[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did your parents think of your obsession with Pokémon back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: MTIwNjA4NjMzODE2OTA5MzI0.jpg (84 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTIwNjA4NjMzODE2OTA5MzI0.jpg
84 KB, 1200x1200
What did your parents think of your obsession with Pokémon back then as a child? Did they disapprove of it? Or did they not care?

What would they say about the lingering obsession now?
>>
>>26153263
Parents thought pokemon was cute, so they mostly were okay with it. Nowadays they only question why a 19 year old would still play it, but besides that, they don't really care
>>
They encouraged my obsession by buying me thousands of dollars worth of shit.

Nowadays they just don't care. They know I still like Pokemon but I'm not a sperg about it. I just buy the games and shitpost on /vp/
>>
But I was never obsessed, anon. I was a tiny bit obsessed with Mega Man though
>>
>>26153263
They loved Pokémon, the same way. as I still do.
>>
>>26153334
Richard
>>
>>26153263
after i told them that pokemon is an anime and what animes are they understood

it took legit 3 minutes for me to solve the captcha because they turn white and it doesnt work wtf is this
>>
>>26153302
Pretty much this, only they weren't trying to "feed my obsession". They just bought me what I liked
>>
They never cared and just shrugged. They literally bought me shit from the animmo first, so when I wanted the actual games, they never really bat a eye.

They used to look on and shit, and thought it was lively and interesting.
>>
>>26153263
It's natural and even healthy for a child to indulge in such things, so they followed along.
>>
I'm good at hiding my power level so parents mostly have no idea about my interests, as I don't collect figures and merch that immediately points to Pokémon. I casually mentioned to my mom that I like the games when it was brought up, but that's it. She doesn't care, probably forgot by now.
>>
every single child in the civilized world was playing pokemon. it was as casual as it gets.

>implying i'm obsessed now
not with pokemon anyway.
>>
>>26153302
This, except it was more like hundreds because we didn't have very much money. I got the games, sometimes cards or other toys, that was enough for me.
>>
my parent beated my up when pokemon wanted to be
I was very sad kid
>>
My parents were fine with it, but one kid at school would spout (he got this from his mom obviously) that Pokemon was 'of the devil lmao. He was one of those kids with no friends too
>>
Mom's favorite was jigglypuff. Dad's favorite was onix.

I was a kid during the 90s craze so they were cool that I liked it and they'd buy me cards, games, toys, etc.

It was around DPP when my dad was like "you still like that?" But my mom never cared. Dad didn't care anymore either since I'm a grown ass man and he still buys GI Joe's, marvel hero toys, etc.
his only exposure to video games was arcade stuff like pacman, galaga, etc. so I understood where he was coming from.

My mom is actually upset that I'm done with it after sun/moon. Explained to her how I'm just getting less and less into vidya and she understands but is upset to see that part of me fizzle out.
>>
My parent's were the pokemon = devil type of deal so i just bought stuff from my money and kept it a secret.
>>
My parents were both cool with it. Dad didn't care what i was into and even when i became a teen he'd still buy me merch he just didn't want to be seen taking me to events. He'd roll his eyes at the cartoon but would watch the fights sometimes.

Mom doesn't quite understand it beyond its that cartoon kids like. She tried playing ruby tho and loved it despite getting stuck almost instantly. She literally belives its about catching every last pokemon and had a box full of wurmples and zigzagoons. She was part of some god obsessed cult when i was little but was smart enough to know their pokemon is evil handouts were full of shit. They burned our astronomy books but she wouldn't let them near our pokemon stash.
>>
>>26153263
my dad has no idea pokemon exist as far as i know, my mum sorta knew about it when the first series was airing because i'd cry like a little bitch when i'd miss an episode, don't think she knows it's still a thing now though
>>
>>26153654
It'll be sad to see you go, anon.
>>
>>26153263
They didn't care then, they sure as hell don't care now.
>>
Considering they bought me the games and let me watch the TV show, I'm pretty sure they were fine with it. I mean, hell, when I was playing Sapphire in third grade, my dad printed out a braille-to-english alphabet and we laid them all out on the living room floor and translated every part of the Regi rooms.

Good times man, good times. If only ORAS changed the answers a bit, then maybe I'd want to do the puzzles then.
>>
>>26153733

Man I wish my parents would have tried out pokemon now. I feel like my Dad would probably have raised a team of electric-types just because he's an electrician and he knows that would have gotten a laugh outta me. Mom would probably go through the story and Karenfag the shit out of it.
>>
>>26153263
My father was disappointed because he wanted me to be a hockey man like he was
My mother didn't just approve of it, she'd play Stadium rental battles with me.
>>
>>26158018
What's probably gonna happen is that I go full fucking NORMIE mode and buy the latest handheld/game whenever they come out, beat it, and never touch them again, which is basically what happened with XY/ORAS except for that I bought the 3ds on launch.
>>
I was never obsessed with it, it was just another game/show/toy that I liked. They bought me stuff every now and then and that was that.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.