[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you ever want more from Pokemon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: quality-assurance.jpg (77 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
quality-assurance.jpg
77 KB, 500x366
I always felt the series was lack luster overall.
I always wanted so much more but never got it,
as a child I always wished the adventure was much grander than it actually was.

>none of the locations truly stood out
>none of the characters were that memorable, and fans often just make fake head canon personas for them (i.e. red)
>no real sense of danger
>it was much too easy

>inb4 it's for kids

Paper Mario and Mario RPG did a much better job, and they were supposedly for kids. Heck if you are going to play hardball and keep it to the gb, final fantasy mystic quest 3 did a better job

Sure the titles were on the GB and GBC respectively, but still.

As the generations progressed it became more and more apparent that game freak could get away with lack luster products

>gen 3 crusty sprites
>gen 4 +5 static sprites when every other game had animations

The sad thing is that when another developer outside of game freak gets the ip we get better quality art
Look at conquest and mystery dungeon.

Every single pokemon has a walk cycle in every direction, attack, special attack and sleep animations, yet we had static sprites till gen 5.

What's the problem here?

Even recently, look at pokken.
Models that don't look like dogshit for once.

What are your sentiments on this dudes?
>>
>>26166958
I think you should skip a generation
>>
>>26166958
Leave and never come back.

No, really, leave, this franchise is not for you.
>>
neckbeard
>>
But Pokken's models look like some old fart with the pokken.
>>
>>26167030
I did after playing serveral rpgs on gba back in the day; I took one lookat pokemon r/s/e and decided I wasn't going to buy it.

I tried platnium, it was lack luster compared to other rpgs and honestly moved on after completing it.

I completely skipped gen 5+6
Idk man

Why does everyone accept this? I honestly got tired of pretending the series better than it actually was and started to play some legitimately good games.
>>
>>26167757
>skipped gen 5
Bro gen 5 is exactly what you want
>Castelia City, Skyarrow Bridge
>ALL of the gym leaders are involved in the story
>Is somewhat challenging, esp b2/w2
Go do yourself a favour and pick up one of these games. B2/W2 are better but you definitely check out BW as well
>>
File: 1440983817086.png (213 KB, 458x393) Image search: [Google]
1440983817086.png
213 KB, 458x393
>>26166958
I understand and sorta feel the same, but for a few different points.

Locations and characters did stand out for a lot of fans of the series beyond fan canon. I won't disagree with the lack of danger in the stories. I won't say that its too hard or too easy because that usually depends on the team you roll with (which I assume switches around each time you play). However, Generation 5 and 6 are definitely more story oriented and might give you a kick of what you've been missing. Black and White 2 have one of my favorite stories in Pokemon. That seems to be a common theme they're rolling with now so the series is at least accommodating that area in recent years, so you can expect more from it. I can't say much on artistic direction because I liked the sprites, but I can understand your point there. I didn't like Generation 3's sprite style either.

The reason the series grew stale for me was because I've played every main game easily 80 times over, so it feels a little dry going into it and I can't commit to finishing runs today. That doesn't include the countless nuzlockes and monotype runs either. The locations, characters, and everything in between feels too predicable. While I get most games aren't meant to be played 80 times over I do wish they had at least picked up black/white 2's route by adding in the hard mode in later series. Maybe include hidden trainers that weren't there(with mega evolutions?), unlock hidden spawns, and maybe one or two secret characters following the hard mode play through. It'd be a lot more interesting going back into it that way.

Also Pokken's models are kind've gross IMO. I wish there was a conquest sequel and Colosseum 3.

I'd OP I'd recommend you try out Digimon Games. They tend to tread over to the danger zone/story impacted areas, they're actually pretty good, and
it might give you that edge in monster hunting/catching series you desire.

I'd also recommend Shini Megami if thats not up your ally.
>>
File: 1322389166614.png (573 KB, 1200x707) Image search: [Google]
1322389166614.png
573 KB, 1200x707
>>26168540
>Digimon Games.
I tried adventure 2 way back in the day (talking like 2001) and didn't like it that much,

Instantly after I started played normal rpgs and srpgs (i.e. Lunar, Final Fantasy, NIS titles, thousand arms, Breath of fire, Chrono series, Arc the LAD) they gave me what I wanted.
To tell you the truth Digimon Xros anime was exactly what I wanted in terms of a monster anime
>Actual danger
>Monster hero
>heroes can actually do something (first pokemon movie "stop it mewtwo" fucking bullshit)
>interesting locals
>bad ass themes when something cool happened
>driven villians
>no need for headcannon
>>
>gen 5 static sprites

So you don't even play the games, gotcha.
>>
>>26166958
>none of the locations truly stood out
Only have this problem with gen 1, 2 and 6.
>none of the characters were that memorable
Only have this problem with gen 2 and 6.
>no real sense of danger
Only had this problem with gen 6.
>gen 4 +5 static sprites when every other game had animations
Gen 5 had animations and some 3D.

>Look at conquest and mystery dungeon.
I never played conquest but Mystery Dungeon's sprites could be better and they also reused all of them from the GBA games.

>Models that don't look like dogshit for once.
I don't like the weird texture every pokemon has. I think the 3ds models are pretty good considering the limitations of the hardware.
>>
turn based combat is only fun for me if it's competitive, meaning it has to be against a human player. when gamefreak build a battling ai that can pass the turing test i'll play
>>
File: r_bg_002_l.jpg (577 KB, 896x672) Image search: [Google]
r_bg_002_l.jpg
577 KB, 896x672
>>26170076
>Only have this problem with gen 1, 2 and 6.
Compare sootopolis to say Zeal in chrono trigger, or the langoud from thousand arms don't delude yourself man.

>none of the characters were that memorable
1.only the rival everyone else is being shielded by headcannon
3. I reember the main antagoist and that's it.
4.Wally maybe and maybe the antagonist, but other than that meh
5. Didn't play that one

>no real sense of danger
1.Oh no team rocket is going to steal the pokemaz
2.Same as obve
3. OOooh I want to make more land
4,.Ok you got me, but they didn't seem that intimating green wigs and retro space suits.
5. Don't know much about that one

Let's compare that to let's say fucking LAVOS, The Dark One from Arc the lad, or NIS bosses.
No comparison

>Gen 5 had animations and some 3D.
One loop, but ok I will give it to you.

> I think the 3ds models are pretty good considering the limitations of the hardware.
Look at yokai watch and tell me that.
>>
>>26169774
>Monster hero

What? Everything still depends on the all powerful humans, what are you talking about? The only thing run by monsters are what has always been run by monsters: the villains. They at least do things slightly differently in that your opponent can do the exact same things that you do, only they're more experienced. From what I've been told, there is no sorting algorithm, you could literally be fighting the worst they can throw at you the next day.
>>
File: 059.gif (12 KB, 60x60) Image search: [Google]
059.gif
12 KB, 60x60
Reminder that Pokemon main series is about collecting monsters and comparing it to more traditional jRPG is silly.
Might as well compare Baldur's Gate to Diablo 2.

>>26166958
Not remembering locations and characters is your problem, not game's. I still remember most of towns I've seen in BW even though I haven't played those games for 5 years.
>no real sense of danger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2NUxuGJeYc#t=5m30s [5:30-6:23]
>inb4 it's for kids
You've hit the nail on the head, senpai.

I only wish for the future games to be longer or have even more shit to do. Pokeathlon, additional post-game towns etc.
Bottom line, this franchise is not for you as someone said.

>>26168540
Have a nice music for this post. You've made some good points, imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erU86ZT8z4I

>>26170261
>3. I reember the main antagoist and that's it.
>4.Wally maybe and maybe the antagonist, but other than that meh
>3. OOooh I want to make more land
>Let's compare that to let's say fucking LAVOS
Embarrassing.
>>
>>26166958
Absolutely, but I honestly think GF do this on purpose to keep us hooked, like we'll always *hope* for an awesome game, buy into it, and realise it's shit.
>>
>>26173266
This is how you market to children.
>>
>>26167813
You can challenge all the champions 3-3 level 50 Smogon sets included
>>
>>26168540
Not OP, but I never really gave Digimon a chance because of how ugly and boring literally every Digimon is.
>>
File: Shoutmon_4-009_(DJ).png (195 KB, 300x437) Image search: [Google]
Shoutmon_4-009_(DJ).png
195 KB, 300x437
>>26173099
>okemon main series is about collecting monsters and comparing it to more traditional jRPG is silly.

Many of these jrpgs have monster collecting elements as well, so mute point.

>Baldur's Gate
I don't play dully colored horseshit

>no real sense of danger
remake

>inb4 it's for kids
lazy excuse, read my first post

>>26172574
Did you watch xros wars?
Sure Taiki gave him a digixros now
and then, was far more compasionate than him and saved his life a couple of times
but Shoutmon was the one calling the shots
>His ambition
>his goals
>his machismo

Think about it, he intentionally got absorbed and tore an enemy from the inside out.

>Everything still depends on the all powerful humans
Tell that to Dark Knightmon
>Manipulated Nene into being his partner
>Did all sorts of diabolical shit while promising to reunite her with her lost brother
> Kicked her to the curb once he figured out how the xros loader worked
> mass produced it for his death generals
> Manipulated the lost brother into doing all sorts of evil
> was nearly invisible throughout the series
>revived every enemy they ever fought into a horrible amalgamation

What are you going on about?

>>26174220
elaborate
To be honest I like their designs better, then again, I love mecha and kaiju as apposed to
animal recreations and moe types.
>>
Also OP, most of the things you want story, setting, or tone wise go directly against why I like Pokemon. I don't want any over the top JRPG bullshit in it, I want a simple down to earth game where some kid and their super powered animals travel around a fictional but modern world. In fact the further pushing of save the world bullshit more and more ever since RS is probably what bothers me the most about the series in recent years.
>>
>>26175358
>mute point
>mute

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>26175396
> I want a simple down to earth game
> supered powered animals
>minor deities

Are you serious right now?
No really, you aren't pulling my chain are you?
If you want down to earth play harvest moon or something of that nature.

We are talking MONSTERS, BATTLES, ELEMENTALS, FUTURE TECH, it's too vanillia and needs to be pushed further.
You sound like an escapist right now.

Are you fucking serious right now
>>
>>26169774
Digimon World 2 was shit. 1 is good, and easily one of the most challenging and unique games I've played. 3 is standard JRPG, but the story is decent and the variety in monsters is good. Only issue is crazy long load times and helps grinding.

If you have a chance, play Digimon World Ds, Dawn, or Dusk. All three are great. Cyber Sleuths is good too, but safe money is you don't have a vita, and the ps4 version is a little over priced
>>
>tfw the wants, feelings, and wishes of everybody on this board will never make a difference
It's almost a bittersweet experience reading all of this
>>
I honestly didn't like Mario RPG for what it was. Paper Mario is fucking fun, but it ain't Pokemon. I like Pokemon for the strong designs, good music, and how fun it is to collect a bunch of Pokemon. Same reason I love DQM.
Comparing SaGa to Pokemon is weird as fuck, especially 3. Did you mean Legend 3, also, since Mystic Quest 3 ain't a thing. Anywho, SaGa 3 seemed lackluster compared to the other 2 by a tiny bit, since it seemed busy because of the whole team change for the game.
Pokemon, especially GSC, looked great on GBC. Mainline's biggest problem is that they can't really afford to stay away for too long, while spinoffs can be in development for much longer to shine up the graphics and all that, plus take more risks. Mega Evolution itself was a huge risk, and people hated it on the first day.

That said, I'd love for more endgame, another mainline spinoff like Colosseum, and
>>
>>26175533
DS, Dawn and Dusk are sort of crap in how much grinding you have to do for Digivolutions, though. I love the idea, but they're a tiny bit rough. Never played DW2 but DW1 was super fun, would rec the PSP one too.
>>
>>26175358
Consider this: If they were capable of all that, what exactly do the humans do? That may be your point, but I question why the digis would even want them to be a general if that is the case.
>>
>>26175528
As serious as I can be. One of the main appeals of Pokemon is the world itself is an urban, modern one while not being just our world. On top of that, it does generally feel more grounded in a way especially in the first two generations. Call it vanilla, but it's like it's the one tub of vanilla in a freezer full of dozens of tubs of chocolate or strawberry. It's not something we get much, I feel.

If I want something more fantastical, I'll play one of the many other JRPG's I already play as well that already appeal to that.
>>
>>26175968
Taiki was a diplomat, and he inspired people plain and simple.
He persuaded initial neutral parties and enemies to join, he had great charisma and tactics.
Shoutmon had the gusto sure, but he was too hot headed. He needed the guidance and tactical know how of ti

No doubt in my mind that if shoutmon got the xros loader instead, it would have been soly his adventure.

Greymon made a blood oath to kiriha for some reason, it was never elaborated on.

Nene was being used by Dark Knightmon until he figured out how to use the xros loader.

>>26175979
What is yokai watch?
Arc the Lad.
And Mother series.

They just do it much better.

>>26175666
My bad, I meant legend
>>
>>26176451
Neither YKW or Mother does things quite the same, I love both of those series as well though for what they do do. And I haven't given Arc the Lad a try before, but from the looks of it it doesn't either.
>>
>>26175358
>remake
So?
>>
File: Arc_the_Lad_2_cover.jpg (23 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
Arc_the_Lad_2_cover.jpg
23 KB, 256x255
>>26176516
A quality game indeed, at tad gritty though. Arc the lad one was just a short demo of Arc2 they came in a collection.

The second game focuses on a bounty hunter who does odd jobs in the city

(looking for a lost dog in the sewers, preventing golems from robbing a bank, hunting down a spirit that has been haunting some run down buidlings)

Give it a try, might be hard to come across.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.