[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So can we all agree that Kanto and Hoenn have the best starters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11
File: best starters.png (637 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
best starters.png
637 KB, 800x480
So can we all agree that Kanto and Hoenn have the best starters in the entire series?
>all of them are solid competitively
>all of them have Megas
>all of them have had major/significant roles in the anime
>they're all loved or at least respected
Every other generation on the other hand, has at least one starter that's objectively shit.
>Johto: Meganium (shitty ripoff of Venusaur)
>Sinnoh: Torterra (shitty ripoff of Venusaur)
>Unova: All of them (no explanation needed)
>Kalos: Delphox (ruined Braixen)
>>
>>25987232

>So can we all agree

Stop reading right there. Kill yourself, fucking faggot.
>>
>>25987232
>Kanto and Hoenn have the best starters in the entire series
Yes, but almost everything else you said is bullshit
>not liking Torterra
kill yourself
>>
Two of the reasons there can be easily fixed and maybe are going to be fixed eventually.

Not that I disagree with you, you're right overall.
>>
>>25987232
yep Sinnoh has pretty good starters too
>>
>>25987276
Torterra is NU trash and a poorly done knockoff of Venusaur. How about you kill yourself first, faggot?
>>
>>25987232
Johto jas the best starters. You're right about Unova though.
>>
>>25987287
Just because its not good competetive doesnt mean its shit Torterra looks cool and is the best grass starter fuck Sceptile and rip off Venusaur? yeah kys
>>
>>25987232
>torterra
fuck off faggot I bet you liked that stupid fucking monkey
>>
>>25987299
>Johto has the best starters
You mean the blandest and most uninspired.
>>
>>25987307
Nah. Infernape was just a cheap attempt to cash in on Blaziken's popularity with the same typing. Empoleon is the only good Sinnoh starter.
>>
>>25987232
>all of then are solid competitevly
>all of them have megas
okay but that first statementvis only true because if the second.
>>
>>25987232
>Sinnoh: Torterra
Okay, stop right there. How the fuck does anyone dislike Torterra? It fucks up most gyms in Sinnoh and does Venasaur have a fucking Country on it's back?
>>
>>25987321
Empoleon is alright so I'll forgive you for your faggotry.
>>
>>25987232
Venusaur and Blaziken are in the top 10 ugliest Pokemon designs, and not in a charming way like Barbaracle or the pollution mons.
>>
>>25987232
Meganium and Delphox are awesome.
>>
>>25987340
How does it feel having such shit taste?
>>
File: 1460936878709.jpg (117 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1460936878709.jpg
117 KB, 720x960
>>25987232
>Torterra
>shit
good lord i'm going to have an ucler
>>
>>25987232
Meganium has like nothing to do with Venusaur

same with Torterra
>>
>>25987232
I was just thinking about this and yeah, I agree that Gen I and II has the best sets. All of them are just designs I like, Megas and anime or whatever have nothing to do with it.

From my point of view, though, Feraligatr, Serperior, Emboar, and Greninja are evil. The rest of them are at least decent. Samurott is my friend and underrated. All of Gen IV's final forms are kinda not very good
>>
>>25987232
>implying turtles are frogs
>>
>>25987296
>letting how a Pokemon performs competitively affect your opinion of its design
>Torterra a knock off of Venusaur
literally what the fuck, please kill yourself, you will not be missed by anyone
>>
>>25987232
>they're ripoffs because they're quadrupedal
How does it feel to be stupid?
>>
>>25987232
I actually love the Unova starters.
>>
>Unova having shit starters
You can say what you want about Emboar but you deserve to fucking die for insulting Serperior and Samurott like that. Also, regular Charizard is shit. Hell, it was so fucking worthless as a pokemon that Gamefreak needed to take pity on it and give it TWO megas just to make it not absolute garbage.
>>
>>25987232
Gen 5 is just my favorite in general. I do agree the Gen 3 starters are the best.
>>
>>25987387
Yeah, especially Samurott. It's my favorite starter.
>>
>>25987232
>not liking any of sinnoh's starters
What shit taste.
>>
Johto had the cutest starters
>>
>>25987387
Reminder that Serperior and Samurott are also the THIRD starters of their type so you can fuck off and kys. Emboar is a bro
>>
Honestly I've loved all the starters OTHER than gen 5.

Gen 5 just fell flat to me. Not the original 3, but I couldn't get behind Emboar and Samurott. Serperior was fine.
>>
File: 1395902092769.png (15 KB, 198x247) Image search: [Google]
1395902092769.png
15 KB, 198x247
>>25987232
>hating on Torterra
>>
>>25987549
Emboar is literally that but worse because it's more weirdly specific than just having one single type happen three times.
>>
>>25987232
Explain to me how Meganium and Torterra are fucking Venusaur clones?
>>
>>25987232
>>Sinnoh: Torterra (shitty ripoff of Venusaur)
>Not liking the best starter of them all
>>Kalos: Delphox (ruined Braixen)
That's a furfag only opinion.
>>
>So can we all agree that Kanto and Hoenn starters have the most attention out of all the starters in the entire series?
FIFY
>>
>>25987232
>Kalos: Every starter line sucks
FTFY
>>
>>25987598
They followed the "dinosaur" pattern and have similar stat distribution.
>>
>>25987232
>mega venusaur beats them all
face with tears of joy ok sign
>>
>>25987232
>all of them have Megas
This is not a reason.
>>
>talking shit about torterra

I hope Masuda rapes you in your sleep.
>>
>>25987628
>turtles are dinosaurs
>>
>>25987232
Hoenn's starters are all fucking awful though.

They as a group might be better than Unova's as a group, but they are still pretty terrible
>>
>>25987700
>Ankylosaur
>>
>>25987968
bad opinion
>>
Venesaur and Torterra are completely different in use (although they do look kinda similar)
>>
>>25987232
Sceptile isnt that great competitively and the Mudkip line didn't have much presence in the anime from what I can remember of this shitshow (Brock had one but thats about it)

Other than that I agree.
>>
>>25987232

There's only one set of starters who are comparably competitively viable and better designed as a whole.

Kanto starters.
>>
Gen IV > Gen I > Gen VI = Gen III > Gen II > Gen V
>>
Yes, actually.

Kanto > Hoenn > Unova = Johto > Kalos > Sinnoh

toterra is cool though, he's just not what I like in a pokemon.
>>
>>25987232
I agree that Gen 1 and 3 had the best starters, but youre a huge faggot and I hate you.

Also fuck you, Torterra is great.

>>25987993
They look similar in the sense that they've got a comparable theme. Quadrupedal heavy set dinosaur-esque monster with strong plant life grown on it's back. Of course, they take a different approach to the theme, so it's fine.

Personally I think they look pretty darn cool next to each other.
>>
File: everythingisayisright.jpg (32 KB, 550x343) Image search: [Google]
everythingisayisright.jpg
32 KB, 550x343
Awesome
Kanto Starters
Hoenn Starters

Great
Sinnoh Starters

Good
Johto Starters
Kalos Starters

Why.jpg
Unova Starters
>>
>>25988169
Everything checks out.

I will defend the Unova starters slightly though. I've said this before, but I think that as pokemon designs, they'd work way better as non-starter pokemon. Imagine finding a wild Serperior in a jungle or Emboar on a plain or something, where the encounter is totally optional. I think it'd be a lot better that way.
>>
>>25988169
I don't understand the love for the Hoenn starters

Sceptile looks like trash and Blaziken has the stupidest-looking feet of any Pokemon
>>
File: Pokémon.full.904697.jpg (542 KB, 1052x744) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon.full.904697.jpg
542 KB, 1052x744
>>25988191
do you love them yet
>>
>>25987232
>Meganium
Yep, shit as shit gets.
>Torterra
Bland sure, but I kinda like TreeTurtle. Honestly Empoleon's most shit out of the three for me, even though steel best type.
>Unova as a whole
I kinda like Samurott, not enough to excuse Unova as a whole.
>Delphox
The whole Fennekin line's shit anyway.
>>
File: 1442398747294.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1442398747294.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>25988169
I agree with the order,
but I'd put Unova and Kalos for Passable
>>
> Swampert
> role in anime

Ok
>>
>>25987232
>ruined braxien
We're you expecting a waifu mo, pleb?
>>
>>25987324
No it has a plant just like torterra
>>
>>25987232
Meganium can understand becuase its venusaurs stats swapped

But saying torterras a worse venusaurs is just dumb
Torterra bad in his own way
>>
>>25987367
>implying venusaur is a frog
The designs are remarkably similar especially since they are both quadruped dinosaurs with plans on their bank grass starters
>>
File: 1441500902860.jpg (35 KB, 319x316) Image search: [Google]
1441500902860.jpg
35 KB, 319x316
>it's a "can we all agree" episode
>>
>>25987381
I think you forgot how they are both grass starters, dinosaurs with plants on their back
>>
>>25988608
Venusaur shares similarities to toads and Some dinosaurs
Its not to far off to call it that

And its japanese name just means weird monster
>>
>>25988168
>its fine
No it's not. We're just over it now or sinnohfags who don't admit it or didn't know what venusaur was because underage
>>
>>25988618
Keep crying, nerd.
>>
>>25988614
It's not a frog. Look it up. It's like saying torterra is a turtle. The two pokemon are very similar. Idk why people pretend they don't notice this.
>>
>>25987232
>Sceptile
>Blastoise
>Solid competitively

OH LAWD IM LAFFIN
>>
>>25988626
Even if they were both STRICTLY dinosaurs, (which they're not, Torterra is an Ankyolosaurus and Tortoise, while Venusaur is a non-descript monster that has qualities among several animals), youre still oversimplifying the shit out of them by saying "theyre both dinosaurs therefore theyre rip offs"

A Dinosaur is a fucking huge grouping, just like Mammals or Reptiles. Infernape and Typhlosion are both fire starter mammals, but you dont see people claiming theyre rip offs.
>>
>>25987232
>Kanto and Hoenn have the best starters in the entire series
Well yes but it's because they've had the most time and work put into them

No not as base designs; I mean the Kanto guys were the poster boys of the FIRST generation. They are the icons of their types, they are what 90% of people first think when they think about Pokemon. They were the first to get Megas, and it's highly probable the Mega concept was greenlit to fix the effect of power creep on them specifically.

Hoenn's guys got lucky; Blaziken just happened to be selected in the first batch of Megas due to his competitive popularity. It's also coincidental that Megas were introduced at a time when the community was thinking about whether or not there would be RS remakes, and lo and behold, they decided to do it.

Kalos' starters look to be going the way of successful starters too since Greninja is very popular, Braixen/Delphox are getting attention too; they just need to give Chesnaught some love. They might drop off though as if they gave them Megas to "fix" them people would throw a shitfit.
>>
>>25988656
So basically we have to wait till gen 9 for the next good batch of starters
>>
> torterra
> shitty

opinion discarded
>>
>>25988623
Nice argument
>>
>>25988653
Ankylosaurus is a dinosaur
Venusaur literally has saur at the end of its name
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicynodont
No you're simplifying them by claiming the only argument is they are dinosaurs when any yard with two eyes can see two heavy set quadrupeds with large plant life growing on their backs
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (407 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
407 KB, 400x301
>>25988145
the truth has been spoken
>>
>>25987296
Torterra gets stab eq. Just wait til it gets a mega as good as Venusaur's you fuck.
>>
>>25987232
>Torterra (shitty ripoff of Venusaur)
Kill youssef
>>
>>25988738
Yes, Akylosaurus is a dinosaur. A tortoise is not though, which it's mostly based off of. And a Dicynodont is both not a dinosaur, nor is it what Venusaur is based off of.

>dinosaurs when any yard with two eyes can see two heavy set quadrupeds with large plant life growing on their backs

I guess Tropius is also a rip off of them as well? It's a heavy set quadrupedal dinosaur with plants growing on it's back.

What about Infernape and Emboar? Both are bipedal mammal, fire-fighting starters with fire on their head and yellow curved adornments. Total rip offs!

All you're doing is just focusing on the vague similiarites between the two of them while ignoring the differences.

>Venusaur has a symbiotic relationship with a single Rafflesia inspired plant, while Torterra has a general plot of land on it's back with a straight up tree, dirt, moss, grass and mountains
>Totally different porportions,with head shapes, Torterra has a small, tortoise like head, while Venusaur's is about half as wide as his body.
>Morphology, while vaguely similar, is different. Venusaur's hip allignment is completely different from Torterra's, having outward set front legs and resting, bent back legs, and completely lacks a tail
>They even function differently in game with Torterra being a Grass/Ground physical attacker and Venusaur being a Grass/Poison special attacker
>>
>>25988763
But it's true. Two heavy set dinosaurs with a plant on their back theme.
>>
File: 1460828646526.jpg (12 KB, 407x286) Image search: [Google]
1460828646526.jpg
12 KB, 407x286
>>25987232
mate without megas all of these pokemon other than blaziken are dogshit.
>>
>>25988775
Doesn't make them shit. Torterra is sinnoh's finest starter
>>
>>25988796
Objectively wrong.
>>
File: 1454263627023.jpg (74 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
1454263627023.jpg
74 KB, 800x449
>>25988796
>>
>>25988774
Tropius has a long neck, and leaf wings. Its also not a grass starter. Torterra and Venusaur look very similar in design and theme for starters. The similarities ate hardly vague. They are different enough to be different pokemon of course but the similarities are glaring.

Torterra has no mountains on its back, just dome rocks made to resemble it. The tree is very prominent and unfortunately with the bipedal heavy reptile frame and typing makes the two pokemon very similar.
>>
>>25988843
>bipedal
Quadrupedal*
>>
>>25987232
>Delphox (ruined Braixen)

Sure thing you fucking weeb.
>>
>>25987296
They're plants, and they walk on four legs. Such a rip off. Fucking autistic faggot.
>>
>>25988843
>Torterra has no mountains on its back, just dome rocks made to resemble it.

Except for, ya know, the three massive, jagged rocks occupying it's entire right side.

>inb4 but anon theyre not mountains, just rocks! XD

Still not something Venusaur has.

You literally just keep saying the same stuff over again. No one's denying that there are similarities, but theyre thematic and they end there. That doesn't equate to them being rip offs of each other, just that... similar.
>>
>>25987337
Come on at least challenge me with the bait holy shit
>>
>>25987232
Jesus you tip that fedora any harder and it'll be a mask
>>
>>25988867
Yes rocks as I pointed out.
Its not big enough to have anything considered a mountain on its back

I didn't say venusaur has rocks on its back. Nor do I think it would need to to see the sinilarities. Like you said they don't have tails in common, or torterra's shell, or boney cheeks. They are different pokemon but too similar IMO for starters.

Its hard to imagine the designers making torterra without venusaur coming to mind during the process.
>>
>>25988950
This is still going on? Like fucking hell, they're not as similar as you're making out. For similarities, they're quadrupeds, their designs are reptilian, they both have red eyes, all qualities found throughout a lot of the dex. The only major similarity is they both have plant-life on their backs, but even then, one has a shell and the other doesn't, one is purely the plant and the other isn't, one is a tree and the other's a flower, two visually different types of plants. I'm sure many pokemon can come to mind during the conception of others given how many we've got now.
>>
>>25988145
Holy shit this is exactly how I see it too.
I'm loving everyone defending Toterra, the best final form grass starter design.
>>
>>25987232
The fact that I quietly agree with you doesn't excuse the fact that you're still a fucking faggot for trying to start a gen war. Please die and stop fucking up my /vp/
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.