[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's the best rival ever?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9
File: rivals.jpg (235 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
rivals.jpg
235 KB, 1920x1080
Who's the best rival ever?
>>
Sliver
>>
>>25936784
My favorite is Bianca, but objectively, I gotta say Silver.
>>
Berry
>>
>ITT: Gary vs Barry
>>
>>25936784
None of them.

Silver was just enough of an asshole, but Barry had the highest level mons. Cheren's battles were the best for grinding, but Hugh's story was the most fun to watch unfold.
>>
>>25936784
Blue
Second place goes to Barry.
>>
File: 1457646208013.jpg (161 KB, 739x668) Image search: [Google]
1457646208013.jpg
161 KB, 739x668
>>
Silver > Blue > dog shit > wally > nuclear annihilation > rest
>>
>>25936784
All of them were good in their own way
>prove me wrong
>>
Barry=Gary>Silver>Cheren>Wally>Brendan/May>Bianca>Hugh>Calem/Serena
>>
>>25936801
Leppa was the best rival.
>>
>>25936784
Why is Calem/Serena there? The fat kid was more of a rival than them.
>>
>>25936784
Barry; he was a RIVAL, had a set, realisable goal (surpass his father, the last gym leader), that team battle against team Galactic was great.
>>
Bianca.
>>
>>25936821
What redeeming qualities did Hugh have?
>>
File: BW summer.jpg (785 KB, 1045x813) Image search: [Google]
BW summer.jpg
785 KB, 1045x813
Bianca and Cheren because of the nice blend between rival and friend with a little bit of character development. Then Blue just because he's iconic.
>>
>>25936831
Found his side story kinda cool.
>>
>>25936826
I think you have watched the ashnime too much because Serena/Calem was far more rival like than Trevor in the games.
>>
>>25936841
"Muh Purrloin" and "unleash my rage" wasn't a particularly good side story.
>>
>>25936828
>realisable goal (surpass his father, the last gym leader)
What
>>
>>25936863
it was so bad it was good
>>
>>25936784
Barry is my favorite. Blue is my second.
I like Cheren and Bianca too.
Hugh was OK. Not a favorite of mine but fun as a rival.
Don't really like Silver that much but I got why people like him.
What I can't comprehend is why people like Wally so much. He's good as a random npc, but as a rival... the only relevant fight you have with him is the last. Not really a rival to me.
The other rival of RSE is worse though. At least in ORAS they give them a final battle, so they're kinda OK there.
XY rivals = shit
>>
File: 1457659738199.jpg (191 KB, 500x528) Image search: [Google]
1457659738199.jpg
191 KB, 500x528
>>25936831
I like his design.
>>
>>25936874
I guess that's one way to see it.
>>
Silver > Blue > Cheren > Barry > Bianca May/Brendan > > Hue > > Wally >>>> anything xy (those were rivals?)
>>
File: 14572860647156.png (51 KB, 410x371) Image search: [Google]
14572860647156.png
51 KB, 410x371
>>25936889
>literally a Qwilfish
>>
>>25936893
like a cheesy 80s tv show plot or something
>>
Cheren > Barry > Wally > Hugh > Calem/Serena > Bianca >>>>>>>>>>> LE GARY MOTHERF***ING OAK XD
>>>>> Edgelord
>>
blue
>>
>>25936926
Oh, Brendan/May goes between Hugh and Calem/Serena
>>
>>25936926
>Bianca that low
>Cheren that high
ummmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>25936784
Either Silver or Gary.
Brenden, May, and Wally were eye candy and nothing more.
Barry was just a shit rival in every way.
Bianca and Cheren, had development but nothing really interesting about them.
Hugh... was actually a pretty good rival, but shit teams and lack of pokemon on them to fight you lead to him being too easy.
And Serena, and Calem... I'd fuck em both but they're not rival material.
>>
>>25936942
>One of the strongest rivals high
>the one who starter weak to yours low
Golly gee who'da thunk
>>
>>25936957
>Barry
>shit
Spotted the nostalgiafag
>>
>>25936966
>Cheren being the stronger rival
UMMMMMMMMMMMMM
>>
>>25936784
POOP was the best rival. His Feraligatr was pretty dang good in GSC.
>>
Silver and Gary are the best hands down. Rivals need to be assholes so its actually satisfying when you beat them. Everyone else is too nice.
>>
Blue>Barry>Wally>Serena/Calem>Bianca>Silver>Hugh>Brendan/May>Cheren>Trevor/Tierno/Shauna
>>
For me it was Blue, the only relevant, and competent rival really. Blue was always first on everything, plus he had a pretty strong team, he even becomes the league champion. Plus he later becomes a strong gym leader, not some lvl 12 region bird carrying faggot. Silver was just pitiful, being so pathetic, and treating you even worse than gary, without any plus side. He couldn't even beat the pokemon league. The rest? Well, Barry was too fucking annoying imo, so I can't really call him anything other than that weird neighbor kid. May/Brendan weren't really rivals, more like travel buddies. Then there's BW and XY's MPL bullshit, with all that friendship is magic, and how fucking annoying they all were. Bianca is even more pitiful and pathetic than silver, and Cheren was pretty fucking edgy. On the other hand, you had XY spending more time talking about being friends than actually developing the character's story, in the end they didn't accomplish anything in the post game.
>>
>ITT : Gary vs Barry.Also,your opinions are shit.

Blue
>Ha,nope.
Silver
>Now that's a rival
May and Brendan
>Not awful
Wally
>Kawaii as fuck.Great story.Not that much of a rival tho
Barry
>I don't know why I dislike him so much.Out of the whole bunch he puts up the greates fight(Besides OU Smogon Wally).
Cheren and Bianca
>I like them.
Hugh
>muh sister's purrloin,unleashing rage.I don't know why but he reminds me of Sasuke.
Every XY rival
>flush them down the toilet please
>>
>>25936784
Blue is the objectively best answer. Well-rounded team, always makes you feel like you're just a step behind, actually swiped the champion title before you did

Silver is a close second in that he's an actual antagonist, does evil things, etc, but his team kinda flopped and his story didn't provide the kinda closure or roundedness Blue's did aside from a completely random battle at Mt. Moon

Cheren and Barry essentially fulfill the same role as Blue, although the game doesn't give the player any real reason to feel competitive toward Barry whatsoever. Thus, Cheren is a little behind Silver because he's not as original, but there's nothing really wrong about him, and Barry is a little behind that due to bad writing
>>
>>25937296
^This guy gets it,
>>
Cheren > Wally > Silver > Bianca > Blue > Brendan/May > Hugh > Calem/Serena
>>
>>25936841
That blatant plot hole ridden shit fest is main reason I hate him and a huge flaw on my favorite game in the series.
>>
>>25936957
>Barry was just a shit rival in every way.
>Actually a rival who wanted you both to get stronger
>Didn't shit on you every time you beat him
>Rival with strongest mons
wew
>>
>>25936784
why the fuck are barry's eyes green
>>
>>25936784
Whoever is the best, Silver is the worst. Kind of an anti-Wally.
>super confident and constantly talks trash
>but he's total shit
>his team only gets worse the farther you go into the game
>at the end he realizes what a little bitch he is and fucks off to cry in a cave

Embarrassing.
>>
>>25937667
Second strongest mons, anon. Wally is stronger.
>>
File: Pokémon.full.1336524.jpg (569 KB, 1000x883) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon.full.1336524.jpg
569 KB, 1000x883
Not every rival needs to be someone with anger issues or an ego. Hugh was refreshing to me because he had a clear goal and when battling him, the game made it feel like he was really putting his all into it. Bianca and Cheren, while being friendly, are also challenging. Cheren especially surprised me as a rival because he always strove to become better. Gary and Silver are good for what they're worth but their over glorification rubs me the wrong way. Barry is a great rival I liked his personality and team though his role in Spear Pillar is embarrassing. Honorable mention goes to wally but every other rival is really bad/doesn't try/ couldn't care less about battling. XY rivals are the worst however...
>>
>>25937815
Hugh has the worst anger issues of them all.
>>
>>25937858
at least he had a reason unlike Blue or "I just want my father to love me" Silver. At least he has some sort of legitimate motivation for his goal.
>>
Silver's the best, a total jackass who you showed the light to. Garys pretty great too. Wally is eh. Doesn't really seem like a rival, more like a kid you're inspiring. The rest are completely horrible and annoying. As if what they have to say is important enough for them to keep interrupting your adventure. Especially Barry.
>>
>>25937898
Blue didn't really have anger issues.
I'd say daddy issues is a better reason for being mentally unstable than somebody stealing your sisters pet.
>>
>>25937958
Well I can agree Blue wasn't an angry asshole. However I do feel as though Hugh brought back some of the things we like about rivals in general. B2W2 are the first games since HGSS to bring just one rival in. In all honesty if his story had been handled better I think he could've been in an amazing rival (Although I still think he's a lot better than whatever they tried to make Brendan/May or Serena/Calem)
>>
Barry
>>
Wally desu, but only because of the hair.
>>
Don't know about the best, but the worst is obviously Wally. A rival is supposed to be someone challenger, and Wally is the opposite of this. He's always the frail boy, he's irrelevant. You know that he simply can't become the champion. lol
>inb4 his oras team is strong
No, it isn't. Every single battle in game is easy, and I really don't see difference if a character has "competitive" pokemon or bad pokemon. Just use SE moves and you're fine.
>>
File: Wally Team.png (145 KB, 799x701) Image search: [Google]
Wally Team.png
145 KB, 799x701
Wally. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that Roserade though.
>>
>>25936982
Only sinnohfetuses with nostalgia for gen 4 like Barry. He was annoying as fuck
>>
Blue. Nothing compares to defeating your rival on the biggest stage of them all, making him possibly the shortest reigning champion ever, then having his grandpa come to scold him for losing before he could even get there and being a little prick and possibly crushing his dreams of being a champion ever again.
>>
Blue and Silver are the only real 'rivals'
>>
>>25936784
Blue > Silver >>>> Barry >>>>>>>>> Hugh > Cheren >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wally >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bianca = Brendan/May >>>>>>>>>>>> XY retards
>>
Silver because moeblob tsun prick
Green/Blue because strong prick
If N kind of counts because he cute

Least favorite is Calem/Selena/ The other randos because they're flat and annoying as fuck
>>
In descending order
>Cheren
Wanted to win, realizing he can't beat you without training, not a dick or a cold, distant lump.
>Wally
Good battles, good story
>Barry
It's been a while since I played Plat, so I don't know why I like him, I just do
>Blue
Always one step ahead of you, actually becomes Champ, and then a great Gym Leader
>Brendan/May
More of a travel buddy, but stays consistent. Too bad they don't use a mega in the Battle Maison like every other Multi-Battle partner. They don't even use their starter.
>Bianca
See Brendan/May
>Silver
He's an ass, but a good rival
>Calem/Serena
Friendly enough at first, but then they become a depressed, friendzoning, emotionless, blob.
>Trevor/Tierno/Shauna
SHIT
Combining the 4 XY rivals into 2 characters by removing Tierno combining his personality with Shauna and removing Trevor and putting their personality into Calem's/Serena's, as well as fleshing out their personalities more would fix alot of problems. Maybe move Shauna's crushing onto Calem/Serena as well.
Didn't play BW2, so Hugh isn't on the list
>>
>>25939532
I actually liked Wally's original team in the GBA games better. Besides the Magneton, pretty much his whole team consisted of Pokemon that could be viewed as girly. I kinda read into it as Wally having an interest in feminine things despite it not being explicitly stated.
>>
>>25940192
And just some food for thought, Wally seems to be sick with asthma or something which could've worked as a metaphor for when being gay used to be viewed as a form of mental illness.
>>
>>25936784
Blue.
Or N. I'd consider him more of a rival than Bianca or Cheren honestly.
>>
>>25936863
Better than nothing at all which is what most of these other rivals had.
>>
>>25936784
We haven't play Pokémon Sun and Moon, so...It can have a rival better than any of them.
>>
>>25940192
>>25940223
Interesting. Do we have any other characters that have teams that can work as symbolism, or adds to their characters in such a way?
>>
>>25936784
Tierno
>>
>>25940223
that's not how metaphors work
>>
>>25936784
All of them
>>
What's with this Blue/Silver faggotry? Is it yet another shitty /vp/ meme?
>>
File: Wally Victory Road 1.jpg (41 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
Wally Victory Road 1.jpg
41 KB, 400x240
>>25936875
People like Wally because he's adorable, especially in ORAS.
>>
File: 1414705428224.jpg (58 KB, 636x477) Image search: [Google]
1414705428224.jpg
58 KB, 636x477
>>25936784
>God Tier
Blue
Barry

>Great Tier
Wally
Silver

>Meh tier
Cheren

>"unleash my rage" tier
Hugh

>Just flat out bad tier
Serena

>Not really rivals tier
May
Bianca
Those annoying faggots from XY
>>
BARRY
>>
>>25936784
All of them (besides Bianca, who I like for reasons unrelated to her being your rival) are pretty 'meh' besides Blue and Silver, solely because they're actual "rivals". It doesn't feel realistic to have some stranger want to be your best friend and constantly interact with you if you say literally nothing to them. However, it's much more believable to have an enemy want to fight you repeatedly, even if you stay silent. This is why the partners in X/Y are so fucking cancerous; you constantly have to hang out with these fucking mongoloids who are obsessed with you, even though you say virtually nothing to them.
>>
>>25941914
I don't think Wally can really count as Great simply because of how much of an absentee rival he is. Dude just isn't around enough to really be a proper rival. Needed more development.
>>
>>25941914
>Bianca
>not a rival
Do you even know what a rival is?
>>
>>25936784
pros:
>Blue: always has that "one step ahead" feeling to feel like a proper rival
>Silver: I connect way too well to his daddy issues, but he had great character development and hair.
>Brendan: He's may, but a cute boy.
>May: May-ga Milk.png, generally adorable and fun as a character
>Wally: Provides a perfect outlet for shotacons, has a neat final team
>Barry: Most challenging team, apparently a cool storyline with his dad, but i was a pleb and never played in the frontier
>Bianca: Fart memes aside, best rival for lewd, very fun, cheery character that i just want to hug
>cheren: going back and looking at his dialogue, he develops a fuckton, going from "muh strength" to actually caring about his pokemon
>Hugh: aside from his "i'm about to unleash my rage" line, he provides an interesting point of view against plasma that i feel is a nice addition
>Calem: as a rival, he makes me pity him, and is the main source of my bullying fetish
>Serena: Same as calem, but with the cutest fucking outfit
>>
>>25942338
Cons:
>Blue: He's a perpetual dick, and I just can't get into his character much
>Silver: Holy fucking edge, need to do an event to hear his whole story
>Brendan: his oras dialogue was stalkerish as hell
>May: i dont have much for her because in my 2 oras runs i played as her
>Wally: weak and boring as shit until the final fight
>Barry: ADHD characters are annoying as fuck
>Bianca: Fart memes, fat memes, ditzy blonde gets boring
>Cheren: I really dont have anything besides being annoyed his ace is stoutland but he had a liepard instead in b/w
>Hugh: I'm going to unleash my rage!
>Calem: cuck
>Serena: slutty, emotionally traumatized cuck

Bonus N:
pros: He's an interesting character, really capped black and white off as thought provoking games
cons: too much autism
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.