[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's clear this up. Do Pokemon say their names in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 3
File: pokemon-x-y-mewtwo-gameplay.jpg (41 KB, 730x500) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-x-y-mewtwo-gameplay.jpg
41 KB, 730x500
Let's clear this up.

Do Pokemon say their names in the anime canon? If not, what's up with X and Y? Do you imagine your Pokemon saying their names when you play?
>>
>>26120161

*in the GAMES canon

whoops
>>
>>26120161
Fuck no. I'm still pissed they changed pikachus cry to that anime crap. Monster sounds are far superior
>>
>>26120193
I don't mind Pikachu cause its name is a sound effect anyway. If Mew/Mewtwo are named after the sound a cat makes I guess that's okay too though I never bought that (I've always favored the interpretation that they were a mouse/lab rat or more likely no particular animal). But there are some pokemon in the games now who says their names and their names aren't sound effects so.
>>
>>26120212
>But there are some pokemon in the games now who says their names and their names aren't sound effects so.
Which?
>>
I guess Pokémon partly said their names since the first games when you talk to them in the overworld in Pokémon Centers pr one just chilling on the street and such, but I always read it as onomatopoeia for how their ingame cries sound.
So many things in this franchise were a mistake
>>
>>26120212
Mewtwos current cry is top tier. It just needs to be updated. If it said, "mewtwo!" It'd be far less chilling
>>
>>26120219
I don't mean the cries, I mean their text boxes. I can't think of a specific but I know they've done it because the issue in the OP has bugged me before as well. I think Starly has done it.
>>
>>26120243
More often than not, its just onomatopoeia
>>
>>26120193
I dont have a problem with Pikachu having an anime clip, but its so out of place with all other pokemon. I just hope they either replace all the clips with anime clips, or just remove pikachus.
>>
>>26120298
I didn't say every Pokemon is now saying its name in text boxes. Just that some of them do and some of them have names that aren't sounds.
>>
File: talkclg.png (1 MB, 1895x848) Image search: [Google]
talkclg.png
1 MB, 1895x848
>>
>>26120351

Huh, I never noticed all those.

That doesn't explain why in all the animated trailers and Pokemon Origins (which are essentially just animated shorts based within the game universe to promote the games) they never say their names. Even in Origins, there's a scene where Red and finds a Pikachu, and instead of crying it's name, it simply squeaks like a mouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-oX6isLDis

at 8:26
>>
>>26120161
Yea, Especially when its gardevoir.

I hope Sun and Moon will implement that
>>
>>26120384
>You are now the Pokemon League Champion
>Or... actually, you could be...
Fucking WRECKED
>>
Pokemon don't say their names

Pokemon are named after the sound they make

Big difference
>>
>>26120428
>Big difference
Not really, especially when most Pokemon literally say what kind of animal they are. I'm not sure if you said this seriously or not but both options here are equally ridiculously stupid.
>>
>>26120428
Then why isn't Charizard named ROOROOOFOAOFHYEAGFKAFBGDJAFG?
>>
>>26120459
Man the Pokemon games are bad at making animal sounds because that's practically what most of the bigger, monster-like Pokemon actually say. Just a bunch of random letters like someone smashed the head against the keyboard several times.
>>
>>26120459
He's just making a scary sound, he can say Charizard as well
>>
>>26120477
You can't see it but I'm rolling my eyes really hard right now.
>>
>>26120457
>most Pokemon literally say what kind of animal they are
Prove it

Protip: Most means >50%
>>
>>26120428
Who could forget chidadadadawhhaww?
>>
File: 1462035750979.jpg (496 KB, 1895x848) Image search: [Google]
1462035750979.jpg
496 KB, 1895x848
>>26120485
This much denial

They are named after the sound they make when they are relaxed

Of course when they are about to battle they make some kind of war cry
>>
>>26120486
Prove Pokemon are named after what they say and not say what they're named
You can't
>>
>>26120496
>They are named after the sound they make when they are relaxed
>Mewtwo
>Relaxed
>That Abomasnow in context
>Relaxed
>>
>>26120505
>2 out of 30
>the war cry comes later in the actual battle

You are basically saying that you can only make one sound and only one sound
>>
>>26120510
No I'm not. Who's saying that I said people can only make one sound? I didn't say that. It wasn't what I implied either. You shouldn't argue against strawmen. I didn't even say Pokemon could only make one sound, since the sound can change based on intonation or wat portion fo their name they decide to say. So really that makes no sense in anyway and is a totally made-up and irrelevant strawman if I've ever seen one.
>>
>>26120428
I can't find which one it is but I can recall seeing one Pokedex entry where it mentions what a Pokemon was named after.
>>
>>26120510
>Say Pokemon are named after the sound they make when relaxed
>Point out 2 that don't
>WELL IT'S ONLY TWO OF THEM HURF D-DOESN'T COUNT
>>
>>26120537
How are they not relaxed? They aren't battling yet

>>26120526
Not an argument
>>
>>26120351
Espurr uses normal cat noises though
>>
>>26120161
Some of them I wouldn't mind, if I can actually imagine them making said sounds.
However in most cases it would suck, say a Talonflame screaming its name is just ridiculous.

But to answer your question, no they don't. Their sound clip is literally the canon sound in the games, there's no techincal limitations like during the earlier games if they wanted them to actually say the names. As for speech bubbles they go all over the place. I'm sure somebody has that image of all the different sounds different interactive Espurr in XY make.
>>
>>26120546
The Abomasnow was being atacked and threatened by Team Flare, and Mewtwo was in constant turmoil before being befriended by the pc, and is clearly not "relaxed" anyway.
>>
GUYS PIKACHU HAS BEEN SAYING PIKACHU SINCE POKEMON YELLOW GROW UP ALREADY
>>
>>26120559
Mewtwo was chilling in the cave

Abomasnow felt relaxed when he saw you
>>
>>26120546
>Not an argument
Neither was your strawman. Going to acknowledge my actual point or are you just going to insist that by... well fuck I actually have no idea how you interpreted what was said as anybody implying that people or even pokemon can only make one sound period so that shit is all on you.
>>
>>26120559
The point still remains that they have two canon sounds:

- their name (they are named after the sound they usually make)
- a war cry (it sounds like ROROAOOAAHWAHGHGH)

They aren't mutually exclusive
>>
The Pokemon saying their name thing works better in Japanese since they often just take a couple syllables from the name and try to say it an animal like way. The English voice acting is lazy is often just saying their name.

So you have Harimaron saying "lima lima!" versus just "Chespin!". Or Bursyamo screaming "Bashaaa!" versus just some guy saying "Blaziken."

And sometimes they don't actually bother with the name, like Charizard's roar, or Staryu's "Hiyaa!"
>>
GWAR

DE

VURRR
>>
>>26120585
Oh, so they only make two sounds instead of one. Gotcha. People will go to any lengths to try and explain what's clearly just pure inconsistency with how they want pokemon to sound because they probably don't think anyone gives a shit, and they probably shouldn't.
>>
>>26120585
>their name (they are named after the sound they usually make)
>usually
The written cries might just as well be really shitty onomatopoeia and being the same as their regular cry. Pikachu is the only who clearly says its own name, and that's not 'usually' by any means.
>>
>>26120585
Mewtwo says "Mew" while his cry cries out before you battle. Explain?
>>
>>26120620
>before you battle
>BEFORE
the war cry is IN the battle
>>
>>26120627
But the sound he makes in abttle is the same sound he makes at the same time the textbox with "Mew!" comes up before battle. If he makes the same sound-in battle
(this "war cry" bullshit you're saying) as the sound it makes outside of battle when it's supposed to be in a "relaxed" state which would be its name (Mew), how does that jive with your bullshit explanation?
>>
>>26120641
What? Rewrite that because you fucked up the grammar.
>>
>>26120649
Nah if you seriously can't wrap your brain around that then you are so deep in to your own headcanon that even if I simplified it for you wouldn't understand the problems with it.
>>
Charizard says his name all the time in the anime faggot
>>
>>26120193
I mean technically Pikachu saying its name in the games is nothing new, it would say its name in Yellow and as far as I'm aware no one has a problem with that.
>>
>>26120821
It's more like people usually just disregard Yellow in a lot of ways due to it being somewhat based on the anime.
>>
>>26120384
I love Origins for sticking to this.
>>
>>26120161
That depends.

"Pika" is an onomatopoeia for the sound a mouse makes in Japan, and "Mew" is an onomatopoeia for the sound a cat makes. It makes sense that some say their names, as long as it's a sound that it would realistically make.
>>
Pokemon literally saying their own names is really, really stupid. Like, really stupid.
I'm glad the games did not have this originally and still don't push it.
>>
>>26120226
Pretty much this
>>
>>26120161
Brazilian mewtwo best mewtwo, look at this sexy voice:

https://youtu.be/QJDabFbVOH4?t=36m58s
>>
>>26120982
>posting a 1 hour video and starting it from the beginning
nope.
>>
>>26120997
> t=36m58s
Strange.
>>
>>26120161
Some do, some don't.

I like to think that the ingame cries are saying their name anyway. If you're a dumbass like me you can faintly hear them too. Mega Mewtwo X is all "MewTWOOO", Y is "MewWWWW".
>>
>>26120161
>all these retards in this thread

THE POKEMON SAYING THEIR NAME IS NOt CANON IN THE ANIME EITHER YOU RETARDS. IT'S An ENGLISH DUB ONLY THING. LITERALLY PIKACHU IS THE ONLY ONE SAYING ITS OWN NAME IN THE ORIGINAL JAPANESE DUB. THAT'S WHY CHARIZARD DOESN'T SAY ITS NAME SINCE THE ENGLISH DUB JUST REUSED THE JAPANESE DUB. FUCKING SHITHEADS.
>>
>>26123193
I hope this post is ironic. They say their names in the Jap version too. You just think they're not because all Japanese sounds like gibberish to you.

In fact, you can even still hear some of them in the English dub. They didn't change Onix's voice so if you listen it's actually saying "IWAAAARK"
>>
>>26123193
>THAT'S WHY CHARIZARD DOESN'T SAY ITS NAME
Actually in the anime Charizard says a really distorted version of Lizardon.

That said in the jap games it isn't a thing outside of Mewtwo and Pikachu if I remember right.
>>
>>26123231
They never say the whole name. They usually just say a part of their names or if even that. Like greninja saying "koga" when its name i gekkouga. Onix just says "aaarggg" 9/10 times.
>>
The only pokemon I can think they say their name in game are pikachu and maybe Chatot it sounds like it's saying its nip name, but that could be like seeing a face in a cloud
>>
>>26123260
>charizard literally just growls
>b-but he's saying lizardon in a really weird way

Kek, can't hear a trace of lizardon

https://youtu.be/5Jl_vrtfhAY
>>
>>26123296
Literally as it's first sent out.
Also check every instance of Ash's Charizard in either the dub or the sub.
>>
>>26123317
Are you rusing me? How the fuck do you get that to lizardon?
>>
>>26123325
>How the fuck do you get that to lizardon?
By using a thing we humans call ears.
>>
>>26123334
Yea, obviously yours don't work
>>
>>26123317
>Literally as it's first sent out

No you don't.
>>
>>26123342
Better than yours if you can't hear it.
>>
>>26123377
B8
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.