[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the 1st gen starter Pokemon so perfect?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: Kanto Starter.png (278 KB, 600x554) Image search: [Google]
Kanto Starter.png
278 KB, 600x554
Why is the 1st gen starter Pokemon so perfect?
>>
Because even the first stages can seem menacing if they're angry.
>>
Nostalgia
>>
The middle stages are perfect. Can't stand Charizard and Venusaur is meh.
>>
Because your very existence is normal, vapid and devoid of any real meaning or worth.

In being so normal you are an exotic failure and will end up in last place in historical relevance.
>>
The evolutions are all natural progressions
>>
>>26109857
>The evolutions are all natural progressions
>those Charizard wings
>those Blastoise cannons out of nowhere

Yeah nah
>>
While I would tend to say that they are the best starters, I don't think it's possible to look at them without nostalgia clouding my opinion
>>
>>26109847
>Can't stand Charizard
When did this meme start? Are you trying to be some sort of hipster faggot?
>>
>>26109836
Top tier first stages
Best middle stages
Venusaur was a mistake
Charizard is good
Blastoise is like Samurott: good design, but not a natural progression of its prevos
>>
>>26109857
Um, Blastoise? Blastoise could have been the final evolution to a totally different line and no one would have bat an eye if it wasn't so ingrained now. I Think the only thing connecting them is its shell is the same colors.
>>
>>26109881
Don't froget:
>that red color of Charmeleon that gets abandoned as soon as it evolves
>>
I was thinking about this earlier this morning. The reason why these guys are so perfect is because of progress. You see all these shitty Fakemon evolution lines that all look the same, they just get bigger. However, Game Freak is doing something right. You have Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. They start off as cutesy, round guys with noticeable motifs and attributes. When they evolve into Ivysaur, Charmeleon, and Wartortle, you can tell them apart. They change colors, preexisting features are redefined (Bulba's bulb and eyes, Char's eyes, nails, color, horn, Squirt's tail, eyes, "ears". There is a sense of progression and it is easy to distinguish one from another. Then finally, you Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise. All of those things I just described happened again, features are redefined, new ones are added, these are captivating and make for great lines of Pokemon.That is just what I believe,

Didn't realize that a philosophy on Pokemon design was possible.
>>
For me is the worse one with the second.
Designs are too simple and the only good one is charmander.
>>
>>26109836

Why is the Bulbasaur line so fucking overdesigned? Look at all those splotches everywhere on Bulbasaur and Ivysaur, they're like the fucking Genies in that regard.
>>
>>26109836
>Anchoring or focalism is a cognitive bias that describes the common human tendency to rely too heavily on the first piece of information offered (the "anchor") when making decisions.

Because they are the anchors of what the other starters are compared to
>>
>>26109942
Otter -> Otter -> Seal

Turtle -> Turtle -> Turtle

????
>>
>>26110228
Squirrel/Turtle -> Squirrel/Turtle -> Turtle with cannons and no squirrel elements
>>
>>26110236
You think Wartortle's tail and ears are inspired in a squirrel?
Got this is so retarded.
>>
>>26110285
It's an ebin memé, like Miltank-chan and Rotom pressing a button.
>>
File: Prisman_2.png (221 KB, 505x373) Image search: [Google]
Prisman_2.png
221 KB, 505x373
They're the first of their kind so there's not much to criticize. As for their megas...

People hate Mega Venusaur but GF was just trying their best to improve it's design.
Mega Charizard Ys design is perfect. Looks like something Charizard would actually evolve into.
Mega Charizard X makes me want to choke kittens.
I love Blastoise and I'm glad GF gave it a mega, but I think it's a disappointment. I was hoping they would reposition it's canons like pic related.
>>
I don't like Venusaur, but I like the rest of it's line. Still weird that Bulbasaur was poison type though.
>>
>>26109836
I think its because they are the first pokemons we saw so they are like what pokemon is for us.
>>
>>26109938
I like Charmeleon way more. And the Charizard pandering in X/Y was ridiculous.
>>
>>26110200
here's your (you)
>>
>>26109836
>Squirtle is the standard "cute starter meant for girls"
>Wartortle is cool as fuck with a neat wave theme
>Blastoise abandons the wave theme and adds guns to appeal to edgy children
>>
>>26109836
Blastoise is shit though. Wartortle is good and an interesting design but Blastoise decided to abandon that cool seaweed/wave motif in favour of random, nonsensical guns.
>>
>>26109836
every generation Pokémon starters are perfect.
>>
>>26109836
Can't You think of a better idea than generation wars threads?
>>
>>26110228
>Turtle
Its tortoise.
>>
>>26110729
>Wartortle is good and an interesting design
OK you this is like false. You can say it's "good" but it is not in any sense of the word "interesting".
>>
>>26109836
It's sad that not even Genwunners like Venusaur.
>>
File: kill me.png (77 KB, 237x256) Image search: [Google]
kill me.png
77 KB, 237x256
>bulbaSAUR
>ivySAUR
>venuSAUR
>CHARmander
>CHARmeleon
>CHARizard
>squirTLE
>wartorTLE
>blastoise
>>
>>26110882
Ow my autism
>>
File: squirtle line.jpg (35 KB, 720x383) Image search: [Google]
squirtle line.jpg
35 KB, 720x383
Why is it Squirtle and Wartortle's tails are interesting and themed but Blastoise has a generic tail? I've yet to get a satisfying answer to this.
>>
>>26110392
M venusaur is a disappointment because it didn't do anything. New and clever. They just added more foliage.

M charizard y is near perfection. The only thing is the arm protrusions which should have been left out.

M blastoise fucked up by having shells with canons on his arms
>>
>>26110725
Missed opportunity for mega blastoise to reincorporate the wave features. Imagine mega blastoise. Now imagine mega blastoise with a frilly wavy tail and frilly wavy accents on his face to give him a distinguished navy general look....
>>
>>26109938
I never liked it even as a kid. It's just my mom's dragon. I don't mind dragons, but I like them when they're at least a bit inspired and not just a lizard with wings.
Mega Y is cool though, it looks sleeker and just better in general. I'd like it if it was the normal form.
>>
>>26110939

it doesnt need a justification. wartortle's and squirtle's tails don't share any common qualities that could be expected to be on blastoise.
>>
>>26109836
They're not though. The only perfect starter pokemon is Greninja, and none of these are Greninja.
>>
>>26109836
They're all too basic and i wouldn't use them on a team
>>
>>26111152
>implying Greninja didn't ruin Frogadier
perfect example of 10/10 to 3/10
>>
>>26110392
>tfw loved Mega Charizard Y
>was going to get Pokemon X
>they announce Mega Charizard X

why
>>
>>26111167
Terrible taste detected.
>>
>>26109842
No. I started with Hoenn and even I can admit that these are arguably the best trio
>>
>>26110103
i like this post
>>
>>26111102
fuck yeah
>>
>>26110701

Thanks anon, I'll treasure it always.
>>
File: 1399765045166.jpg (22 KB, 376x376) Image search: [Google]
1399765045166.jpg
22 KB, 376x376
>2016
>people still don't know that Blastoise was designed before its two prevos
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.