[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Missing some old Hi-Jynx
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 16
File: images75DT3ZW2.jpg (11 KB, 325x155) Image search: [Google]
images75DT3ZW2.jpg
11 KB, 325x155
Please, someone with talent, make her black again, but in this modern style? I've looked, but all I find is this stupid purple piece of shit... I need her to be black again!
>inb4 it's racist
No, she's not. Never has been. That's like saying a one way is jacking off, when it's actually just a street that goes in one direction.
>>
>That's like saying a one way is jacking off, when it's actually just a street that goes in one direction.

what the actual fuck
>>
Agreed, I'm black myself, and I never saw Jynx as being racist... it's fucking silly, I was actually surprised when I read about the change in her appearance cause of it.

Not all of us blackies are so defensive and constantly call the race card for everything..
>>
>>26211542
The chances of this person being black are zero
>>
>>26211551
I'm an oreo. black skin, but white washed on the inside... inb4 I have a job, gf, like to read and enjoy a tasty wine every now and then.
>>
how are you this ignorant? No one really thinks GF was like "lol lets make a nigger pokemon" but American culture has a VERY different history with race. Theres no denying that jynx resembles black face and similar stereotypes.

So some people got upset and assumed things about the intent of jynx.

so GF decided to change the color of her skin to just avoid unnecessary offense.

And you shit heads can't get over that for some reason.
>>
>inb4 someone posts that retarded folklore about her being frozen.
>>
>>26211579
Because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Maybe our generation is less racist than yours was. Plus, that purple is hideous. Didn't they do the same to mr. Popo?
>>
File: Jynx Dream World Edit.png (48 KB, 376x368) Image search: [Google]
Jynx Dream World Edit.png
48 KB, 376x368
>>
File: wewuzjinxanshiet.png (141 KB, 431x431) Image search: [Google]
wewuzjinxanshiet.png
141 KB, 431x431
1 minute in photoshop. someone else could probably do better
>>
also to be really clear I don't think Jynx is racist at all. I think the design is based on aspects of japanese culture that doesn't translate to western audiences. But again, if changing the skin tone a couple shades can avoid being an issue for an entire people group then, hell, let's make her pink
>>
>>26211542
They say she resembles blackface. I think they're just racist and seeing what they want. I have a dirty minded friend like that, you can't even eat a banana around her.
>>
>>26211604
>>26211615
>the hands are black
cmon now; they're supposed to be dark blue
>>
>>26211603
but it literally is broke. Like the design is less effective because it didn't translate as well into western audiences and caused issues.

by making the adjustment, GF allowed more audiences to accept the design
>>
>>26211635
No, now it's broke. Before, it was great. If it was so poorly recieved, wouldn't tangela be in trouble too?
>>
File: Jynx_Primal_Reversion.png (143 KB, 431x350) Image search: [Google]
Jynx_Primal_Reversion.png
143 KB, 431x350
>>26211615
I got you.
>>
>>26211603
at the very least, jynx is an example of Gamefreak either a. not doing a good job of researching other contexts that their design might encounter or b. not anticipating even needing to address a western audience.

probably a bit of both imo
>>
File: 1462403339706.jpg (107 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1462403339706.jpg
107 KB, 700x700
>>26211533
>>
>>26211667
>Three way
>menage a trois
>thus one way
>masturbation
>>
File: 124JynxColors.png (151 KB, 431x431) Image search: [Google]
124JynxColors.png
151 KB, 431x431
>>26211658
This time with the gloves.
>>
>>26211661
Jynx is gen 1, at that time , they didn't even know they'd have a fanbase, let alone having a worldwide one. It's not their fault either, it's our fault. We're just too racist.
>>
>>26211578
A black person who tries hard to appeal to white people is even worse than a white kid pretending to be black on an anonymous message board
>>
>>26211653
Are you fucking retarded and have no idea what blackface is?
>>
>>26211661
It's both.

Look at Yokai Watch, since Jynx is also based on a yokai. Their designs don't cater to western audiences, but there aren't any big lipped black face characters, or nazi crocodiles, or groping old men.

I get why people get rustled by localization changes, but Jynx was a product of Pokemon not being an international brand. They phased her out more slowly in Japan (I have a poster from early AG with her on it), which highlights the cultural difference.

Also, it should be clarified, folks from The Company have said at different times they never once got a complaint. Much like the issue with Ocarina of Time using an Islamic chant, they changed it to avoid backlash. I'm aware of the article by the culture critic, but that was just that, an article -- which in the early days of the internet, when it was relevant, was not widespread.
>>
File: 1454178368434.gif (45 KB, 560x582) Image search: [Google]
1454178368434.gif
45 KB, 560x582
>>26211683
>>
>>26211739

Truly there is nothing more obnoxious than a white person who insists any black person that doesn't conform to stereotypes is trying to appeal to white people.
>>
>>26211747
Are you retarded, and not know how culture and psychology work? We're the racist country, it's our fault, so why should they change it? We should just accept that she looks like , but is not blackface, and stop shitting ourselves like those stupid owlfags do.
>>
>>26211783
are you retarded and not know how grammar work?
>>
>>26211658
HOL UP DAS RACIST
>>
>>26211771
He's right anon, try going to /pol/ or /b/ and appeal to them. There's nothing you have to prove to ignorant people.
>>
>>26211621
If that's the case she will be wearing skimpy pink leopard prints, not a long red dress.
>>
>>26211826

/pol/'s racism is honestly easier for me to swallow, blunt and obvious as it is. It's easier both to laugh off and to point out to others and ridicule. It's the casual, subtle racism from whites who claim to be looking out for my best interests that really gets under my skin.
>>
>>26211771
>Truly there is nothing more obnoxious than a white person etc. etc.
You must have never been around many black people then if you think that's annoying.
>>
>>26211502
>missing old Jynx
Nah, you just want to be contrarian.
>>
>>26211794
Are you blind? I'm a writer, my grammar is always flawless.
>>
>>26211878
Fanfics don't count.
>>
File: 1462396912110.png (61 KB, 324x187) Image search: [Google]
1462396912110.png
61 KB, 324x187
>>26211871
No, i genuinely miss the original jynx. I also miss pic related, and wish they'll eventually become officially usable in a game someday...

>>26211887
Harty har, very funny dumbass, but I wouldn't be caught dead with any fanfic bullshit. My current work would probably blow people away, it's so original and fresh.
>>
>>26211864
I am black and saying you're an oreo is fucking disgusting. Taking pride in that shit. You said it. No one else did.
>>
>>26211578
>I'm an oreo. black skin, but white washed on the inside

Stop saying stupid cringe worthy shit like this. Rednecks and trailer trash, hood niggas and ghetto trash.. If you don't act like any of those groups you are just a regular person.
>>
>>26211683
Fuck, that looks really good. The problem wasn't the color, it was the lips.
>>
>>26211878
But you used that comma wrong. Just because you're a writer doesn't mean you know grammar. You should've used a semicolon or an em-dash:

I'm a writer; my grammar is always flawless.
I'm a writer—my grammar is always flawless.

The comma as you used it is fine in literary writing, but it isn't technically correct.
>>
>>26211783
Dumbass. It's a company trying to make money and uphold an image. No one is forcing them to anything. They're pushed by their own needs.
>>
>>26211910
>My current work would probably blow people away, it's so original and fresh
t. A purple prose faggot.
>>
>>26211935
The lips are the same. The expression is different
>>
>>26211910
>I also miss pic related,

how can you miss something that never existed
>>
>>26211939
No, no, no. A semicolon is for a brief pause before a lust, and a dash is for something that abruptly interupts the train of thought. I know what I'm doing , commas weren't used incorrectly. Now here's one for you: Fuck off m8.
>>
>>26211976
because he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about
>>
>>26211979
>space comma space
>commas weren't used incorrectly
And you fucked it.
>>
>>26211959
‘Atop a vastly destroyed mountain top, two warriors stare each other down. They move, seamlessly, the wind giving way to them without even the slightest resistance. The sound of clashing steel, cacophonous against the otherwise stark and vapid mountain, radiates throughout the sky. The two warriors, a man, and a woman, are both unscathed. They glare at each other for another minute, each looking for even the smallest opening, or the tiniest weakness. The man, a short, muscled Italian in a suit, with steely, cold blue eyes, grinned at the woman with tan skin and green eyes.’ The Author paused for a moment. He considered the danger he may be in. If he wasn’t careful, he might get a detail wrong. He mused to himself, thinking on how truly criminal such an injustice would be. After all, he truly couldn’t have come up with such an amazing moment, even if he had written it into existence himself. He had to get every detail correct!
The Author looked up for a moment, realizing his mistake. He had been speaking to himself out loud. The two warriors didn’t seem to notice. In fact, they seemed to simply… Stop…
>>
>>26211992

yeah I should have realized sooner he had the 'tism going hard
>>
>>26211979
Are you retarded?
>>
>>26211979
What you just said has absolutely nothing to do with grammar rules at all. You should read the book "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" by Lynne Truss (it's pretty easy to find) if you're really interesting in learning about the rules of written grammar. It should help you a lot.
>>
>>26211976
It did exist. I remember playing the beta demo for GS at spaceland...
>>
>>26211995
Hey, that's a phone flaw, not my mistake.
>>
>>26211997
is this old pasta?
>>
>>26212015
Sure, blame your phone.
>>
>>26212003
>has a major in english
>is told about grammar from underage idiots on 4chan
Wew lad, that's one mighty cuck coming your way .
>>
>>26212022
No, it's a paragraph from a book I've already been writing for several months now.

>>26212023
It is the phone dumbass, but here's you a free (you).
>>
>>26211927

I'm not the same guy from the start of this thread.
>>
>>26212054
Then your input and response were irrelevant.
>>
File: 1462389825129.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1462389825129.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>26211997
>>26212022
>>26212040

Oh man, this thread is going places.
>>
>>26211997
Too much bombast. It comes across as melodramatic and phony. Also don't post your fanfiction to a Korea Meat Distribution board.
>>
How the fuck did this thread go from someone wanting a Jynx recolor to grammar wars?
>>
>>26212144
"Leaks season"
>>
>>26211658
Dat filename
>>
>>26212140
What fanfic? That's all 100% original.
>>26212144
I have no clue. I think it happened when one anon tried to talk shit to another...
>>
>>26212144
Some people take this grammar thing too seriously. I'm not sure why.

>>26211542
There's just too many coincidences. I really can't see Jynx as something other than a Black stereotype and have never been a fan of it.
>>
>>26211783
Wait. I'm willing to acknowledge when I am wrong. So if I'm wrong I apologize, but now I'm genuinely curious. Is the "not know how culture and psychology work" wrong? It seems off. Please explain thank u
>>
>>26212461
No, it's correct. It's off because you'd think it's works, but because of culture and psychology, it's work. I think it's called a dynamic something, or a double something... Like, a double negative, or something like that.
>>
>>26212415
No, actually, there aren't any coincidences, it's seriously just in your head because of where you are from. It's based on a combination of an ice spirit and a fashion trend, there's literally nothing racist about her at all, but some bitch complained to NoA and then GF changed it. I think her name was Carol Weatherford.
>>
Literally no children thought "ha-ha, she's black". Pokemon like Shellder and Tangela made it obvious that it was a nondescript void to emphasize the lips. If anything, her breasts were what people were joking about back in the day.
>>
>>26211783
You're missing the point. No one ever thought Jynx was actually supposed to be a blackface caricature, but it does happen to look like that and that offends some people. In the same vein, no one ever though Registeel was actually supposed to be saluting Hitler in its DP sprite, however that is what it happened to look like, and thus it was changed.
>>
>>26212672
>registeel - hitler
What? I've never heard that. Oh, and if we're playing the "looks like so it must be" game, luponny is fergie. Literally fucking black eyed peas as pokemon confirmed.
>>
File: Spr_4d_379.png (1 KB, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
Spr_4d_379.png
1 KB, 80x80
>>26212696
>What? I've never heard that.

>Oh, and if we're playing the "looks like so it must be" game, luponny is fergie. Literally fucking black eyed peas as pokemon confirmed.
Except
1. It doesn't look like Fergie
2. Even if it did, no one except for maybe Fergie herself would be offended. That's not comparable to implications of blackface or Nazism.
>>
>>26212713
Right, but it does look like Fergie, and people are obviously overthinking things when they say that stupid shit about blackface jynx and nazi registeel. It's ridiculous. And even if it was overly obvious, and intentional, there are only so many colors to use, you can't say you can't use this one here, or that one there, and you can't say this pose is off limits, especially not without a major reason, bigger than this. Also, that doesn't look like a salut, it's just the way it looks in 2d.
>>
>>26212620
>No, actually, there aren't any coincidences
Is it not alarming that Jynx shares the same coal Black skin, comically huge lips, huge eyes and dilated pupils as many minstrel shows and Blackface? Is it not a coincidence that Jynx likes to dance and shake her hips as she's walking, another Black stereotype? Is it not a coincedence that it is the only Pokemon that speaks a language that nothing else understands? Is it not a coincidence that it is capable, in one depiction, of using voodoo powers to create voodoo dolls? Are these not all stereotypes of Africans?

>it's seriously just in your head because of where you are from.
Where do you think i'm from? Why do you assume i'm "from" this place?

>It's based on a combination of an ice spirit and a fashion trend
Does this ice spirit or fashion trend use multiple themes that are all very similar or exactly the same as these African stereotypes?
>>
>>26212740
Uh, duh, that's why people say it looks like blackface, but it's based on a fashion trend where women would dye their hair blonde and put on ridiculous makeup, so it's really obvious, knowing that , that it's entirely a coincidence that people think that way. It just shows how racist you are.
And to answer that last one , nope, but the fashion trend involved ridiculous makeup, one of which was painting their whole body black with Kohl. It's not exclusively American/racist, plenty of cultures used paint and kohl, especially Egyptians, and none of them did so racistly, only for fashion. If Americans got their heads outta their asses and learned more about other cultures, they'd know this.
>>
>>26212795
>Uh, duh, that's why people say it looks like blackface, but it's based on a fashion trend where women would dye their hair blonde and put on ridiculous makeup
Is it possible to achieve what Jynx is supposedly trying to incorporate while eschewing the Blackface and minstrel similarities? Why didn't they?

>so it's really obvious, knowing that , that it's entirely a coincidence that people think that way.
You are saying that, of the seven characteristics that I outlined, all of them merely coincidentally mirror negative stereotypes of Africans?

>It just shows how racist you are.
In what way am I racist? Is it not racist to deny the possibility of a racial action? How are you not guilty of racism for denying the possibility of Jynx being a racist design?

>nope, but the fashion trend involved ridiculous makeup, one of which was painting their whole body black with Kohl.
Is it not possible to depict this Kohl painting without possibly alluding to Blackface? If not, why was it necessary to move forward with the initial design?

>plenty of cultures used paint and kohl, especially Egyptians, and none of them did so racistly, only for fashion.
Again, is it not possible to depict this Kohl painting without alluding to Blackface? Does every culture not use Black bodypaint to make fun of Africans?

>If Americans got their heads outta their asses and learned more about other cultures, they'd know this.
Why do you assume i'm American? Did only Americans charge Jynx with being racist? How are you not racist for assuming that, because i'm apparently American, I am culturally ignorant?
>>
Nobody cares that nigger pokemon
>>
File: pokemonblack.jpg (76 KB, 469x497) Image search: [Google]
pokemonblack.jpg
76 KB, 469x497
>>26213040
>Why didn't they?
Why should they?
>all of them merely coincidentally mirror negative stereotypes of Africans?
Yes.
>Is it not racist to deny the possibility of a racial action?
No.
>why was it necessary to move forward with the initial design?
Why not?
>Does every culture not use Black bodypaint to make fun of Africans?
If every culture does that, perhaps they're being made fun of for good reason?
>Did only Americans charge Jynx with being racist?
Yes.
>>
>>26211747
>Blackface
Stop this meme. We don't call clowns "Whiteface" either, despite their huge eyes, white skin and fair hair.

As a Dutchman, Zwarte Piet isn't blackface either. Stop being ignorant about other cultures, you bigot.
>>
>>26212740
>Jynx likes to dance and shake her hips as she's walking, another Black stereotype
What
>>
File: gyaru_kei.jpg (772 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
gyaru_kei.jpg
772 KB, 1500x1000
>>26212795
>Uh, duh, that's why people say it looks like blackface, but it's based on a fashion trend where women would dye their hair blonde and put on ridiculous makeup, so it's really obvious, knowing that , that it's entirely a coincidence that people think that way.

Jynx looks nothing like gyaru fashion
>>
>>26213890
>What are exaggerations
>>
>>26213040
lol
fucking murricans. and their shallow identity politics..
>>
>>26213040
>I am culturally ignorant
Not that anon but yes, you are culturally ignorant.
>>
>>26213911
Nah, this is how Japanese people used to draw black people. Since black people aren't common in Japan they took inspiration from American's black caricatures. Gamefreak didn't know it was racist.

>>26213782
Read the pokedex.

>It seductively wiggles its hips as it walks. It can cause people to dance in unison with it.

>Appears to move to a rhythm of its own, as if it were dancing. It wiggles its hips as it walks.

>Talks in a strange, incomprehensible language. It is known for its weird wiggling that causes people to dance.
>>
>>26211542
It probably wasn't a black person, just one of those white people who get offended by everything for other people
>>
File: u comix.jpg (66 KB, 453x640) Image search: [Google]
u comix.jpg
66 KB, 453x640
>>26213988
So what?
The red lipped moor is not really used derogativley in the example you used either.
We euros draw ourselves usually as schlong-noses in carictures and noone got offended of that either yet even though caucasians havve longer noses then other races.
>>
>>26213911
Again, gyaru fashion doesn't come to mind whenever I see Jynx. The lack of eye makeup, skimpy clothing and leopard prints ruins that association.
>>
>>26213988
>black people
>obviously from India based on the clothing
Oh look, another case of people going das raycis without knowing what they're talking about.
>>
>>26211502
Why did they make her dress sleeves white? And why did they remove the gloves? And what is with the weird breastplate? And if she was supposed to have been a ice witch spirit or whatever the hell it is, then why was she not purple to begin with?
>>
She looks better in purple, smoochum is fucsia
>>
File: JYYYYYYYYYNNNNNNNNNXX.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
JYYYYYYYYYNNNNNNNNNXX.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>26211502
I got you, fampai.
>>
>>26211502
>That's like saying a one way is jacking off, when it's actually just a street that goes in one direction.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.