[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /vp/. I might want to start watching the anime again, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10
File: 1234.jpg (73 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1234.jpg
73 KB, 640x640
Hey /vp/. I might want to start watching the anime again, but what is objectively the best season?
I'm thinking of Gen IV. What should I watch?
>>
File: 1385226296771.png (175 KB, 1053x1070) Image search: [Google]
1385226296771.png
175 KB, 1053x1070
>>26065834
XY > DP > OS > RS >>> BW
>>
Never got into the games of XY, so I think I'll pass on that.
>>
>>26065834
orange isles>indigo league>johto champions>johto journeys>master quest
>>
They're essentially all the same shit. I'd say OS because it's the least homogenized.

Or pick the gen that has your most favorite pokemon.
>>
DP and XY are the best written.

Kanto/Orange for nostalgia

AG is solid for May and Ash's Hoenn pokemon.

Johto has too much repetitive filler but a few good episodes

BW is BW.
>>
>>26065834
DP and XY are the best seasons after OS.
XY does a good job of redeeming all the wasted potential in the games.
>>26065923
Liking or disliking the games doesn't really effect the anime given how loosely it adapts the game's content.
>>
>>26065882
This girl has probably the best champ design I've ever seen.
>>
OS (kanto) > XY > DP = OS (OI &Johto) > RS > trash > BW
>>
File: 1390951253609.jpg (185 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1390951253609.jpg
185 KB, 1280x720
>>26065834
DP > OS > XY > AG > Johto >>> BW
>>
For people that watch XY.
Has Ash been to snowpoint cave yet?
>>
>>26066003
Switch Johto and AG around.
>>
And what about the Battle Frontier eps? Is it better than the Orange Isles?
>>
>>26066049
Overall, yes. The Frontier Brain battles are better than the Orange Gyms, and May's character and Contest arc was enjoyable.

I do like Orange Islands too though, its a fun arc.
>>
File: BW shit.jpg (1 MB, 3476x2880) Image search: [Google]
BW shit.jpg
1 MB, 3476x2880
>>26065972
This. And let's add a picture to that to show how bad BW was.
>>
>>26065834
XY is the current series and by far the one with the highest budget. It's also completely subbed from the first episode on.
Whether DP is better, worse or equal to XY is very much a matter of taste. Much lower budget, though, the first two thirds aren't in HD, and the subs start a it less than halfway in. The dub is really bad.
AG is worse than XY and DP in most ways. It's not bad, but it's mostly full of stuff that was done better later. Not much subs either.
OS is mostly pushed by genwunners, if you're wondering where to start in the first place, this isn't it. It has writing problems up the ass, and while the end product is usually entertaining enough, you can do better unless you really really want the kind of odd slapstick that stopped being representative of the show less than a year in.
BW is just garbage that needs to be ignored.
>>
Huh, Im surprised BW is shit according to you guys. I dont follow the anime stuff at all but isnt BW where Team Rocket suddenly became slightly more competent? Or am I thinking of something else
>>
>>26066033
>snowpoint cave
Anon honey? You okay? You sure that's a location?
>>26066049
The only saving grace of AG in my opinion.
>>
>>26066151
>suddenly became slightly more competent
It was more like "replaced the characters with new characters that looked the same but were otherwise unrecognizable". It was not a good thing.
>>
>>26066168
Early/mid Hoenn had a lot of fun episodes and everything felt fresh. Late Hoenn is when the filler came in the the Magma/Aqua are was bad.
>>
File: Frost Cave.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Frost Cave.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>26066033
Assuming you mean Frost Cave, then yeah, in XY83.
>>
>>26066151
Team Rocket become competent at the expense of Ash (fresh off of DP, his best season) becoming an incompetent fuck and the series, for the most part, being a boring slog.
Also TR have their moments, even without competence, whether it's the way James captures Pokemon with minimal effort, their reactions or episodes dedicated to them
>>26066186
I'll admit that, I honestly enjoyed the earlier episodes of AG, I really hated when it started to fall flat on its face though.
>>
>>26066151

They were more focused on doing missions for Giovanni and pretty much ignored Pikachu.

As for BW, BW is more about the extra characters than Ash. If you want to watch it go ahead, Ash isn't all that good in it
>>
>>26066238

AG was good but Battle Frontier wasn't that great, they had to pander Gen1 to save the sereis. they trimmed down May's maymays in Advanced Generation
>>
>>26066151
>isnt BW where Team Rocket suddenly became slightly more competent?
That's not really what happened.

Did you see any of those early Aqqua/Magma episodes in AG, where the villains were just generic grunts with zero personality that did something evil and either got easily defeated or got away and forwarded their plot slightly, but never did anything terribly interesting or came off as very threatening?
BW turned the Rocket trio into that. Every episode either had them doing some minor shit that forwarded a subplot and not much else, or had them as personality-less villains-of-the-day failing at scheme-of-the-day and basically just being less funny versions of themselves. They were bland and boring as hell and it made absolutely no sense to rewrite them into no-fun-allowed generic grunts like that.
>>
XY is very enjoyable. But it still is a show made for kids. The budget is clearly higher and it manages to hold your attention in nearly every episode even if there isnt a big battle going on.

DP has a lot of problems, in fact its not that great of a series, but the anime has always been low quality and compared to other seasons it has a lot of good moments.

BW was just trash.

I think the strongest factor of the series is the gym battles and the rival. The way ash loses to Tobias is often hated by fans but personally I enjoyed it, though it did feel like Ash got fucked a bit compared to the rest of the series. Depending on how much you like the anime you can either skim this or watch this.

AG actually had a pretty entertaining at the start but it doesnt hold in my opinion. The animation really sucks too. It has that mid 2000s feel that isn't quite nostalgic yet unless you're a hoennbaby. Has a lot of good moments and I feel that the championships are great. Ash still gets fucked over but thats expected.

OS Johto is okay. It has the same feel as the First season but it clearly has a lot more filler. Enjoyable if you want the nostalgia.

OS Orange Islands is sort, and there is actually a payoff in the end. Pretty good.

The first season is great. I would say its the best but not by a lot and from the looks of XY right now I would say it is likely to fall to #2. There really was a semblance of a story in the early episodes of season 1. There are shaky moments but overall it really pulls together well, especially if you tie in the movies. But even without those I feel its strong.

Overall the anime is alright, it's not something so engaging you'll binge watch a large portion of it. It's just a fun week to week show with some cool pokemon battles.
>>
>>26066306
I don't like May all that much tbhfam
Honestly I just liked the battles and team rotations that came about due to Frontier brains being powerful.
It gave Ash a chance to shine against powerful opponents while being at his peak at the time.
Maybe I just didn't feel that attached to the RS arc, but I'd easily take BF over the Hoenn League.
>>
File: 3088epc.jpg (71 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
3088epc.jpg
71 KB, 640x480
>>26066372
May's personality was a lot funnier in Hoenn than in BF.
>>
>>26066348

Orange Islands is a good way to start because it is short, it would take you less than a few days to finish it. Orange Islands has some unique pokemon, gyms are different, and the end isn't too bad
>>
>>26066348
What are the problems with DP?
>>
>>26066512
quality is a bit all over the place. Still enjoyable, don't get me wrong.
>>
>>26066512

It might just be his personal opinion

Story wise it has lot of connecting arcs and 3 movies for a trilogy with the fourth movie promoting Gen5.

DP was the series that made the transition from SD to HD so half of the series in lower quality while the second half is in HD.

Character wise everybody but Brock is solid, Ash was kicking ass in it, TR was well TR, Dawn was moving her way up to some strong opponents.
>>
Go back to your general trashnime fags
>>
>>26066386
Except most of the orange islands filler episodes are mind-numbingly bad.
>>
>>26065834
>objectively
>>
>>26066581
Orange Islands is only 36 episodes long. I don't think it matters
>>
>>26066639
When 25 of those episodes are bad filler that are clearly just treading water until gen 2 starts, it does.
>>
>>26065834
DP >>>> OS KANTO >>>>> XY >>> AG >>>>> OS JOHTO >>>>>>>>> BW
>>
>>26066691
>Orange Islands
>just treading water
Heh.
>>
>>26066559
There was just a lot of filler, and it clearly was pandering to a new age of pokemon fans.

I probably need to watch the movies again, I remember some of them being decent, but not all that great. Don't remember a lot of connecting arcs either, besides the obvious standard ones.
>>
>>26066849
Eh, the first three movies being connected was neat on a conceptual level, but Giratina and Arceus were pretty boring. Darkrai movie was great though.
>>
>>26066512
All the talk about nostalgia and pushing fucking Kanto as the best makes the entire post kinda hard to take seriously.
>>
>>26066849
DP had more recurring arcs and rivals than any other saga. DP is long because they spend 191 episodes in the same region, but there was a lot going on.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.