[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Gripes about Pokémon distribution/placement For me, it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6
File: 7.png (20 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
7.png
20 KB, 256x192
ITT: Gripes about Pokémon distribution/placement

For me, it's Route 207 in Platinum. They actually put a fire type there so you could get an early fire mon that isn't Chimchar, but it's not a Magby, it's a Ponyta. If I want to train a Magmortar, I'd have to wait until I get Surf, go all the way to Fuego Ironworks and catch a Magmar. It's a GEN 4 POKEMON. Why does GF not want me to have one and instead shove a Gen 1 Pokémon in my face?
>>
Man may never understand why there were so few fire types in Diamond/Pearl.
>>
>>26016729
So few? There were like, 3. And I chose Empoleon on my first go so that means no Infernape. The only one you can use is Magmorter, and you have to trade that shit away for it to evolve.

Oh yeah and Heatran.
In the post game.
>>
>>26016751
I hope they stick some in there to break the formula on remakes having to have the same encounters.
>>
All the Johto games.

Murkrow and Houndour and others are only found in Kanto.
After 8 gyms.
>>
>next to no cross gen evolutions available until you beat the game in D/P

Literally why?
>>
At least in Platinum you actually get options

Diamond and Pearl literally only had ponyta and chimchar
>>
>>26016830
Hell, Misdreavus could only be found in Mt Silver.

The very last dungeon in the game, after 16 badges.
>>
>>26016803
They redid the pokedex for Platinum to include a lot of the 4th gen pokemon that were conspicuously absent, as well as more fire types.
>>
>>26016729
Sinnoh is a cold region.
>>
>>26017848
Which is why they should never have given that gen a fire type Elite 4.
>>
Kalos had no identity. Its native pokemon only comprise 16% of the dex
>>
Honestly Gen 4 was a good way of teaching me to break from the novelty of having a fire type for the sake of it, cause now I know they're kind of a shitty typing.

Even then, back in the RS/Coliseum days I was using depressing shit like Torkoal and Slugma, ever since then I never had a fire type on my team though.
>>
File: gsc-whitney.png (59 KB, 606x578) Image search: [Google]
gsc-whitney.png
59 KB, 606x578
>>26016830

I'm playing through every gen in order in preparation for Sun/Moon. I've "hacked" my Gold ROM so that Houndours appear in the wild straight after New Bark Town, fuck waiting.

Pic semi-related
>>
>>26019485
The new pokemon were great though

Lots of them had unique moves or abilities that made them original as opposed to gen V's spam of gen 1 rip off mons
>>
>>26017799
Houndour, Murkrow, Slugma, Misdreavus, Sneasel (GS), and Larvitar all post-game only
>>
>>26019552
not all of them. even then moves like topsy turvy and rototiller were all but useless
>>
Gen V saving all the cool/unique pokemon until you're already 3/4 through the game and have a team set. Looking at you, Litwick, Golett, Pawniard, etc
>>
>>26017848
Bullshit, Gen 3 is a tropical region and it has ice types just fi-
>>
>Play B/W2
>Want a water type
>Psyduck
>Psyduck
>Psyduck
>Frillish
>Golduck

wew
>>
>>26019552
90% are useless gimmick shitmons that aren't even good by the time you get them

SM is coming anon, you don't have to defend XY anymore
>>
>>26019777
What are you talking about, Topsy Turvy is great.
>>
>>26019937
There is that turtle fossil.
>>
>>26019535
Is there one of these editors for HGSS?

I really need to make the late Johtomons available earlier, but I can't use cheats.
>>
>>26019943
Gen 6 had a lot of quality Pokemon and unique ideas
>>
>>26017848
Sinnoh has less Ice-types than Hoenn in DP.
>>
>>26019485
From a gameplay standpoint that's a good thing, but I see what you mean.
>>
>>26020358
I played xy last year and i've already forgotten most of its pitiful roster
>>
>>26016707
Gen VI easily has the worst distribution because theres only 70+ actual new mons. And then they insert only 1 or 2 of them per route on average amidst a trail mix of gen 1-5 mons. I felt like I was playing a rom hack.
>>
>>26020552
really its more like having 20 new mons since most of them are part of a family and nothing appears on more than 2 routes
>>
>>26020358
>quality Pokemon

Most are shitmons that didn't break even competitively. Only notable ones are Greninja, Talonflame and Aegislash, and everybody hates the everliving fuck out of those 3 now.

As for unique ideas:

>another pikaclone
>another fossil duo (that are even more weak)
>all fairy pokemon are girly pink blobs
>klefki
>tons of normal shitmons that are normal for no reason
>legendaries are literally shaped after the last 3 letters of the alphabet

WOW SO FUCKING UNIQUE
>>
>>26020607
>ice cream
>eggs
>pinecones
>heatran

Fuck off with this muh nostalgia shit
>>
>>26016707
I think they were trying to emulate GSC a little by having the evolutions of previous gens that you had to kind of discover for yourself. That's why the new evolutions aren't even in the original Sinnoh Pokedex
>>
>>26020358
Yeah some of them were cool, but others are just eh.

The real issue is that you cold quite easily play a new generation without using a single new pokemon other than the starters. And for every Aegislash there's a Vivillon or Aromatisse.

And they couldn't even stat the new stuff so they'd actually be usable. Goodra is fucking terrible for a pseudo-legendary.
>>
>>26019937
Azurill
>>
>>26019937
They improved my movepool pretty decently in Gen V though. I am a top tier mon, at least in-game anyways.
>>
>>26020552
VI was great for me as a returner who last played Sapphire properly. And it finally allows you to build a real team with nearly all the types you may want (besides Ice, which mostly are in the Frost Cavern only) before the second gym.

Which is a large step up from gen III and IV (can't speak about V).
>>
The one thing that annoyed me about Plantium's distribution was that it actually managed to get rid of it's own generation's pokemon.

They removed Murkrow and Misdreavus, meaning their new evolutions were unobtainable, and they entirely removed Skuntank.

Almost as bad as Gen 5 making Zorua/zoroark their mascot, and then locking it behind events.
>>
Pokemon games are almost always bad with distribution. The only ones that have a good regional dex is B2W2 and maybe E.
>>
>>26020747
rs has decent type distribution outside ice types which don't really exist outside of a single out of the way cave near the end of the game.
>>
File: English-FireredNameEntry.png (4 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
English-FireredNameEntry.png
4 KB, 240x160
>>26020699
Tell me about your name! Why do you post in the thread?
>>
>>26020798
And Fire-types with more than 40 base speed.
>>
>>26020747
That's more an issue of the massive gap between the first and second gyms.

I mean there are like 6 or 7 routes/caves that you'd pass through between the two gyms, so there's plenty of opportunity to pad out a team.
>>
File: 1455270406959.png (111 KB, 484x483) Image search: [Google]
1455270406959.png
111 KB, 484x483
>>26020819
I am literally me.
>>
>>26019937
they're are plenty of water pokemon in Undella town or route 13
>>
>>26020234
that's postgame in B2/W2
>>
>>26021027
Kek, was waiting for this
>>
>>26016707

Why it's almost as if they wanted you to play the game to find all the new and interesting stuff rather than just cum it all out in a big wank all over route 1. The crazy bastards wanting you to actually enjoy the whole game rather than just truckle around it for a day and move on to the next £30+ game.
>>
I thought XY had a ton of new pokémon then I remembered I never played the BW games
Also a lot of the features I like in XY were actually introduced in BW
>>
I don't really understand the point of "baby" pokemon in general

like whats the point of Pichu if you only ever find Pikachu in the wild?

why didn't they just make these normal first stage evolutions
>>
>>26021878
Some babies can be found in the wild. And that first batch of babies was mostly just to make the breeding system look more special when they introduced it.
>>
>>26021906

it still doesn't really make any sense

baby pokemon were meant to be some sort of incentive to use the new breeding system

but the whole point of first stage pokemon is that they're weaker than later stages obviously

why would you ever want to go out of your way to use this breeding system that takes so much time just so you can have the privilege of using a weaker pokemon than one you can catch and already be training in much less time

I mean I know that using the breeding system does have benefits but those benefits aren't really affected by the existence of baby pokemon
>>
>>26021988

Because they're cute. Not everyone enjoys pokemon just for the battling. Some people enjoy pokemon just for the catching and collecting cute/cool creatures.
>>
>>26019937

Vaporeon
>>
>>26020607
Gen 6 mons are all pretty useful, m8. You are not being fair. Diggersby has HUGE POWER and a great movepool. Vivillon best Bug/Flying in the start of the games, Talonflame is nice. Aegislash kill everything even in Elite 4, the Fairy Trio were all great ingame, Meowstic is average, but its movepool and evolution level makes up for it. Even Dedenne came to be at the same level of usability as Emolga.

Taking out a few like Carbink, damn even Aurorus has a niche with that Refrigerate Hyper Voice.
>>
File: 1447785643957.jpg (60 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1447785643957.jpg
60 KB, 500x667
>>26016707
God, Platinum is aesthetic
>>
>>26022144
>Diggersby has HUGE POWER and a great movepool.
Friend safari only, we're talking about placement here.
>Refrigerate Hyper Voice
Now we're not even in the same game anymore.
>>
File: ice.png (318 KB, 1080x385) Image search: [Google]
ice.png
318 KB, 1080x385
Literally all ice types.
Why are they kept out of reach until the very moment they're useless?
It's weak to everything, yet Pryce, Candice, Glacia, Brycen and Wulfric are some of the latest battles in their respective regions, as are their Pokemon.

As far as I can remember, the earliest ice type available is Amaura in XY, which is absolutely awful because it's part Rock. Apart from that it's probably Lapras in XY, which I'd already trained a dozen times over the past 20 fucking years.

Behind those two, ice types seem to be off limits until the 7th badge.
>>
>>26023478
Avalugg is great ingame
>>
>>26023914
Found so too, but only because I got a 4V breedject Bergmite early into the game through Wonder Trade.
>>
In general, some Pokemon should be more readily available. I want Koffing, Houndour and Numel and such around the start of the game, not near the end.
>>
>>26023478
Can someone make a list with 10 good Ice types, not counting legendaries?
>>
>>26024089
>you are now aware that according to Gamefreak's design, the last non-legendary Pokemon in gen 1 made available to you is fucking Tangela
>>
>>26024225
Design-wise or competitive-wise?
>>
>>26024286
Competitive wise.
>>
>>26024290
Kyurem White
Kyurem Black
Kyurem
Mamoswine
Weavile
Abomasnow
M-Glalie
Maybe Avalugg
Jynx in lower tiers

and that's it. I'd say the main problem with ice type is that it's one of the rarest types in the game and yet most ice type pokemon are absolutely worthless. Lapras, Walrein and Dewgong are the exact same pokemon repeated three times
>>
>>26016707
>http://serebii.net/black2white2/unovadex.shtml
>Tyranitar line in BW2's Unova dex
>the route they're on is blocked off until after the Elite 4
What the fuck was the point?
>>
>>26024371
Should include Cloyster and Froslass, especially if you would say "maybe" to the garbage that is Avalugg.

And yeah, there just aren't a lot of ice types to begin with. GF also keeps giving them the stats of bulky tanks, even though ice is easily the worst defensive typing in the game.
>>
>>26024371
Witout Legendaries, not considering the Mega since others will get the slot for sure and discounting your two maybes, that leaves 3 decent Ice Type Pokemon. Granted, Weavile is amazing, but all others shouldn't suffer to avoid overpowering him.
Why does Gamefreak hate Ice?
If they'd made Ice good they wouldn't have needed Fairy.
>>
>>26023478
I never used an ice type besides Cloyster because most water types can also learn blizzard.
>>
>>26024553
Honestly I just forgot Cloyster is supposed to be ice type
>>
>>26024656
lol fair enough
>>
>>26016751
The thing is, I don't think you could even get magmar without trading in diamond/pearl
I'm pretty sure they added it in platinum
>>
>>26025122
You couldn't even get the Magmarizer, could you? I think it had to be traded from Battle Revolution.
>>
>>26020284
I bet by now someone's made a separate one, but when I hacked HGSS years ago, I used PPRE. It's a suite of things, not just wild pokemon editing. But it does have that.

https://projectpokemon.org/ppre/
>>
>>26016751
You can get houndour too.
>>
>>26020607
>Xerneas
>A main legendary and cover mascot that doesn't look like a fucking dragon or dinosaur.
>Fairy type.
>Geomancy makes it the most overpowered shit in the metagame tied with primal groudon.

It's the most fucking unique and original legendary created after Gen 3.
>>
>>26025551
>its good because its strong
I bet you like heatran too
>>
>>26025559
Geomancy is a pretty unique move that makes it play rather differently from other things
>>
>>26025575
setup turn 1 then clean house?

that's basically everything with shell smash anon
>>
>>26025420
Nah that's Platinum only, anon was referring to D/P
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.