[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Orre region canon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
Is the Orre region canon?
>>
Ask Mewtist/Richard. He Is a expert on Pokémon Canon.
>>
>>26063045
It's canon, as evident by the status screen "distant land" blurb.
>>
I'd imagine if it's not by GameFreak = not canon, but I like to headcanon that it's connected to Hoenn as an offshore intersection between the Hoenn region and Johto (hence all those weird Johto rejects in the pile of Hoenn trainers)
>>
>>26063100
>If it's not by GF it's not canon
Don't forget to take into consideration that you can trade between the mainline games and Colosseum. So unless the trade machines are canonically capable of trading between parallel universes.
>>
>>26063121
>unless the trade machines are canonically capable of trading between parallel universes

That's exactly what's going on.

We had the Time Capsule in Gen 2. And Gen 6 is obviously in a different, branching universe, so the PokeTransporter app would serve the cross-dimensional transfer.

inb4 PokeTransfer isn't canon, it involves Brigette, who's the sister of Lanette.

Orre is certainly clearly canon, in the same way Yellow is canon. This is a series of pocket universes.
>>
>>26063121
Trade machines do trade between parallel universes. That's common knowledge.
>>
Blast your stupid canon. Blast it to smithereens.
>>
>>26063157
>Common knowledge
Are you schizophrenic, anon kun?
>>
The spinoffs are all "canon", but don't affect the story of any other game, including other spinoffs.
There are points at which the games interact, such as sending Pokemon from the Ranger games to the Gen 4 games, trading and battling with the console games from Stadium through Battle Revolution, and playing My Pokemon Ranch with Pokemon you've taken from the Gen 4 games, but for the most part they're their own subcanon.
Except in the case I'm about to mention:
>>26063155
Bank/Transporter took Bridgette from Box Ruby and Sapphire.

(Not that Bank/Transporter would actually have a "canon".)
>>
While we're on the topic of region canon, does the Ferrum league contradict anything?
>>
>>26063167
>game explicitly says there are multiple universes
>first instance of non-standard trading explicitly spells out dimensional travel

Are you illiterate, anon-tan?
>>
>>26063045
No.
>>
>>26063170
intresting point of view anon....
>>
No regions are canon.
>>
>>26063181
>>game explicitly says there are multiple universes
Correction, it's only stated there are two universes.
>>
>Pokemon
>canon
>>
>>26063177
No, they just have their own weird technology and rules for battling.
In that field Pokemon battle with their strength rather than type matchups and can shield and counter.
>>
>>26063170
>Bank/Transporter took Bridgette from Box Ruby and Sapphire.
Oh, I'm well aware of my waifu's history. Was just explaining it for those who might think she's just an avatar.

Then again, even Professor Burnet and the Dream Radar are canon. So I guess it needn't be spelled out.

>>26063177
Nothing at all. It goes out of its way to explain how Ferrum conducts its own unique style of battles. It's explicitly a region in the Pokemon world.
>>
>>26063198
Correction, Zinnia pondered on there being two universes because of how that tied into the plot. There was a a second universe, because the meteors were going to be dumped in a second universe.

Officially, it's all 'baseless speculation'.

Universe might be too loaded a term though. Let's just say there are two universes, and each has divergent timelines (for the version differences, or protagonist changes)
>>
>>26063210
>my waifu
Top tier taste.

It's hard to claim that Box and Bank have canon or promote continuity, considering they're just storage applications, but at least they remembered her.
>>
>>26063233
God I hate Zinnia.
>>
>>26063233
>Pondered
She outright said that her clan was observing the other universe for generations so the other universe does in fact exist outside of the hypothetical.
The pondering comes into play when they were unsure where the meteor would go with it potentially hitting this other universe's hoenn.

In other words, Two universes = canon, wormhole effect = speculation.
>>
>>26063045
>Agata Forest
Whoever made this map had been playing too much Okami
>>
While we're on the subject of canon, I'm not one of those chucklefucks who thinks Megas and Fairy-type should be removed forever, but I wonder if GF would ever consider expanding on that multiverse shit beyond being a plot device for explaining why Megas and Fairies didn't exist before, and actually make another game in the universe where there are no Megas or Fairies.
They clearly never will, but it's nice to wonder.
>>
Regions are canon only to themselves.
>>
>>26063236
The point I make is, Bridgette isn't some sort of Hal-3000 AI that exists only in the cloud.

By virtue of being Lanette's sister, she's canon. She gifts the player Pokemon (in Box and Bank), PokeMiles and Battle Points.

She's as canon as Celio, you just don't get to see her rummaging about on the overworld.
>>
*goes to war against the Nazis*
>>
>>26063275
Pretty sure we got references and nods to Steel and Dark types after the fact.

But the fact remains, they no longer have to do the 'newly discovered' tapdance, because any remakes will be in the new continuity, where Megas have existed for thousands of years.
>>
>>26063316
Yeah, that's true. I was just saying that since Box and Bank don't have actual stories, they're just wedged into canon by virtue of the two siblings.
>>
>>26063275
Never because pokemon will always be a children's game and never become that complex.
>>
File: brigette-bkt-161-16-9.jpg (60 KB, 578x325) Image search: [Google]
brigette-bkt-161-16-9.jpg
60 KB, 578x325
>>26063345
Ah, i hear ya.

I'm more than happy to take a single line like that and run with it, knowing we won't ever get a more fleshed out background. But I can see why others would be quick to dismiss it.
>>
>>26063261
Read the last sentence I wrote, again.

I guess universe is too loaded a term.
>>
>>26063121
You never played the Delta Episode, did you?
>>
>>26063373
At least they're worldbuilding, I suppose. I can get behind it if they don't constantly make up asspulls. Imagine if they just randomly decided that the professor of the Orre region whose name escapes me was related to Birch or something. Now that would be ridiculous. That's why I'm kind of glad Burnett is just colleagues with Fennel.

Not having enough recognition and fanart is a crime, though. If they did appear in the main series they'd have so much more. But that's just a pipe dream.
>>
>>26063479
>At least they're worldbuilding, I suppose.
Precisely. With the exception of Delta Episode, BW's core plot, Canalave Library, and a few other instances, Pokemon's always fed that desire with a slow drip.

Hell, we're lucky if we get a character connection that isn't solely shown through the anime, as with Juniper and Oak.

I can't recall an instance where we got an asspull like that, in terms of retconing a character to another character. The closest example I can think of is Barry being the son of the Palmer, but that wasn't even a retcon, it just seemed a bit out of left field.
>>
>>26063531
All of these matters have made it impossible to reconcile the game's behavior with the way the world is supposed to be presented.
>>
>>26063556
>
All of these matters have made it impossible to reconcile the game's behavior with the way the world is supposed to be presented.

Eh? Come again? What behaviour?
>>
>>26063531
What I want to know is what their intentions were when they had Steven reference Mega Evolution Acts II and III in ORAS. The whole time we've assumed that the anime and the games don't connect like that, since Ash always solves everything rather than a game protagonist, and there are various instances where they just wouldn't fit together.

Of course maybe it was just a mild reference and not meant to be taken seriously, but I can't help overthinking it.
>>
>>26063531
>With the exception of Delta Episode
Eh, DE still had some connections to things outside of the plot of it and the true face of the devon corporation, especially when you link it with the stuff from New Mauville.
It basically reveals that Devon abuse Pokemon en masse to satisfy the need for infinity energy.
Then there's the whole Azoth situation.
>>
>>26063267
Agates are a type of metamorphic rock, anon.
>>
>>26063601
It's not just the Delta Episode, either. The Abandoned Ship pretty much confirmed that the power of the Ultimate Weapon from 3000 years ago was the catalyst for Devon's plans and also revealed that Cozmo's dad was heavily involved and possibly "disappeared" at one point, and that his mom is a huge bitch.
We know Wattson was also involved with Devon, I think that was mentioned at one point. It's revealed that Tabitha/Shelly used to work for Devon, I don't think that was part of the Delta Episode per se.
>>
>>26063587
It's probably just a reference to the specials. But it's not the first time we've had anime in the games.

Rebecca, Butler and Diane are all characters in Diamond and Pearl, albeit it with generic trainer sprites. Problem is, the names weren't picked up on by the localization team.

On Route 229, Ace Trainer Felix and Ace Trainer Dana are Butler and Diane from Jirachi Wishmaker. Butler uses his Salamence and Dusclop, while Diane uses her Mightyena and Kirlia.

On Route 224, Rebecca from Destiny Deoxys appears, referencing her laptop and challenging you with her Metagross. They localized her as Jamie for the games.
>>
>>26063645
Sorry, I mean "Sea Mauville". Just fucking call it the Abandoned Ship like in the original, we can find out Sea Mauville is the name of the ship from the records inside.
>>
>>26063660
I didn't know that. That's weird.
>>
It's way in the future but yes, Orre is official.
>>
Enough. If you really want to support lore, then the gameplay should be against everything you stand for.
>>
>>26063660
Fuck, Dusclops can't be singular.

Also worth noting that if generic trainer sprites don't prohibit something from being canon (which would inhibit much of gen 1), and Prima can still be Lorelei, well...
>>
>>26063689
I thought the whole point was that "Prima" was 4kids fucking up and it was definitely Lorelei making an appearance much like the various other Elite 4 CotD episodes.
>>
>>26063703
That's my point. Prima was 4Kids fucking up. Jamie, Dana and Felix was TPCi and friends fucking up.

Prima is still Lorelei, in the same way these three are still the movie characters, regardless of how much the translators shit the bed.
>>
>>26063723
Oh, well yeah, I don't intend to ignore the characters because the localization team wasn't aware and didn't use the same names.
>>
>>26063275
I could only see it happening in a game that actually uses dimension hopping in the main plot, so you could come from the universe with no megas, but eventually would go to the parallel version with them.
>>
>>26063772
Might be an interesting spin for the Diamond/Pearl remakes, what with distorting time and space and all.
>>
>>26063772
I don't have any expectation for this to happen in Sun and Moon, or in any game really, but it was such a fucking tease to introduce the concept of multiple universes to the series in the same game where we have innumerable Hoopa hoops.

Plz GF, let us travel through Hyperspace. That would be a way to play multiple regions, or portions of regions, without creating a massive interconnected overworld.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 336x345) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 336x345
>>26063772
>>26063799
>at one point you bring Megas back to your non-Mega timeline
>use them to wreck Old Galactic's shit before they can team up with Remake Galactic
>>
>>26063832
Fund it
>>
>parallel universes in Pokemon

Lemme go ask my good buddy T.J. "Henry" Yoshi what he thinks about this
>>
>>26063813
>without creating a massive interconnected overworld
If it's not for the world-building, why even do it? Implementing airports and ferrys would literally be the exact same mechanic as Hoopa-portals, but without sacrificing the world-building.
>>
ALL I KNOW IS I WANT A GRITTY-SILLY UPDATED VERSION OF COLOSSEUM

IT WAS THE SHIT WHEN I WAS 7 SO IT MUST STILL BE THE SHIT
>>
>>26064380
World building doesn't refer to the literal construction of a world.

World building relates to mythos.
>>
>>26063045
>Is the Orre region canon?
To me, any spin-off that admits the existence of main-game regions are canon. Orre explicitly acknowledges the existence of both Johto and Hoenn, implying these regions are connected in the same world and therefore canon.

The Ranger games doesn't mention any main-region names, but do openly reference them through the in-game events surrounding Pokémon like Manaphy, Aura Sphere Riolu and Darkrai. Characters like Murph states that these Pokémon would be better off living with Trainers, and that the protagonist should send them off to a region where kind-hearted Trainers would be willing take good care of them; enter the protagonists of DPPt and HGSS.

I don't recall any other spin-offs openly referencing main-game regions, so while I'm certain the aforementioned games are canon, I cannot be so sure about TCG, Stadium, Battle Revolution, Ranch, PokéPark, Dream Radar, Pokken, etc. etc. I feel like the line's got to be drawn -somewhere-
>>
Reminder that Orre was turned into a wasteland by AZ's superweapon 3000 years before the games
>>
>>26064529
>Implying adding normal transportation methods like ferries, airports and subways wouldn't add more to the world than "hoopla-hooping" from place to place (something only the protagonist would be able to do, as opposed to an established functionality that everyone would be able to use).
>>
>>26064588
Reminder that what you're saying is fucking bullshit.
>>
>>26064629
R E T C O N S
E
T
C
O
N
S
>>
>>26064676
U N C O N F I R M E D
>>
File: Pokémon_Earth.png (88 KB, 1100x850) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon_Earth.png
88 KB, 1100x850
>>26063045
It's likely canon.
It's on the map of ORAS.
>>
>>26063603
I'm aware of that. I'm saying the place on the map labelled Agata Forest isn't called that, it's Agate Village. Agata Forest is an Okami location.
>>
>>26063703
4kids renamed her because there wasn't a way to make the lip flaps work in the episode, something that's been more carefully considered in localization for the games since TPCi took over.
>>
>>26065802
Oh, I must have overlooked that when going through the ol' backpack.

>something that's been more carefully considered in localization for the games since TPCi took over

I think you're confusing the chicken and egg. While I don't argue that TPCi has gotten a bit more competent (most of the time), the Japanese side of things is where the bigger change occurred. Prima comes from an era where the Japanese side of things was still quite divorced from the international side.

It's not as if they didn't have clever ways of matching flaps early on. Ash Ketchum being a perfect example.
>>
>>26066923
Shit, I meant to say, Lorelei came from an era where the localization team and Japanese developers were more divorced.

Especially with marquee characters like legendaries and Professors, their multi-language names are now conceived cooperatively rather than after-the-fact.
>>
bump, this one's worth saving for a while longer
>>
If it has compatibility with the maingames it's canon.

>Orre
Canon. You can freely transfer pokemon between colloseum/GoD and the third gen.
>Fiore/Almia/Oblivia
Canon. You get event pokemon directly from the games.
>Ransei
Not canon. Only referenced through events not connected to the game itself.
>Anything else
Not in the slightest.

Special mention to ferrum for future possibility.
>>
>>26064867
Give it a few years
>>
>>26069740
>tfw a new spinoff takes place in Holon
>delta species transferable to the main games
>>
File: Map.jpg (11 KB, 263x191) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
11 KB, 263x191
>>26069740
No. It's because, Orre, Fiore, Almia and Oblivia are ORAS map.

That's what make they likely canon.
>>
>>26069823
Don't make me want things that'll never happen.
>>
File: Pokémon_ORAS_map.png (17 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon_ORAS_map.png
17 KB, 500x364
>>26069740
most of those regions, you mention are likely, since. They can be seen on ORAS map.
>>
>>26069893
Too late
>>
>>26069740
>tfw My Pokémon Ranch is canon
>>
>>26070222
Well, yeah. Hayley is friends with Bebe, and the Manaphy and Mew she gifts the player have her name as the OT.
>>
>>26070279
I know, it's just funny to think about.

I wish the seperate series would come together in some small way. Like, maybe in Sun and Moon, you encounter a few Pokémon Rangers attempting to calm a rampaging Pokémon. Just something small like that so it doesn't seem like they exist in different universes.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-04-26-00h40m53s41.png (35 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-04-26-00h40m53s41.png
35 KB, 1280x720
>>26070439
"And, in 2016 - It all comes together in a new Pokemon adventure."
>>
>>26070439
>I wish the seperate series would come together in some small way
>encounter a few Pokémon Rangers attempting to calm a rampaging Pokémon

We have that already, anon. It's called the anime
>>
>>26063238
Why didn't Zinnia just summon Dialga or Palkia to warp away the meteor?
>>
>>26070549
They're confined away by Hoopa.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 456x455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 456x455
>>26070549
>Hoopa steals objects and Pokémon from other dimensions
>yfw the Dialga and Palkia from the ORAS dimension were ripped away long ago and dropped somewhere else
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.