[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >still no nuckelavee pokemon Would be awesome Fairy/Poison
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: 84_Nuckelavee.jpg (299 KB, 1231x1600) Image search: [Google]
84_Nuckelavee.jpg
299 KB, 1231x1600
>2016
>still no nuckelavee pokemon
Would be awesome Fairy/Poison type. I know GF hate making Fairy that are not cute blobs and are actually based on mythological creatures, but still there are some.

>inb4 too edgy
Nah, they managed to adapt creepy Japanese stuff like Futakuchi-onna into pokemon, I'm sure they can do something with nuckelavee.
>>
>>25885244
Fairy = Cute-type. That's literally the entire point behind it, nobody ever thought Fairy = Mythology except for tryhards and /vp/.

Also, Gamefreak is japanese and as such doesn't give a fuck about anything other than Japanese "folklore". Every attempt to pull references to other stuff has fallen flat because it ain't there, they just don't give a shit about your obscure DnD wiccan ass magickal fuckers.
>>
>>25885337
why is folklore in scarequotes
>>
>>25885244
>still pretending that Fairy is muh spooky folklore fae, and not the cute and girly type.

I know you were dissapointed, but just let it go already.
>>
>>25885337
They have a bunch of stuff from other cultures though, like Talos and barometz.
>>
File: sableye2.gif (1 MB, 239x241) Image search: [Google]
sableye2.gif
1 MB, 239x241
>>25885337

>Every attempt to pull references to other stuff has fallen flat because it ain't there, they just don't give a shit about your obscure DnD wiccan ass magickal fuckers.

Fuck you.
>>
>>25885601
Do we actually have confirmation that Sable is based on that one alien encounter, though? I definitely see the similarities, though.
>>
>>25885551
Why can't it incorporate both? Dark-type is called Evil-type in Japanese but there are moves and Pokemon based on actual darkness (as in absence of light) as well as deception and dirty fighting.

For that matter, is there a single Grass-type Pokemon actually based on grass rather than some other plant?

While most Fairy types so far definitely fall into the "small and cute" category (Mawile notably fits both), I think one gen is too soon to call it a hard and fast rule.
>>
>>25885626
*Sableye
>>
>>25885627
*fits both "small and cute" and "spooky folklore"
>>
>>25885244
Can't see how they would make it cute enough to warrant a Fairy type and still do the inspiration justice.

Just make it Poison/Water, Poison/Ghost or something like that.
>>
>>25885627
>Why can't it incorporate both
Because GF decided it.
And doesn't the grass thing you're babbling about work against you? Grass is not literally all made of grass, and you should get hung up on the word Fairy.

>I think one gen is too soon to call it a hard and fast rule.
But they retconned nearly twenty years worth of pokémon retroactively adding the Fairy type, and they did it to cute mons. If they wanted another spooky type just because of the name Fairy, surely they would have picked other pokémon.
>>
>>25885626

>Small gremlin-like humanoid with large protruding ears, clawed fingers and glowing eyes.
>Walked with a swaying motion with their arms raised like they were wading through water (much like Sableye's walking animations).
>Shit like the Mothman and the Hopkinsville Goblin both show up in multiple Japanese titles due to their inexplicable popularity over there.

It would be more of a stretch to call Sableye a complete coincidence than it would be to assume the obvious.
>>
>>25885693
yeah, sadly if any spooky-ass folklore fairies become pokemon, odds are they'll be slapped with ghost type instead.

a ghost/fairy type would be interesting, though
>>
>>25885693
He's one of the muh folklore authenticity people, he doesn't care about what the theme of the Fairy type actually is.
>>
>>25885627

>For that matter, is there a single Grass-type Pokemon actually based on grass rather than some other plant?

Oddish is probably the closest. Its Japanese name means "Enigmatic Grass".
>>
>>25885721
I've been praying for a mothman or flatwoods monster evo for sableye for years, but now with mega sableye that dream is dead.
>>
File: 1375071865235.png (3 KB, 190x159) Image search: [Google]
1375071865235.png
3 KB, 190x159
>Tfw there will never be a Ghost/Fairy Dullahan-inspired Pokemon that uses its head like flail, or maybe its "neck" is a cannon that shoots its head at the enemy to attack.
>>
>>25885753
Regular Shaymin has grass growing on its back.

>select all pictures off grass
>>
>>25885774

Hello Bogleech.
>>
>>25885786

Shaymin is a Chia Pet, so that works too.
>>
>>25885753
Shaymin's back is covered in grass
>>
>>25885787
Not bogleech. Am a fan of mortasheen/awful hospital, though.
>>
Considering that there are already two scary and mean types (Ghost and Dark. Three if you count Poison), is ut really that weird that GF decided they wanted a cute and friendly type to balance things a bit? Would you really have wanted another scary/creepy/evil type?
>>
>tfw no Fairy type trickster coyote mon
>>
>>25885823

>Would you really have wanted another scary/creepy/evil type?

No, but it'd be nice if all types could have Pokemon that didn't quite conform to what people expect from that type.
>>
>>25885847
That's not even a fae.
>>
>>25885847
where the fuck is our ghost/fairy furbait kitsune, gamefreak
>>
>>25885337
Speaking of D&D, so many monsters there would make great pokemon. I was reading Monster Manual recently, and was like "I want this thing in my pokeball" and so on.
They also have Dragon as separate major category of creatures (like Fiends, Undead, Beasts etc.). I guess this could be one of reasons why Dragon is a separate type in Pokemon (since D&D is basically staple of modern fantasy games).
>>
>>25885865
Oh, so you're THAT type of fairy fan
>>
>>25885244
ghost/fighting
>>
>>25885862
There are of course exceptions (like Slowpoke being a stupid pokémon in a type full of geniuses), just trying to explain why making Fairy a spooky folklore themed type just because of the name is a bad idea, and why GF didn't do that.
>>
>>25885873
Well we got a mind flayer in gen VI so I guess that's cool.
>>
>>25885879
No, I'm the guy trying to explain why Fairy is the cute and girly type, and not the folklore type.
Please explain why a Coyote trickster would be Fairy type.
>>
I REALLY want to like Fairy type, but only pokemon from this type that I fond of are Xerneas and Mr. Mime.
>>
>>25885893

Well sure, I'm not arguing that. But a lot of the time when anyone brings up odder or scary ideas for Fairies you get people saying "NO, CUTE FLUFFY THINGS ONLY". I don't think Fairy-type should be something else, but it'd be nice to have alternatives. Granbull is a good one (despite being pinkish-purple, it still looks like a mean fucker). Sort of like Dark-type has an exception in regards to "these guys are all kind of huge assholes" in Absol.

I just think it'd be cool to see something weird and unexpected come out of the Fairy type.
>>
>>25885926
>he doesn't like granbull
>>
>>25885870
We already have two fucking lines based on the Japanese kitsune myth, and another magic fox on top of that.
>>
>>25885244
Red Death pls go
>>
>>25885933
But you selected the Fairy type for nuckelavee solely because it's from Scottish folklore, though.
>>
>>25885916
Because it doesn't need to strictly be the cute/girly type, just like Dark isn't strictly the underhanded fighter type (Absol, Darkrai). What >>25885933 said, really.
>>
>>25885916
>>25885973
Just make them cute and pink you stubborn fuck
>>
>>25885916

>Fairy is the cute and girly type, and not the folklore type.

I don't think that that is completely true. You have Granbull which is likely based on the mythological Cù Sìth (Celtic mythology), Carbink is a Carbuncle (based on a creature in some Spanish book) , Mawile is the futakuchi-onna (yōkai), and Xerneas is based on something from Norse mythology.

Hell, the very concept of fairies themselves are from folklore. There is clearly plenty of room for variety here. It can be both the "cute and girly" type and the "fanciful folklore creatures" type simultaneously. I don't think the Nuckelavee would really work as a Fairy, honestly, but others things could.

>>25885973

I didn't select anything, I'm not the OP.
>>
File: katana.jpg (22 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
katana.jpg
22 KB, 367x500
>MUH FOLKLORE
>>
>>25885984
But how would it fit Fairys theme? Even exception like Slowpoke still fit their type a little. So if you understand that Fairy isn't meant to be the random folklore type, why would Coyote be Fairy? There is already several types that are especially designed for tricksters. You wouldn't put a flaming volcano pokémon in Electric type randomly, just because you think Electric isn't diverse enough, and pushes the electricity thing too hard.
>>
File: umberhulk-3rd-edition.jpg (28 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
umberhulk-3rd-edition.jpg
28 KB, 400x350
>>25885900
Bug/Fighting umber hulk WHEN? Fucking huge bug walking in caves and crushing shit with it's massive arms. This thing looks like pokemon already
>>
>>25886035
>don't think that that is completely true. You have Granbull which is likely based on the mythological Cù Sìth (Celtic mythology),
And right there, this thread became too autistic and farfetched even for me. So long, I'm outa here.
>>
>>25885984
Darkrai is an underhanded fighter, whether it likes it or not.
>>
>>25886035
>You have Granbull which is likely based on the mythological Cù Sìth (Celtic mythology)
I hate this meme. It has literally NOTHING common with Cu Sith aside from being a dog.
>>
>>25886035
>You have Granbull which is likely based on the mythological Cù Sìth (Celtic mythology)
Oh, you're one of these guys.
>>
File: 1458893876836.png (247 KB, 539x500) Image search: [Google]
1458893876836.png
247 KB, 539x500
>>25886095
>>25886117
>>25886129

They're both Fairy Dogs. If that isn't a glaringly obvious similarity to you, I can only assume you're either stupid or trolling.
>>
>>25886142
Then Slurpuff is Cu Sith too.
>fairy
>dog
It fits!
>>
>>25885953
And we have like six fire dogs, countless electric rodents, several large birds, etc, whats your point?
>>
>>25886142
>all dogs that are Fairy are Cu Siths
You forgot the part where they have absolutely no traits in common besides being dogs.
>>
>>25886155

Slurpuff is a cupcake.

Tell me something: why would they go back to a random dog Pokemon from Gen II and make it a fairy type?
>>
>>25886201
Because it's literally called Fairy Pokemon? Would be weird not to change it's type.
>>
>>25886201
Because its species is literally the fairy pokémon, they had no choice.
>>
>>25886214
>>25886227

And why did they make a dog the Fairy Pokemon?
>>
>>25886267
Might just be a reference to its body shape.
There's an Egg group literally named Fairy with all kind of pokémon similar to Granbull.
>>
>>25886291

Being in an egg group is a far cry from a Pokemon's official title being "Fairy".
>>
>>25886366
Not really. Just about all pokémon in the Fairy egg group are small cute ones, that's their shared characteristic. Here fairy is about synonymous with cute. Snubbul and Granbull are most known for being seen as cute by women, so fairy=cute in this case as well isn't much of a stretch.
Certainly no when you're the one advocating that it is a fucking cu sith.
>>
>>25886451
>>25886366
dragon is also an egg group and most of its members aren't even dragon type
>>
>>25886958
Actually most of them are.
>>
>>25886087
Seems like Pinsir

I mean Pinsir does learn a bunch of fighting type moves
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.