[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that we are two days away from the first S/M news, I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1322x1853) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1322x1853
Now that we are two days away from the first S/M news, I need you to know that a game belongs to a new generation when it has new added mechanics, not graphics. This is in case S/M retains Gen VI graphics.

First, look at Gen I and Gen II (pic related) both share the same overworld graphics but both Gens have different mechanics. Gen II added Gender, Special split (in-game it is still acknowledged as a sole stat), new moves and Pokémon, Pokémon holding items, etc.

(1/3)
>>
File: image.jpg (229 KB, 1158x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
229 KB, 1158x600
>>26204878
Now, look at pic related, R/S/E and FR/LG belong to the same Gen and even then both games have different overworld graphics but both also have the same mechanics (Gen II mechanics, Abilities, Natures, Gen II and III moves, Berries, Gen III held items, etc.)

(2/3)
>>
>>26204878
Obviously graphics has nothing to do with it, hell when XY was first announced I even theorized they'd be reusing models for the next few generations.
though, you're wrong on one account, its new pokemon that decide a new gen, not new mechanics.
>>
>>26204897
And to finish, each forme is considered a different Pokémon in-game, and many games (mostly third version) add them in the same generation they belongs. Pt added Giratina's Origin Forme, and Shaymin's Sky Forme. B2/W2 added Genies' Therian Forme, Kyurem's Black and White Formes, and Keldeo's Resolute Forme. OR/AS not only added new formes in the form of more Megas, but also Primal Reversion, 3 new moves AND 3 new Abilities that aren't available on X/Y.

What I want to say with this is that if S/M add new Pokémon but doesn't add mechanics like Gen II's Special split, held items; Gen III's Abilities, Natures; Gen IV Physical/Special split; Gen V's Hidden Ability, sleep and encore fixed turns; or Gen VI's Mega Evolution; then they are going to be considered Gen VI games instead.

(3/3)
>>
>>26204878
If this is your argument then Pokemon Colosseum is Gen 4 and Gale of Darkness is Gen 5
>>
>>26204930
>being retarded
>>
>>26204930
>ORAS adds a new mechanic
>same generation
>says mechanics dictate a new generation
Okay
>>
The simplest way to distinguish gens is by battle compatibility.

Gen 1 games can only battle with other Gen 1 games.
Gen 2 games can only battle with other Gen 2 games.
Gen 3 games can only battle with other Gen 3 games.

etc. Battle mechanics and the overall engine need to be the same as a consequence of this. Gen 2 can't battle with Gen 1 because of the new types and stats, Gen 5 can't battle with Gen 4 because of Rotom's retypes, a bunch of move effect changes, ??? type being gone, etc.

It can't be defined by "new Pokemon" because ORAS already showed they can add whatever they want mid-gen and still keep some battle compatibility. "New Pokemon" definition also gets broken and meaningless if they one day decide to start adding Pokemon every new game like what they're seemingly doing with megas.
>>
>>26204878
I always took generation literally and considered it as the batches of pokemon themselves. Why the fuck else call them generations?
>>
>>26204930
>And to finish, each forme is considered a different Pokémon in-game
Except they're not, they're the same Pokedex number so they're the same Pokemon
>>
>>26204951
Yes, ORAS added a new mechanic: Soaring, I mean battle mechanics. ORAS added new Megas, 3 brand-new moves and abilities, but they are not considered new.
>>
File: 1462125415822.jpg (32 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1462125415822.jpg
32 KB, 480x360
TL;DR OWLS REAL
>>
>>26204937
Except that Colosseum and Gale of Darkness have the same battle mechanics as Gen III. Both added Shadow Pokémon and Shadow moves, but they are plot-only.
>>
Listen here kids. New pokemon MEANS a new generation and its already been confirmed that there are new Pokémon in sun and moon.. Name a generation where new pokemon have been added later, and DON'T say formes or megas because they don't fucking count and you know it.
>>
>>26204998
They share the same Pokédex number, but each forme has separate index number. For example: on Gen IV Rotom's index number is 479, the same as its Pokédex number, but its Pt formes are numbers 503-507 in-game.
>>
>>26205068
Where have new mons been confirmed?

I keep seeing new mons, new region, etc. but there's been no evidence of either. And I fucking remember people saying there would be new Pokemon in what was then called Pokemon Z because the Kalos dex was so small, but it would still be gen 6. Mysteriously, that was chucked out the window.

There really is some conspiracy going on. Frankly, I'm not surprised, people do get really autistic over kids games of all things.
>>
>>26204930
Forms and Megas aren't new Pokemon if they were they'd have their own pokedex entries
>>
>>26204958
If they one day decided to only add a handful of new mons, then yeah, it breaks. Until then, when he'll freezes over, we'll just keep living in reality, where new Pokémon are needed for a new gen of POKÉMON, which has always been the case.
>>
>>26205309
What is Magearna a new form of?
>>
>>26205309
Masuda literally said 'over 10 new mons will be introduced in sun and moon' on a Japanese TV show. Also magearnea if you want definite proof.
>>
>>26205309
Masuda confirmed "at least 10" new Pokémon. It was a joke number since 10 is the bare minimum a gen would have
>>
>>26205309
People saying z would have a bigger dex was just speculation and denialfags refusing to believe the kalos dex was that small.
>>
>>26205309
>I keep seeing new mons, new region, etc. but there's been no evidence of either.

"Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon are coming out for systems in the Nintendo 3DS family in late 2016, with a new world, new Pokémon, and new adventures to discover!"
>>
>>26205490
Honestly, I think these gen 6.5 fags are just butthurt that their precious gen 6 was lacklustre and shite.
>>
>>26205000
Primal Reversion is new.
Mega Evolution without a stone is new.
>>
>>26205511
They're all just glorified form changes
>>
>>26205471
No, it was a joke because anything less than 50, the bare minimum, would be crazy. 10 is NOT the bare minimum.
>>
>>26205584
9 starters and evos + Magearna which is where he got the number 10 from
>>
>>26205122
So what? That's just code. That doesn't mean they're different Pokemon. If Pokemon share a pokedex number, they're the same species of Pokemon.
>>
>>26205653
So what? That's just a number. If Pokemon have new stats and abilities it's a different Pokemon anyway.
>>
>>26205601
Oh really? Where did he say that? What >>26205584 says is the correct answer.
>>
>>26205790
>What >>26205584 says is the correct answer.
Oh really? Where did he say that?
>>
>>26205658
You can argue this way that every single individual Pokémon is a new Pokémon. No. You've got to draw the line somewhere, and that line is the Dex Number. It doesn't matter how the Pokémon is coded, all 10 Furfrous are still all Furfrou.
>>
>>26205511
Re-coded megas, literally.
>>
>>26204930
>if S/M add new Pokémon but doesn't add mechanics like Gen II's Special split, held items; Gen III's Abilities, Natures; Gen IV Physical/Special split; Gen V's Hidden Ability, sleep and encore fixed turns; or Gen VI's Mega Evolution; then they are going to be considered Gen VI games instead.
This is fucking bullshit. First of all nobody fucking cares about what some stupid 4chan autists think defines a new Gen, the general fanbase is still going to call it a new generation if there's new Pokémon, even if that's the only new in the games. Secondly, GameFreak cannot keep on adding new mechanics like that forever, at some point they'll either unironically run out of ideas or reach the limit to what would be "too much content". So going by your idiot-logic that means at some point in the future, ALL games will end up under the exact same generation number for the rest of the franchise's life. Don't you get how much fucking bullshit that is? New Pokémon = New Generation, and there's NOTHING you can do or say that is going to change this fact. It does NOT matter what you pewny little faggots think, you are NOT all there is to the fanbase. You can lie to yourselves in your little isolated hugbox that is /vp/ or not, everyone else is still going to call Sun & Moon Generation 7. Going to? No, they already do, because it fucking is. And has been confirmed to be for fucking months.
>>
tl;dr OP

Sun and Moon are introducing new Pokemon which means the games are generation 7. That is an undisputed fact and the objective truth.

Stop shitposting and just admit you're pissed that your big green snek didn't get its own game.
>>
>>26205997
Well it got two games.
>>
>>26204878
>I need you to know that a game belongs to a new generation when it has new added mechanics
It's a new generation when they add new starters up until the next game with new starters.
That's that's the constant. Remakes and 3rd versions add new mechanics all the time, but new starters always signal a new gen.
>>
Why can't /vp/ handle the idea that gamefreak went full jew and split up 150 new mons into 2 different pairs of games? If that happens and you still want to consider them separate gens, then they are the 2 worst gens ever. Either way, the fans are hurt for it.
>>
>>26206406
The thing is
gens don't exist
>>
>>26206448
>Le fan term meme

Pokemon_diamond_pearl_box_art_back.jpeg
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.