[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is ready for the Ash level reset?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 16
File: ashketchum.png (225 KB, 479x358) Image search: [Google]
ashketchum.png
225 KB, 479x358
Who is ready for the Ash level reset?
>>
File: 1414473328831.png (140 KB, 222x257) Image search: [Google]
1414473328831.png
140 KB, 222x257
Who's ready for the shitty odd-numbered generation anime season
>>
Nah, Ash wins Kalos League (it's already been confirmed by Konami)... this is the start of a new protag.
>>
>>26240787
>OS
>bad
>>
>>26240787

Kanto was decent. Hoenn was great. Only Unova was trash. There's no pattern anon. It could be good as much as it could be trash.
>>
>>26240787
Gen 1 anime was fine, have faith.
>>
>>26240841
>confirmed by Konami
Are you unwell?
>>
>>26240872
>Hoenn
>great

Sure, but the majority of hardcores apparently agree that Gen iii was pretty shit due to loads of fillers and a general lack of self-awareness
>>
>Ash was doing well
>companions were great

>it's going to be ruined
>>
>>26240787
The kanto series was the only series that ever had interesting moments...
>inb4 nostalgiafag
The series back then didn't feel so plastic and cliche as it does now.
>>
>>26240861
>>26240924
>>26241036
>nostalgiashitters

It works if you like puns and bad jokes but that's pretty much it.
>>
>>26240787
>implying 3 wasnt great
The later episodes when 4th gen Pokemon started showing up were the hypest shit
>>
>>26241036
>The kanto series was the only series that ever had interesting moments
>inb4 nostalgiafag

How are you not a nostalgiafag when you write so retarded shit? If anything kanto had the least interesting moments.
>>
>>26241079
>It's old and popular so it's bad
Some day you'll grow up.
>>
>>26241026
>due to loads of fillers
Hello Sinnoh
>>
>>26241120
Name an episode from the johto series and beyond that was better than the Sabrina and St. Anne episodes.
I'll wait.
>>
>>26241126
>It's old and popular so it's bad

Were did I imply that? Don't put words in my mouth, I grew up with OS. Doesn't mean I must have nostalgiaglasses on me.

>I will call him a kid that will surely show him
Learn to have an argumentation.
>>
>>26241189
>I grew up with the OS
Is this supposed to make your opinion matter?
>>
Fuck all these people hating on OS.
At least Ash back then wasn't as boring as he is now.
>>
>>26241180
There's too many episode. Let's just take some from XYZ.

XYZ9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkD0k4qfxcc

XYZ23: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzA2yJiwsaQ

Last week's episode (XYZ25): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW1yPXTzd1A
>>
>>26241317
The same people who hate the OS are the same losers that still watch the boring XY series.
>>
>>26241264
Do you seriously have this big of an inability to understand context?
>>
>>26241036
>DP
>XYZ
>Not intresting

>>26241120
Nah, least interesting was Johto. Filler: the series.
>>
>>26241369
The context literally does not matter.
>>
>>26241408
>The context literally does not matter because I say so

Jesus, and you say other people should grow up. Hypocrisy.
>>
>>26240315
>Ash wins Kalos league
>Takes a vacation on Alola
>Fuggs Serena there
>Another Battle Frontier arc (S/M HAS to have an equivalent to the battle frontier)
>>
who's ready for ash to lose all his knowledge of pokemon and ship with best new girl

>inb4 serena ever existing.
>>
File: 1457064701441.png (223 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
1457064701441.png
223 KB, 510x346
>>26240841
>confirmed by Konami
>>
>>26241458
>who's ready for ash to lose all his knowledge of pokemon and ship with best new girl

Come to think of it, literally why does this always happen on an odd-numbered generation? To appease the new kids who don't get shit?
>>
>>26240787
As someone who marathoner the dub in prep for XY coming out, I can say that this 'pattern ' only holds up for the last 3 hens AT BEST.

Hoenn was fine and Advance had the battle frontier which was fucking great and actually let ash be GOOD.

Johto was filler hell (and didn't have anywhere near the amount of good episodes that DP had to make up for it), and just cause people over rate Kanto cause of nostalgia, doesn't make it bad
>>
>>26241180
Is this nigga fucking serious? Literally 1/10 of all the episodes are better than those episodes. Are you seriously this high on nostalgia?
>>
>>26241337
BTFO
>>
>>26241180
Just from XY since it's the most recent.

Episodes with cool battles:
- XY44 (Korrina gym battle);
- MEIII (Primal Groudon vs Primal Kyogre);
- XY67 (Clemont gym battle);
- XY86 (Talonflame vs Moltres);
- XY93 (Olympia gym battle);
- MEIV (Alan vs Malva);
- XY&Z17 (Noivern vs Zapdos);
- XY&Z23 (Ash vs Alan rematch);
- XY&Z25 (Ash vs Diantha rematch);

Weird episodes:
- XY37 (mirror world);
- XY&Z5 (Puni-chan's nightmare);

Episodes with feels:
- XY14 (Espurr episode);
- XY27 (Flabebe episode);
- XY51 (Hawlucha vs shiny Hawlucha);
- XY60 (Serena's first Tripokalon);
- XY70 (Goodra's release);
- XY87 (Tyrantrum episode);
- XY&Z10 (Bonnie and Puni-chan).

I could go on.
>>
>>26241762
XY&Z1

XY&Z9

ME I and II

etc There's too many just in XY. Throw in DP aswell and we would go well over 50 episodes.
>>
>>26240315
Can't wait for him to become retarded and have to learn how to catch pokemon again.
>>
Ash gets the cat.
Contest/showcase/circus/whatever waifu gets the seal
Unimportant male sidekick gets owl unless Ash also gets it.

Screencast this post, calling it now
>>
>>26240315
They will have to do worse than Tobias. Be afraid.
>>
>>26241120
I can remember easily all of those moments, take the fucking h8 glasses off senpai. Solely the first episode was better than 60% of post kanto shit.
Ss anne, ghosts tower, epic sabrina, giant dragonite, the pokemon league seemed interesting and not full power creep shit, butterfly leaving, come on

Whoever denies kanto was best is delusional
>>
OS had all the best character moments. That's why they're still being referred to today, like Meowth's past. XY seems to be mainly concerned with making Ash look cool.

Not that I blame them, that's just the way it is when you have a show that goes on forever like this- at some point there's just nothing interesting you can do with your old characters without it seeming tacked on. Every time The Simpsons tries to have a character episode centered around their old guard it almost never works, even if "objectively" the episode isn't actually that bad.

They really should've just dropped Ash and Team Rocket like 15 years ago. The show would've been a lot better if they had gone with new characters every gen and occasionally referred back to old ones.
>>
>>26241439
But he's right.
>>
>>26241403
Johto is fine. I've been watching it on Boomerang as they go through it. It has tons of filler but I like a lot of it. Interesting characters and it brings back tons of past characters. I never expected to see Koga's apprentice again and don't remember that episode from my childhood. Johto did a lot wrong(not evolving mons) but it did a ton right with the COTD
>>
>>26242205
But that only concerns old characters. Things like XY60 for Serena, XY62 for Clemont and XY87 (or XY&Z10) for Bonnie kick the shit out of any episode Misty or Brock ever had in terms of emotional strenght.
>>
File: 1437057520255.gif (3 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1437057520255.gif
3 MB, 350x197
I just can't guys, this is the first time i've honestly dreaded a new region, i don't want XY to end, its possibly the best we'll ever see Ash again. I'll probably die before i see him win a league.
>>
>>26240315
New Hat?
>>
>>26242417

It's coming, there are no brakes on this train
>>
>>26242198
>Whoever denies kanto was best is delusional

This must be b8. I refuse to believe nostalgiashitters like this exists.
>>
>>26242205
>OS had all the best character moments. That's why they're still being referred to today

No they're referred to today because literally everyone watched OS as a kid. The viewer base is just A LOT bigger than newer seasons. That's it. Nothing more than that. Not because it had character development or anything other like that. That's literally the only picture most people has of the anime and don't know anything after that and has only watched a handful of those newer episodes. It's not hard to understand. It's just a much bigger audience and nostalgia.

>XY seems to be mainly concerned with making Ash look cool.
>Serena had better character development in half a season than Misty had for 2 season
>this also applies to Clemont compared to 4 seasons of Brock
>>
It was all downhill after primeape, gave the thing away without ever using it outside the episode he gave it away
>>
>>26242734
Gible was such wasted potential too in Sinnoh
>>
>>26242983
>giving a shit about feral monkey with little to no personality
>>
>>26240787
Implying even gen2 was good
>>
>>26242954
>No they're referred to today because literally everyone watched OS as a kid.
Because when I think of "core audience for the Pokemon anime", it's 20+ year olds.

If they wanted to they could make another episode for Meowth with a totally different backstory and I doubt much of anything would happen to their viewerbase. Hell even the people who pick up on that might make a stink and continue watching anyway, a bunch of them suffered through BW and decided the show was still worth watching.

Also Serena is definitely not the character you want to use if you want to talk about well-done development on the show, at least use May or Dawn. Serena sat on her ass for like a year's worth of episodes and then they shoehorned her into a convenient role to shill ORAS, which then had an incredibly rushed and formulaic arc.

I'll give you Clemont over Brock though. Most people just liked Brock for his personality rather than his potential for stories.
>>
>>26243704
I give you May but not Dawn. She went through a lot, sure but she didn't have a lot of character development in the end. She was pretty much the same in the beginning of DP as in the end with the same attitude towards things etc.

>Serena sat on her ass for like a year's worth of episodes and then they shoehorned her into a convenient role to shill ORAS, which then had an incredibly rushed and formulaic arc.

No reason to be so biased. Serena had lots of development there as well about how she couldn't find a goal, how she went out against her mother's wished to become a rhyhorn racer and left her home to go on a journey just so she could meet a guy she had met earlier in her childhood. And it was hardly incredibly rushed. You just compare it to contest which is really not fair when it's its separate thing. It was handled well. Not extremely good but hardly bad. It's very obvious that you're extremely biased. Everybody are biased but at least try to see it from a neutral perspective.
>>
>>26243963
I don't know what you're trying to say with Dawn there. All the Pokemon characters are incredibly simplistic and basically have the same one-note personality start to finish. May was peppy and Serena was girly the whole way through their shows. If you're going to discount all the stuff Dawn went through that would be like me discounting Serena crying about losing her first performance even though she really didn't change much outside of her appearance after that.

I don't know why you're even bringing up "bias" in the context of opinions about a TV show. "Neutrality" doesn't exist in opinions. Even if you just go by episode count (which is the only "objective" way to measure anything here, but actually means nothing in application if none of the episodes go anywhere), dedicated Serena episodes pre-ORAS were few and far in-between.

The whole thing with Serena not being able to find a goal was just a convenient way for them to not have her do anything while the next set of games came out so they could have her shill whatever feature was in it. If the whole "I don't know what my goal is" was so central to her character, they would've had her trying different things before settling on performances instead of having her say it's her "dream" even though in-universe she learned about it like a week ago. I know this is the Pokemon anime and marketing is the name of the game, but this was really blatant even for Pokemon, and it doesn't excuse poor pacing, especially when we're talking about a show that's legendary for how much filler it has.

I call the arc "rushed" because it basically almost only contained what was needed. The only episode that's an exception was her second loss used to develop Eevee. To an extent I can't blame the creators because they were at the mercy of whenever the next game came out, but I doubt GameFreak or whoever specifically told them to save doing anything with Serena until ORAS comes out so they can shill Super Contests for them.
>>
>>26244835
>The whole thing with Serena not being able to find a goal was just a convenient way for them to not have her do anything while the next set of games came out so they could have her shill whatever feature was in it.

Literally headcanon bs. This was literally all I had to read. You're just extremely biased with some shitty headcanon on how everthing came to be.
>>
>>26240315
As long as they keep the same writers they have for XY it'll be fine
>>
>>26244835
Nice headcanon faggit but without sources to your statements it's literally worth less than the crap my dog makes.
>>
>>26244949
>>26245409
lol, I knew I was wasting my time. Typical for someone around here to be wrong and can't admit it. Keep quote mining and samefagging to make sure you can come out on top, I'm sure that's something a totally neutral party would do. Anybody who has actually watched the show will know what I'm saying is right.

There is plenty of evidence in the show itself that supports my theory (plus the precedence set in the past 20 years of how they've handled the show) and you refuse to address any of it because it might mean you're wrong. And you're accusing me of bias?

Using your logic I could just say Ash catching gen-specific Pokemon is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with marketing. Since there is no source of them saying they pick gen-specific Pokemon for Ash, clearly the jury is out on that one. This is the logic you are using.
>>
>>26245570
Bye bye with your headcanon bullshit. You seem upset for me calling you out.
>>
>>26245625
Don't be mad just because someone said your waifu is a shitty character.

Still waiting for you to point out all that amazing character development Serena has pre-ORAS, by the way.

Or to refute even one of my points.
>>
>>26245669
You seem really upset. I simply called you out on your made up crap. Headcanons aren't arguments. No need to be mad about it getting btfo.
>>
>>26240315
But will he leave Greninja in a box and lose fusion mega and get a nu-Greninja from one of the starters?
>>
>>26245718
Still waiting for even one argument out of you. You lost dude, just stop posting.
>>
>>26245789
You have no arguments to begin with. Headcanon crap is not arguments. I will wait until you can respond to this post >>26243963 with real arguments that has examples supporting it and/or sources backing them up.

No need to be so upset about your crap being called out on.
>>
Which starter will Ash get. My bet is on Litten
>>
>>26245570
Hey there /padt/, lost your way?
>>
>>26245570
whole headcanon autism. Are you that fag that said sceptile could be on pair with a champion's ace?
>>
>>26245780

>Will he leave Greninja in a box
I got bad news for you
>>
>>26245853
It's funny how I'm the only one who needs to cite sources here. That wasn't my sole argument so even if you wanted to plot your logic you're basically ignoring every other point I had so you can bite down on the one you don't like. It's almost as if you're just totally full of shit.

And even that one point you don't like is totally valid. Again, saying what I argued is headcanon is as retarded as saying that Ash getting gen-specific Pokemon is a coincidence. Are you seriously arguing that the Pokemon anime isn't about shilling shit almost constantly?
>>
>>26245855

Owl
>>
>>26245993
Your sole arguments is headcanon crap of what you think might be the reasons of thing and you completely ignore what actually happens during a set of episodes. You simply one focus on your headcanon crap on what you think might be the reasons why they did something and for reason try to justify it as arguments when literally any idiot with an high school education would understand that you can't use that as arguments. I'll wait until you decide to drop the crap and use real arguments.
>>
>>26246086
one = only*

for some reason*
>>
>>26240315
Hopefully he continues to evolve as a character and Serena becomes his permanent partner. Plz. X/Y has been such a good season.
>>
>>26244835
They did have quite a bit of build up before settling on the Tripokalon though. Serene trying Pokevision was in episode 21 and that was already building up to the performance and Kalos Queen stuff.
>>
>>26246252

>Kalos Queen stuff.

I bet this is going to be the excuse to keep Serena in Kalos. I bet they will make Serena get over her childhood crush so she can focus on beating Aria
>>
>>26246086
Making assumptions based on previous actions is completely valid. Again, you're doing the equivalent of arguing Ash's selection of Pokemon each generation has nothing to do with marketing.

Again, point out to me all those Serena development episodes that happened in the year pre-ORAS. There was like, I think three total? Pokevision, Rhyhorn, and Millefeui are the ones I can think of and all of them were non-committal for her character. The reason should be obvious if you have any common sense.

Are you seriously arguing that Serena suddenly getting a ton more focus thanks to a feature from ORAS had nothing to do with marketing? What the fuck show have you been watching for 20 years?

These are all questions I've posed multiple times already and you're categorically dismissing all of them because you hate one of the other arguments I've made. It's funny how you're accusing me of being biased when you're basically dismissing any argument that would make Serena look negative.

By the way, stop samefagging, it's really obvious when you spam the same couple words in all your posts.

>>26246252
I admit I was exaggerating by saying she did nothing, but she seriously had like 3 episodes total focused on her before ORAS was announced. Anybody who claims this is a coincidence is just in complete denial of how this show has worked for the past 2 decades.
>>
File: 1364633205115.png (26 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1364633205115.png
26 KB, 320x287
Maybe people would watch the modern Ashnime more if they weren't forced to watch it subbed due to the abomination of a dub it has.

Does the sub still do that shit where it refers to all the characters and Pokémon by their Japanese names when they have official English ones in the games? That shit was what kept me from getting past my dub preference and trying it subbed, it triggers my autism way more than it should.
>>
File: 1383289557308.png (113 KB, 373x335) Image search: [Google]
1383289557308.png
113 KB, 373x335
>when Serena fags literally kill themselves

It will be glorious
>>
It's gonna be a shame because XY(&Z) Ash is fucking mad.
>>
>>26241180
This is probably the most memorable episode for me. But XY&Z has had a slew of great episodes.
>>
>>26246411
You act like I said she had a tone of development. II didn't. But heavily undermined the development she got which was not 3 episode before ORAS like you're trying to claim. Literally half of the episode of the first 20 episode was development and so was it for Clemont and Eureka. Setting up a character is development.

You mainly relying on headcanons doesn't make it better. The anime is for advertisement but you heavily undermining everything, being too clearly to extremely biased and the fact that headcanons is not arguments make everything you say have little meaning all in all.

And no, I don't not samefag but nice try.
>>
>>26246651
So you're samefagging, then?
>>
File: 1461113816363.jpg (59 KB, 500x454) Image search: [Google]
1461113816363.jpg
59 KB, 500x454
Man I stopped caring after hoenn ash
He was so good during that region and the stuff he pulled in frontier battle was amazing
>>
>>26246670
No, that was just my non native english + not wanting to grammar check.
>>
>>26246625
My nigga. Pretty much any Rocket focus episode in XY have been my favorites.
>>
File: 1458564169036.gif (586 KB, 429x640) Image search: [Google]
1458564169036.gif
586 KB, 429x640
>>26246697
>he will go from this good https://streamable.com/x0xw to shit again

why
>>
>>26246980
Didn't mean to quote
>>
File: die.png (43 KB, 1204x730) Image search: [Google]
die.png
43 KB, 1204x730
>>26246749

What? I dropped it after about 10 episodes into the unova region, did it get any better in XYZ?
>>
Is Ash actually Sisyphus?
>>
>>26246651
You keep arguing using obfuscations and avoiding the central point I made. Anyone who has actually watched the show knows what I've said about Serena's character pacing is true. Here are the episodes dedicated to Serena pre-ORAS, and I'm going to bias my choices heavily in your favor:

XY1
XY2
XY6
XY7
XY21
XY25

So in the first 25 episodes she had 6 episodes where she says anything relevant to her character. And like I mentioned before, very few of these were even about the supposed character trait you keep associating with her (her finding a goal). It was mostly about her crush subplot with Ash which isn't a bad thing, but it that means it isn't about her character arc at all which is my whole point. The only episode which were actual character development were XY6 which had her being hesitant about challenging gyms, and the Pokevision one (which kind of end up not being antithetical to her role down the line- wasn't the whole point of the episode supposed to be Fennekin getting over being a neat freak). Her looking for a goal was basically not mentioned AT ALL after XY6 until the Summer camp.

After this ORAS was confirmed but they had to go into the Lucario arc, so fair enough.

Yet, when they pick up Serena's character again, within 25 episodes:

XY39-41 (Summer camp)
XY47
XY50
XY53
(XY59)
XY60
XY64

Even if you count the summer episodes as one episode and ignore XY59 (date episode) that means she had 6 episodes dedicated to her because she needed to do performance-related development. To argue that she didn't get more focus because she needed to market something is denying reality.

And let me blow your mind- I actually liked pre-performance Serena. I loved the idea of her wanting to find a goal, because it was a different idea for the show...except that's not what her character was about, she didn't explore any options at all, they just gave her the most convenient thing they could use her to market and dropped that whole plot as fast as they could.
>>
File: ugh.png (126 KB, 385x233) Image search: [Google]
ugh.png
126 KB, 385x233
>>26246515
Except they probably won't since 90% of them are bandwagoners who just call the newest companion their waifu
>>
>>26247240

Maybe
>>
>>26246625
Why she won't hook up with james opposed to some random nobody baffles the hell out of me
>>
>>26245855
>implying he won't get all the starters like in Best Wishes
>>
>>26249046
>James
>not gay
>>
>>26249046
Because I'm sure that James is just her pegging partner. All he'd be useful for to her
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.