[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was replaying X a few days ago and I was utterly baffled at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: 27.jpg (33 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
27.jpg
33 KB, 400x240
I was replaying X a few days ago and I was utterly baffled at how unintuitive Lumiose City is.

The camera angle just swings all over the place, in a strange dynamic where showing off the Gym seemed to be slightly higher priority than letting me see what the fuck I was doing. And then there were the doors, where I'd walk up to a building, try to read the sign next to it, and as soon as I came within 5 feet of the doorway it'd magnetically pull me in. If I wanted to go inside, I'd walk into the fucking doorway. There doesn't need to be this gigantic threshold around the entrance like it's a fucking black hole or something.

I'm most disappointed of all because GF showed with Castellia that they can make an impressive city and still have it be easy to navigate with Pokemon's mechanics. Fucking hell, the Colosseum games did it better than this even. That just makes this even more inexcusable.

>inb4 u mad

Yes, I am incredibly fucking mad, thank you for noticing.

The most glaring incident of all was where the limp dicked professor of Kalos rang me up and said to meet me at the "Lysandre Cafe", which apparently is visible right from "The Pokecentre" looking towards the gym. Forgetting that Lumiose has TWO pokemon centres, it took me fucking forever to find this place which turned out to be tucked in some shitty little crack den alley. And then I walk inside, talk to that giant ginger asshole for 5 seconds, recieve an admittedly useless item, and then that was it. Seriously, GF?

You could have let me find the King's Rock in a cave somewhere. You didn't have to make a gigantic, shitty city and force me to find a dive bar in the central sprawl, and THEN make me sit through a lecture from Mr. I'm-Totally-Not-Evil-Guise about people who don't "give" to the world. Fuck you.
>>
>>26177905
this tbhfam
>>
>>26177905
>admittedly useless item

admittedly useful, sorry.
>>
>>26177905
>If I wanted to go inside, I'd walk into the fucking doorway. There doesn't need to be this gigantic threshold around the entrance like it's a fucking black hole or something.

While I disagree with a lot of what you were saying I agree with this, it was like all the doors in that city were surrounding by sticky tape
>>
I hated that city, worst part of X/Y for me. Which is weird considering I thought Castellia in B/W was pulled off really well.

I guess they were just going for more of a non-linear approach (Castellia was essentially 4 parallel routes pretending to be a city, after all) and couldn't get it quite right.
>>
Place looks great, but the camera work is awful.
>>
I agree with the others - I like the city, hate the camera. I seriously hope they fix it for Pokemon Z
>>
I like the idea of big cities in pokemon, and actually enjoyed the one in BW1 and 2

But this one just seems to have a lot of shops that do the same thing, which I know is more realistic, but having three clothing shops and five cafes seems like over kill, especially when they could have toned it down to two.

I know it's trying to be close to scale, but I pretty much always use the Taxi.

I do love the music
>>
I think the concept of the city is awesome. It reminds me of Celadon city in Kanto where you go to do all your shopping. It is just the camera that really screwed it. I don't even like going in there.
>>
File: alakazam.jpg (55 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
alakazam.jpg
55 KB, 500x400
"You can´t pass, there´s been a blackout"
>NPC casually passes through
>>
>>26178030
Quite honestly if you go to Paris, or any fucking city or even small town in France, you have cafés, hairdressers and banks everywhere. Only tiny tiny countryside towns are safe.
>>
File: dawn.png (838 KB, 945x734) Image search: [Google]
dawn.png
838 KB, 945x734
>High-Tech power plant gets taken over by the fashion police
>Entire fucking city locked down

It's like it's run by the president of Madagascar
>>
File: 1458538589929.jpg (34 KB, 300x343) Image search: [Google]
1458538589929.jpg
34 KB, 300x343
>>26178053
You are aware that people may live there right?
Meaning that they can't bar entry to those people.
>>
>>26178053

Plus in 3 out of the 4 alley ways I've encountered this, the lights were on in every building I have seen down the path.
>>
>Can't tell where the fuck I'm going
>Get overcharged for a cab ride to a cafe 10 feet away
>When I get there, everything looks the same

Seems to have pretty accurately captured Paris if you ask me
>>
ironically its Gamefreaks most proud creation
>>
>>26178104
Source?
>>
this desu senpai
>>
File: lumiose.png (47 KB, 603x294) Image search: [Google]
lumiose.png
47 KB, 603x294
>>26177905
Yeah it's shit.
>>
>>26177905
Worst city in the franchise, yes.
>>
Castellia City was perfectly executed. I really can't understand how they fucked this one up so much.
>>
File: dunsparce.png (35 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
dunsparce.png
35 KB, 600x600
>Walk into boutique
>WELCOME TO THE SALTY SPITOON, HOW TOUGH ARE YE?
>mfw
>>
How do we delete Lumiose?
>>
>>26178094
word
>>
>>26178195
It was literally just four roads connected to a dock. Lumiose looked much more like an actual city.
>>
My favorite thing about Lumiose City is that gf were just SO PROUD of it, that they turned Mauville City into a mall version of it with a model of it on display.
the glitch that bricked peoples' copies of the game if they saved on a certain street was fun too.
>>
>>26178791
I'm not sure what you're trying to say but your argument is Lumiose is better because it's more realistic? if that's your argument then don't you understand how stupid you sound?
>>
I found Lumiose's layout much easier to navigate than Castelia. With the former I always knew where I was going due to plenty of signage while in the latter I often got lost and still do. I liked the camera angle too and wish it was an option for the entire game, but they also should've had an option for a usual camera in the city.
>>
>>26178843
I mean... yes, it is.
The regions shouldn't purely serve gameplay. Castelia doesn't look like a city. It's four straight lines with shops along the roads. I enjoyed learning how to navigate Lumiose, personally.
>>
>>26177905
Finally more and more people realizing how shitty every single part of X and Y
>>
>>26178894
>it's more realistic therefore it's better
I'm sorry but regions serving gameplay? What do you mean exactly?
>>
>>26178894
If it's a choice between realism or enjoyment, consider whether you're trying to make a game or a simulator.
>>
>>26178907
X and Y are great games, just like every Pokémon game
>>
File: 1456005312986.gif (3 MB, 220x204) Image search: [Google]
1456005312986.gif
3 MB, 220x204
>>26178894
>The regions shouldn't purely serve gameplay
>>
>>26178907
XY is utterly mediocre but Lumiose is one of the least of its problems.
>>
>>26178907
>>26178945
Dunno, but many of the locations in XY seemed rather convoluted. But it really dropped the ball with the desert, they just started dropping in variety-biomes for the sake of variety at that point.
>>
>>26177905
Lumiose actually has 3 pokemon centers
>>
>>26178959
If we're talking locations, I fucking hate the climate of Kalos. The four compass direction season climate thing makes the region feel disjointed as hell.
>>
>>26178976
Unova, to a certain extend, has the same issues.
Hoenn and Sinnoh are were it's at.
>>
>>26179032
Nah, Unova's pretty uniform because of the whole actual seasons mechanic. The only really standout place that makes zero sense is the desert. But the same could be said of Hoenn's.
>>
>>26178959
Not to mention the desert was awful to get through because of the tedious wind mechanic and everything having arena trap.
>>
>>26179045
Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree. But with Unova it seems like everything is just disjointed between gates. There's no real natural progression akin to Hoenn and Sinnoh.
>>
>>26179079
I don't mind the gates myself, which Sinnoh had plenty of as well. But I'm pretty sure Unova did have the most gates.
>>
>>26177905

You know, no other game would I say that a big city was a problem, in fact I would usually probably scold anyone that even went against saying bigger isn't better. However, I don't think that would be the case for Lumiose. To this day, I still don't know where tf anything is in that city and they really did make it pretty difficult to navigate. Thank god for those taxis.
>>
>>26178894
>The regions shouldn't purely serve gameplay
You're the cancer killing video games
>>
The place was hell on earth to navigate. Am I at the north end of the city or the south end? What fucking one of the 5 streets am i on? Where the hell is the poke ball shop?
>>
>>26178973
Okay?
>>
>>26177905
It's based on Paris. Have you ever actually been there?
It's realistic, the camera angles are terrible there and it's a pretty good replication if you ask me.
>>
>>26177932
>king's rock
>useful

scrub
>>
>>26178053
>>26178083
This, started my first play through of Y (all of gen 6 actually) yesterday, and this is the first thing I noticed
>>
>>26178053
The whole "the powers out fuck off" roadblock is so shit. Most roadblocks are in general, why can't I just hop on a bird pokemon and fly around it?
>>
>>26177905
It's worth it having to pay 3k whenever you have to go to a shop just so you don't have to deal with the camera.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.