[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /vp/ hate smogon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11
File: good_boy.jpg (23 KB, 578x327) Image search: [Google]
good_boy.jpg
23 KB, 578x327
Why does /vp/ hate smogon?
>>
make battling not as fun with pedantic rules that limit people
/thread
>>
Stop copying your team constellation from smogon and build your own team for battling online. I hate these little fags who copy the attack and team constellation from smogon and calling others noobs.

And then they get they ass beaten by a 6x heatmor team.
>>
They have established one of the most boring and uninteresting formats I have ever seen in any competitive scene ever. Also they have hordes of underaged drones that suck their dick day and night and will defend them to their last breath because they lack any kind of creativity or game knowledge to come up with a good set or team by themselves so they copy everything from their cookiecutter generic sets.
>>
>>25847918
This is literally just a meme from /vp. Doesn't represent Smogon at all. Please educate yourself on how tiering works/why it is used.

>>25847943
That's only the bottom of the ladder. If you were actually decent competitively, you would know that once you get to mid-high on the ladder, people predict those sets and have to use creative teams.
>>
>>25847910

>Nobody plays 6v6 without legends
>Wifi is shit
>hears of smogon
>hears of showdown
>uses his stanrdad wifi team
>banned.png
>makes shitty team with non banned mons
>OU
>can't get past 1200
>nobody wants to play like he wants
>"smogon sucks man, they ban everything, no fun allowed"
>"If you agree with them, you are a faggot".
>>
>>25847983
I just don't understand this. How is the Smogon format the least creative? Smogon OU is so incredibly diverse compared to VGC. People make "smogonbird" jokes and shit, even though Smogon by far has the most diverse metagame. Look up the top VGC teams. All of them use the same exact OP mons. And also, you do know that there are other tiers than OU? There are at least 6 more tiers that exist in order to allow mons like Electrode, Tentacruel, and even fucking baby stages to be viable.
>>
>>25848031
>Trying to hammer sense into a low ladder fag.
>>
>>25847983
You do realize that the only people who use the recommended sets are the people who are at the bottom of the ladder? Maybe if you didn't suck, you would see that teams past 1200 don't use those sets because people know what they are.
>>
File: awful movie.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
awful movie.gif
1 MB, 500x281
I don't hate their rules. I'm very happy that the tier system was made and that they expanded to doubles. They make battling a lot easier and more accessible.

That being said, they can over moderate a little. Geninja, Mega Mawile, Aegislash Landorus-I (and not Landorus T for some fucking reason?) were unneeded and I think that Blaziken, one of the Deo forms and Genesect can all be left without as much damage to the meta.

Also, the fact that they analyze pokemon in a way that makes it so any 12 year old can go on and copy and paste a set and win. Smogon forums get rid of originality, which is why so many console users are so loyal to their formats.
>>
>>25848086
Bans aren't "decided" by Smogon. They're decided by usage stats. If a Pokemon is being over centralized, it gets banned. It has nothing to do with how "good" it is.
>>
>>25848043
You have to go deeper faggot; if all these "pros" dismiss smogon sets because everyone knows them, then using them will be the new surprise
>>
>>25847910
Karenfags who think Smogonfags tell people what to use.

If anything, Karenfags should appreciate Smogon tiers. It lets your favorite shitmons and NFEs actually be viable.
>>
>>25848110
No, straight up bans aren't decided by usage stats, but by voting. The suspect tested pokémon is question is rarely the absolutely most used pokémon in the tier it is suspected in. Tier shifts and bans aren't the same.
>>
>>25847943
Well why wouldn't people use the best sets?
>>
>>25847910
Mostly because said people have no idea why tiers exist.
Just about every blind hater thinks that tiers are for discouraging use of lower tier pokémon upper tiers, when it's actually to give said pokémon a place to thrive.
>>
NO EVASION
NO FREEZE
NO SLEEP
NO STOP STATUSING ME NOT FAIR
SMOGON: THE TEAM: THE MOVIE: THE EXPERIENCE
STOP USING THAT
WAAAAAAAAA

Smogon is full of faggots who think they're great players after banning usage of anything they have trouble with, despite only using the same sets they see everyone else use. Not only are they obnoxious, they're shit.
>>
>>25848043
Not true at all. I see high ladder players all the time using those sets. Do you know why? Because often times they are the best sets for that purpose like most people run the same Clef set because it is EV'd to live 2 Keldeo Hydropumps with the rest in Def. Why would you not run that? Or how about specs Hoopa? Tons of people are using it on high ladder. Please actually look at high ladder play before you post.
>>
Because they discredited themselves with the April 1st fake leaks.
>>
>>25848801

No Evasion and Sleep are the only true things on that list, and why should someone be allowed to sleep a whole team? Doesn't seem fair to me "But muh lum berry" Yes, lets just run Lum berry on everything
>>
>>25848110

That is literally completely wrong. Have you played a smogon metagame in your life?
>>
>>25848768
>hurr you should be grateful that Smogon calls your favorites shit murr
>>
>>25849971
Tiers like NU and lower gives a far better battelground for shitmons than using a team composed of them in higher tier or any VGC format.
Being triggered by terms like NU and stuff like that is just stupid.
>>
>>25849971
>hurr my bros farfetch'd and cryogonal are totally viable against version mascots and mega pseudos if you can't make them work you need to stop copying smogon and GIT GUD XD
>>
>>25848028
100% this
>>
>>25848031
This times a million. Literally every VGC team is Kyogre/Groudon, Xerneas, Kangaskhan, Talonflame, Smeargle, and Cresselia.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (99 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
99 KB, 600x800
I copy all my pokemon from smogon and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
>>25848086
>any 12 year old can go on and copy and paste a set and win
If you get beat by copy-paste sets then you suck. Thats all there is to it. If you KNOW EXACTY WHAT MOVES they're going to use, then you should be able to plan for it and beat them. If you're not smart enough to take advantage of that knowledge then it's your fault
>>
>>25847910
Underaged.
>>
>>25850088
there is something i can do about it. I can beat you because predicting is way easier if i know what you're using
>>
>>25849971
Not a single one of my top ten are past RU.
They are shit. Absolute shit. And I recognize that. So I battle in NU and RU.
Kill yourself.
>>
The people on here who hate Smogon are either ignorant of it or just bad.

Showdown lets you play a wide variety of tiers and even VGC format. The special formats of the month like Ability Unity and Volt Turn Madness are especially fun, but I'm sure Smogon haters don't even about that side of Smogon.
>>
My first time trying to make a pokemon without guide or smogon

please be gentle...

Electivire @ Assault Vest
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 168 HP / 172 Atk / 168 Def
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch
- Cross Chop
>>
>>25850364
Not bad.Try to replace the Assault Vest with an Air Balloon and see which one works for you.In double battles,it would be great if you pair it with another electric type(or any type) that knows Discharge,because you will be able to hit both of your opponents and Elecrivire will get faster each time you use discharge.Just don't use Pokemon with Lightning Rod,because Thunder Punch will become useless.

Maybe I shouldn't be giving advice,becuase I'm a newbie as well,but whatever.
>>
>>25850587
Thanks for the reply. I'm doing NU singles for now and this set I had a bulky Electivire in mind. The Assault Vest is meant to bolster the special defense up. Air Balloon would be great for countering its only weakness so we'll see how the vest fairs.

I really have no idea how the EV spreads work other than multiple of fours up to 252.
>>
>>25848031
Honestly, before they removed a fuckton of restrictions, VGC was far more interesting and fun to play. Looking up 2-3 years ago yelds great battles.

Anyway, not the same guy, I dislike Smogon purely because they attempt to turn competitive an inherently non-competitive game. Pokemon is simply one of those games where the better player won't win with a tolerable ratio. Pick chess for turn based things, or FPSes or fighters if you want a video game. In either of those cases, whomever truly played best will win most of times, Pokemon is too RNG heavy for this and this is an issue that is such a big part of its core that simple bans wouldn't solve it. It'd require changing it so much you'd question wheter you're still playing the original thing.
>>
File: samuraijack.jpg (23 KB, 526x358) Image search: [Google]
samuraijack.jpg
23 KB, 526x358
because some fuckstick can have a full team of '~totally legit bro~' shiny legendaries but I can't have a fucking wobbuffet
>>
>>25851451
>i can't play with my easy win button
poor you
>>
File: 1457483422162.jpg (22 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
1457483422162.jpg
22 KB, 396x400
>>25851451
Wobbuffet is PU, legal on all tiers, what on fucking earth are you talking about?
>>
>most arguments against them are "I DONT LIKE WHAT THEY DO"

You realize you don't have to use their tiers right?
>>
>>25852460
>Why don't you like X?
>Because I don't like what they do

Sounds perfectly justifiable to me. I don't need to stop playing Pokemin to dislike GF. Why else would you dislike Smogon? They killed your puppy?
>>
>>25848031
> Smogon OU is so incredibly diverse compared to VGC
That's because half of the smogon players don't know what they are doing, the fact that even showderp can get some win should tell you something.

Also I personnaly don't like them because they are fucking hypocrite, they ban a very specifique moveset that only showderp use to troll but in the same time they say that they don't do complex bans
>>
>>25852560
>That's because half of the smogon players don't know what they are doing, the fact that even showderp can get some win should tell you something.
That's true for low ladder VGC play too. ELO shitters exist in all formats.
>>
itt: anti-smogonfags grasping at straws to defend their shit arguments
>>
Because Smogon has inflated egos the size of the sun, thinking that they're hot shit then when people use unconventional strategies they start crying and throwing tantrums because they're either children or pedophiles.
>>
>>25852560
Gotta admit, Funbro is hilarious, but when I did it in actual pokemon everyone raged. It pretty much gives the person only the option to give up or wait until you give up.
They simply gave in to whinners.
>>
File: 1389353559274.jpg (82 KB, 323x462) Image search: [Google]
1389353559274.jpg
82 KB, 323x462
I dislike that some pokemon that shouldnt be in ubers get banned there.
That goes for pokemon that I dont even use as well.
Getting Mega Rayq outta there makes sense to me, but I'm not bothered by people using ghost sword or ninja frog and the like.
>>
>>25852654
>low elo does it so everyone does, r-right guys?
kill yourself
>>
>AG
>literally Anything Goes
>funbro is banned
This is some bullshit.
>>
>>25852560
>>25852715
>>25852664
I heard that Greninja was banned because they dont do complex bans, so how did funbro get banned but not slowbro as a whole?
Forgive my ignorance
>>
>>25848801
*tips minimize*
>>
>>25852432
Its good ability, shadow tag, is banned.

Mostly because of gothitelle antics
>>
Lots of underage ITT.
>>
>>25852770
Funbro wasn't the only way to reach turn 2014.

You could use mew, gothitelle and a couple others too.
It's the most complex ban you can imagine with like 50 specific subrules.
>>
>>25852770
The complex ban defense is a bit contrary. Greninja+Protean would be a complex ban. Banning just Protean isn't, but that would make not broken pokémon like Kecleon less useful. However they had no problem doing just that when it comes to Shadow Tag and how it affected Wobbuffet.

The endless battle clause is odd. Instead of making a complex ban they should have just banned Leppa Berry, it's no like people use it outside of funbro strategies anyway.

All this is kind of redundant when the Baton Pass clause exists, which is very complex.
>>
>>25852884
And they just straight away banned blaziken and not the ability.
>1000%mad.jpg
>>
File: 1378079208373.gif (453 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
1378079208373.gif
453 KB, 210x210
>>25852770
>>25852840
>>25852884
>>25852929
So Smogon is hypocrites? Or at least arbitrary and capricious.
>>
>>25852929
Because the ability itself isn't a gamebreaker. Ninjask is a fun user of it.
Ideally they'd ban the ability on Blaziken, but they're scared of -"any slightly complex ban, the few they have took too long to be implemented.
>>
>>25852802
73% underage IIRC
>>
>>25852975
Smogon are hypocritical assholes who literally only bans what they personally don't like. They didn't like Greninja, so they banned Greninja. Simple as that.
>>
>>25847918
>/threading your own post
fucking newfags, lurk moar
>>
File: 1458733961572.png (382 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1458733961572.png
382 KB, 850x850
Your rules are gay, 6v6 no res singles all day
>>
Would my team fly on showdown?

Hippowdon
Sandstream, leftovers
Ferrothron
Rocky helmet, ironbarbs
Jellicent
Waterabsorb, mental herb
Charizard y
Solar power, y stone
Serperior
Conteary, life orb
Infernape
Iron fist, choice scarf
>>
>>25853380
No problems in OU or beyond.
>>
File: seriously nigga?.jpg (180 KB, 861x1024) Image search: [Google]
seriously nigga?.jpg
180 KB, 861x1024
>>25850088
>not copying Showderp memes
>>
File: 1433571784396.jpg (30 KB, 512x368) Image search: [Google]
1433571784396.jpg
30 KB, 512x368
Because they think they bullied /vp/'s favourite mons by saying they're not as good as pseudo legendaries or box legends, so its an outrage their favourites are ranked lower for not being used as much as a garchomp.
>>
>>25853172

That's literally not true. A lot of people loved Greninja. I loved Greninja, it was my favorite pokemon to use in OU and I voted to ban it. Why? Because I knew how to put my bias aside. Anyone using their bias to vote probably aren't good enough to get reqs to vote anyway. Those that really care about the meta and can put their bias aside(which is pretty much everyone who votes) will make the effort to ladder up and vote on what is best for the meta, not what they like and dislike. You're probably one of the same people that will say Hoopa U shouldn't be banned just because you hate stall.
>>
File: 1456716927698.png (50 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1456716927698.png
50 KB, 360x360
well, honestly, i'd take any pokemon analysis & ev training regimen made by smogon w/ a grain of salt.
most of them are impractical, if not foolhardy, in most real world situations.
@ the very least, it points you ROUGHLY in the direction
>>
>>25853172

Nice meme m8 :)

Play more OU and listen to people's reasonings on smogon and you'll see why that's not even slightly true.
>>
Personally, I appreciate their tier system. Almost all of my favorite Pokemon are UU tier or below, so I can play with them without having to worry about LE BRABEST BIRB coming down and easy winning all over me. I also love that they rank Pokemon's Megas and base forms separately, which lets me use Heracross in UU. Just overall a pretty convenient system.

That said, their bans can be a bit silly and contradictory. It's not a perfect competitive system, but I think it has more pros than cons.
>>
>>25852991
They should have just banned Speed Boost. Pokémon like Ninjask are shit now anyway since the Baton Pass clause exist, something I'm sure wouldn't be as strict if Speed Boost was downright banned.
>>
>>25853691
I really hope you don't expect me to treat you seriously with a post like that.
>>
>>25852884
>they should have just banned Leppa Berry
They actually did fix it a little, but it's still complex.

Now they banned just heal pulse and leppa+trick separately.
And if metronome/assist calls trick, some weird shit happens. The recipient is marked as caught in a loop, and two loops ends the fight instantly.
>>
>>25853772
Are they really scared of it happening through Metronome? That makes no sense.
>>
>>25853856
Some of their bans makes no sense tbqh fampai
>>
>>25853766

Was I suppose to take someone who doesn't do their own research seriously? "I don't like X Mon so it shouldn't be banned or I like y Mon so it should stay" are not arguments that any serious smogon players use. If you truly believe that then you haven't done your own research.
>>
Didn't they at one point ban Lucario because it was "too unpredictable" ???

I don't even like Lucario, but that seems like such a pussy move
>>
>>25854000
they banned Mega Lucario. And it still is banned. The problem with it is that it's too powerful specially AND physically with access to +2 set up moves on either end and by the time you can tell which one it is it's usually already too late.
>>
>HURR PEOPLE JUST COPY THEIR SETS!!!

Do you clowns not realize that most Smogon sets are simply the ideal ones?

If smogon never existed most people would still be giving their Scizors Bullet Punch, U-Turn and Superpower.
>>
>>25847910
I don't hate smogon, I just don't acknowdge it or any of that tier shit. Why would I, anyway?
>>
>>25852975
The goal isn't "no complex bans", it's "avoid complex bans" and when complex bans are necessary, make them as simple as possible

for example
>>25852884
you can't ban leppa berry even if it literally affects funbro strategies and them alone because leppa berry isn't broken at all. You target something broken and try to figure out the simplest way to remove it that also does not invalidate other strategies

i don't know why they banned shadow tag wobb since i wasn't paying attention to the meta with gothitelle in it
>>
>>25854162
shadow tag was banned because it was unhealthy. The existence of gothitelle stall was a cancer over centralizing and flooding the meta with stall teams. Wobuffet was hit with the recoil of this descision, but it too had a part to play in the banning as the existence of tickle + banded pursuit users was a garunteed balance breaker and almost as unhealthy.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.