[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Smogon metagame worth returning to? I gave up on Smogon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: Cough.png (57 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Cough.png
57 KB, 250x250
Is the Smogon metagame worth returning to?

I gave up on Smogon when they started going a little ban-happy in X/Y OU and I found about VGC being a thing.

Now that I've lost my faith in VGC this year, I was wondering how the Smogon metagames are holding up. Last I heard about Smogon was Baton Pass being limited to one pokemon or something.

Is it still shit, becoming shittier, or is less shit than it was before?
>>
What happened with VGC this year?
>>
>>26076039
I personally think Smogon does alright

I would say try it for a bit and see if you like it
>>
>>26076039
Play balance and have a fun time.
>>
>>26076039
What exactly do you think counts as "shit"? Also, what the fuck are you talking about when you say that Smogon was banhappy in XY?

And also, the baton pass clause is currently that you can't baton pass speed and another stat at the same time, and you are only allowed one baton passer per team. Doesn't apply to Ubers, though.
>>
RU is the best its been in years.
UU is alright.
OU will never be good as long as landorus exists.
Anything Goes is kickass.
Little cup is kickass
>>
>>26076039
the bans make the game better tho

i don't have to worry about getting memed on by stupid shit like fucking stored power espeon, stingulor and landorus-i
>>
>>26076115
LC and AG are pure cancer
>>
>>26076181
You are pure cancer
>>
They've become even messier
>>
>>26076196
>LC
>damage rolls: the meta

>AG
>muh keys muh ray lmao
>>
>>26076181
>Tier literally designed to be cancerous is cancerous

get the fucking new york times on the phone
>>
>>26076246
How does anyone take AG seriously? It's just either spam, all ubers or really bad players who are either kids or guilty pleasure Verlisifags.
Jusy try to play AG with an all Skippy team, it's pretty fun actually.
>>
>>26076072
Allowing legendaries and Dark Void was a mistake.

VGC itself was a mistake.
>>
>>26076307
The bottom of the ladder is the greatest thing ever. You see all kinds of dumb shit used by kids and autists. Once you get to the tryhard part of it, it becomes the worst thing ever.
>>
>>26076321
Meh. This is really only time you get to use legends like that. Otherwise they rot in the box forever.

>tfw no Ubers Battle Tower
>tfw no postgame so hard, you need legends
>>
>>26076163
>stingulor

This meme was never funny. Consider suicide my man.
>>
>>26076246
What exactly are damage rolls? I googled, but I'm still not really sure. Is it inconsistent damage? Say an attack does 25 damage, then 23, then 24?
>>
File: 1412737756743.png (430 KB, 352x515) Image search: [Google]
1412737756743.png
430 KB, 352x515
>>26076361
>>
>>26076340
Can confirm. Once you climb up the ladder you will only encounter your typical ubers team or your typical ubers team+mega fug.
The bottom ladder is the best.
>>
>>26076367
Yes. LC has the widest range due to how low level things are. So it actually becomes more luck based.
>>
>>26076384
>>26076340
>fooling yourself into believing this because you are literally incapable of gitting gud

that's like a chess grandmaster insisting that the best players are the 12 year olds still learning how to play, or a karate black belt going to tiger schulman'sor some shit because he craves matches with grade schoolers who think they're the red ranger
>>
>>26076384
Once you get even higher, you get teams designed to exploit the rules and teams designed to counter those teams. So there is a lot of Keys and magic bounce and Rayylmao becomes not as good as something like Diancie.
>>
>>26076424
*tips fedora*
>>
>>26076406
Oh okay. Yeah, that is kind of lame. I don't think that would be too fun then.
>>
>>26076039
Stall shit was overpowered for the longest time, it's gotten a little better now that Volcanion has come and mowing stall down and stall is no longer the top percentage winning team but stall is still pretty bad. Play smogon doubles, there's no stall or OP legendaries and Dark Void is banned.
>>
>>26076479
A stall guy got to the top of each ladder using stall, even with Hoop-H around. Once they solve Volcanion, they'll go straight to the top again.

>tfw have to wait a whole gen to get the KyuB, Volc, HoopA-U, Primal-Zygarde no stall allowed core
>>
VGC16 sucks but just play ranked battle spot

Smogon is never worth returning to, there's a reason that site is full of newfags
>>
File: 1460576715050.gif (2 MB, 390x277) Image search: [Google]
1460576715050.gif
2 MB, 390x277
>>26076553
>Smogon, the most competitive and serious way to play Pokemon is for newfags
>just play battle spot
>battle spot
>battle
>spot
>>
>>26076826
Ranked battle spot, yes

>Smogon
>most competitive and serious
How to spot someone who's never played outside of his babby simulator
>>
>>26076867
There's barely any difference between rated and regular battle spot.

>babby simulator
Its okay, the big kids will play their competitive and balanced metagame while you can play "Pick 6 out of these OP mons: the game."
>>
File: 1426660842352.png (265 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
1426660842352.png
265 KB, 334x393
>>26077019
>There's barely any difference between rated and regular battle spot
Why are you pretending to know what you're talking about? This is why smogon userbase is a joke, you are a brainwashed little faggot
>>
>>26077142
I've played both???

What the fuck are you talking about? The only differences I can think of are the hexagon rule, a ladder, and mythical bans. Are you really trying to tell me there's a big difference?
>>
>>26076039
Stay the fuck away from OU unless you wanna play 100 turn matches
>>
>>26077226
Free battle has no rules (except species/item clause, I think) and is full of 12 year olds as a result, ranked battles use regular official rules and has a highly competitive playerbase especially because of Japan
>>
>>26076039
Smogon banned Hoopa-U specifically because it countered Stallfaggotry.

So no.
>>
>>26077434
Then what rules are there for rated battles?

Also, it really doesn't matter how competitive the player base is, the biggest problem is the god-awful overcentralization and the fact that in order to win, you have to spend days breeding/training the perfect cookie-cutter team comprised of 6 of the 10 usable mons.
>>
>>26077445
They banned it because it had no counters, and only a few niche checks.

The whole reason behind bans is so you don't have to sacrifice part of your team in order to handle one single Mon. That's the whole reason behind the greninja ban, too. It's beatable, but you have to sacrifice teamslots/moveslots in order to do so.
>>
>>26076479
Don't worry my friend.

I'm sure all the euphoric fellas at smogon are rallying to have volcanion banned as we speak. It'll be kicked out of the tier before S&M come out.
>>
>>26076181
lc is great, i have no idea what you're talking about

>>26076115
ru is horrible. PU is amazing but ru is horrible. all the people playing it have no actual idea what actual good mons in that tier are. everyone uses shit like ambipom and typhlosion
>>
File: 1411694426991.png (72 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1411694426991.png
72 KB, 500x500
Does anyone else here play the OMs on Showdown?
>>
>>26077843
I used to play shitmons, it was fun as fuck but they removed it.
>>
>>26076452
Great comeback, friend. You sure showed him.
>>
>>26077882
Yeah, it's a shame. I know it was an April's Fools joke ladder, but it should've stayed; it was by far the best ladder in the site.
>>
Anyone who plays above RU needs to kill themself
>>
>>26077944
It was great. I also liked Mix & Mega and FU, the others seem to gimmicky or confusing
>>
>>26078200
fu is great, i wish they would bring it back
>>
VGC and OU both have ridiculous shit in them.

OU blocks all the overpowered shit you see in VGC (or free battles), and VGC allows the mons from OU that were banned unnecessarily, and brings a TINY amount of balance to the mons that are overpowered in OU.

So honestly, it's a clusterfuck either way.
>>
>>26076424
>not wanting to bully young children
>>
>>26076039
As someone who does well in OU, the metagame is worth returning to for someone who hasn't experienced its current incarnation.

It's pretty balanced for the most part, although for me it's stale since we've exhausted our innovations and Volcanion is settling into its role as a Specs breaker. I'm waiting for Sun/Moon for new stuff to play with.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.