[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a good game? Do I buy it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
Is it a good game? Do I buy it?
>>
>>25877262
Not as good as TDS, but better than the garbage called Gates to Infinity
>>
>still no codes for Europe
>>
Ok thanks
>>
>>25877262
Did you like the previous MD games? Then yes, this one is one par with the better installments.
Do you like roguelikes and want a pokemon game of that genre? Then yes, it's worth a try.
>>
>>25877262
How can that charizard mega evolve without a trainer?
>>
>>25877262
Gameplay wise, it's good, probably the best MD so far.
Story wise, it's pretty bad, not terrible, but it's not explorers of sky good.
It allows you to easily recruit most pokemon, and has plenty of interesting mechanics.
It's not too difficult compared to other series. While the story doesn't allows you to grind and is pretty straightforward, it's not too hard thanks to how many items you will have.
Post game is somewhat difficult and you will have problems if you don't optimize your character properly.
If you are used to MD games, it's worth a try.
>>
This is the first Mystery Dungeon i've played. I dont get the appeal.
>>
>>25877503

Try explorers of Time/Darkness. You still might not like it but those games are superior to Super Mystery Dungeon.

SMD was... bad. The story was bad, and story is the only reason to play PMD games. They made the same mistakes with it that they did with XY/ORAS- bloated story that doesn't amount to much. And the most retarded """twist"""" I've ever seen.
>>
>>25877554

What was so bad about it?
>>
>>25877577

There's a lot of reasons I personally think it was a weak entry to the series (Though I never played gates).

Gameplay wise it fixed a few things from previous games, but took away the ability to nickname any of your Pokemon besides you and your partner. Pokemon that you link with will randomly decide to go on vacation, making it hard to build a team YOU like to use. It felt like the higher leveled the Pokemon, the more often it'd become unavailable to use, for longer. So on one hand you can use a level 50 Salamence, but only sometimes. They tried to balance it, but at that point it was pointless to me when all I wanted to do was build a fun team to use... consistently. Not being able to nickname was the worst, though.

Story wise, there's just a lot wrong with it. Overall it suffers from a case of too many characters that don't serve any real purpose. Near the climax of the story they keep raising the stakes over and over again but it never amounts to anything worthwhile. I really don't want to spoil the story but it info dumps/summarizes the plot before an "emotional" scene which ruined it. It got preachy, but never built up the right to get preachy- there was very little foreshadowing if any. It was pretty bad. You can look it up on youtube.

It might be a game for kids, but PMD2 still managed to have a fun, immersive story that got the job done and tied up most loose ends. SPM is several steps down from that- plot wise it's even weaker than the first PMD, which still managed to be a decent story.

It also doesn't look all that great. Animations are stiff and dead looking, especially when you're walking around in dungeons. Kind of nitpicky, but whatever.

Combining all of this I definitely wouldn't recommend spending actual money on it. Sometimes the charm that made the previous games shine shows through but mostly it's just lifeless and uninspired.
>>
It's good but the first half before lively town is garbage
>>
How is the Mystery dungeon, explorers of darkness?

I saw it for $15 recently.
>>
>>25877957
Great. Doesn't have as many features as Explorers of Sky, but totally worth picking up if you want to give the series a shot.
>>
>>25877770
I feel you
I got tired of the game and decided to sell it
I didn't even finished it
>>
>>25877770
I'm not OP but...you convinced me not to buy the game. I wanted to get in the Mystery Dungeon series but maybe I'll just avoid it.
>>
Gameplay is fine but spamming reviver seeds makes everything too easy. I wish there isn't a gold bar system.
>>
>>25878349
Buy explorers of sky instead.
>>
>>25878385

Aftermarket prices on that game are retarded.
>>
>>25877262
Its pretty enjoyable, I bought it recently as well, and im on Chapter 11 now. Sky is still better though.
>>
>>25878317

I trudged through the whole game hoping it would get better, but it didn't.

>>25878349

Yeah, if I had known it'd be so disappointing I wouldn't have bought it. But give the other PMDs a try sometime if you're still curious. PMD Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky are my favorite Pokemon games of all time, and definitely worth a play through.
>>
>>25878414
I found one that was $40 awhile ago, so not too ridiculous.
>>
File: 1459367744517.jpg (124 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
1459367744517.jpg
124 KB, 500x388
First 5 hours of the game sucks ass. It's like a massive tutorial that just wastes your time. I think the new mechanics bring the game down. I regret buying SMD and would rather play Sky or even Gates instead.
>>
Did anyone else think the accuracy of moves went down a fuck ton?
>>
I thought it was the best but I guess that opinion is unpopular
>>
>>25878512
Basically for the whole timespan you're going to the village school I'd say.
>>
>>25878739
I agree with you; I think it and Sky are tied for best with each having its pros and cons like anything

IMO Super has a -grander- if not necessarily outright better story, a better OST, better and more challenging gameplay, plus it includes every pokemon so every karenfag will get their bro sooner or later
Sky has better, more memorable characters, more story in the postgame, arguably better plot, and the Special Episodes are the best thing ever added to a PMD game
>>
>>25878841
Yeah, going from being a freelance search and rescue team and a professional world explorer to fucking pokemon pre-school was quite a downgrade for me. The beginning of the game was such an unpleasant slog that I nearly dropped the game
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.