you're trying to say, but different rules apply to different schools.

Here, it switched from Pokemon stickers to Pokemon cards to Digimon for a few months before getting back to Pokemon and then, ultimately, Yuigoh and for a short while Pokemon inbetween.

then middle school was about Yugioh and Duel Masters for a few months.
>>
>>26280743
97' fag here, in my country the pokemania lasted until RS. Although i started playing in the bw2 era.
>>
>>26280743

Nothing's ever going to be as popular as pokemon was in the 90's, I remember even my teachers and uncles being in on that shit. It was crazy

it being as popular as it is today is still pretty impressive
>>
>>26284946
It's not. Still a thing, but I had a friend, HARDCORE Yu-Gi-Oh fanboy, spent $1000's upon $1000's on it, and played it LONG after the popularity declined, up until last year either.

But even he abandoned it.

All of their attempts to freshen it up, keep it interesting, just alienated more and more people. Especially the kids.

And I remember there being a backlash among the playground when they set the newer anime series in a school. Kids loved the Shadow Realm/Battle Island shit.
>>
Experiencing Pokemania as a kid was crazy
>>
i remember trying to trade a folded up Rattata card for a holo Dragonite to some older kid on the bus back in the day and not understanding why he just laughed at me... and remember watching the anime with my littler sister before school when i was like 7. finding out about missingno from a friend and then catching it blew my mind. i miss those days
>>
Finding out about/messing with missingno in R/B as a kid is one of the main reasons I decided to major in computer science.
>>
I just had air cable at home, so no cartoons. Looking for cartoons on TV on my grandparents house I saw the pokemon episode when Charmander evolves. I went fucking nuts by seeing Charmander settings those Exeggutors ablaze.
>>
>>26285086
If you were born in 97 pokemania ended when you were about 3 or 4.

You don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>26284880
I know.
>>
File: wafflemon.jpg (255 KB, 640x651) Image search: [Google]
wafflemon.jpg
255 KB, 640x651
I was poor and couldn't afford red/blue when they came out but I got a gameboy color and gold the year it came out. I remember seeing pokemon merch everywhere, even food.

I distinctly remember begging my mom to buy the waffles I saw at the grocery store. Also remember they tasted like shit but they were pokemon themed so I shut my ass up and ate them anyway.
>>
>>26285895
You don't see pokemon all over all the kids junk food aimed at kids anymore.
>>
File: poke_cereal.jpg (118 KB, 570x760) Image search: [Google]
poke_cereal.jpg
118 KB, 570x760
>>26285895
anyone remember this shit? pretty sure a got a hoothoot toy from one of these
>>
>>26285948
I have the Pikachu toy still and I got a Pichu toy from when they made a gen 2 version of this stuff.
>>
>>26285948
That is one bootleg looking Pikachu.
Poor Articuno had it even worse.
It really makes you think about how shoddy the merchandise could have been back at the peak of pokemania and yet nobody cared.
>>
>>26285948
There is a keloggs box on ebay for sale right now, just like this. 25 dollars...

It's empty but worth cutting up and framing.
>>
File: 5332085192341_73654b.jpg (136 KB, 1040x780) Image search: [Google]
5332085192341_73654b.jpg
136 KB, 1040x780
>pokemon puzzle clock
get on my level bitches
>>
>>26280831
>the beetles
>>
>>26284946

They made too many new rules with each expansion, and the cards made older ones practically obsolete. The ban list is huge well over a hundred cards. A lot of the cards aren't even that bad, they just threw a wrench in fusion or syncro decks which they wanted to push as the new format. So rather than let people form decks to counter that they just ban it.
>>
>>26280743
Hey I was born in 1996.

I just remember everyone in my school playing the tcg and the game.

I didn't played it until 2008 or so, at 12.

Now I'm playing all I didn't played where i was a kiddo

And I fuckin wnjoy it hahahhahahhahHHahHahHahHahHahAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>26286406
Also

>U not play pokiman ur a freakk hurr

>U play pokiman ur a freakk durr

Anyone else here?
>>
File: comic146.png (269 KB, 650x1268) Image search: [Google]
comic146.png
269 KB, 650x1268
>>26286438
>2013
>people not getting back into Pokemon cause of XY
Please. I was at the New York XY midnight release. It was around the block and down several streets of Manhattan, full of fans and families of all ages and several very perplexed security guards.

Even before that, all the original Pokemon fans entering college caused a second, if subdued, Pokemania phase. It's not a weird thing for normalfags to play anymore, or at least be interested in.
>>
>>26286438
the transition between the two only took a year or so for me in the early 2000s
>>
File: 6284378248_2c05e08592_b.jpg (282 KB, 1024x676) Image search: [Google]
6284378248_2c05e08592_b.jpg
282 KB, 1024x676
God, this thread reminded me of my old Pikachu camera. To think my parents paid to get me the equivalent of a snapchat filter is kind of hilarious, but I loved that shit as a kid.
>>
>>26286518
Oh shit, I was there too. It was oddly satisfying to wait in line for hours and see people coming from Comic Con at like, 7 pm, thinking they'd get in. Some kid and his family asked if they could cut in front of me and they got turned away for not having bracelets.

The guy who proposed on stage was pretty sweet too.
>>
>>26286518
> A second pokemania

I don't recall pokemon being absolutely everywhere like it was in the 90s, chip packets, billboards, television ads and the side of buses ever again.

Stop making shit up, you must be born in 1995 or later.
>>
>>26286643
Everyone still knows what pokemon is and it no longer needs the huge branding. Stop being a faggot
>>
>>26286643
I did say subdued anon. The basic idea is that all those kids infected when they were children grew up and then relapsed in College. Mania was the wrong word, but it was the same crowd again.

And I was 1991, anon, I was there for the original insanity. Waited in line for the original TCG release at the mall.
>>
>>26286658
Everyone new what pokemon was in the 90s as well.

They advertised it everywhere because it was easy to sell.
>>
>>26286518
Pretty much this. For me, Pokemon was unpopular during Gen III, but bounced back pretty quickly in high school around the time Diamond & Pearl came out. And when I was going to college before I dropped out because I'm a sack of shit Black and White were INSANELY popular when they came out. Between classes you couldn't take 20 steps without walking by people sitting somewhere with their DS's out. Hell, I used to trade with people who were otherwise complete strangers on the bus ride home.

Now, I agree that this was a whole different animal from the Pokemania in the 90's but this was nothing to shrug off either.
>>
>>26280833
Literally everyone who liked Digimon also liked Pokemon, while some pokemonfags didn't like Digimon because they had shit taste or didn't have the money to buy merchandize of both series.
>>
>>26281819
More or less.
But whether you like it or not, you can still listen to The Beatles at the radio.
>>
Do kids even like pokemon these days? I'm starting to feel most of the fans are slightly beta males in their 20s. I don't see nearly as mch merchandize aimed at kids as I did in the 90s, like those pokeballs with candy inside, a million different plushies in every store, the small figures etc. They do exist, but you have to go to a video game store or order online, something few kids do.
>>
>>26280779
???
>>
91 line here, I was about a year late to the franchise because I was generally not very into what kids my age liked and always assumed everything was a shitty fad, but once I actually stopped to see what Pokemon was all about, I fell in love. I'd say Pokemania ended here shortly after the start of Gen 3, when the 1990~1992 line kids it was aimed towards had all gone up to middle school and most had either gotten "too cool" for "kid shit," or jumped ship for Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic. It was never very difficult to find someone to play with or against though, even afterwards. X&Y brought the big revival here, and I'm grateful for it.
>>
>>26280743
it was insane. basically every kid could name every pokemon.
>>
>>26286869
Was thinking the same thing but my four cousins (2 aged 14 and another 2 with age 10) all still play. Not as much as me and my generation did (now in mid to late 20's) but yeah they still do
>>
The funny thing is, I remember the exact moment I fell down the rabbit hole.

I can only assume it was my 8th birthday. My mom and grandma took me to Chuck-E-Cheese. They gave me a present and I cannot express the joy I felt when it was a GameBoy (the purple see through one) and Pokemon Blue and Red. After that it was just downhill. I obsessively insisted on getting Burger King so I could get more Pokemon toys. I got the Pokemon cereal, the waffles and the poptarts so I could get the toys. I obsessively cut out the backs of the Lunchables boxes that had the little Pokemon cards on them. I got the cheap, knock off toys from the dollar store (the one I remember most being a plush Spearrow). I once had to beg my grandma to buy me a big set of Pokemon toys that was probably $19 because she was a poor fag and she finally gave in but as per usual was super pissy about it and got a speeding ticket on the way home. Blamed it on me and almost made me not even want the toys anymore. Almost.

I had Pokemon bookbags, notebooks, folders, pens, hats, shirts, a bedspread, I even had that talking Pikachu plush whose cheeks lit up. I had red, blue, yellow, the pinball game, stadium, the tetris game, Hey You Pikachu and Snap. I saw the first three movies in theaters and owned them on VHS too. I even had one issue of the very rare translated manga. Pokemon was my fucking life and yeah, I was a spoiled brat but oh well. What OP says is true though, nothing will ever compare to the craze of the 90's. That shit was one wild ride after the next. It was like a never ending adventure going from one piece of merch to the next and you really DID have to get em' all.
>>
>>26284447
>26
Go to bed little boy.
>>
>>26286992

Oh, I had the Pokedex and the Pokeball that made sounds too. Almost forgot about those. I had a lot of shit.
>>
>>26280860
literally this
>running around outside as a child with your Pokémon figures pretending to battle in your backyard
>>
>>26287028

>playing on a giant dirt mound pretending to be Charmander and headbutting a hole into the dirt

As a girl, I'm really glad I grew out of being a total autist.
>>
File: 1418259690753.png (220 KB, 321x333) Image search: [Google]
1418259690753.png
220 KB, 321x333
>When the teacher took your cards

Despair.
>>
>>26286992
I remember mine.
>watching Cheez TV (based morning cartoon show here in Australia which is sadly no longer with us)
>hosts say they've got a new cartoon, it's called Pokemon and it's apparently really big in Japan
>guitar riff
>Mewtwo and Mew fly across the screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHowv3ap-UA
>I'm fucking hooked
>>
>>26287071

>8 or 9 years old
>walking down the hall at school, don't remember where I was going
>the bitch principal had called two boys out into the hall and was making them take their Pokemon cards out of their bookbags so she could confiscate them
>I was a sperg and I stopped to watch with the most disdainful look my face could muster
>after a moment the principal noticed me and looked up
>I gave her a disgusted look, rolled my eyes and kept walking while shaking my head

I was definitely an edgelord but fuck, that shit pissed me off. I wouldn't recognize her now but if I ran into that principal I'd break her fucking nose because a year or two later when I was first getting into anime she confiscated my manga and told my mom I was bringing porn to school. Even after all these years I still hate that bitch.
>>
>>26287107

Damn. Not gonna' lie, watching that gave me a chill. I remember exactly why I loved Pokemon as much as I did back then and I'm glad I got back into it with Black & White. I definitely needed a break after how thoroughly it had encompassed my life.
>>
>>26287107
>>26287170
I also got chills

>>26287138
>She didn't give it back

How is this not considered stealing?
>>
>>26287220

I mean, who would I report it to? It was the fucking principal, she had total power over the school and if I'd gone to the cops about it they would have laughed in my face. I was definitely a sperg but a powerless sperg.
>>
>>26286553
shit, having the 150 around the border gives me nostalgia about having a poster with them on my wall as a kid. I thought it was rad as hell since it had ALL the pokemon on it.
>>
For me it's always been a huge part of my life. I missed the end of pokemania because I move to Europe in 2001. I remember GSC being pretty popular still with the kids at the international school for while but it was probably only like a year and a half. I didn't even know Ruby and Sapphire were a thing until my family went to the army base exchange and happened to see them. There was only one other kid who also had them, up until I moved back to the states a few months before DP came out, and not being excited at all for them since no one I knew played still and the Pokemon weren't interesting, until I played a demo at walmart and absolutely fell in love with the polish in battle. Specifically the way lucario's back sprite animated up and down when choosing an attack. After those games came out the other groups of fans came out of the woodwork in highschool who I befriended instantly, one girl whom is actually my wife now. BW in college was also pretty big but not like I'm seeing other people describe it, the big "resurgence" of seeing people playing it everywhere was XY and ORAS.
And here we are today with SuMo coming out this fall, and everyone I know who knows pokemon (which usually means the play it) is extremely excited. I don't think it'll ever get as big as it once was given the new age of information and the fickleness of children these days.
>>
>>26280833
I didnt like Digimon, I watched a bit if it and same with Yu GI Oh but they just felt mediocre compared to Pokemon.

I am 29 next month, I remember the hype. A couple of things you need to understand about the late 90s.
Anime was pretty much not heard of amongst 11 year olds back then, there was no internet, the internet only became a household product around 2000/2001.
I don't remember anyone having the internet in 1998/1999. So nobody in.high schools talked about anime, so when Pokemon anime appears on children's TV timeslots, it was completely new, at least to me, I didn't know anything about anime until I got the internet.
There was huge hype because it was new, this unique foreign export. It was exotic and new.
You can't manufacture hype like that anymore in my opinion, it was huge.
>>
>>26288303
I agree with this.

I remember if you wanted to see some anime in the 90s you had to stay up real late and try watch something like eva on some obscure tv channel..

We did have anime like kiba the white lion and stuff prior to pokemon however pokemon was still something new.
>>
In Australia we had a monring cartoon show called Cheez TV..

I remember a friend from school telling me about this awesome new show called pokemon that was on morning TV at this certain time.. and that I should watch it..

I remember trying to watch it but sleeping in and only catching the end of the Ash's Pikachu Vs Surge's Raichu episode, and being amazed by it.

That was my first experience with pokemon and I had no trouble getting up in the mornings early enough to watch it after that.
>>
File: 1412824279708.png (362 KB, 522x476) Image search: [Google]
1412824279708.png
362 KB, 522x476
>>26287138
My 3rd grade teacher took away my pokemon toys I brought to school and threw them in the trash. The trash was pretty full by the time I could sneak in and look for them. I never found them. Why is this shit considered okay?
>>
>>26290804
Sucks to be a 90s kid.
>>
Yeah, I remember being the only kid in school who actually LIKED Pokémon because I actually genuinely enjoyed the game world and concept and not just because I was an impressionable twit and went through the motions of liking Pokémon because Nintendo told me it was "cool".

I remember being the only person who knew the actual rules to the TGC, instead of just saying "hey my charizard has 120 HP and your squirtle has 20 HP that means I win" only to hear "but this game is too haaaard" when trying to teach people the actual rules.

I remember watching the "Chimpokomon" episode of South Park when it first came out and being the only kid who could actually take the joke at the absurdity of how influenced kids my age were by commercial messages instead of offended that they made fun of my favorite game/cartoon, that most of the same kids who got offended by the episode would go on to pick on me for still liking just a year later.

I remember being the only one not awash in plastic toys and bullshit merchandise only to throw it all away some time between Gen II and Gen III.

I actually got almost all of the "retro" Pokémon stuff I have today from my idiot "friends" who were throwing it away and thought I was gay for even caring about it.

Yeah, I don't miss Pokémon being "cool" at all honestly, and its still highly popular game, show, and toy line, it just doesn't need to permeate every aspect of the media like it did.
>>
>>26286869
I have a friend who works at an elementary school and they told me all the kids still love pokemon
>>
File: 1430606452147.jpg (65 KB, 347x291) Image search: [Google]
1430606452147.jpg
65 KB, 347x291
>everyone in the neighborhood had gameboys with RBY
>no one had a link cable
>>
Pokemon never really had an "shunned" phase in the schools I went too. I was in elementary school between the years of Gen 1 and Gen 3 being released, ending middle school/entering high school when Gen 4 came to the states, and finished high school when Gen 5 came out in the US.
The elementary years had a steady consistency of kids liking Pokemon, no one ever got shit for liking it.
Around Gen 4, I remember no one really cared that people were playing Pokemon, if anything, it was viewed as quirky.
Gen 5 was full nostalgia for most kids at my high school, we were all graduating soon and kids that never talked to each other ended up bonding over Pokemon to get through the senioritis, it was literally like that new Japanese trailer.
With Gen 6 in college, people would be playing Pokemon and I'd rake off the StreetPasses.
I guess I've just been lucky, the only time I'll get shade for Pokemon is when I get a pack of cards while grocery shopping. It's crazy, I buy a ton of groceries and the second the old cashiers see the pack of Pokemon cards they start looking down on me, but fuck em.
>>
>>26293072
THIS
>>
>>26286869
If it wasn't popolar among kids they would have got nearly no reason for semplify as much as they did with gen 6 the game for the crowd of normies and kids, i wish it was popular among a small, experienced niche, so latest games would be a better experience.
>>
>>26293593
The gen1 elements made it a good game.

Gamefreak are slowly realising their mistakes and going back to the good old days.
>>
>>26293218
Maybe you are imagining it?

For all they know it's for your son.
>>
>>26287107
Same here
>Watching CN a billion years ago.
>Commercial break
>Screen goes red and a Pikachu pops up
>Nuevo cartoon, Pokemon!
>literally can't stop watching that shit
>mom records every episode aired while I'm at school
>Dad buys me Blue and the cards
>Grandma gives me Gold for christmas a year later
>buy junk food for the toys
>play pretend with my cousins
It was fun.
>>
I was probably 8 when it died out. I watched the series up to diamond and pearl, liking it long past its hype time. I remember it though. Absolute madness.

I got into yugioh too. Beyblades were also surprisingly popular. But not nearly as much as those two. Digimon was irrelevant here.
>>
In my town, all the kids had a GBColor and a pokemon cartridge. We did a pkmn league with the cable links and all that stuff.

Spain in early 2000´s
>>
>>26287070
>as a girl

tits or fuck off
>>
>>26294188
sexist white male pig
>>
>>26284946
i abandoned it when dungeon dice monsters came out. i was so hyped, me and a couple friends went to the toys r us to get our starterpacks. i think we played it for 20 minutes before never touching it again. shit was so gay.
>>
>>26280743
I was born in 1994, and my first video game was Pokemon Gold. Before Gen III, I ended up playing all six version. Pokemon defined my childhood, and I'm really happy that I was alive to experience it all.
>>
File: pt1.jpg (209 KB, 640x570) Image search: [Google]
pt1.jpg
209 KB, 640x570
>>26285948
>>26285895
I got a Charmander toy from some kind of Pokemon branded food, and I think it was these. I remember my sister and I fighting over it, so my mom took it away.
>>
File: 1454906395772.gif (2 MB, 250x205) Image search: [Google]
1454906395772.gif
2 MB, 250x205
>>26280743
>yfw pokemon is more popular now than ever before
>>
>>26295005
Lol, 2/10
>>
>>26281048

This is exactly what happened. I was 10 when Pokémania broke out stateside, and by age 11-12 all of my peers had moved on to other things because they thought they were so mature and cool and adult and whatnot. Entering middle school was a big part of that. I just never gave the series up, unlike everyone around me.
>>
>>26280884
Underage faggot
>>
File: 1463081029749136022523.jpg (728 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1463081029749136022523.jpg
728 KB, 2048x1152
>>26285948
I believe thisbis the one
>>
I was a hoenn baby and in 2003 everyone still played pokemon at school. But yugioh was most popular
>>
>>26295164
Not him, but those aren't it. Those are the ones made by Tomy.
>>
>be in 1st grade when red/blue came out
>only one with a gameboy in the class
>no one to trade with
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.