[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Pokemon an JRPG series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: inset1_09_0123_chronotrig.jpg (646 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
inset1_09_0123_chronotrig.jpg
646 KB, 800x600
Is Pokemon an JRPG series?
>>
File: 1459274235828.gif (326 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
1459274235828.gif
326 KB, 500x269
>>26212403

>RPG
>Made in Japan

What even-- OP?
>>
>>26212422
OP here. I was always told there was more to it than that, but I can't remember the exact defining features that make a game a "JRPG".
>>
File: Game_Freak_logo.png (4 KB, 199x136) Image search: [Google]
Game_Freak_logo.png
4 KB, 199x136
>>26212403
>Pokémon is a JRPG series?

It is.
>>
>>26212433

It's not a traditional JRPG, obviously. But it literally fits the categories set by JRPG(Japanese + RPG) so... I think you need a more specific question.
>>
You thought people would disagree on this point?
>>
>>26212403

Are you autistic?
>>
>>26212440
I thought the only thing JRPGs share that sets them apart from WRPGs is that the player has no impact upon the story. It's more "interactive movie" than "create your own novel" games like Fallout. In what ways would it be non-traditional?
>>
>>26212482

It's non-traditional because your player doesn't do the fighting. It's a Monster Battler rpg-subclass, I'd call it at least.
>>
>>26212482

The only thing that sets them apart is that they are made in Japan.
>>
>>26212540
>>26212482
Also there is a lot of game content after the story is finished, not typical for traditional JRPGs. With normal JRPGs you get a New Game+ after the credits, with Pokémon you keep playing. Many would say that the real game in Pokémon starts AFTER the story is finished.
>>
>>26212403
This is even worse than arguing whether SM will be 6.5 or 7.
It LITERALLY does NOT matter.
>>
>>26212583
>many would say
Nice source you got there senpai. Highly doubt that the majority of people would even consider that to be true.
>>
>>26212641
If that wasn't true there wouldn't be complaints about shallow postgames. And the story is short, it takes a lot more hours to complete the pokédex, beat battle towers, hunt shinies, breed teams for competitive or other means etc. Just because you and your friends restart the game after the story ends doesn't mean everyone does. It's designed to be played over long period on the same file. You wouldn't want to erase your event legendaries now would you?
>>
>>26212675
And just because you and your friends go shiny hunting and try to complete a living pokedex and whatnot does not mean everyone does. It might seem so when you spend a lot of time on /vp/, but lets not forget that pokemon is a very casual game, with a majority of casual players.
>>
>>26212583
I feel like most jrpgs have had at least some sort of hidden post game area/boss.
I dare say that aspect of jrpgs died with the snes.
>>
>>26212403
>there will never be an rpg as good as chrono trigger
i finally know what nostalgia glasses feel like
>>
>>26212403
is Crono Trigger is the only RPG where you dont go into a separate battle field? I always thought that was cool. Cooler than Legend of Mana's real-time battles even
>>
>>26212482
>I thought the only thing JRPGs share that sets them apart from WRPGs is that the player has no impact upon the story
This just in: Chrono Trigger and SMT are apparently not JRPGs, according to Anon.
>>
>>26213260
FFXII had combat directly in the field.
>>
>>26212403
Pokemon is a mix of JRPG and strategy. And maybe next generations will get some things from pet simulator games (Pokemon Amie, i hope they will make it better and more complex)
>>
>>26212433
Those people that said there was more to it than that were just being retards.
>>
>>26214318
i meant during CT's generation. no other game around its time seemed to have non-transition battles

anyway 12 is one of my faves
>>
>>26212403
No. It's collection and trading with a multiplayer battle arena. These things are only intrinsic to other monster games or video game versions of card games. There is no RPG of any kind, now leave.
>>
>>26214818
>There is no RPG of any kind, now leave.
Except for, you know, the entire game you retard.
>>
>>26214754
I wouldn't call Pokémon a strategy video game. It doesn't have much more planning in it than your average JRPG with party members.
>>
>>26214792
There are action RPGs, like Ys and such, if you count those.

It was also common in western RPGs of the time, like Ultima.
>>
>>26214754
>Pokemon is a mix of JRPG and strategy.
>implying that JRPGs normally don't have strategy

This thread is amazing.

>>26214818
Please explain how a turn-based game with character levels and so on is not a JRPG. I'd love to know.
>>
>>26214840
Let's think about what an RPG is now, shall we? The basic framework of an RPG is there, at least mechanic wise. When RPGs were adapted as video games, they made you take a specific role instead of a custom one. This depended a lot on how much they could immerse you in this role. What immersion do you possess for this? None that I can see. The person you are playing as has no motives, they are stumbling blindly. Nothing they do has purpose. They just go forward with no clue what they are doing, whether you want to or not. I will not argue that it is an accurate depiction of the mind of a child, but past a certain age, I do not believe this would be appealing anymore. We have to have purpose, and without one, there is no point. Go back to the meaning of an RPG and make one? Perhaps I was incorrect about there not being a purpose, although the only purpose there would be is to be a blind idiot since that's the only thing it will let me do.

Other RPGs at least give you a reason behind what you're doing, so you know immediately what you're getting yourself into beforehand. If you don't want to do it, then it's more obvious to ignore it. This game pretends to be something that it's not. There are no secrets of the world to discover, your goal is not to defeat the enemy, although that is part of the game, it's not the main goal. There isn't even a story per se, just go here, do this. Even the original Mario has more plot.

That is not the role you're playing? It's the one the game is playing, that's for certain. Perhaps it is an RPG, but people got into it expecting one role but got another. Perhaps more effort could be taken in explaining it, but adults were never supposed to be involved. It's never going to happen.
>>
>>26215331
Tons of RPGs have blank protagonists, but I do admit it is rather rare in JRPGs.
>>
>>26215387
I must not know of those RPGs, then, since most of the ones I know are entirely about fighting some kind of villain. As I said, that is not your goal in this game.
>>
>>26215410
If you are referring to other monster games, though, then I know of at least one other one that has absolutely no plot. I don't know enough about the others to say the same.
>>
>>26215410
Just about every MMORPG has blank protagonist for starters.
Also you do have a goal; to become champion. If the opponent is a villain or doesn't matter.
>>
>>26215519
Become the champion for what reason? We don't know. Becoming the best is not an answer. As Alder said, then what?

I only really know one MMO, and depending on which class you chose, your motives are different.
>>
>>26212583
Non-traditional JRPG =/= WRPG
>>
>>26215575
That's up to you to fill in.
Like usually the goal is to beat the villain, but when this is done with blank protagonists its still left up to you to fill in the blanks of why you want to do that. The default and most boring thing is "save everyone" or "because it's "right"", but it's rarely flat out stated.
As for everything else in the game, you do it mainly because somebody asks you to do so.
>>
There is only one answer that matters to me, and it's the one answer that the game won't let you do, even though they claim that it is. I will not deny the MMO I know to have the same problem.
>>
>>26212433
I mean, obviously being Japanese, the games have a few differences from what the west would call an RPG but at it's core that's the main idea.
>>
The underlying mechanics that make an RPG were created by an american company. Why the choice was made to make you play one role, I would guess originally it was a limitation of programming. It hasn't had to exist for a long time, but it more manifests itself as the rest of the party. I don't know where the idea of having a custom character was made, or even having a choice of one. It may even be older than I think, but I do not think it sourced from what is understood to be a "western" RPG. As far as I know, those kind of games did not exist until the first 3D gen. (N64/PSX)
>>
>>26217460
> I don't know where the idea of having a custom character was made, or even having a choice of one. It may even be older than I think, but I do not think it sourced from what is understood to be a "western" RPG. As far as I know, those kind of games did not exist until the first 3D gen. (N64/PSX)
Are you fucking retarded? RPGs did not start as a video game genre, you chucklefuck.
>>
>>26217614
Well, the original board game did, but that aspect was not implemented into video games until way later.
>>
>>26212403
>japanese
>turn-based
>random encounters
>leveling
>party
>multiple attacks
>HP
>creatures
>top down perspective

It is the definition of a JRPG. How is it not?
>>
>>26217704
Literally all the earliest RPGs were heavily based around the AD&D character system. What are you even talking about.
>>
>>26213260
Wanderlust: Rebirth is similar.
>>
Mosnter Battling games are an offshoot of the RPG genre, similar to SRPGs and MMOs. The difference is that monster battling games tend to focus on building a team for player vs player combat, rather than any of the things that define WRPGs or JRPGs (which are both largely single-player experiences). Even if you only play single player, NPCs try to follow the rules as a human opponent would.

So it's a JRPG only in the sense that it's Japanese and a type of RPG. It's a completely different category otherwise.
>>
>>26217747

Pretty much this. All the Japanese RPG's are based off of games based off of D&D
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.