[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good ol' haymaker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11
File: haymaker.png (853 KB, 708x498) Image search: [Google]
haymaker.png
853 KB, 708x498
Electabuzz, Hitmonchan and...

Scyther or Magmar? What's your choice?

I used Magmar.
>>
I never used Magmar in Gen 1 because I played Red, and didn't care about Scyther or the others.

I did however use a Magmortar in Heart Gold, it was aight, there's like no other fire types in the game anyway.
>>
File: 1460953748495.jpg (50 KB, 500x714) Image search: [Google]
1460953748495.jpg
50 KB, 500x714
>>25987808
I mean in the TCG
>>
I always wished they used Magmar, Lapras and Scyther as the starters instead of Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur
>>
Scyther was default for me because I liked Energy flexibility. I didn't have any Hitmonchans so I used him and Buzz.
>>
>>25987816
Oh sorry man I played Yugi-Oh
>>
Hitmonchan and Scyther were the mainstays. Hitmonchan because Wigglytuff was broken as shit and Scyther because of his free retreat and immunity to Hitmonchan. Magmar/Electabuzz were usually the two you had to choose between. Electabuzz was stronger overall, but got fucked harder by Hitmonchan. Magmar was weaker, but had a better weakness and hit Scyther a bit harder.
>>
>>25987797
I fucking love Scyther. Zero retreat cost and the ability to throw him on any deck is just brilliant. I had one as a kid and it was a prized posession, then in the GBC game I stumbled upon 3 early on and stuffed every deck with them.

Its a shame that when I put him in my favorite Nidoking deck his grass typing wasn't more useful and I didn't feel like I was taking advantage of the fact he didn't need grass energy. Pretty autistic.

For powering through the 2 GBC games I always fall back on a water/fighting mix. You can't go wrong with some kind of mix of Hitmonchan (obviously), Hitmonlee, Blastoise, Machamp, Gyarados, and Raticate.

I always dreamed of making a Aerodactyl/haymaker deck but I couldn't figure out a good configuration with the cards i had

>>25987943
I love the first batch of pokemon cards but playing against people who know what they're doing sounds rough. All the decks seem samey as well.
>>
>>25987797
What's the point of that Swords Dance if it only lasts one turn? Why not just use Slash twice?
>>
>>25987797
>fossil Magmar
whut. I thought they used the base set one for that
>>
>>25988777
the fact that you may not have 3 energies on Scyther when you use SD...?
God you people are dumb
>>
>>25988789
I didn't play the TCG, bro. Like that anon above, I played Yu-Gi-Oh.
>>
File: base set tcg.jpg (528 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
base set tcg.jpg
528 KB, 1920x1080
>that moment when you realized that not only are Chansey and Alakazam pretty much the only stall core in RBY, they also do it in the TCG
>>
>>25988785
No, it was Fossil Magmar.
>70HP
>cheap attacks so ER isn't an issue
>good at forcing retreats, but hits the common free retreat guy for extra damage
The thing was basically made for haymaker mirror matches.
>>
>>25989937
I just noticed that Electabuzz, Hitmonchan, Jungle Scyther and Fossil Magmar all have 70 HP. Is that some magic number?
>>
File: PL1_EN_128.png (168 KB, 245x342) Image search: [Google]
PL1_EN_128.png
168 KB, 245x342
>>25987797

I loved electabuzz/scyther

Thunder punch was stronk and scyther made the best meat shield.
>>
File: 150048.jpg (37 KB, 324x450) Image search: [Google]
150048.jpg
37 KB, 324x450
>>25987797
Neither. I played Mr. Mime.
>>
>>25987797
Is there any way to play the basic+jungle decks online?
>>
>>25988777
>Two energies on Scyther
>Can't attack
>Use SD
>Add another energy next turn
>Attack for double
>>
File: 31-jynx.jpg (157 KB, 450x635) Image search: [Google]
31-jynx.jpg
157 KB, 450x635
I've always wondered why Jynx was never as popular as Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, Scyther and Magmar. It's also a non-evolving Pokémon (at the time) with 70 HP.
>>25990003
Even better, give it a Grass Energy on turn 1 and a Double Colourless on turn 2.
>>
>>25987797
I just went full Electro-Fighting without a third color and used Wigglytuff. Was cheesy as fuck, everyone hated me.
>>
>>25990012
>Even better, give it a Grass Energy on turn 1 and a Double Colourless on turn 2.
Well, yeah, I was just keeping it simple for the anon who'd never played the TCG.

>I've always wondered why Jynx was never as popular as Hitmonchan
Meditate being more context-specific and with less versatile energy requirements, maybe?

Who am I kidding? It's because the haymakers looked cool.
>>
>>25990012
Disgusting coin flips.

Meditate is neat but >>25989987 Mr.Mime does the job more efficiently.
>>
>>25988777
First turn Swords dance, second turn slap a Double Colorless energy on that fucker and attack for 60 on turn 2 (Provided they didn't Energy Removal you, which h in, like ,everyone's deck at the time).
>>
>>25990038
Agreed in full about Mimey, but....

>Disgusting coin flips
Fuck you man. Fuck you. Do you not know the power of the Kang? I've been using it in the Gameboy game recently, alongside Bill and Recycles and it's really fucking great.

Sure, those turns of all tails suck, but they're really rare.
>>
>>25989954
Because of Energy Removal spam, it was hard for a Pokemon to do more than 20-30 damage with a single attack, so a 70HP Pokemon would take 3-4 hits to knock out without Pluspower. Even hard hitters like Wigglytuff generally capped at 60. 70 HP was just a bitch to deal with. It didn't help that the haymaker Pokemon had cheap attacks, so there were always more in reserve.

A few people also ran 80HP Lapras in Haymaker once Magmar had started to phase out Electabuzz. It wasn't nearly as efficient as the others, but it was balanced out slightly by Confusion being broken as fuck in gen 1.
>>
File: kangaskhan5_1st_ed_jungle.jpg (52 KB, 350x493) Image search: [Google]
kangaskhan5_1st_ed_jungle.jpg
52 KB, 350x493
>>25990055
Forgot pic, for the unwashed and uninitiated.
>>
>>25990055
>Fuck you man. Fuck you. Do you not know the power of the Kang? I've been using it in the Gameboy game recently, alongside Bill and Recycles and it's really fucking great.
Try running a Pokemon with a 4 energy attack against a real player. See what happens.
>>
>>25990066
Fair point, but if I can get those DCs by turn 2, the point is moot.

Forgot to namedrop ol' Oak, that motherfucker is another great help.
>>
>>25990077
In a real game, your opponent WILL have an Energy Removal every turn. No exceptions.
>>
Not played TGC for ten years or so. Why would you not just fill your deck with those 70hp base stage cards? Why bother evolving?
>>
>>25990055
You dont know my pain
>>
>>25990090
Some evolved Pokémon can do some pretty neat things. Blastoise and Alakazam, for instance. They take some effort to set up, but if you manage to do it, it's definitely worth it.
>>
>>25990100
Kek, what move is that?

>>25990086
That's....a very fair point. And in no way moot.
>>
>>25990090
That's pretty much the same conclusion everyone else came to. The only exceptions were decks that needed an evolved Pokemon's power (Trainer Lock, Damage Swap, Raind Dance ect) and Wigglytuff (which usually ran Hitmonchan and Scyther, anyway).

The 70HP basics essentially ruled the game.
>>
>>25990104
>Alakazam

My neigh. Having that boss on the bench is a game changer.
>>
File: GeodudeFossil47.jpg (84 KB, 350x495) Image search: [Google]
GeodudeFossil47.jpg
84 KB, 350x495
>>25990110
Geodude's Stone barrage

I tried running Exeggutor's big explosion/dark electrode in the trading card game 2 but I can't get heads.
>>
>>25990031
That was mine too
>>
>>25987853
>Fire
>Water

>...Bug

Poor choice
>>
>>25987853
But scyther is weak to both other starters, and not super effective to either of them, that's stupid as fuck.
>>
So, fill out what's lacking:
King of Fighting: Hitmonchan
King of Lightning: Electabuzz
King of Fire: Magmar
King of Grass: Scyther
King of Water: ???
King of Psychic: ???
King of Colorless: ???
>>
>>25990126
>>25990128
I think he's just talking about the designs.
>>
File: tumblr_nrhkllzD9H1s9677oo1_500.gif (326 KB, 478x320) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrhkllzD9H1s9677oo1_500.gif
326 KB, 478x320
>>25990135
You're missing the King of Swing.
>>
>>25990141
Fair enough
>>
Back when TCGone hadn't gone to shit yet, I used to run an anti-meta deck consisting of Chansey and Fossil Gastly. The idea was to pick off the Hitmonchans with Gastly and suicide the Chanseys with Double Edge to OHKO the other 70HP basics. Gastly's Energy Absorption could bring back the DCE, so I could usually outlast my opponent's ER.

I also ran Aerodactyl on the off chance that I ran into something that wasn't Haymaker.
>>
File: Mewtwo.jpg (17 KB, 200x282) Image search: [Google]
Mewtwo.jpg
17 KB, 200x282
>>25990135
>King of Psychic: ???
Oh, that's an easy one. This is the OTHER common Haymaker variant at the time.
>>
>>25990135
>King of Colorless: ???
Wigglytuff. It technically wasn't a 70HP basic, but it was used alongside them.
>King of Water
Lapras for Haymaker variants, otherwise something in Blastoise decks.
>>
>>25990165
What about the other Mewtwo, the kind of deck where you have four Mewtwo cards and 56 Psychic energies, and just stall?
>>
>>25990203
That was a joke deck mentioned in some magazine that people mistook for a real thing. Some cheeky kid would always bring it to leagues thinking he was hot shit, only to find out Mewtwo's Barrier doesn't block Energy Removal.
>>
Usually Magmar. I like Scyther, but I never got the feeling like it was all that good.
>>
>>25990218
It was 1 Mewtwo, and 59 Energy. The thing was in the first few sets the mulligan rule forced your opponent to draw whenever you had to mulligan, and you had to if you didn't have a basic in your opening hand. And Mewtwo insured you met the 1 basic Pokemon in a deck rule.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.