[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>easy mode Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Torchic, Turtwig, Oshawott,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 251x228) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 251x228
>easy mode
Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Torchic, Turtwig, Oshawott, Froakie
>normal mode
Squirtle, Totodile, Treecko, Chimchar, Snivy, Chespin
>hard mode
Charmander, Chikorita, Mudkip, Piplup, Tepig, Fennekin
>nightmare mode
Pikachu without picking up the other starters

Any objections?
>>
>>25882061
>mudkip
>hard mode
Nigga what? It easily shits on the gyms
>>
What's the fucking context of this thread? Is it PMD? Is it something about main game starters? What the fuck?
>>
>>25882087
Main games
>>25882074
Who do you think is hard mode?
>>
File: 1459473852330.jpg (26 KB, 150x188) Image search: [Google]
1459473852330.jpg
26 KB, 150x188
>>25882100
Treecko is probably hard mode.
I've played em all and can say with confidence that Mudkip fairs far better in general
>shits on roxanne regardless of being mudkip/marshtomp
>has bulk to sponge brawleys makuhita as Marshtomp
>immune to wattson thanks to being ground, mudshot trivializes him
>flannery enough said
etc. Its main struggles are against Norman and Winonas gyms though.
Also it works out best against either bosses, its weak to neither and can dominate magma well while aqua is fair game.
>>
File: 02324.jpg (101 KB, 700x702) Image search: [Google]
02324.jpg
101 KB, 700x702
>pig of destruction
>hard mode
Emboar smashed his way through my first W2 run.
>>
>>25882061
>Easy
Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Turtwig, Oshawott, Froakie
>Normal
Squirtle, Totodile, Torchic, Chimchar, Tepig, Fennekin
>Hard
Charmander, Chikorita, Treecko, Piplup, Snivy, Chespin
>>
>>25882061
The only hard ones are Chikorita and Snivy since they remain weak all the way to their final forms.

Charmander only has a rocky start but it's smooth sailing after Misty, Mudkip absolutely shits all over everything from early game to the E4, Piplup and Tepig are strong and bulky in-game and Fennekin can make decent use of its STABs when it evolves
>>
File: 1439062774555.jpg (41 KB, 489x488) Image search: [Google]
1439062774555.jpg
41 KB, 489x488
>>25882061
>he didn't immediately pick all the other starters in Yellow as a kid

don't be lying on me
>>
>>25882061
Bulbasaur is only super effective against Brock and Misty. Consider how Venusaur becomes ultra weak against Sabrina, Blaine, and fighting, ice, ghost, flying, and psychics types, all of which are used by your rival or the elite four.

After the second badge, Charmander becomes the "easy mode" choice.
>>
>>25882061
>easy mode
>torchic
Torchic is hard mode for gen 3.
>>
>>25882061
>Kanto
46% of Kanto's Pokedex is resistant to grass type. Bulbasaur's "real usefulness" ends with Misty's defeat and doesn't come back until late game when you acquire Surf.
On the other hand, Squirtle's water attacks are enough until you reach Erika (and even her isn't a big problem considering you can acquire Ice Beam in Celadon).
Charmander's only problem is Misty and some Hikers IIRC.

>Johto
I agree if we are talking about GSC. Totodile is better than Cyndaquil in HGSS though (its movepool is insane in these games).

>Hoenn
Mudkip steamrolls everything, the fuck are you smoking? Treecko is definitely hard mode because it lacks secondary typing, has trouble with half of gym leaders and... well... it's a grass type without movepool.

I can't say much about Sinnoh and Unova because I don't remember them as much as I remember other regions. I've played Kalos once (and with exp. share on) so I shouldn't really say anything about it as well.
>>
Turtwig is definitely good in-game but I'd really argue Chimchar is better.
>>
>>25882266
Piplup line suffers pretty bad because its lines level up moveset is really atrocious, especially compared to Chimchars and Turtwigs who get good moves and powerful, valued moves upon evolving alone. Meanwhile you had a Prinplup that only had fucking Bubble until it was around level 20 while Monferno got STAB Mach Punch and Flame Wheel before it even hit that mark.
>>
>>25882374
Only if you don't have a Combusken by the time you face Roxanne which is possible without overgrinding. Fire/Fighting coverage is absolutely fantastic and Blaziken's low speed is barely an issue in-game

>>25882382
But it can make nice use of the HMs like Surf
>>
when will the charmander is hardmode meme end?
You can ohko geodude with metal claw and you can 2hko onix with it, and you can survive a rock tomb from onix too
for misty, pikachu and bellsprout/oddish are all available early game
>>
>>25882422
>metal claw
>in rby
Yeah it's better in FRLG but it wasn't always that way.
>>
>>25882061
Gen I, II and VI are about right. Although I would say the gen I ones balance each others out fairly well at different parts of the game.
Mudkip is easily the best of the gen III starters, it being hard mode is ridiculous, should be easy mode.
Switch Chimchar and Turtwig, Turtwig is too slow for easy mode, Chimchar steamrolls.
Switch Snivy and Tepig, Snivy has absolutely horrible move selection and just gets worse and worse further into the games.
>>
>>25882422
>needing Metal Claw
my charmander killed it with two Embers and all it did was Tackle
>>
>>25882422
>>25882503
Charmander beating Onix with two hits is as believable as Chikorita beating Pidgeotto with one hit.
>>
File: team water.png (449 KB, 600x574) Image search: [Google]
team water.png
449 KB, 600x574
>>25882411
Things like Surf come along later, sure, but you still have a rough time with how barebones your moveset is and that's usually your only saving grace by that point, as coverage is still minimal. Its so TM reliant that yeah it looks good by the end game if you have Surf, Ice Beam, Flash Cannon and filler, but its just sad that you need to wait a long time to get these TM's and use them up just to get a good set because if you don't, have fun with Aqua Jet and Metal Claw, with Hydro Pump being kind of redundant once Surf is in.
Meanwhile Infernape will get close combat, flare blitz and mach punch naturally, and anything that tickles your fancy for a last spot, and Torterra can Crunch, Wood Hammer and Earthquake shit, both without costing you more than one TM that you have to wait later on for.
>>
>>25882553
Onix has always had shit special stats.
>>
>>25882553
>35 hp
>45 spdef

even if it's resisted it's still gonna do a lot simply because Onix is fucking awful even for early game
>>
Squirtle is easymode. You can easily solo the game with Squirtle alone. Mudkip is strong too.
>>
>>25882613
Depends on the game, Squirtle is great in FRLG, but is quite bad midgame in RBY.
>>
>>25882597
>>25882598
I'd like to remind you that Charmander's Special Attack (or SPECIAL) is not high and Ember has shitty BP.
>>
>>25882061
Chimchar moved to easy mode, Turtwig to normal. Treecko to hard mode, Mudkip to easy mode. Piplup to normal mode, Fennekin to easy mode (Fennekin may be the worst competitively but it's killer in game).
>>
>>25882634
If you are playing blindly I guess. Squirtle learns some good TMs like Earthquake Surf and Ice Beam. If you don't waste exp on other mons Squirtle has no problem with anything in the game.
>>
>>25882613

Yeah, I went through a FR run with just a Blastoise and a Pikachu, plus some HM slaves that never got a fight in. I put the slaves away for the E4.
>>
>>25882639
60 spatk in FRLG is enough, even if it's a 3HKO i guaratee the shit AI in those three turn is gonna do stupid ass moves like Defense Curl or it's gonna miss most attacks
>>
>>25882165
post more hoodie pokemon

it's cute
>>
>>25882639
Charmander's 50 Special is fine enough when your opponent has Onix with 35/30 HP/Special.
>>
>>25882668
I'm mainly talking about the time between 3-6th gym, most of the decent TMs are after that.
Also I was assuming you built a team and not just breezing through the game with just your starter, in which case the only thing anything will struggle about is the first and maybe second gym.
>>
>>25882061
all starters are easy mode
>>
>>25882061
>Tepig
>learns fucktons of TMs
>shits on Cheren, Lenora, Burgh, Brycen, only fairs badly against Skyla, Clay and Marlon

Of course you have to deal with Emboar being the worst starter of all as the price
>>
>>25882061
>Cyndaquil
Whithey's Miltank wants to have a word
>>
>>25882061
>Snivy in normal mode instead of nightmare
That shit has absolutely no moves. I actually ended up boxing mine.
>>
>>25882810
It had to have a shortcoming somewhere
>>
>>25882751
Except Snivy.
>>
File: Ember.webm (177 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
Ember.webm
177 KB, 240x160
>>25882682
>>25882703
I swear to God, anons.
>>
>>25882061
pre special/physical split

>easy mode
Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil,Torchic,Mudkip

>normal mode
Squirtle, Treecko, Chimchar

>hard mode
Charmander, Chikorita

Post Split

>easy
Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Mudkip, Froakie, Chimchar,Torchic

>normal
Squirtle, Treecko, Oshawott, Tepig, Fennekin, Piplup

>hard
Chespin, Snivy, Chikorita, Charmander, Turtwig
>>
>>25882990
Totodile is under hard pre split
>>
>>25882948
Looks like you have some unfavorable natures and IVs.
>>
>>25882948
I am the second guy and was talking about gen I. Onix just spams Bide and you should be easily able to 3KO it with Ember, it doesn't even have a Rock move.

I don't even see the debate in FRLG, since you have Metal Claw.
>>
>>25882933
snivy was easy for me
>>
>>25882245
That's better
>>
>>25882639
>>25882948
In RBY:
Just spam ember, hope for a burn, and use one or two potions. Withdraw and switch out when he Bides or does Screech

In FRLG:
Metal Claw, switch out, potion. Repeat
>>
File: Ember_RBY.webm (172 KB, 204x144) Image search: [Google]
Ember_RBY.webm
172 KB, 204x144
>>25883029
Made me smirk. Naive nature if you are genuinely curious.

>>25883052
>easily able to 3KO
Nope.avi.

As I said "Charmander beating Onix with two hits is as believable as Chikorita beating Pidgeotto with one hit". I've given 2 proofs of that.
And no, Metal Claw does not magically 2HKO. It's 3-4HKO depending on my damage rolls.
>>
>>25883366
>spam shitty non SE attacks over and over
>gets away with it

now try that with Roxanne's Nosepass in Emerald
>>
>>25882357
This. Hell, if it's Gen 1 and not the remakes, Charmander doesn't even have such a hard time against Brock because his pokemon don't actually use any super-effective moves and have such pitifully low Special that Charmander can easily KO them with Ember. Also, either way, after Misty you get Dig and Charmander can learn it. Base 100 power move after second gym is nothing to sneeze at. Bulbasaur starts out having an advantage against the gyms, but is really never particularly powerful in any way unless you have the patience to poison and Leech Seed anything. And even then, the other two will be 2HKOing everything while Bulbasaur waits for its tedious combo to kick in. Squirtle is overall the most useful, though. He can get most of his best moves pretty early and can have enough coverage to never really be at a disadvantage against anything. It's more like:

>easy mode
Squirtle
>normal mode
Charmander
>tedious mode
Bulbasaur
>>
>>25883948
the thing is by the time that Bulbasaur drops in usefulness, you should already have a good team to pick up its slack. Plus, it has enough bulk and power to not be completely useless.

charmander isn't very good in the beginning and isn't particularly good against anything in the late game. its only good match-up is against Erika. Fire is also kind of ass in Gen 1.
>>
File: 1449503045944.png (889 KB, 1025x1000) Image search: [Google]
1449503045944.png
889 KB, 1025x1000
>>25882061
>hard mode
>Piplup
>Surf/Flash Cannon/Ice Beam/Grass Knot Empoleon
>Singlehandedly sweep Sinnoh

I don't think you know what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1459925535240.jpg (555 KB, 933x1024) Image search: [Google]
1459925535240.jpg
555 KB, 933x1024
>>25885467
>fire is kind of ass in gen 1
Huh, never really thought about it
>only hit bug, grass and ice
>ice was neutral on it and ice itself was generally paired up with water with few exceptions like jynx
>flying hit bug and grass too and flying was handy to get to places quicker
>resisted by 4 types it still is now but its improved
>>25885553
>having to stuff all your TM's into a single mon lategame
>suddenly means it swept sinnoh
It might have been good near the end, but actually getting it to that point with its godawful level up moveset is why its hard and frustrating.
>>
>>25882422
I always use Butterfree's Confusion against Brock, because Geodude and Onix have a bad Special value.
>>
>>25882061
I'd say Turtwig starts to lag in the Elite 4.
Also easy mode for gen 5 is boxing your starter.
>>
>>25885965
This. I feel bad about dumping them, but they're awful.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.