[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Small things to add finnesse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: steve.jpg (93 KB, 1257x915) Image search: [Google]
steve.jpg
93 KB, 1257x915
ITT we share ideas on how to make the games feel more polished. We're talking menus, aesthetics, sound effects, text etc.

This is not a place to whine about post-game, difficulty, headcanon etc.

I think trainer themes should be carried right through the battle.
I only hear it for all of 2 seconds whilst scrolling through 2 whole lines of text and then I'm forced to put up with the generic battle theme.
It would add to the sense of progression, as the first battles in the game are youngsters, then you move on to hikers, through to psychics and ace trainers etc.

Example: First few hours battling youngsters' shitmons to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpy4DoT_LmY&index=5&list=RDszCwbUsCnyg

Through to psychics with their Grumpigs and Kadabras: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hbk037hBkU
>>
>>25967699
That's a good idea, the encounter music is completely underappreciated by both the games and fans.

The use of trainer npc art is a great thing to come out of XY/ORAS because it brings forward the designs and makes the npcs just as prominent as the trainers and gym leaders.
>>
>>25967699
I really enjoyed the whole 'dropdown sign' from XY.

In battles where the trainers have 3D sprites I think they should be visible behind their pokemon when fighting.

This would probably require a bit of work but I think it'd look good in gym battles/rival battles/evil team battles.
>>
Trainers should have items related their class
ex. Rocky Helmet on the Engineer, Ruin Maniac, Worker
Rangers and Picnickers using berries etc.
>>
>>25967743

Rangers ARE known for using berries.

Ace trainers use items in battle
>>
>>25967743
>>25967750
Yeah, and the rich boys use full restore a lot.

I think it can be taken a bit further though.
>>
>>25967750
they just give you random berries in the gen 5 games, i never saw a ranger using one
>>
I want the line of Pokeballs racking up at the start of a battle back. Also stuff like the gym leader smacktalk and music changing from BW. Different animations for certain moves on critical hit or something would be cool. Some sort of special oomph for when significant trainers send out their "ace", a different music cue or some special cosmetic thing. Better yet, allow the player to have that, too.
>>
>>25967699
I know it requires a lot of work but there are certain Pokémon who need special animations for when they perform certain attacks (I know some already have this but not all) a prime example would be Mega Blastoise shooting water out of its cannon instead of its mouth)

A special animation for the Pokémon being asleep would be nice too, flying types actually landing for instance
>>
Some sort of concession for HM moves when the user is KOed. Things like Cut, Rock Smash, etc are fine, you can handwave that with it being too weak to continue battle, but it can be roused for a moment for a field move when necessary, but why the fuck can I still use Surf or Fly over long distances on something down for the count?
>>
>>25967794
I actually think HM moves should just be something Pokémon can do without having to teach them an actual battle technique. Anything with blades lets you cut trees, anything that can fly lets you fly to towns, etc.
>>
ORAS' HUD in battle and the menu ui is so much crisper and aesthetically pleasing than XY's. The darker shades and blockier shapes work better.
>>
>>25967806
This. Having the HM should be enough. That way they can still block a trainer's path but not clog up team choices and movesets.
>>
>>25967779
Gym leader's interrupting battles should definitely be a think kept in the game.
>>
>>25967783
>Special animations
Yeah, I believe Bulbasaur has a Vine Whip animation but doesn't actually use it when it uses Vine Whip..? Which is shit.

>>25967768
There are many trainers that have their Pokemon hold Oran and Sitrus berries.

>>25967743
I like this. It would also be a good way to introduce certain items that you yourself otherwise might not have found or used yet.

>>25967726
>The use of trainer npc art is a great thing to come out of XY/ORAS because it brings forward the designs and makes the npcs just as prominent as the trainers and gym leaders.
I like this too. It would be cool if their face appeared on the text box when you speak to them too. Or anyone for that matter. Giving a face to every single type of character model would require a lot of effort though.
>>
>>25967699
Idle animations based on the Pokémon's remaining health would be really cool. Have them hunch over and breathe a little heavier when they are at low health.

It would also be cool if they switched the instruments in battle music to reflect the area you were in.
>>
Stats playing into animations a little bit. Not drastic, just something like a move animation going at *1.1 speed when used by a fast Pokemon/Pokemon has its speed buffed, or screen rumble when a heavy physical attack is landed by a Pokemon with high attack.
>>
>>25967836

A nice idea, but if it happens, they NEED to have an option to disable it. It'd get old real fast in competitive, where every mon is ev trained/hacked to fuck.
>>
Even if it would ruin the mystery of picking up a new item, I think it would be cool if they replaced the overworld pokéballs with the items they actually are. Unless they are capsules shaped like pokéballs with the items in them.
>>
>>25967818
Speaking of HMs I'd love to see more that add to the flavour of different areas.
>Use Whirlwind to move a pile of leaves blocking a cave entrance.
>Use Icy Wind to freeze a small body of water so you can walk on it, perhaps before obtaining Surf. It always bothered me that you could get such an OP water move so early.
>Use Heat Wave to melt a frozen lake so you can Dive into it and discover hidden caves etc. Can also be used to melt snow-covered areas so you don't have to ride Mamoswine.
>Bring back Rock Climb.

Of course with so many HMs these would have to be mainly for sidequests only.
>>
>>25967825
>There are many trainers that have their Pokemon hold Oran and Sitrus berries
gen 6 pretty much removed this almost completely, i only remember some Pokefan using Oran Berry on Pikachu in ORAS
>>
Let us search our TMs by type.
>>
>>25967850
There could also be Pokémon resembling other items that act like Voltorb/Foongus do when you see what looks like a Pokéball. As a not-very-good example, thinking you've found an evo stone and running into a small Rock-type like Roggenrola
>>
Even though achievements are pointless, I enjoyed the achievement system in Gen V. If they bring back trainer customization it would be really neat if they awarded you with costumes based on completing achievements. Beat the league with only ghost type pokemon and you get a tattered cloak and a wizard hat. Stuff like that.
>>
>>25967822
This.

Playing Diamond now and loving it.
>>
>>25967843
Would probably count as disabling move animations, which you can already do.
>>
>>25967862
very Golden Sun. i like it
>>
Instead of having to go through a bunch of dialogue to pick up and deposit pokemon in the daycare, streamline it. They have to know how much breeding is going on. Have a separate PC in the daycare that let's you switch pokemon out instead of constantly having to go through the same conversation twice just to switch something out.
>>
File: goldensun.png (9 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
goldensun.png
9 KB, 240x160
>>25967955
LOL I was going to say that's exactly what I had in mind.

Golden Sun's puzzles were awesome. You'd have to take leaves off a stump, then move the stump, then walk across it to freeze a puddle into a pillar, then melt the pillar...such an awesome game.
>>
>>25967914
Still waiting for a Pokemon shaped like a potion.
>>
>>25967971
puzzle are BAD, i HATE puzzles, the only thing i want in pokemon games is to handicap my mons by teaching them useless shitty moves only to move some boulders or break some tiny rocks, that's like some flawless game design right there
>>
>>25967968
With the amount of repetition in Pokemon there needs to be a lot more streamlining. Berry planting and harvesting would be more efficient if it was similar to the boxes where you could pick and plant multiple at once with the stylus.
>>
>>25968003
Careful, you don't want everything so streamlined that it removes any sense of immersion.
>>
>nothing seems to be biting, recast your rod?
>X's berry has been used since battle, re-apply the same berry?
>Use another repel? (Top right corner tells you how many you've got remaining)
>Disable music, or option to adjust volume for SFX, VA and music separately
>Optional anime cries (or realistic cries) for past gen pokemon
>Seasons/Timed encounters/aesthetics comeback
>Option to switch metric systems for 99% of the people that use the English language setting in-game but don't use guesstimates
>>
>>25967971
>>25967998
>>25967955
Golden Sun's puzzles (and everything for that matter) are awful time-wasters that aren't as much about searching for a solution, but wasting time trying everything and the solution. But since you enjoy GS to begin with, I can't take you seriously. Literally the worst JRPG of the decade, literally the worst game ever that falls flat on everything it attempts. I pity the generation of kids that was brought up on these shitstains.
>>
>>25967818
Why even have the HM? I've always thought it would be cool that if a Pokemon can learn Surf, then it can naturally Surf in the overworld without having to know the battle move

That said, how about an overworld screen on the touch screen with an interface similar to the DexNav (a little GBA overworld with sprites) where your surfmons are near the water, stronkmons near a boulder, etc. Approach water, click your surfmon, carry on.
>>
Get out.
>>
>>25968077
>They're not searching for a solution, they're wasting time trying everything
Sounds like you couldn't figure them out.
I guess you should go back to shitposting about how you want a portable PC and for IVs to be removed.
>Muh time waste
>What are video games
>>
File: 1412305712186.gif (376 KB, 294x233) Image search: [Google]
1412305712186.gif
376 KB, 294x233
>>25968077
>>
>>25967699
I want to see pokemon battles from behind my pokemon.
>>
>>25968092
Having the HM in your bag when you aquire it during the story still allows GF to place roadblocks and hidden areas within the region like they do now. They're only accessible when the HM is received so it adds another layer of level design.
>>
>>25968104
>you couldn't figure them out
Ignoring the ones that are literally just memorization. There's nothing to figure out. It's just activating your spell to change an obviously marked spot into letting a tree grow or making a solid ice pillar.
There's no figuring out, as they're not puzzles.

>muh time waste what are video games
Experiences, not chores.
If you play a chorey video game, that's your own intellect you're holding back. That's not an excuse and it's not good game design.

>>25968108
? no opinions given mate.
>>
>>25967828
Pokemon move slower in Gen V when their health is low. I think it happens in Gen VI too?
>>
HG/SS had lots of environmental sound effects, like different footsteps depending on the surface you're walking on, ocean waves or flowing river when standing next to water, water dripping from the ceiling in caves, etc. that made a huge difference in making the world feel more vibrant and real. I hate that they removed those things in the following games.
>>
File: Gastrodon.png (2 KB, 65x38) Image search: [Google]
Gastrodon.png
2 KB, 65x38
>>25967699
ive always tought that the game would be better if not just Hm moves would be buffed but also if more pokemon were capable of them.
take surf and fly for instance, 2 very important moves that you almost MUST have, you therefore need a mandatory water and flying mon, to make it worse? some pokemon learns surf but not waterfall meaning you have to change out your surfer.
waterfall surf and fly should get broader coverage, think things like golurk who isnt a flying type yet learns fly, more like this, im sure a list can be made for this
>>
Pokemon games usually do outside architecture well, but the interiors of most buildings are the same layout, textures, etc. I think it's be cool if each town had the interiors of their buildings match up more aesthetically with their outsides.
>>
>>25968043
Maybe there should be more upgrades to facilities added to post game. Like Exp Share (All) added to post game only, upgrading both breeding and berry facilities to speed up the process like what the anons have stated. Post game is usually tons of grinding, breeding, catching and perfecting teams or completing the Pokedex. At that point immersion doesn't hold up as well because it is broken by the player itself.
>>
>>25968155
This. It was comfy.
ORAS breaking from the grid also helped but the blocky environment look is a bit off putting despite the better palette compared to XY.
>>
>>25967862
You reminded me of Cut (in first 2(3?) gens) being able to cut wild grass. I miss that feature so much.
>>
>>25967998

>puzzle are BAD, i HATE puzzles

What's wrong anon, using your brain for 3 seconds too much for you?
>>
File: 1459997191014.gif (2 MB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1459997191014.gif
2 MB, 500x333
I think, on the topic of battle music, the wild battle music should have a lot more variations.

Let's be honest, hearing that same tune over and over can get really fucking irritating, especially when you're grinding against Pokemon, or just trying to get from A to B using the Cleanse Tag instead of repels.

Black and White did try this, with specific music playing for rare Pokemon and wild double battles, but it was only minor differences.

I think Pokemon with extremely low levels compared to your own should have their own battle theme. I mean, running into a fucking level 3 Patrat or something with a level 89 Swampert shouldn't warrant a piece of music like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pYO0aHmez4
Or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50cPOgYCLXw

These are the kinds of tracks that should play when battling a considerably strong Pokemon, or a Pokemon at least 10 levels within your range. These are big, exciting tunes, so it's anti-climatic and irritating when it plays every time a fucking Tentcool appears.

So what I think should happen, is Game Freak should produce a much smaller, toned down version of the wild battle music to play for weak Pokemon, and a much bigger, grander version to play for strong/rare Pokemon.

While this isn't probably the best way of illustrating my point, here's just a quick demonstration of what I'd like to see:

My Pokemon: A level 50 Machamp

Wild Pidgey: Level 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_uv35rKyFY

Wild Pidgeot: Level 43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hAZEQ94plA

I think it would just help make the adventure a little more interesting.
>>
>>25968395

I rather have every type have it's own music, like Earthbound. In the case of a dual type, the primary type affects the music.
>>
>>25968135
>memorization
Let me guess. You're one of the nostaligafags who still thinks Ocarina of Time is a flawless masterpiece. When you boil it all down, most games are memorization. Pokemon, Dark Souls, Mario, Zelda, Street Fighter, Mega Man, it's all memorization in some way. You think Golden Sun is bad because the the puzzles are on par with the 3D Zeldas. You're wrong, because the game's focus is on the combat and story, not the puzzles.
>>
>>25968578
>strawman
0/10 try again
>>
>>25968430
What about Castform/Color Change/Protean ? :^)
Seriously though, I admit this would be cool.
>>
Since they've replaced mazes with fucking marshes, should they just move to console for more interesting overworld gameplay? Same turn-based battles and junk, maybe areas with Pokkén rings
>>
>abyssal gets nerfed
>no really strong Mpen item specifically for AP assassins left
>Liandry's torment still a piece of shit
>>
Separate Music/SFX options.

>>25967733
Having visible trainers while fighting would be cool, but if they're 3D models then the 3DS isn't powerful enough for that, and if they're 2D sprites then it'd look hideous when rotating the camera.
I mentioned both because I didn't know what you meant, since "3D sprite" is gibberish.

>>25967822
For the same reason as I said above, that can't be done in 3D.

>>25968430
That'd be bad-ass! Even if they don't have new tunes altogether, but variations on the base tune, that'd be bad-ass!
>>
>>25969140
Yes it can, as a dialogue box that pops up where the rest of the writing is during battles.
>>
>>25967699
>>25967726

The only encounter music I really remember due to loving it is Youngsters in Gen V.

>>25967743
Agreed. And it could be more than one item too. Like, Engineer using Rocky Helmet or Absorb Bulb or something.

It'd switch up battles and make them more difficult too.

>>25967850
This, I have to disagree with

>>25967896
Yes

>>25967915
Why does nobody talk about Medals? The only thing is remove all wifi only medals.
>>
Bring back the infinite breeding loop from ORAS but make it so that you can turn off egg hatching animations. That way you can just hold the D pad for a few minutes while looking elsewhere without having to check back or restart the loop.
>>
>>25968043
This should be at the top of every thread like this

>>25968155
HGSS just had flawless overworld asthetics. I just wish they zoomed in a bit so the world felt bigger.

Also, on that note, the camera needs to be zoomed in right. Gen V and ORAS did it right. Gen 4 was too zoomed out and X/Y was too zoomed in.

>>25968288
Like Unova. I remember Opelucid City has different interiors to Black City, which is different from Striaton City

>>25968395
Very interesting idea actually
>>
>>25967818
>Having the HM should be enough
I agree. But to add polish to the games, I think HMs should be scrapped and replaced with special key items that allow your pokemon to use their field moves.

Like instead of a gym leader giving you HM02, they give you some kind of harness that lets your pokemon fly you around, or a scuba mask that lets you dive with your pokemon (i think ORAS had something like this?)
>>
The low-hp beeping being an actual song in gen V was super cool, but it definitely wasn't perfect. It worked wonders in regular wild or trainer battles, but it was super annoying to fight Ghetsis with his ominous theme and then suddenly interrupt it with the generic beeping song. Just make variations for each unique battle theme, so when fighting a gym leader, or elite 4 member or legendary pokemon a song would start playing that incorporates the beeping but is a remix of each specific battle theme.
Someone made one for Ghetsis, so you can get what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACNK7qBNhdA
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.