[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have an idea of what they're based on mythology-wise?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: SMlegends.png (567 KB, 1000x582) Image search: [Google]
SMlegends.png
567 KB, 1000x582
Does anyone have an idea of what they're based on mythology-wise? First thing that came to mind was Camazotz, a Mayan bat god representing night and death, but there don't seem to be any mayan sun gods that are lions
>>
>>26266200
Why did they turn Olympia into a Pokemon?
>>
>>26266211
Because Olympia was supposed to be cosmic type, but since it was scraped, she became psychic type gym leader.

Maybe those will be cosmic type, I hope it won't be a thing though.
>>
It's a ghost type
>>
>>26266200
>mfw every time I see the new legendaries I like them more and more

Why don't I hate SOON /vp/?
>>
Also, what types do you think they will be?
>>
Gotta tell ya; I don't love the bat. I just wish it had legs, then it would be great. That lion might seriously be my favorite legendary design yet. They stopped just shy of overdesigned, nailed it. Hope it's good and that the primal evolutions never show up ever fucking again.
>>
>>26266200

Getting some serious Zoids vibes from the Sun mascot. That or Cybeast Gregar.

Lion will be Fire/Psychic. Bat will be Dark/Ghost.
>>
>The sun legendary is LITERALLY Entei
>>
>>26266798
I get when people say its a zoid, but where the fuck is entei there? Not even the same animal
>>
>>26266200
What will their types be?

Fire/Psychic for the lion and Dark/Dragon for the moon bat thing?
>>
Lions are fairly typical for solar motifs, ranging from the Persian Empire to the Bible to ancient Greece.

Let me get super head canon conspiracy here:
>Solgaleo represents the imperial European world, and Lunaala represents the native American world
>Solgaleo brings in the "light" of 'civilization' to a "dark" and 'uncivilized world', just as the West did with Hawaii

>Future Pokemon Eclipse has a scene representing the story of Columbus using his knowledge of a coming solar eclipse to convince natives he was a god
>>
>>26266848
Most likely ghost/fairy for the bat
>>
>>26266200
>when the nineth lion ate the sun
Since it's the Hawaiian region, i thought it'd originate there but Hawaii has literally 0 lions and thus 0 lion gods/myths.

My second guess is he might actually be a Shisa and not a full lion because japan, but that's stretching it...Greece maybe?

he looks amazing tho. This might be the first time I get the "hot" version solely cuz of the legendary
>>
both of their face visors are actually cockpits and both of them will be used as spaceships for you in their respective games
>>
>>26266200

While it may be true that there are no lions in Hawaii, they have been used as symbolism and astrology. The Leo sign is represented by the Ku Tiki Mask or akua.

It is a small, carved wooden figure that wears a headdress made of yellow feathers. The tiki mask acts as an “image of the god” and is a symbol of power. When the god was consulted, the feathers would stand erect or fly to the person favored to win in war. In this case, the mask that the Leo sign was meant to represent was the image of the god: Kū (or Kūkaʻilimoku)

Kū is known as the god of war and was among the four great gods that brought light to the world. He is said to preside over all male spirits.

He was a terrifying god that demanded human sacrifice; which was unusual compared to the rest of the Hawaiian pantheon.
But Kū had an opposite; this was his wife.

Hina was the goddess married to Ku; she was his opposite in every way. She presided over the female spirits and– while Ku has some implications to the sun– Hina is very much seen and worshiped as the moon goddess.

She is the mother, protector, and sometimes the wrathful destroyer. While Ku represents strength and protection; Hina represents determination and creativity.

It is said that the two gods carry an expression of parentage and it is not uncommon to see someone claim *such as in works of fiction) that they are descended from them- hence they are invoked as inclusive of the whole Hawaiian ancestral line, both past and future.
One last suggestion of dualism can be found within their names. The word kū in the Hawaiian language means “to stand” while one meaning of hina means “to fall.”

This appears to be representative of how the sun at its rising is referred to as Ku… while the sun at its setting is referred to as Hina.
>>
>>26266725
Light/Fire
Cosmic/Flying
:^)
>>
>>26266889
eh, you're putting too much trust in GF, they will never do that amount of research for any game not set in japan, tho all of that IS pretty neato anon
>>
>>26266725
Fire/Ice
Fairy/Dark

ultimate duality
>>
>>26266733
This. My initial thought is that the lion is supposed to be inspired by a Chimera. But as soon as i saw it i realized that i might just have a new favorite legendary over Raikou
>>
File: sunboxbig.jpg (338 KB, 1534x1372) Image search: [Google]
sunboxbig.jpg
338 KB, 1534x1372
>>26266924
How the fuck is that an Ice type?
>>
File: 1427553368177.jpg (55 KB, 720x485) Image search: [Google]
1427553368177.jpg
55 KB, 720x485
>>26266860

Maybe you're on to something

>Lion
>Sun
>Creature foreign to Hawaii

THE SUN NEVER SETS ON THE BRITISH EMPIRE.

Granted it was the burger eagles/Unovans who fully subjugated Hawaii/Alola, but the angle isn't called eternal for nothing.

>Anglos comes from Angles
>Angels
>Light. WHITE LIGHT.
>>
>>26266959
it's white, duh
>>
>>26266959
White = Ice, anon. It's basic fucking science, come on.
>>
>>26266889
They don't have to be related to the region, like how NYC and the surrounding area has nothing to do with Taoism and dragons. My bet is their lore will be based on Hawaiian myths but they're designs don't necessarily have any correlation to those myths. Gamefreak don't put that much thought in, they just make a cool design that fits with the lore even if it doesn't make sense realistically.
>>
>yfw both pokemon are a new type
>yfw when that type is Cosmic
>>
File: Its-happening_o_129980.gif (571 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
Its-happening_o_129980.gif
571 KB, 320x213
>>26266981
>they change Deoxys to a cosmic type
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.