[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that every rock-type move with one exception-Head Smash[/spoiler]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1429759404673.png (432 KB, 1278x720) Image search: [Google]
1429759404673.png
432 KB, 1278x720
Why is it that every rock-type move with one exception-Head Smash[/spoiler] is some variation of "the user throws a rock at the foe" whereas every variation of a Steel-type move is "the user makes it's body hard as metal and attacks"? We only have one move that works the way that Rock-type attacks do: Magnet Bomb.

If you look at descriptions for physical water-type moves like Waterfall and Aqua Tail, they don't include water at all. They're just moves that can affect water. Why can't we get a reasoning like this that applies to rock-type moves to increase diversity? Why can't we have a Rock Jaw Tyrantrum or whatever? That might actually make Strong Jaw worth using over Rock Head.

And we could have more Steel-type mvoes that involve launching hunks of metal too
>>
File: james-1.jpg (103 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
james-1.jpg
103 KB, 1024x768
>>26147304
>Rollout
>Stone Edge
>Gear Grind apparently
>any special move
I want to see more flavorful attacks in general for these types. Steel and Rock could both deal with magnetism, and you could do tons of Rock moves based on gems. Rocks aren't just brown and gray after all.
>>
>>26147587
Stone Edge is "the user attacks with a sharpened stone from below", how is that not a variation of just attacking with rocks?
>>
>>26147304
And on that note, why does basically every rock move have reduced accuracy
>>
>>26147618
Yeah it's still rocks, but they aren't thrown rocks.
I wouldn't have mentioned it before gen 6 but it looks cool as shit now.
>>
>>26147304
>Power Gem
>Rollout

>Doom Desire
>Flash Cannon
>Gyro Ball
>Heavy Slam
>Mirror Shot

I'll give you that Rock is kind of monotonous aside from its Status moves, but Steel isn't a problem.
>>
>>26147700
none of those moves are physical aside from gyro ball and heavy slam, which are a metal rapid spin and a metal body slam, respectively

just realized how fucking terribly i ruined the spoilers, i'm ashamed desu senpai
>>
>>26147304
>still no petrifying move
>rock-type w/freeze chance
>>
>>26147722
Wasn't aware that you only referred to physical moves.

Nothing about Gyro Ball and Heavy Slam requires the user to have a metal body though, that's purely your assumption.
>>
>>26147587
>>26147618
>>26147671
>>26147700
How about Petroleum and Tar?

Slow down your enemies! Boost your speed! Force them to set themselves on fire! Petroleum and Tar!
>>
I want more 100% accuracy Rock moves.
>>
>>26147849
A not shitty version of Powder would be really cool. Preferably with some base Power aside from the Fire thing.
>>
>>26147304
That's a bad analogy due to rocks being seen as physical and water as special. It's easy to come up with physical Rock moves, which usually is just a variant of "the user throws a rock at the foe" as you said, but the (few) special moves are more creative.
The opposite is true for Water. It is easy to come up with special moves, usually just a variant of "the user throws a water at the foe" while the physical moves are more creative, but fewer.
>>
>>26147946
Even the special Rock moves are all "the user throws a rock at the foe".
>>
File: 1330435107457.gif (608 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1330435107457.gif
608 KB, 300x225
Tar Spray
Rock type
50 base power
Special Attack
-1 speed

Any Pokemon sprayed by tar get Burn if hit/using a Fire type attack.

Can Burn Pokemon immune to Fire/Burn normally.
>>
>>26147959
Ancient Power is vague, its text doesn't really specify anything beside the user using "a prejhistoric power", although all the mainline game depicts it as rocks.
Power Gem is a light beam.
And those are the only ones we have.
>>
>>26147849
Only thing is that those make me think of Ground instead of Rock.
>>
>>26147978
>can burn fire types
no
>>
>>26147990
Ancient power is named like that cause it comes from the old times, rock not only represents rock itslef, but how the earth is old and the oldest parts of it are rock.

Have you noticed that most mons that learn it naturally, not egg move, have a relation with either ancient times or the earth itself.

Some examples are all fossilemons, Claydol line, plenty of legends (Tao trio, Memedon, Regis, etc).
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.