[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know what I love about original pokemon? And I'm not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: original sprites.png (76 KB, 896x560) Image search: [Google]
original sprites.png
76 KB, 896x560
You know what I love about original pokemon? And I'm not saying it doesn't happen in the new games, but it's just something I recently noticed. I love how much you would get rewarded for curiosity in the original games.
When the games came out in America, we had the show, but it was fairly slow compared to how you could beat a game. And yeah, a lot of the magazines had hints and maps, but it could never answer all of your questions.
Like, just think of Magikarp. You go into a pokecenter, and some guy sells you a pokemon. You have the money, so you buy it, but then find out it's completely useless. Most people just put in the box dismissively, especially if they picked squirtle and had a water type. But those who thought that there was no way there could be a useless pokemon stuck it out, and eventually got the rekker that was gyrados (unless you were fighting literally anything with an electric move). Same sort of thing with Abra.
Also, the old Amber. if you checked out the museum and saw the tree, you knew that you needed to come back. Most kids probably just forgot about it, but if you remebered, got the old amber revived it, you had the badass Aerodactyl.
Going to the top floor of the Celadon building will just get you an Eevee, practically a staple of most teams.
Not to mention the poster in Rocket game corner and getting a Hitmon from the Dojo. And that's just from RBY. Can anyone else think of curiosity helping you out earlier games?
>>
>>26218947

That has much less to do with how the games are made today, and more with the fact that there's much more information available immediately today. You'd get a similar experience today if you were to go into a game blind, but that just much less likely to do without specific effort to avoid information.
>>
i belv u ip
>>
>>26218947
I remember back in Johto, when I was going through Union Cave I found the place where you needed to surf, and so I came back after I got surf from Morty, and lo and behold, there was a Pokemon I had never seen before, swimming around in the cave and doing cool Lapras stuff.
>>
>The Regi quest in OR/AS
>>
>>26218992
And in Mount Mortar, when you could use waterfall to get a Tyrogue.
>>
File: spoiler regigigas funny serebii.png (748 KB, 1272x2603) Image search: [Google]
spoiler regigigas funny serebii.png
748 KB, 1272x2603
>>26218984
>>26219007
This. It's not something exclusive to the old games.
People trying to figure out how ORAS legendaries worked was funny as fuck.
>>
>>26218947
Finding legendaries is an obvious one, in RBY all three legendary birds were off the beaten path (especially Zapdos and Articuno) and you wouldn't find them unless surfing around in redundant places.

In Gold and silver you weren't forced into the areas of the title legendaries either, you could check their lairs out if you wanted to once you had the necessary HM's and junk, and it was quite the puzzle to get through for both. In the remakes you're handlead to them as part of the story and you won't feel like you discovere'd anything on your own, much like with the title legendaries in later gens.
>>
>>26219035
I just looked up how you get him, and that's the dumbest shit ever.
>>
Nothing beats the truck parked near the S.S. Anne
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.